Author Topic: On Political Correctness  (Read 30841 times)

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: On Political Correctness
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 18:34:42 »
Looks like the President has decided to reverse his own policy on separating families.  A day after he said his hands were tied. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-separation-policy-criticism-1.4713950

Politics aside this is a good move.
I wasn't going to bother get worked up about this one.

The president was only going to stand up to public pressure for so long.

Good job on the media for keeping the pressure on though.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 20:15:34 »
Faster processing now may just mean that they are back in their home country even faster if they take the kids along for the ride. Might encourage people to stop illegally crossing, at least more than the previous policy of putting the family together somewhere in the USA and hoping they show up for a court date... 

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 21:28:44 »
Faster processing now may just mean that they are back in their home country even faster if they take the kids along for the ride. Might encourage people to stop illegally crossing, at least more than the previous policy of putting the family together somewhere in the USA and hoping they show up for a court date...

I think they used their children very effectively to get what they wanted. Terrorists do the same, of course.

We in the 'first world' have no idea, unfortunately, how easily we can be played like a fiddle by people who have nothing to lose.
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 23:01:05 »
>Faster processing now may just mean that they are back in their home country even faster if they take the kids along for the ride.

Turnaround for first entry (misdemeanour) was typically already one day for those who didn't claim asylum (pleaded guilty, sentenced to time already served, sent home).  What they have to speed up are the processes for resolving asylum claims.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7995.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 09:34:03 »
>Faster processing now may just mean that they are back in their home country even faster if they take the kids along for the ride.

Turnaround for first entry (misdemeanour) was typically already one day for those who didn't claim asylum (pleaded guilty, sentenced to time already served, sent home).  What they have to speed up are the processes for resolving asylum claims.

Which becomes exceedingly difficult with the increasing NWO migrant caravans piling up on their borders. Just keep overloading the system until it breaks.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2018, 12:20:27 »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/first-step-to-helping-children-sent-to-new-york-find-them/ar-AAyXB7M

By Thursday, consular officials and others were shifting into crisis mode, beginning to search themselves for children as young as 9 months old who did not appear to have been carefully tracked by the federal authorities.
comforting.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 14:08:02 »
I wasn't going to bother get worked up about this one.

The president was only going to stand up to public pressure for so long.

Good job on the media for keeping the pressure on though.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-administration-will-stop-prosecuting-migrant-parents-who-cross-the-border-illegally-with-children-official-says/ar-AAyYaHZ?li=BBnb7Kz

The U.S. Border Patrol will no longer refer migrant parents who cross into the United States illegally with children to federal courthouses to face criminal charges, a senior U.S. Customs and Border Protection official told The Washington Post on Thursday.
All of that for what in the end?

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 14:39:06 »
It's clear that the US has significant immigration challenges. Smug Canadians can look on and judge, but our immigration challenges are a fraction of theirs, and declining. It's not hard to understand why they want a wall when our wall is the 'Lower 48':

"The United States has been the top destination for international migrants since at least 1960, with one-fifth of the world's migrants living there as of 2017. Almost 19 percent of the 43.7 million immigrants in the United States in 2016 entered since 2010, 27 percent between 2000 and 2009, and the majority (55 percent) before 2000."

and

"In 2016, 1.49 million foreign-born individuals moved to the United States, a 7 percent increase from the 1.38 million coming in 2015. In contrast, Canadian arrivals dropped 19 percent: 38,400 in 2016, versus 47,300 in 2015."

and

"An estimated 11.4 million unauthorized immigrants resided in the United States as of January 2012 compared to 11.5 million in January 2011, according to the most recent estimates issued by the DHS Office of Immigration Statistics."

and

"Mexico and Central America accounted for most unauthorized immigrants in the United States as of 2010-14, with MPI estimating about 7.9 million people in total (71 percent of the overall unauthorized population)."

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 17:21:47 by daftandbarmy »
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7995.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 15:16:37 »
It's OK though. Trudeau is attempting to close the gap, with the US, on the illegal immigration front. :rofl:
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 15:22:43 »
I am loving the faux outrage about the shoe smuggling, seems suddenly, no one knows anyone that has smuggled everyday stuff across the border.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2018, 21:11:15 »
It's clear that the US has significant immigration challenges. Smug Canadians can look on and judge, but our immigration challenges are a fraction of theirs, and declining. It's not hard to understand why they want a wall when our wall is the 'Lower 48':

"The United States has been the top destination for international migrants since at least 1960, with one-fifth of the world's migrants living there as of 2017. Almost 19 percent of the 43.7 million immigrants in the United States in 2016 entered since 2010, 27 percent between 2000 and 2009, and the majority (55 percent) before 2000."

and

"In 2016, 1.49 million foreign-born individuals moved to the United States, a 7 percent increase from the 1.38 million coming in 2015. In contrast, Canadian arrivals dropped 19 percent: 38,400 in 2016, versus 47,300 in 2015."

and

"An estimated 11.4 million unauthorized immigrants resided in the United States as of January 2012 compared to 11.5 million in January 2011, according to the most recent estimates issued by the DHS Office of Immigration Statistics."

and

"Mexico and Central America accounted for most unauthorized immigrants in the United States as of 2010-14, with MPI estimating about 7.9 million people in total (71 percent of the overall unauthorized population)."

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states

That's what happens when you have a honking big statue pointing out to the rest of the world with an inscription on it that says  "Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free".

