Author Topic: Navy removes USS Theodore Roosevelt captain  (Read 15801 times)

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
Re: Navy removes USS Theodore Roosevelt captain
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2020, 13:11:42 »
"If he didn't think, in my opinion, that this information wasn't going to get out to the public, in this day and information age that we live in, then he was either A, too naïve or too stupid to be a commanding officer of a ship like this," Modly said. "The alternative is that he did this on purpose."

Usually after "either A" comes "or B". -- Unless of course you're too naïve or too stupid to use the English language properly (although some may question whether "either A ... or B ..." is proper use in the first place). Regardless, Modly sounds like a real self serving, rationalizing d*ck. This was in an address to the crew who had previously applauded Crozier. He went on to say:

... "I cannot control or attempt to change whatever anger you have with me for relieving your beloved CO," Modly said, using the slang for commanding officer. "I understand you may be angry with me for the rest of your lives."

Modly also chastised the Theodore Roosevelt’s crew for cheering Crozier when he left the ship, claiming the former commanding officer’s memo caused concern among residents of Guam, where the ship is currently docked.

“So think about that when you cheer the man of the ship who exposed you to that,” Moldy said. “I understand you love the guy. It's good that you love him. But you're not required to love him.”

"Crew of the Teddy Roosevelt, you are under no obligation to love your leadership, only respect it," he continued. "You are under no obligation to like your job, only to do it. You are under no obligation, you are under no obligation to expect anything from your leaders other than they will treat you fairly and put the mission of the ship first."

The acting navy secretary took aim at the Theodore Roosevelt’s crew, telling them their only concern right now should be how they can help each other during the crisis.

“That's your duty,” Modly said. “Not to complain. Everyone is scared about this thing. And let me tell ya something, if this ship was in combat and there were hypersonic missiles coming in at it, you'd be pretty ******* scared too. But you do your jobs. And that's what I expect you to. And that's what I expect every officer on this ship to do, is to do your jobs.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-secretary-blasts-fired-aircraft-carrier-captain

This too will go down in the annals of naval history as a wonderful example of how to re-instil morale. Not.

There are now 173 crew members testing positive with 61% tested.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2020, 13:29:45 »
Well this is going to be a remarkable case study on leadership in the face of disease borne challenges. Now we wait and see if another Captain fails to act because of this and their ship is incapacitated by sickness. I can imagine the same issues are hitting the PLAN, but without the public exposure. it will be interesting to see how their sailing schedule and operational patterns have been effected and will be. 

Online Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2020, 13:31:39 »
Holy ****, he made that address over the main broadcast (ie the public address system).  What a wanker.

The recording is pretty funny though; I think we are all the sailor that dropped the 'WTF?' when he said the CO was too naive or stupid. That kind of silence is a really, really bad sign. Normally there is some banter and chatter; this feels like they were sharpening their knives and looking for a convenient spot to practice a man overboard exercise (poorly).  Also the whole speech is about what happens when things get out to the media, and then the speech gets uploaded to soundcloud.

I don't understand this logic at all; there was really no reason for him to drop this on the crew, and he just crippled the ability of the acting CO to get this crew refocused and back on mission.

Brutal. This is the opposite of leadership.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2020, 13:39:27 »
Holy ****, he made that address over the main broadcast (ie the public address system).  What a wanker.

The recording is pretty funny though; I think we are all the sailor that dropped the 'WTF?' when he said the CO was too naive or stupid. That kind of silence is a really, really bad sign. Normally there is some banter and chatter; this feels like they were sharpening their knives and looking for a convenient spot to practice a man overboard exercise (poorly).  Also the whole speech is about what happens when things get out to the media, and then the speech gets uploaded to soundcloud.

I don't understand this logic at all; there was really no reason for him to drop this on the crew, and he just crippled the ability of the acting CO to get this crew refocused and back on mission.

Brutal. This is the opposite of leadership.

Even the language is brutal.  Someone in Modly's position should not be swearing on an address to the crew.  It's like he's *trying* to make the situation worse.
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2020, 13:47:22 »
I'll just quote Modly here about the outcome of his speech...

If he didn't think, in my opinion, that this information wasn't going to get out into the public, in this day and information age that we live in, then he was either A, too naive, or too stupid
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2020, 14:00:43 »
Someone in Modly's position should not be swearing on an address to the crew.

Modly, an 1983 graduate of the USNA and a former Naval aviator, was probably trying to give his best impression of a tough-talking "commander", you know, just like the president who appointed him tries to do.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2020, 14:03:39 »
Modly, an 1983 graduate of the USNA and a former Naval aviator, was probably trying to give his best impression of a tough-talking "commander", you know, just like the president who appointed him tries to do.

Helicopters for a few years before he went into private industry. Crozier started helicopters then went F18s. Probably some professional jealousy (p*n*s envy) there on Modly's part.  ;D

Online Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2020, 14:06:37 »
I did get a laugh picturing his protective detail as his speech went on though; seems like the kind of speech where it would just take one hothead to get a crowd to get pokey-chest, and would end badly for SecNav, and had a mental image of those poor folks getting increasingly ready to carry his arse off the ship at a run.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2020, 14:20:58 »
An audio recording of Modly's speech and a transcript are available here:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-secretary-blasts-fired-aircraft-carrier-captain

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2020, 22:27:30 »
...and the Acting SECNAV has now apologized for his remarks.  I guess he didn't stand by every word he said.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Acting U.S. Navy Secretary Thomas Modly issued an apology on Monday to the former commander of a coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier after sharply criticizing him in a speech to his crew, just days after firing him.

