Author Topic: BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]  (Read 625584 times)

Offline RDJP

is off somewhere, looking for his cane.

• Rate Post
Re: BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]
« Reply #450 on: January 16, 2013, 12:54:29 »
With my feet together, I told my NCO that my devices were handed over as per instruction on week one but on the first weekend, I discovered that they were left unlocked and thus unsecured over the weekend, (they opened up the locker but didn't lock it up at night etc)  Believe it or not but they didn't challenge me and I kept my stuff for the rest of course.

Now I await the onslaught of challenges to the above statement.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.  It's always a Pandora's Box to take someone's personal devices, unless you know for a fact they can be kept secure.  Otherwise, you open yourself up to all sorts of issues.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #451 on: January 16, 2013, 12:56:46 »
The CFLRS SOP addresses this issue quite nicely IMO.

- candidate retains possession (and responsibility for security) of their device(s), however they go into a container with a seal that is signed by the candidate and instructor.  You can see 'em, but you can't use them.   >:D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:59:31 by Eye In The Sky »
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Proud_Canadian

• Rate Post
« Reply #452 on: January 16, 2013, 13:31:22 »
The CFLRS SOP addresses this issue quite nicely IMO.

- candidate retains possession (and responsibility for security) of their device(s), however they go into a container with a seal that is signed by the candidate and instructor.  You can see 'em, but you can't use them.   >:D

That might have come in after my time.  Sometimes its worth to challenged authority.  I'm starting to get into territory I do not know all that much about and is not relevent to this forum, but at least this last summer, the Infantry school at CTC Gagetown was inspecting every persons kit and quarters for explosives upon leaving course.  Now they say it was authorized by the CO, right or wrong I do not know, but this is the same Canadian Forces that lost the right to hold Court Martial about 5 years ago because they were in violation of the Charter of Rights.  This was after dozens of years of court Martial... just no one had challenged it.

Edit:  Parliament quickly passed a law to am mend the court martial process.  http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=40c38ebe-6d5d-4e7f-b6d0-e53b0d03dc38&sponsor=
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 18:11:01 by The_Green_Basterd »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #453 on: January 16, 2013, 15:15:00 »
I think you're misinformed.....court martials still happen.  But lets not derail this thread about CMs.

The SOP I reviewed today was signed off Jan '12.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 15:18:48 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline west_coaster

• Rate Post
« Reply #454 on: January 23, 2013, 14:54:00 »
But, what are the actual rules/regulations on that though?

Then be an example and leave yours in the barracks, it's a privilege, not a requirement.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #455 on: January 23, 2013, 15:00:52 »

Jesus. This has to be a record, we don't even have to ask that you do a search, someone posted the rules about five up.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 15:29:04 by Scott »
Be nice for no reason.

Offline mld

• Rate Post
  • Attitude is half the battle.
« Reply #456 on: January 23, 2013, 15:32:42 »

:brickwall:

Can't we all just get along?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #457 on: January 23, 2013, 16:59:44 »

Forgive me, I made it too hard.  My bad.

Click on these underlined words and magic picture-box will show the rules    :blotto:   Helpful Internet Elves have painted some of the words in the color yellow to make it easy and fun for the whole family!

* some assembly required, batteries not included.  Choking hazard for children under 5 and/or stupid adults.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 17:04:39 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #458 on: January 23, 2013, 17:45:18 »
What's even better, is that this information on this topic is provided to CFRCs and is suppose to be provided by Recruiting Centres to all "new" enrollee's...   :facepalm:
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me with an email address!  I don't bite........

Offline CF_wife

• Rate Post
« Reply #459 on: February 04, 2013, 14:12:25 »
These rules as outlined above are being administered and followed.  My husband is currently at BMQ.  He has his smartphone but it is in lockup until 6pm at night (and even then its always at the discretion of his staffs).  And while he may have access to it, it certainly does not mean he has the time to use it.   Some weeks they are allowed to use it between time X and time X... other nights it's not at all.   

He was told very clearly in his orientation before his swearing in, what he could and could not bring - and even then not to expect to be able to have access to it every evening. 

My only suggestion is get an otterbox or something for your phone.. those floors are hard.. phones shatter easily.  Not that I am speaking from experience or anything ;) 

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #460 on: February 04, 2013, 15:45:50 »
I dont want to be the one to personally crush someone's dreams   :P

You can get used to it, and even come to enjoy it eventually.

Offline Mudshuvel

• C&E Info lives here
  • Mentor
  • Rate Post
  • Aerospace Telecommunications & Information Systems
« Reply #461 on: February 04, 2013, 20:17:58 »
I have 2 kids, both under three (at the time), a wife who was helping out my mother who had broken her neck and I didn't even own a cellphone. I lived, whereas the 18 year old on the other side of the wall from me panicked because his girlfriend works at DQ and gets hit on, somehow his iPhone was going to save his relationship.

I saw my uncle survive Cornholis, and they dumbed down portions of BMQ now, hence my survival. BMQ should be less like university. Yea, they want to keep VR's down, how the hell are they going to survive deployments if they can't survive 3 months in basic. Hell, they even get to get those pesky French diseases after 5 weeks.

Repeated and cited much what was said before, but my  :2c:
"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."
- Marshal Ferdinand Foch [Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre] (circa 1911)
He was Supreme Commander of Allied forces, 1918

If you have questions: go to Google, type  "Site:army.ca",  followed by a space any keywords related to what you're looking for.

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #462 on: February 04, 2013, 23:07:45 »
Hell, they even get to get those pesky French diseases after 5 weeks.

