Author Topic: Domestic Terrorism-Public Attacks on CAF Personnel  (Read 259699 times)

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Domestic Terrorism-Public Attacks on CAF Personnel
« on: October 20, 2014, 16:09:50 »
Potential terror attack in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu on Canadian Forces members, more to follow.

Driver runs over two Canadian soldiers outside Montreal, police shoot and kill driver after high-speed chase

Postmedia News | October 20, 2014 | Last Updated: Oct 20 4:04 PM ET
More from Postmedia News

A man in his 30s was shot dead by police south of Montreal on Monday morning after two Canadian soldiers were hit by a car. Police say the man fled the scene of the accident when police arrived, was involved in a chase, lost control of his car and flipped it, got out of the car and ran at police with a knife.

It began just before noon, when the soldiers were hit in the parking lot of a strip mall in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu and the suspect sped off. The regional police followed him and he lost control at an intersection.

When police caught up, the suspect climbed out of his car, a knife in his hand, and ran at them. Police opened fire and he died.
Because the local St-Jean-sur-Richelieu police were involved in a fatality, another police force, in this case the Sûrété du Québec, has taken over the investigation.

Courtesy of The National Post
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/20/driver-runs-over-two-canadian-soldiers-outside-montreal-police-shoot-and-kill-driver-after-high-speed-chase/

- mod edit to add date to subject line -
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 19:22:49 by milnews.ca »

Offline cryco

Just looking.

• Rate Post
Re: Domestic Terrorism-Public Attacks on CAF Personnel
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 16:12:49 »
hearing this on the radio last hour. Possible terrorist links?
Prayers for the injured men (excluding nut job)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 16:18:36 »
Link to CBC

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.
Driver who hit 2 Canadian Forces members shot by police in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Incident was raised in House of Commons as MP asks about 'possible terror attack'
CBC News Posted: Oct 20, 2014 2:08 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 20, 2014 3:56 PM ET

A man in his 30s was shot by police in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., earlier this afternoon after he hit two members of the Canadian Forces with his car and led police on a dramatic high-speed chase.

The soldiers were hit in a parking lot of a commercial plaza at around 11:30 a.m. ET. Both were injured, one critically.

The incident was raised in the House of Commons this afternoon by Conservative MP Randy Hoback, who questioned Prime Minister Stephen Harper about "unconfirmed reports of a possible terror attack" targeting members of the Canadian Forces.

Harper would only say he is "aware of these reports" and that they are troubling.

Police have not named the soldiers but confirmed at an afternoon press conference that they were members of the armed forces.

Lieut. Guy Lapointe of the Sûreté du Québec said it's too soon to say if the victims were targeted.

"All I can say is that the theory that this is a deliberate act is part of what we’ll be looking at," he said. "But it’s really too early to speculate at this point."

Shot by police

Lapointe said officers from the Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu police spotted the suspect not long after the soldiers were hit and followed the driver for four kilometres.

The chase ended when the suspect lost control of his car, flipping it into a ditch.

Police say the man got out of the vehicle and several shots were fired by officers.

The suspect suffered life-threatening injuries.

Quebec provincial police are now investigating.

More on LINK.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 16:24:28 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 16:29:00 »
Conflicting reports on whether the suspect is indeed dead or not...

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 16:45:45 »
Stay safe out there folks.

A wish for quick and full recoveries to the injured troops. 
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline AceBlackFlame

• Rate Post
  • je me souviens
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 17:04:57 »
Suspect is dead

jollyjacktar

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 17:47:23 »
A full and speedy recovery to both injured members. 

As for the death of the (possibly) little Johnny Jihad, no tears here.  Good riddance. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 19:24:04 by jollyjacktar »

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 19:07:11 »
This is reported, by Vassy Kapelos, Global National parliamentary correspondent, to be the PMO statement:

It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 19:21:46 »
Hoping for a speedy and full recovery by the troops involved  :salute:  :salute:

Meanwhile, this from the RCMP:
This individual was known to Federal authorities including our Integrated National Security Investigations team in Montreal who along with other authorities were concerned that he had become radicalized.

Out of respect and deference to the ongoing Criminal investigation arising from today's terrible events the RCMP will not comment further except to say that we are working with our law enforcement partners to ensure all avenues of investigation are pursued.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 19:23:52 »
Perps name was Martin "Ahmad" Rouleau and he was a convert who had been radicalized, here is an article from La Presse which details more....