“I do not think Captain Brett Crozier is naive nor stupid,” Modly said amid calls for his removal, including from the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, a Democrat.

The apology, which Modly also extended to the carrier’s crew and Crozier’s family, was a reversal from a statement the Navy’s top civilian issued hours earlier that said: “I stand by every word I said.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-navy-apology-idUSKBN21P03N?utm_source=reddit.com
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2020, 22:33:53 »
The President was asked about the Crozier case and stated that he had had a number of outstanding assignments and that he hoped that he might be able to salvage Croziers career. Trump said everyone once in awhile has a bad day or week.

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2020, 23:13:50 »
The President was asked about the Crozier case and stated that he had had a number of outstanding assignments and that he hoped that he might be able to salvage Croziers career. Trump said everyone once in awhile has a bad day or week.

I watched Trump say that but I wasn't convinced he was sincere.  The other day when asked about the Captain, Trump didn't seem very supportive.  I get the feeling that Trump is seeing how the sailors are reacting and supporting their Capt and he knows he better do something to fix this problem quick.

Online Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2020, 23:17:52 »
...and the Acting SECNAV has now apologized for his remarks.  I guess he didn't stand by every word he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-navy-apology-idUSKBN21P03N?utm_source=reddit.com

In this day and age, he was either too stupid, or too naive, not to think a recording of this speech would make it's way to the media.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2020, 00:12:20 »
The crewman’s “WTF?” just as Modly started in on the Skipper spoke volumes.  The ‘Swamp’ still needs draining...

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2020, 00:22:32 »
The crewman’s “WTF?” just as Modly started in on the Skipper spoke volumes.  The ‘Swamp’ still needs draining...

'The instruments of darkness tell us truths.'   

William Shakespeare
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2020, 07:01:57 »
'The instruments of darkness tell us truths.'   

William Shakespeare

Most certainly, though it seems clear that Banquo and his peers liveth now far from the Avenue of Pennsylvania...

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2020, 08:51:04 »
Reminds me a bit of when they told us they would be removing our beer machines from the ship and no drinking at sea (plus the alcohol price would be raising the few times we could drink). That was the most silent I have ever seen a large group of people.

This guy really knows how to one up our Navy though.

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2020, 09:50:41 »
I remember, many moons ago, at an unnamed Canadian Military College, when the Deputy Commandant decided to make a particular example of a cadet who had just been found guilty of an offence.

He had this individual paraded in front of the cadet wing, stripped him of his cadet rank and then publically berated him.

That was as angry and quiet as I have ever seen several hundred people. Even those who felt no sympathy for the cadet and his offence were deeply angered by the gratutious public humilation. From that moment on, it was nothing but a series of minor rebellions and acts of unattributable sabotage at nearly any order issued by that senior officer.

I learned alot that day: a silent group of troops is deeply dangerous. Beware when that occurs....

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2020, 09:54:51 »
I gave some advice to my Senior NCOs. Lots of advice.

One basically said - Don't go off half cocked. Get the story from both sides then make the determination.
Did this happen?
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2020, 10:30:02 »
I remember, many moons ago, at an unnamed Canadian Military College, when the Deputy Commandant decided to make a particular example of a cadet who had just been found guilty of an offence.

He had this individual paraded in front of the cadet wing, stripped him of his cadet rank and then publically berated him.

That was as angry and quiet as I have ever seen several hundred people. Even those who felt no sympathy for the cadet and his offence were deeply angered by the gratutious public humilation. From that moment on, it was nothing but a series of minor rebellions and acts of unattributable sabotage at nearly any order issued by that senior officer.

I learned alot that day: a silent group of troops is deeply dangerous. Beware when that occurs....

Hmmmm....

I saw a similar approach used at my unit a few years ago by a CO who clearly was out of his depth. After that, alot of people 'quit but didn't leave', at various orders of magnitude.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:36:18 by daftandbarmy »
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2020, 10:32:09 »
Hmmmm....

After that, alot of people 'quit but didn't leave', at various orders of magnitude.

Maybe he learned how to do that from this Commandant you speak of....

We had a Very Senior WO who thought nothing of belittling his WOs and Snr NCOs. He was not a fan of me or I of him.

Staff Edit:  On behalf off the quoted member.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:52:12 by Bruce Monkhouse »
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2020, 11:35:56 »
The President was asked about the Crozier case and stated that he had had a number of outstanding assignments and that he hoped that he might be able to salvage Croziers career.
Hey, if Trump can go to bat for a convicted war criminal and return his Trident, why not someone who's a scape-goat for showing true leadership, and 'guilty' only of caring for his sailors' well-being.  [Notice how those attributes make him stand out so glaringly from the sycophant Beltway herd]  :not-again:

I hope Crozier says "no thank you."  His career is ended anyway;  he'd be followed around by second-guessers and nay-sayers regardless.

#AmericaUSEDtoBeRespected

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2020, 12:27:49 »
When troops are pushed so far that they stop bitching, you have a problem.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2020, 15:25:46 »
Here’s your sword, Modly.  You insert it just below your navel. CinC appreciates your loyalty.