Author Topic: "Drones" Quadcopters + questions for pilots  (Read 346 times)

Offline DetectiveMcNulty

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
"Drones" Quadcopters + questions for pilots
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:24:16 »
Anyone here into flying quadcopters?

I picked the hobby up a while back. I've played around with really basic ones and some more advanced versions. I honestly prefer the feel of being in control at all times rather than letting it fly and hover for me.

If any pilots see this, I have a question. I plan to get a license when the new rules come in for "drones". I'm looking to move to a larger, more capable model but want to make sure I'm a confident operator first. Is there a magic # of hours that a pilot usually takes to get comfortable with basic flight? A certain number of takeoffs and landings? Not really trying to compare amateur RPA flying to actual flight, but I'd like at least be half decent.

Cheers

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: "Drones" Quadcopters + questions for pilots
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:23:31 »
If you are willing to put out the money the DJI ones are fabolous, 5 way collision avoidance, will fly home (make sure to set to home) optical navigation for indoors. You really don't fly it, but direct it to places. Start flying in large open fields devoid of obstacles and other wifi source. Once you get competent, start flying it to and around an obstacle. It also does not hurt to buy a cheap one to practice with.