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justice-et-affaires-criminelles/faits-divers/201410/20/01-4810905-acte-terroriste-a-saint-jean-martin-ahmad-rouleau-affilie-au-djihad-islamique.php

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 19:24:20 »
I had had a bad feeling that something like what happened to Lee Rigby would happen soon, what with the ISIS threat and all.

Prayers for their recovery and the comfort of their families.

Offline kratz

Back into the Fall routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 19:28:35 »
My prayers and thoughts for a quick and full recovery of our two brothers.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Snakedoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 20:19:13 »
Thoughts and prayers with the family, very difficult to read :S

Offline donaldk

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 20:34:02 »
Thoughts and prayers to the wounded and their families.  Kudos and much thanks goes to the SQ for ending this idiot's spree - Good riddance.

Aside: MARLANT raised its threat level to medium last Friday -- coincidence?

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 20:40:43 »
Weren't we told in the past not to wear uniforms out of work?
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 20:53:57 »

One was not in uniform.

Clean shaven and clean, trimmed hair makes one not look like a barbarian.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 20:58:51 »
You'd think it wouldn't make a difference, at least for reservists travelling from armouries. Even in civvies (as is required for us newbie cornflakes with "pizza chef" berets), the CADPAT small pack/duffel bag and haircut make it blatantly obvious.

Offline Robert0288

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 20:59:36 »
Quick recovery to the 2 members, and good shoot SQ.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 21:13:00 »

And let's hope we don't go down that road for a handful of reasons...
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 21:21:12 »
Perhaps, but if it keeps our families safe I'm not sure I'd be against it.

Offline kratz

Back into the Fall routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 21:23:47 »

Policies and enforcement change over time.

I echo EITS sentiment, but if levels are rising, even Marchog will have to do it again.

Sadly, there if this is the plan...even civilian clothing provides no safety, for servinging members or like minded agencies.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 21:28:27 »
I agree. If the bad guys want you hurt bad enough they will eventually find a way despite what we do.

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 22:02:05 »
Quick recovery to the 2 members, and good shoot SQ.

Best wishes to our wounded for a speedy recovery.

I believe that it was St. Jean-sur-Richelieu Police who took the decisvie action.

Personally I don't like the idea of "when threatened, the CAF hides in civilian clothes" approach.  We did this after 9-11, too and it caused a backlash.

What we should be doing is being more alert and aware of our surroundings.  How many of us actually take the time to employ basic security precautions when in public?  For example, when was the last time you did a "shoulder check" when using your Interac card in a public place?   Being observant is a life skill whether you're crossing the street or serving abroad.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 22:25:33 »
I am in agreement with Haggis, basic security practiced by and for all of our citizenry should be emphasized at this point. "they walk among us".

Condolences to the wounded, I hope there is a speedy recovery.

And to the family of the accused/deceased, my heart goes out to you. It is tough, no matter what the circumstances, to lose someone that you hopefully have done your best to raise.   
Living the lean life

Offline donaldk

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 22:36:02 »
Best wishes to our wounded for a speedy recovery.

I believe that it was St. Jean-sur-Richelieu Police who took the decisvie action.

Personally I don't like the idea of "when threatened, the CAF hides in civilian clothes" approach.  We did this after 9-11, too and it caused a backlash.

What we should be doing is being more alert and aware of our surroundings.  How many of us actually take the time to employ basic security precautions when in public?  For example, when was the last time you did a "shoulder check" when using your Interac card in a public place?   Being observant is a life skill whether you're crossing the street or serving abroad.

Agree with your comment.  Being observant of your surroundings is prudent and commonly is how threats are outed.  I am pondering the civi dress of the day for my unit during work hours, however, another side of me says its cowardly to kick this in at this point and should stick with the uniform.  If civi dress is ordered from my CoC, it'll be done without question. All my guys come to and from work in civis so I am currently not concerned with rush hour comings and goings.

Food for thought:  Over in the UK, HM British Forces and allies attached to them are typically banned from wearing uniforms in Metro London due to these exact types of insurgent aggression towards uniformed military pers.  When I was on my SEMC course in the UK in 2010, my course as the others in the school were explicitly barred from doing rigger runs in London without express permission from both the CFSU(E) Ruislip detachment and the Canadian High Commission of London.