Huh? Enlighten me please. What are those pesky French diseases you speak of?
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2013, 12:53:46 »
Huh? Enlighten me please. What are those pesky French diseases you speak of?

:pop: Can't wait to hear this...
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline NavalMoose

• Rate Post
  • "Life in a blue suit"
« Reply #464 on: February 05, 2013, 13:01:54 »
"mal de mer" ?

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #465 on: February 05, 2013, 14:13:19 »
"Les Pappillons d'amour"?
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #466 on: February 05, 2013, 16:51:27 »
Le clap.   ;)
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline AshleyDawn

• Rate Post
« Reply #467 on: May 23, 2013, 19:39:25 »
Maybe I'm weird, but having no electronics and no real communication to the outside world for the first few weeks of training, in my opinion, should be part of the experience. I can't even imagine how BMW would have been different if I had my cell phone, or even a laptop.

I remember being really excited when we were allowed to use the payphone to call home, lol.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #468 on: May 23, 2013, 20:21:54 »
Imagine how people feel who can't afford a BMW!!

Offline Johnny Reb

• Rate Post
« Reply #469 on: May 27, 2013, 20:56:21 »
The only thing I see this being good for is if someone wanted to call home and check up on things or whatever, other than that if you cant handle a couple of weeks without a cellphone, you got problems.

Offline C.G.R

• Rate Post
« Reply #470 on: May 28, 2013, 03:32:40 »
How can you go without a cell phone on BMQ?! How else would you be able to upload hero pics to facebook?? It is imperative that the world sees you aiming your empty C7 at a wall in the bathroom!
Don't outsmart your common sense.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #471 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:13 »
 :rofl:

MikeL

« Reply #472 on: May 28, 2013, 12:45:13 »
How can you go without a cell phone on BMQ?! How else would you be able to upload hero pics to facebook?? It is imperative that the world sees you aiming your empty C7 at a wall in the bathroom!

http://www.brokenandunreadable.com/broken%20and%20unreadable%2021%20color.jpg

Offline Wpns Tech

• Gun Plumber
  • Rate Post
  • SUA TELA TONANTI
« Reply #473 on: May 28, 2013, 12:45:44 »

Without a shirt on and sporting dog tags of course !

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #474 on: June 04, 2013, 13:35:32 »

I did mine in Borden, 06, we had the rules that, "after 1800 hrs, after the 4th week etc. " not during the 4 week indoc though, we were allowed to use the payphones etc, or if you were on door duty and knew how to use the base phone you could use it. I have been succesful in my career thus far, and the ability to use my cell phone after week four has not hindered that one bit. I know many SNCOs that have told me I would deploy with you again.

Even on my BMQ I had a bit of a family emergency in the first four weeks, Staff came to me, said come to civi lockup, get your cellphone and call home. It was that simple.

We are going through a changing of the guard. Technology is there, its small, its easily affordable, and the batteries last a long time. The old guard, 15+years in, may not of had cell phones affordable etc. So yes, you had to make do without them. Its pretty easy to say "I didn't need that" when the said item did not exist. I think its not so much a matter of being under a comms lockout from Family anymore. Its more of making people work, showing them realities, putting them through the strain of it all (BFT…..laugh go ahead…field, drill, etc). One of the realities is,  is that in 98% of this world the CF has comms available. Only places its scarce is the poles. We always have a way of contacting back, whether you are on the ships using BGANs, or storms, or calling in port, in the middle of Afghanistan with a jail broken Iphone.

And yes to the whole hero shot thing, but I remember people even on my BMQ go get inked with the course number, and one even VRd during the field!! There are always those special people folks, always.

However, the other statements about not hearing from months on end?? my father was in Haiti early 90s, we still heard from him once a week. Even in my recent deployments in Africa, Afghanistan etc. I was always able to make a quick call say I am OK. (it helps being a sig too) We have become a technology driven military. If you weren't able to call at least once a week, especially in the sandbox throughout the past 6-8 years (unless one of our brothers had fallen). It was your CoCs decision (or someone was being greedy and keeping it hush hush), to make the Iridium available, They paid many a dollar for them. I have seen with my own eyes some of the monthly bills for the iridium phones, and the SATCOMM links that carried the welfare and voice links back to Canada. They are insanely expensive. So they were being used (and heavily). Even when my girlfriend would spend the night, her dad would call her cell phone, while he was in the box, on a regular basis. I understand that yes sometimes a new camp/FOB within the first few weeks will not have instant access, however there was always the Iridium's. Even then, as a sigs guy, I know comms comes 2nd, behind security, it is one of the top priorities when building a FOB.

For the SOF guys, I definitely can see this being totally different. Leaving at the drop of a hat etc. not being able to talk for weeks on end, maybe months, but for the rest of us, not so much, but the fact you may not be able to call/contact due to mission requirements is a given in that. You work for them, you have to expect that.

But, what I completely disagree with is this;

POET training, a fair amount  of geeky kids, play games such as WoW etc. Well, these kids would play all night every night, fail POs, keep their roommates up etc. However, when it came down to it, because they paid for the internet, they were allowed too, no way the staff could say no to them having internet (violation of human rights because they were paying for said service). Well then the staff tried no electronics. that's great, however, when on a 9 month course, of course your going to bring your car. So the electronics were stored in the cars. It was a mess. At somepoint, there has to be the ability to say "your wasting military money on training you, we are taking away the internet."

Its the trades training that instill the discipline nowadays, not so much the BMQ.
I am McLovin