Poll

The RCN has its old rank titles and executive curl back.  What should be the next step for the CF rank structure?

Nothing.  The current rank system works, so leave it alone.
120 (58.5%)
Complete return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.
40 (19.5%)
Complete return to post unification ranks of the 70s and early 80s.
1 (0.5%)
Officers only return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.
9 (4.4%)
Copy the UK rank system - it is the prototype anyway.
17 (8.3%)
Copy the US rank system - they are the new colonial master.
2 (1%)
Create a whole new Canadian system.
8 (3.9%)
Lobby for standardized NATO rank insignia.
7 (3.4%)
Copy the French rank system - it is the other founding nation's turn
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Author Topic: "Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation  (Read 2530129 times)

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
Re: "Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation
« Reply #5875 on: December 14, 2019, 19:41:59 »
I'd be interested to know what current folks think regarding changing "back" the officers' ranks (curl, pips/crowns, RCAF colour).  I'd suspect that it would work out to a collective "meh".

I can only speak for myself, but I very much prefer pips to the old generic "merchant marine" rank.  Now if the CA could only get a real Army looking uniform...even bringing back the Tan DEU would be a massive improvement.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #5876 on: December 14, 2019, 21:40:59 »
I can only speak for myself, but I very much prefer pips to the old generic "merchant marine" rank.  Now if the CA could only get a real Army looking uniform...even bringing back the Tan DEU would be a massive improvement.

That's pretty much is my attitude.

:cheers:

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline torg003

• Rate Post
« Reply #5877 on: December 14, 2019, 23:09:08 »
Maybe the CA should just make the SOF uniform the standard for the whole army. Then they'd look like The US Army from the '40s and '50s instead of the US Army from the '60s and '70s. :nana:
Just joking of course. ;)

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #5878 on: December 15, 2019, 00:16:16 »
I'll be honest;  I think the pearl grey looks more suitable than the gold did with the DEU color.

I agree, the uniform looked cheap with the "gold" badges. The new badges look both Air force, and cool.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #5879 on: December 16, 2019, 06:29:23 »
Maybe the CA should just make the SOF uniform the standard for the whole army. Then they'd look like The US Army from the '40s and '50s instead of the US Army from the '60s and '70s. :nana:
Just joking of course. ;)

And CANSOFCOM could change to the Tan (in both light and heavyweight) to keep being different than the Army. ;) (also joking...kinda, knowing it would probably happen were the Army to go pink’n’greens).

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5880 on: December 16, 2019, 16:14:34 »
<sarcasm>

Since we are back in the fashion police mode, is it fair to point out that that khaki and brown and "pinks and greens" are all a bit "Johnny-come-lately" while rifle green has its origins in North America, including in Canada, in the 1760s?

A few regiments, the RCD and The RCR being the only to that remain on the regular force order of battle, worse scarlets on active service, having Battle Honours of NorthWest Canada and Saskatchewan to prove it. Several Canadian regiments, including e.g. the Queen's Own Rifles wore green into battle:

Maybe we should be exploiting rather than ignoring our own light infantry heritage ~ less scarlet and khaki (with its attendant focus on the 1930s and 1950s) and more on our "green" roots.

Oh, and multi-coloured field service caps, too, of course, which we wore into battle in South Africa in 1900:

</sarcasm>

It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #5881 on: December 16, 2019, 17:20:08 »
<sarcasm>

Oh, and multi-coloured field service caps, too, of course, which we wore into battle in South Africa in 1900:

</sarcasm>

That cap has the same colour as my dog's #2s after she gets chicken.  She's allergic to chicken.

No thanks.
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5882 on: December 16, 2019, 17:39:02 »
<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>

Or we could bring back the peaked Stetson, which combines price, impracticability, and high maintenance. That certainly is in the finest traditions of the Canadian Army.

Offline quadrapiper

• Rate Post
« Reply #5883 on: December 16, 2019, 17:53:49 »
Or we could bring back the peaked Stetson, which combines price, impracticability, and high maintenance. That certainly is in the finest traditions of the Canadian Army.
It does however offer some shade.

Might I suggest shakos for everyone?

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #5884 on: December 16, 2019, 17:57:58 »

I was going to say - do you work for DLR?   :rofl:
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #5885 on: December 16, 2019, 20:34:20 »
That cap has the same colour as my dog's #2s after she gets chicken.  She's allergic to chicken.

No thanks.

And yet the RCAF is quite proud of its pilfered and re-branded field service cap wedge. :nod:

Offline Canuck_Jock

• Rate Post
Overall, the new old rank looks pretty smart. I never saw the point in having a No Name Brand-style triservice uniform. Our Services and Units have such rich histories that preservation of key traditional attire and distinctions should be the default. Sorry, but I really don't rate the US Army's new look, more costume looking than uniform.

However, the late Tans were smart, and it would be good at some point to get khaki back (with Sam Browne). Decent quality material goes a long way.

The Australian Army has recently re-adopted a darker khaki shade for their Service Dress.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Some folks here won't be happy until we all wear this all the time! :)

Offline Kilted

• Rate Post
To me, our Green DEU's look way too American, especially with the gold colour ranks.