Author Topic: Trump Orders some US Troops Out of Germany.  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
Re: Trump Orders some US Troops Out of Germany.
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 13:16:52 »
The point of the article is that these troops are not really "front-line" troops anyway but are "support" personnel there to create and run a base that supports US operations throughout the region including Europe but especially the Middle East. These cuts are more harmful to US operations than to European security.

Just as importantly, the decision was made politically and without input from DoD. A little pre-election posturing rather than concern US national interests.

:cheers:

I'm sure that behind the scenes, there are several high-ranking GOFOs saying "how the F are we going to sustain operations" to the WH administration.  I believe there's a quote about logistics people like to use here  :whistle:
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 13:40:19 »
I'm sure that behind the scenes, there are several high-ranking GOFOs saying "how the F are we going to sustain operations" to the WH administration.  I believe there's a quote about logistics people like to use here  :whistle:

Something like: 'We can issue you leather belts because you'll need to eat those at some point.' ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 18:09:39 »
Statement by DoD on troop cuts in Germany..

The Secretary of Defense and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff briefed the President yesterday on plans to redeploy 9,500 troops from Germany. The proposal that was approved not only meets the President’s directive, it will also enhance Russian deterrence, strengthen NATO, reassure Allies, improve U.S. strategic flexibility and U.S. European Command’s operational flexibility, and take care of our service members and their families. Pentagon leaders look forward to briefing this plan to the congressional defense committees in the coming weeks, followed by consultations with NATO allies on the way forward. We will be providing timely updates to potentially affected personnel, their families and communities as planning progresses.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 14:47:35 by tomahawk6 »

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 06:02:56 »
Statement by DoD on troop cuts in germeny.

The Secretary of Defense and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff briefed the President yesterday on plans to redeploy 9,500 troops from Germany. The proposal that was approved not only meets the President’s directive, it will also enhance Russian deterrence, strengthen NATO, reassure Allies, improve U.S. strategic flexibility and U.S. European Command’s operational flexibility, and take care of our service members and their families. Pentagon leaders look forward to briefing this plan to the congressional defense committees in the coming weeks, followed by consultations with NATO allies on the way forward. We will be providing timely updates to potentially affected personnel, their families and communities as planning progresses.

Typically dishonest, politically directed bafflegab that could have been written just as easily in London or Ottawa.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"