Author Topic: Politics in 2018  (Read 209156 times)

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Politics in 2018
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2018, 16:14:41 »
The "anyone but Harper" crowd got their wish. Always be careful what you wish for.....

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #326 on: February 06, 2018, 16:18:30 »
The "anyone but Harper" crowd got their wish. Always be careful what you wish for.....

Not sure that they got their wish but they did get more of the same with an extra helping of crap.
Optio

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #327 on: February 06, 2018, 16:56:58 »
Not that I want to take any spotlight from the stupidity of the Prime Minister saying the above to a wounded Vet but this deserves some of it's own ridicule.

Justin Trudeau interrupts woman to tell her to use 'peoplekind' instead of 'mankind' because 'it's more inclusive'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5357037/Trudeau-mocked-telling-woman-say-peoplekind.html

What a real piece of work.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Online Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #328 on: February 06, 2018, 17:06:46 »
Wait till he says "Peopletoba" while in Winnipeg. ....
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2018, 17:17:24 »

:rofl:   he would be that stupid

Offline kratz

Back into the Fall routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2018, 17:50:05 »
According to the PM's wishes, we'll have a constitutional crisis as his government attempts to rename Manitoba,
to a more inclusive term.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2018, 18:16:29 »

How will they man-age, and will it be man-datory in this no-peoples land of biological neutrality.
Living the lean life

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2018, 20:19:09 »
The name Manitoba is believed to be derived from the Cree, Ojibwe or Assiniboine languages. Thename derives from Cree manitou-wapow or Ojibwa manidoobaa, both meaning "straits of Manitou, the Great Spirit", a place referring to what are now called The Narrows in the centre of Lake Manitoba.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitoba&ved=0ahUKEwjlnI7V0JLZAhUq34MKHVuiCbwQFggeMAE&usg=AOvVaw2nUEQNVOn_ZJZgSssrEetr

I think Manitoba is good.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2018, 20:30:09 »
How will they people-age, and will it be people-datory in this no-peoples land of biological neutrality.

Fixed.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2018, 21:25:26 »
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitoba&ved=0ahUKEwjlnI7V0JLZAhUq34MKHVuiCbwQFggeMAE&usg=AOvVaw2nUEQNVOn_ZJZgSssrEetr

Neither Cree, Ojibwa nor Assiniboine used cursive Roman script, so "Man" is white-person's interpretation of the First Nations' name.  Apologies due to and restitution for them, and a replacement name!

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2018, 21:47:51 »

The "Great Spirit" thing has got to offend somebody's religion, or lack thereof, somewhere.

And would the name not be considered to be cultural appropriation in certain circles, due to its origin and the number of older, patriarchal, privileged, cis-gendered (whatever that means; "functional normal human being", I think), straight, Christian white men who live there now?

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2018, 21:50:47 »
The "Great Spirit" thing has got to offend somebody's religion, or lack thereof, somewhere.

And would the name not be considered to be cultural appropriation in certain circles, due to its origin and the number of older, patriarchal, privileged, cis-gendered (whatever that means; "functional normal human being", I think), straight, Christian white men who live there now?

I'm sure it does, MSM just hasn't picked up on it yet, give it till the end of the year...
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #338 on: February 06, 2018, 21:59:07 »
How will they man-age, and will it be man-datory in this no-peoples land of biological neutrality.

Since the "man" in both these English words does not derive from the same origin as "man, the male human", other than trying to be sarcastic, what is the point?  Man (the human male) origin is Germanic - mann.  The man root in the other words comes from the Latin, manus or hand.  So when we manage, it is handling (manipulating) or if a mandate it is something commanded (from the Latin mandatum which is derived earlier from manus and dare - to give).  Neither is referencing the male gender.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #339 on: February 06, 2018, 22:31:05 »
No sense of humour? What next, "mandarin" is not really sexist after all?

Hennyway, some commentary from around the world: https://www.spencerfernando.com/2018/02/06/woke-joke-trudeau-becomes-object-global-ridicule-peoplekind-virtue-signalling-backfires/

angus555

« Reply #340 on: February 06, 2018, 22:52:06 »
The Prime Minister should apologize for offending those who identify as non-humans.

;D

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #341 on: February 06, 2018, 23:37:30 »
No sense of humour?