In the first decade of the 19th Century, some 9 million people immigrated into the US when at the time the population of the whole country was 76 million compared to the 328 million today.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/snpim1.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_United_States_Census

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States

The first article has an interesting quote in it which I think sums up the immigrant experience, then and now, very well:

An old Italian saying summed up the disillusionment felt by many: "I came to America because I heard the streets were paved with gold. When I got here, found out three things: First, the streets weren't paved with gold; second, they weren't paved at all: and third, I was expected to pave them."

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2018, 22:27:22 »
Rachel Maddow - when you're trying to force yourself to cry but it's just not coming out
https://youtu.be/DKuIjT-k-C8

US Border patrol agent talking about the children-border issue. Some pretty shocking stuff there.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32103/must-watch-border-patrol-agent-sets-record-amanda-prestigiacomo?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2018, 23:50:50 »
The US has been the top destination for immigrants because its social and economic system provides far more mobility than possible in much of the world. This was the driver of immigration up until it was shut down in the 1920's

The immigration act of 1965 reopened the door and a flood of people came in to take advantage of America's social mobility, but sadly a second and eventually much larger cohort of illegal immigrants have come in to essentially leech of American taxpayers (one article in Instapundit quoted a figure of $138 billion/year as the cost to the US taxpayer). It is this second cohort of illegals which is the root of the problem, and the fact that the Congress either refuses to carry out it's responsibilities to enforce existing laws (including the separation of parents and children) or write new laws is infuriating to the voters. That is one of the reasons you "get more Trump", and I suspect a lot of Representatives and Senators may discover they are actively targeted by voters seeking to unseat them (and possibly why a lot of people have been announcing their retirement) over this issue.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 06:00:16 »
The US has been the top destination for immigrants because its social and economic system provides far more mobility than possible in much of the world. This was the driver of immigration up until it was shut down in the 1920's

The immigration act of 1965 reopened the door and a flood of people came in to take advantage of America's social mobility, but sadly a second and eventually much larger cohort of illegal immigrants have come in to essentially leech of American taxpayers (one article in Instapundit quoted a figure of $138 billion/year as the cost to the US taxpayer). It is this second cohort of illegals which is the root of the problem, and the fact that the Congress either refuses to carry out it's responsibilities to enforce existing laws (including the separation of parents and children) or write new laws is infuriating to the voters. That is one of the reasons you "get more Trump", and I suspect a lot of Representatives and Senators may discover they are actively targeted by voters seeking to unseat them (and possibly why a lot of people have been announcing their retirement) over this issue.

What gets forgotten at times though is the fact that the US economy has become dependant on those illegals.  Congress and the president can’t seem to deal with the immigration issue because they refuse to go after companies and employers that are employing this cheap labour source who fill jobs no one else wants.  People are coming for those jobs yet nothing or little is done to deal with that. 
Optio

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 11:06:08 »
I am loving the faux outrage about the shoe smuggling, seems suddenly, no one knows anyone that has smuggled everyday stuff across the border.

I think it’s more a matter of concern that the president of the world’s largest economy apparently can not grasp the difference between a customs duty and a trade tariff.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2018, 11:40:22 »
I think it’s more a matter of concern that the president of the world’s largest economy apparently can not grasp the difference between a customs duty and a trade tariff.
The same guy who sited the war of 1812 as a reason for Canada being a security risk.

There comes a point where one simply no longer listens to the nonsense.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2018, 11:47:31 »
The majority of politicians and Ministers have very little clue as to what they are talking about, most is based on a 3 page briefing note. DT is staying on his message and the reality for Canadians is that our trade protections and supply management systems drive up product cost significantly. The rule of thumb I have seen my friends price imported goods is 4x wholesale to cover costs.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2018, 11:51:16 »
The majority of politicians and Ministers have very little clue as to what they are talking about, most is based on a 3 page briefing note. DT is staying on his message and the reality for Canadians is that our trade protections and supply management systems drive up product cost significantly. The rule of thumb I have seen my friends price imported goods is 4x wholesale to cover costs.
What difference would it make really?

If we got rid of supply management, we would put in a dairy tax, and give dairy farmers the proceeds. This would be the only way to compete with american subsidies.

Price of milk wouldn't drop, even on imported stuff, and the dairy farmers would still benefit, and at the end of the day, nothing changes.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 12:24:19 »

Or grtasp that Canadians are actually looking to avoid both - paying the tariff that is on some items bought in Canada and the customs duty if it was declared at the border. 

still funny how Canadians got all in a huff over being called out for something that actually does happen regardless of the mis-used term for it.

Best part is that the comment is in support of Canada raising the duty free amounts we are able to bring in to the country so that people will be less inclined to do the scuffing and keep their sneakers pristine.  Of course his real goal is to encourage more shopping in the states by us spend thrifty canucks.
“non-commissioned officer (NCO)” means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal.

QR&O's

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2018, 12:28:37 »

There comes a point where one simply no longer listens to the nonsense.

Seems to me like people are hanging off his ever word.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2018, 09:58:02 »
Seems to me like people are hanging off his ever word.

Because, like driving by an accident on the highway, it's hard to look away.  ;D
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2018, 11:38:42 »
To me the problem was simple.Catch the illegals and send them back immediately.Make sure the wall is built which would make attempts harder.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2018, 12:17:33 »
To me the problem was simple.Catch the illegals and send them back immediately.Make sure the wall is built which would make attempts harder.
with families intact hopefully.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2018, 23:11:21 »
The cartels are gaming the system to bring drugs into the country.The Obama era program was called catch and release.Or just bus them to Canada.  :D

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2018, 18:08:04 »
William Shatner delivers an epic takedown to political correctness:

Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.