Author Topic: The WTF News Files  (Read 268379 times)

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
Re: The WTF News Files
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 21:07:42 »
Heck, even Canadians that go to medical school abroad and want to come back to practice have to go through the same shyte and abuse as any other foreign medical grad and compete for residency positions like anyone else...it's not racial discrimination, it's discrimination based on standards of practices and training.

:2c:

Heck, let's not even talk about the hoops people in the medical field have to jump just to qualify to work in another province.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 21:33:04 »
Having written the Professional Practice Exam myself, someone who has attempted and failed 3 times to pass it really should not be considered suitable for acceptance as a P.Eng.

If language was the cause for failure, then obviously the person is going to have a very difficult time working with colleagues and clients.

The author points out that people from some countries get "better treatment" because of international agreements between signature nations. The Washington Accord allows for recognition of accredited programs between jurisdictions, however a lot of time and effort has gone into assessing programs to ensure that they are equivalent to those in the other nations. You can be sure that if someone presents a diploma and transcripts from an Engineering School or Institution accredited under the Washington Accord is equivalent to one in Canada, the US or other signatory country.

As for language, cultural and racial discrimination, race does not effect your ability as an engineer. Cultural issues may make the work environment difficult, but again does not effect one's ability as an engineer. But as I stated above, language is a big deal when you are working in a team environment, and are trying to explain the reasons you decided to use this design methodology over another and can't get the points across. Or trying to write a specification on the requirements for a critical fabrication to be incorporated into a structure.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 21:51:38 »
Heck, let's not even talk about the hoops people in the medical field have to jump just to qualify to work in another province.

Off-topic, but if a military medical professional gets posted between provinces, does s/he have to take provincial equivalency exams?  I remember that in some postings, nurses and doctors sometimes work in a nearby civ hospital as well.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 22:09:28 »
Off-topic, but if a military medical professional gets posted between provinces, does s/he have to take provincial equivalency exams?  I remember that in some postings, nurses and doctors sometimes work in a nearby civ hospital as well.

From what I got from a family member who moved from ON to NS, it's more of a background/certification process.

So, does that mean that people who don't want to go through the (sometimes crazy long and extremely precise) work to get certified in another province can put in a discrimination complaint because they don't want to go through the hassle?
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2014, 00:32:16 »

At least for medicine, if you have a license in one province, you can USUALLY apply to, and of course pay, the provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons for licensure, limited or otherwise...Quebec has a lot of other rules to get licensed there, which makes it difficult for CF docs that get posted there to moonlight.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2014, 08:42:54 »

Further to what's been written above, an MO, NO or PharmO posted from one province to another will only need to obtain a new provincial registration if they wish to work outside of the military milieu. The requirement to practice solely in the military context is that they be registered with any provincial college, not necessarily the one that governs the province in which they currently reside.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2014, 20:54:35 »
And from Alabama:

House fire sparked by family cleaning up toilet paper thrown in trees

Posted on: 9:41 pm, January 21, 2014, by Andrew Lynch

DORA, Ala. — After neighborhood kids had rolled a tree in the Crausewell family’s yard in toilet paper last Saturday, Cheryl Crausewell and her son tackled the task of cleaning up the mess on Monday. FOX affiliate WBRC reports that with some toilet paper still left in a magnolia tree, they tried to use a lighter to get rid of it.

But that decision sparked a nightmare for the family when the home they had lived in for the past 12 years went up in flames. The piece of toilet paper they had set on fire was blown into the yard by a gust of wind.

Soon after the grass was on fire. The fire spread to the backyard where it picked up fuel from a grill’s propane tank. By that time, the family was in full evacuation mode.

“You’re just doing what you have to do to get everybody out,” Crausewell told WBRC.

Crausewell, her son, her mother, her aunt and her aunt’s caregiver were all able to safely evacuate. The home was declared a total loss, but the family plans to rebuild on the same property with the aid of homeowner’s insurance.

Crausewell told WBRC that she’s been the recipient of an outpouring of support from her family, church and has received a visit from the mayor of Dora. She said the experience put everything in perspective.

“It just brings it home how precious life is and all these things really don’t matter,” she told WBRC.

More here, including video.

Oh, BTW, in the video I think you can see the tree in the background, still standing.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2014, 22:09:35 »
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Man at airport provokes panic by declaring he has bomb in his rectum
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2014, 13:02:07 »
 :o A rectal bomb?

Man Detained at Airport After Announcing 'I Have a Bomb In My A**

According to the South China Morning Post, a periodical I like to read regularly, a man was arrested and placed in detention for five days after announcing he had a bomb hidden in his rectum while going through a security checkpoint at Terminal 3 at Beijing Capital International Airport on Monday.

According to a report, the passenger was in a hurry to catch a flight and displayed visible signs of anxiety while making numerous complaints about the slow moving security line. Upon arriving at the security screening, the man was asked to remove his shoes. Apparently that was the last straw and he asked the security official the following provocative question: “Do I need to drop my pants as well? I have a bomb in my a**."

The security official then reportedly asked the man what must have been the English equivalent of "Come again?" And according to the report, the weary traveler repeated that he was in possession of bomb and confirmed its location. At that point, a security alert was activated, the checkpoint was shut down and passengers were evacuated for their own safety.

More @ Breitbart

Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:10 »
(Liverpool, U.K.) Council to ban people from eating fish and chips with their fingers

Council killjoys want to ban chip shop punters from eating with their fingers.

Chiefs at Liverpool City Council came up with the bonkers idea, which has been slammed as "health and safety gone mad" by locals.

But Nick Small, Liverpool council's enterprise chief said the move was intended to tackle city centre littering.

