Author Topic: RAAF Recruiting Direct-Entry Loadmasters  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
RAAF Recruiting Direct-Entry Loadmasters
« on: September 27, 2016, 06:43:31 »
From the Royal Australian Air Force Facebook site:

We're now recruiting Direct Entry Loadmasters into the Air Force.

Air Force has opened recruitment for the Loadmaster workforce to include civilian members, with the first five Direct Entry Loadmasters beginning their Airman Aircrew Training at RAAF Base Richmond on 26 September 2016.

Previously, Loadmaster careers had only been open to serving Australian Defence Force members who wished to remuster to the role.

Click here for details on Loadmaster recruitment http://bit.ly/2aezDEY

Any reason why Loadies have to be a re-muster only trade?  The RAAF also recruits AESOPs (AEAs in their terminology - Airborne Electronics Analysts) off the street as SOP.

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalAustralianAirForce/photos/a.171177837638.124610.88014372638/10154207892132639/?type=3&theater
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: RAAF Recruiting Direct-Entry Loadmasters
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:01:24 »
Loadies aren't a remuster, there a specialty of the Traffic Tech trade. They can go back and forth between the two if required. There have been many, many discussions over the years on what should be done wrt to creating a new LM trade. There are a few pros of going this way, but many other cons. I think we might see a final determination within the next year.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:03:59 »
Loadies aren't a remuster, there a specialty of the Traffic Tech trade. They can go back and forth between the two if required. There have been many, many discussions over the years on what should be done wrt to creating a new LM trade. There are a few pros of going this way, but many other cons. I think we might see a final determination within the next year.

What would be the main pros and cons for a direct entry LM trade?
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:27:53 »
The discussion on whether to pipeline or not, and the pros and cons, are secondary to whether LM becomes its own MOSID. That is the crucial decision that needs to be made.

But, to answer your question, pipelining would reduce the initial training bill and generate "qualified" LM's quicker, in theory. The cons are that you lose a lot of experience by not coming up through the Tfc Tech trade, which likely means there would be a requirement for more individuals overall in the trade to ensure there was an adequate number of seasoned and experienced individuals supervising the new guys. The other change I foresee happening would be that we would begin operating more like the Americans, in that LM's would only concern themselves about things that start at the ramp of the aircraft. Thus necessitating larger support teams on the ground.