Author Topic: Harry and Meghan to step down as senior royals  (Read 16391 times)

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Harry and Meghan to step down as senior royals
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2020, 17:57:45 »
If you were a newish RCMP officer you would not be with Protective Services either.

What's that assumption based on? What's your operating definition of 'newish'?
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2020, 18:08:12 »
I think that it's the law that for every jaded, grizzled veteran on the Protective detail who's a month away from retirement that there also be an idealistic young officer, who makes a critical mistake leading to the dramatic death of the grizzled old cop who, with his dying gasp, calls on the rookie to avenge his death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vyANa71gvU
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2020, 21:27:45 »
Sooooo, which is it, then?
:pop:
Well, so far, fact checkers say no decision's been made yet ...
... Trudeau told Canadian media Global News in an interview on January 13 that nothing had been settled in regards to the security bill for the royal family, which media estimated to be Can$1.7 million. “We’re not entirely sure what the final decisions will be, those are decisions for them (the royal couple),” Trudeau said.

A government source close to the matter told AFP that this had not changed as of the time of publication on January 15, adding that reports of Trudeau offering to the Queen to pay for Harry and Meghan’s protection are false ...
Brought to you by #NotBoughtMedia
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 22:23:09 by mariomike »
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2020, 22:02:58 »
Private security will be bought by the Duke and Duchess. Hope reality sets in and they go back on the public purse. Their brand may not be worth as much as they expect.

The way forward ?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/13/prince-william-take-note-queen-kept-rebellious-sibling-side/

Something to bear in mind; private bodyguards in Canada would not be carrying firearms. Police can.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2020, 22:53:56 »
If private security isn't an option then they reimburse the RCMP or Vancouver police all this to keep Megan happy. William did advise his brother not to marry her. Love can be so blind.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2020, 23:10:40 »
Love can be so blind.

Marriage is the eye opener.  :)

Not everyone in B.C. is on board with paying,

Why pay security costs for Harry and Meghan?
https://theprovince.com/opinion/letters/letters-to-the-province-jan-16-2020-security-costs-for-harry-and-meghan

If a family wanted to migrate to Canada and a member had a medical condition that would cost Canadian taxpayers $1 million annually, their application would probably be refused.

When I heard that the Canadian government may foot the bill for their security while they wait for a government change in the U.S. so they can move to Los Angeles to be closer to Hollywood, it went from absurd to ridiculously surreal.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 23:19:37 by mariomike »
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2020, 08:23:33 »
So Megan doesn't want to live in the US as long as Trump is President?

How about going back and living in the USA and campaign on behalf of Candidate (fill in the blank here) so maybe Trump won't get a second term.

Just a thought.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2020, 09:30:19 »
So Megan doesn't want to live in the US as long as Trump is President?

Meghan Markle plans to move to Los Angeles only after Trump leaves office, report
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/meghan-markle-plans-move-los-angeles-after-trump-leaves-office-report

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2020, 09:42:15 »
What's that assumption based on? What's your operating definition of 'newish'?

My assumption was that he was talking about someone right out of Depot.

Optio

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2020, 09:43:53 »
Something to bear in mind; private bodyguards in Canada would not be carrying firearms. Police can.

Easy solution.  Build a giant mansion in the shape of a brinks truck.  All your limos are brinks trucks.  Put cash in both.  Problem solved.  Armed security.

;D
Optio

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2020, 09:52:10 »
My assumption was that he was talking about someone right out of Depot.

Without knowing if Canadians will be paying for security for Harry and family, or if it would be a permanent or temporary posting,  different organizations fill internal postings diferent ways. Perhaps using the senior qualified process, or the relative ability process.

It's up to who signs off on the posting.

eg: Police experience is not required to be a US Secret Service agent.
https://www.secretservice.gov/join/careers/agents/

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:59:16 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2020, 10:00:18 »
All your limos are brinks trucks. 

By your emoji, I assume you are kidding.

But, I have heard / read of it being seriously suggested - and seriously refused - for other people in Toronto.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:10:40 by mariomike »

Offline One-off

• Rate Post
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2020, 10:27:27 »
William did advise his brother not to marry her. Love can be so blind.

Advised him not to marry her or to not get married at all?  :rofl:

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2020, 00:05:09 »

Arent the Royals supposed to be apolitical ?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2020, 09:35:12 »
Arent the Royals supposed to be apolitical ?

From what I have read, "They are stepping back from their roles as 'senior' members of the royal family."

What are the roles of junior members?  :dunno:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 13:07:33 by mariomike »

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2020, 15:36:36 »
I saw some discussion today that Harry and Megan could lose their titles ? I suppose that's up to Her Majesty. She is making a statement either today or Saturday so we shall see. I saw where their Frogmore House is being shuttered.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2020, 19:01:29 »
I was going to post in the Editorial Cartoon forum, but decided post here instead.

https://www.politico.com/gallery/2020/01/17/the-nations-cartoonists-on-the-week-in-politics-003690?slide=12
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2020, 15:54:14 »
They have lost their title HRH but retaitain their Dukedom. Anyone have further insight ?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/prince-harry-meghan-markle-queen-announcement-royal

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2020, 16:01:46 »
I can totally imagine the Queen singing this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qV8zy4b-Q
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2020, 16:52:53 »
They have lost their title HRH but retaitain their Dukedom. Anyone have further insight ?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/prince-harry-meghan-markle-queen-announcement-royal
Here's a touch of analysis from the BBC ...
... They will always be, the Queen writes, 'much loved members of my family'.

But that's about it. No royal title, no royal duties, no military appointments, no tours, most of their time spent in Canada, no public money.

It is harder to think of a much cleaner break than this. Harry and Meghan are still members of the Royal Family, but they are effectively no longer royal.

The early talk was of a much more mixed life - one where perhaps Harry and Meghan continued with some royal duties, dividing their time equally between the UK and Canada.

But the contradictions and conflicts of interest were too many.

There are still lots of details to thrash out.

And the whole thing will be reviewed after a year.

But a new life awaits Harry and Meghan - celebrities, certainly, but a different kind of royalty ...

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2020, 09:31:39 »
A little more from the Royal Info-machine ...
Published 18 January 2020
Statement from HM The Queen.

Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.

Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.

I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.

I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.

It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.

ENDS

Statement from Buckingham Palace

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.

As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties. 

With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.

The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home.

Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements. There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly-funded security.

This new model will take effect in the Spring of 2020.

ENDS

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2020, 13:41:10 »
Apparently, moving to Canada does not provide a paparazzi-free environment.

https://theprovince.com/news/canada/prince-harry-arrives-in-canada-to-prepare-for-non-royal-life-2/wcm/c7388602-5483-49dd-9007-b391f0b24a2a
Day One in Canada: Harry, Meghan threaten legal action against paparazzi outside B.C. home

The Sussexes say paparazzi are permanently camped outside their home with long lenses trained at their B.C. residence

LONDON —  Prince Harry and his wife Meghan have issued a warning over harassment by paparazzi photographers in Canada after agreeing to give up their royal duties to start their new life outside Britain, according to Sky News.

The warning comes after Meghan was photographed on Monday in North Hill Regional Park on Vancouver Island, carrying eight-month-old son Archie in a baby sling and walking her two dogs, Guy and Oz.

Lawyers say the pictures were taken by photographers hiding in bushes who did not obtain her consent, the BBC reported.

In addition, the Sussexes say paparazzi are permanently camped outside their home with long lenses trained at their residence, Sky said.

The couple have made some changes to the area to make it more secure. The property sits at the end of a private road, behind a gate. But since the royals moved in, a white tarp has been placed behind it to provide added privacy.

A temporary metal fence has also been erected along the edge of the property that leads down to a public beach, and a security camera and dog now keep watch.

The legal warning comes on Day One of the couple’s new life in Canada. Harry arrived in Canada early on Tuesday to join Meghan.

Harry was shown arriving on Vancouver Island by Sky News, just days after reaching an arrangement with Queen Elizabeth and senior royals that will see him and his wife Meghan leave behind their royal roles to seek an independent future.

The lack of photos has not been for want of trying. Earlier this month, Miles Arsenault, the owner and captain of Deep Cove’s Bay to Bay Charters, refused to take three people, including a cameraman out in his water taxi after he learned that his client, a Japanese television station, wanted to stake out Meghan’s address, which is secluded and best viewed from the water.

“It was a no-brainer for me to walk,” Arsenault said, despite the fact that the retired photographer only launched his water taxi business six months ago and could use the business.

“It’s just not the way that I wanted to be remembered — as carrying paparazzi around.”

. . . .

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2020, 13:51:41 »
Paparazzi are such parasites. Only slightly worse than the masses that consume their content and fuel their ridiculous actions. Photographing someone on their private property without consent should be illegal.

Online YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2020, 17:02:23 »
Candid camera is illegal.  The difficulty is in fighting it.  The argument used by the press is one of the public's need to know overrides an individuals right to privacy when said individual is a public figure.  Harry has resigned and wishes to be eliminated from the public eye except for those occasions when family responsibilities bring him back to England or when he signals his intent to make a 'public' appearance.  Given the normal person's attention span, he should be allowed to sit back in about a week.  Give it a month before he can go into a pub