He told the Liverpool Sunday Echo: "We don’t want people buying chips, eating them outside and  then dropping their litter.”

The new rules will apply to city centre businesses with outdoor seating areas - known as pavement cafes.

Any new business bidding for a pavement cafe licence will now be ordered to serve food on plates with cutlery, rather than in paper bags or polystyrene trays.

The move will mainly affect fast food outlets, chippies, kebab houses and takeaways.

Cllr Small said: “We can see the benefits of pavement cafes being there, we just want them to up their standards.

“For any new business with a pavement cafe, we are going to make sure they give out plates and cutlery.”

Asked whether existing businesses will have to follow this new rule, Cllr Small said: “We can’t go back and review licences we have already issued, but we would like all businesses with pavement cafes to start issuing plates and cutlery voluntarily." ....
More here
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2014, 10:23:53 »
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2014, 12:14:48 »
From yesterday's Daily Sun newspaper front page published where I am at present in Africa.  Shared under provisions of Sec 29 of the copyright act. 

My wife spotted the headline and lost her composure...  of course, I HAD to buy a copy of the paper. 

CHICKEN RAPIST PAYS DAMAGES!
- Furious owner: He looked happy... he was enjoying himself

by Alex Nkosi

When the 17-year old boy took a long time to pluck the chickens, Dimakatso went to find out what was happening.
What she saw has put her off chicken for the rest of her life.
THE BOY WAS POKING ONE OF THE DEAD CHICKENS!

Dimakatso Marolota (23), from Mahwelereng, near Mokopane, Limpopo said she had asked the teenager to slaughter and clean the chickens for her.  "He had the chicken in his lap and was busy raping it from behind while plucking it", she said.  "He looked happy.  It was obvious he was enjoying himself." 

Dimakatso then checked the other chicken and found that it had also been violated.  "The boy confessed to me that chickens turn him on,  I have never seen something like this before.  I have heard that people rape animals  but I didn't  believe it.  What I saw made me sick." 

Meanwhile, Dimakatso has lost her appetite for chicken.  "His actions have put me off for some time.", she said.  Dimakatso said the boy had plucked chickens for her before.  "I don't even want to think what he did to them.  He is sick and needs help."

She spoke to the boy's parents and they paid R90 in damages.  The  boy's 19-year old sister said it was fair to give Dimakatso the cash to buy two more chickens.  "My brother is naughty and we were not surprised that he did that.", she told the Daily Sun.  She said they cooked the two chickens and had a lovely dinner.
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2014, 12:51:12 »
From yesterday's Daily Sun newspaper front page published where I am at present in Africa.  Shared under provisions of Sec 29 of the copyright act. 

My wife spotted the headline and lost her composure...  of course, I HAD to buy a copy of the paper.

I had to stifle the laughter that was about to erupt in the hospital would have been somewhat inappropriate. Wait til I get to the truck.....
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2014, 13:10:57 »
I hear one of our Infantry Regiments is actively recruiting him.

What?  You knew someone was going to say it.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline GR66

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2014, 13:16:11 »
I hear one of our Infantry Regiments is actively recruiting him.

What?  You knew someone was going to say it.

56 minutes from the original post...actually took longer than I expected! 

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2014, 13:18:17 »
Ya KNOW that had to be front page!

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2014, 13:25:41 »
56 minutes from the original post...actually took longer than I expected!

I know many of us thought that as well.  Perhaps there is some truth to old myths from days served in Indja.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2014, 13:36:35 »
Ironically it is a South African paper to, didn't the whole thing start because of an alleged incident back when a certain Regiment was serving there during the Boer War? 8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2014, 13:50:19 »
Ironically it is a South African paper to, didn't the whole thing start because of an alleged incident back when a certain Regiment was serving there during the Boer War? 8)

A private from D Coy was court-martialled for stealing a chicken. This led LCol Otter to berate the battalion, calling them a bunch of chicken stealers. When I describe this, I add that he was half right.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2014, 15:36:41 »
A private from D Coy was court-martialled for stealing a chicken. This led LCol Otter to berate the battalion, calling them a bunch of chicken stealers. When I describe this, I add that he was half right.
THIS is the military history our kids should be learning!  >:D

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2014, 02:20:56 »
Ya KNOW that had to be front page!

The young lady above the "interesting" headline is also a good story.  She's taken over Granny's, "medical" practice with the snakes.  Apparently she conducts her affairs in the buff at times.  (why is our medical system soooo boring?) 

Thanks, Tony, for bringing up the front page like that. 

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2014, 07:12:11 »
Thanks, Tony, for bringing up the front page like that.
Once you brought up the headline, finding the picture was easy - thanks for sharing!

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2014, 06:44:45 »
How could you not share?  It's too good to waste.  There was another chicken story a day or so later.  No sex, though...  but I am finding the African papers very entertaining to say the least.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2014, 11:00:44 »
Both Uganda and Kenya have some entertaining ones especially if there's a "gay" scandal. PC they are not.
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2014, 10:30:49 »
TWO PEOPLE DIE FETCHING CELLPHONE FROM SEPTIC TANK IN CHINA

A man and his mother died trying to retrieve a new cellphone from a toilet septic tank in China, Agence France-Presse reports.

The man's wife had dropped the new phone in an open-pit toilet in the central Chinese village of Xinxiang.

When the husband jumped in to get it, he was overcome by the fumes and passed out.

His mother went in after him, but also lost consciousness.

Finally, the woman, her father and two neighbours went in to rescue the pair.

Other villagers used ropes to retrieve the six people, but the man who went in first and his mother didn't survive. 

SUN News
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill