Author Topic: USA brings back death penalty for fed cases  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: USA brings back death penalty for fed cases
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 19:28:56 »
For historical reference to the last post.

The last execution in Canada was in 1962, when they hanged Lucas and Turpin back to back at the Don.

Since you raise historical reference to the death penalty in Canada, the case of Steven Truscott should be mentioned.  While his sentence was commuted to life in prison prior to the executions of Lucas and Turpin, the national attention focused on the application (and perhaps haphazard application) of a death sentence on a 14 year old child had much to do with the later suspension of the death penalty in Canada.

I suppose, if the internet had existed back then, that case would have been a lively topic of discussion on this forum due to the military nexus of both victim and alleged perpetrator(s).
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2019, 20:45:16 »
A cursory search on support for capital punishment in the US tells us that it's a hot topic, with only a slight majority supporting it. In Canada depending on the province, you'll find Canadians in some cases actually support it in greater numbers than the entire US does, do you suggest we should bring it back as well?

I am not against capital punishment and in fact favour it's use in certain circumstances, but in Canada's case we've made the decision some time ago not to use it. I wouldn't advocate for it's return. I can live with the status quo.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2019, 23:34:24 »
I am not against capital punishment and in fact favour it's use in certain circumstances, but in Canada's case we've made the decision some time ago not to use it. I wouldn't advocate for it's return. I can live with the status quo.

:cheers:

I’ll agree and add that the Dangerous Offender clause needs to be pursued vigorously in certain cases. Like Willie Picton, Bernardo etc
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".