Author Topic: Australian navy's hunt for new sub to replace Collins class  (Read 73654 times)

Online YZT580

• Rate Post
Re: Australian navy's hunt for new sub to replace Collins class
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2018, 23:31:47 »
With the exception of under ice work which requires a boat of a totally different class can the Victorias do the job.  Are they a sound hull to begin with and can they be maintained properly to the point where they are a valid threat to any erstwhile enemy.  Will upgrades be cost effective?  The answers to those questions all seem to be positive.  They seem to be good boats with a bad public relations history.  The problem really is can we keep the government of the days feet to the fire to ensure that those upgrades are done completely and without cutting corners on costs. 

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2018, 23:32:29 »
And the youngest of the B52s was built in 1962 - 56 years and counting.

While I agree that the age of an airframe alone does not tell the tale, I will note two things:

The B52 is not even remotely operated in the same airframe fatigue envelop as a CP140.

The USAF lavishes more money on avionics/weapons upgrades/sensors/airframe rebuilds than we could ever possibly dream of.

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2018, 23:33:38 »
With the exception of under ice work which requires a boat of a totally different class can the Victorias do the job.  Are they a sound hull to begin with and can they be maintained properly to the point where they are a valid threat to any erstwhile enemy.  Will upgrades be cost effective?  The answers to those questions all seem to be positive.  They seem to be good boats with a bad public relations history.  The problem really is can we keep the government of the days feet to the fire to ensure that those upgrades are done completely and without cutting corners on costs.

They are a good boat, with bad PR.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2019, 01:48:48 »
Defence ordered to hand over documents on $50bn submarine deal with French
Centre Alliance senator Rex Patrick accuses department of ‘unlawful conduct’ for wrongly withholding sensitive material

The defence department has been accused of “unlawful conduct” after it wrongly withheld sensitive documents about Australia’s $50bn submarine deal with a French multinational.

The government’s massive future submarines project has been under intense scrutiny since a French arms manufacturer, DCNS, won the contract in 2016. The project has been described as the largest defence procurement in Australia’s history, but South Australian politicians feared the state’s shipbuilder, ASC, was unfairly shut out of a major role in the work, risking local jobs.

Two years ago, the former senator Nick Xenophon lodged a freedom of information request to attempt to obtain a 2015 document outlining DCNS’s plan for involving local industry.

Xenophon’s successor in parliament, the Centre Alliance senator Rex Patrick, believes the document will show DCNS, now known as Naval Group, wanted to involve Australian industry and partner with ASC in building the submarines from the start, but met resistance from the Australian government.

[More in link]

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jul/19/defence-ordered-to-hand-over-documents-on-50bn-submarine-deal-with-french
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."