Of course I do, but it is the smug, self-ingratiating humour of the pedantic.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Piece of Cake

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #342 on: February 06, 2018, 23:48:13 »

No sense of humour?

To parse;

To analyze (a sentence) in terms of grammatical constituents, identifying the parts of speech, syntactic relations, etc.

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parse
Policy is more than black and white.  We need to not only understand the spirit of why a policy was written, but also how the policy affects people.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #343 on: February 06, 2018, 23:49:30 »
A pun is the lowest form of humour - when you don't think of it first.  :)

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #344 on: February 07, 2018, 00:12:06 »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_place_names_in_Canada_of_Indigenous_origin

Manitoba: Either derived from the Cree word manito-wapâw meaning "the strait of the spirit or manitobau" or the Assiniboine words mini and tobow meaning "Lake of the Prairie", referring to Lake Manitoba.Nunavut: "Our land" in Inuktitut.

Ontario: Derived from the Huron word onitariio meaning "beautiful lake", or kanadario meaning "sparkling" or "beautiful" water.

Quebec: from the Míkmaq word kepék, meaning "strait" or "narrows".

Saskatchewan: Derived from the Cree name for the Saskatchewan River, kisiskāciwani-sīpiy, meaning "swift flowing river".

Yukon: from an Athabaskan language, e.g. Koyukon yookkene or Lower Tananayookuna

Comox: either from the Chinook Jargon for "dog" (kamuks), or from the Kwak'wala for "place of plenty".

Coquitlam: "small red salmon" in Halqemeylem (Upriver Halkomelem). Derived from the name of the Kwikwetlem people. Another and more usual translation is "stinking of fish slime" or "stinking fish", thought to be a reference to the Kwikwetlem people's role as slaves to the Katzie and Kwantlen as fish butchers.

Kamloops: anglicization of the Shuswap word Tk'emlups, meaning "where the rivers meet".

Kelowna: "ki?lawna?" meaning a male grizzly bear in the Okanagan language.

Kootenay: derived from the proper name of the Kootenay people, Ktunaxa

Grand Rapids: Translation of Cree word misepawistik, meaning "rushing rapids"

Winnipeg: "muddy water" from the word win-nipi of the Cree.

Oromocto : possibly from the Maliseet word welamooktook which means "good river"

Iqaluit: "many fish" in Inuktitut.

Brantford: Named after Joseph Brant, a Mohawk leader.

Ottawa: "To buy" from the word adaawe in the Anishinaabe language; adapted as the name of the Odawa people.

Petawawa: From Algonquin meaning "where one hears the noise of the water"

Toronto: from an Iroquoian language, but of uncertain derivation.[35] Another story says it is derived from the Mohawk word "tkaronto" meaning "trees standing in the water".

Quebec City (and County): The "narrowing of the river" refers to the point where the St. Lawrence River passes Quebec City.

Shawinigan: "Portage at the crest" in Algonquian.

Saskatoon: Derived from the Cree word misāskwatōmin, meaning Saskatoon berry – a fruit native to the area.

Well,  we better get started then.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #345 on: February 07, 2018, 00:50:11 »

:not-again:
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #346 on: February 07, 2018, 08:33:10 »
Justin Trudeau interrupts woman to tell her to use 'peoplekind' instead of 'mankind' because 'it's more inclusive'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5357037/Trudeau-mocked-telling-woman-say-peoplekind.html

I am in the Phoenix. Even on the local Rock station they carried this item and it was not a feed. It is in the media in the US and the PM is being mocked.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #347 on: February 07, 2018, 08:51:28 »
The woman's actual line to the PM was "maternal love is the love that's going to change the future of mankind."  Why wasn't he offended that paternal love is demeaned and oppressed?

He's still  just not ready. 
#LestWeForget

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #348 on: February 07, 2018, 09:26:18 »
This is rather ridiculous and its weird that  its grown legs and taken off more than his response to our veterans(that's canada for you,  screw over vets, meh,   peoplekind as opposed to mankind, controversy) but has anyone watched the video in question?

The woman is going on and on about religion and female equality in religion,  her church,  for over 3 minutes with people in the crowd starting to get agitated and a few starting to boo her before Trudeau makes the quip about peoplekind.

Seems far more tongue in cheek to me in that context,  and the audience was happy he found a way to shut her up.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #349 on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:22 »
Well, he started the ball rolling with changing the words in the English version.  Reap what you sow.