Author Topic: Desert Boots  (Read 152854 times)

D-n-A

Re: CF issued desert boots
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2004, 20:36:36 »
I've never seen american ones in person, but from what I've seen on them from TV an in pictures they look exactly the same.

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2004, 20:40:00 »
I have 2 pair of 'em sourced thru CF sources, and one pair I got thru US sorces, and they are both identical, even with the same numbers on the inside.

The CF issue  ones are off the shelf purchases of generic US boots.

I do believe that the US company Altama makes them, with the Panama sole, and marked Ro-Search on the bottom. If you want a cheap pair, go to ebay and do a search for 'desert boots'. You can land a cheaper pair that way.

Cheers,

Wes

PS - there is 2 types, in short the my CF and US sourced ones have padding near the top, and leather support on the sides. Altama also another type. Its shorter and without the padding along the top, and nylon instead of leather supporters on the sides. These cheaper boots are identical to the old US green type boots less the OD canvas, spike protective, vent holes, leather instead suede, and of course colour black instead of tan.

This different version has the same Ro-Search   and Panama sole, and are also genuine, but just slightly different.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 20:49:37 by Wesley H. Allen, CD »
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline Yeoman

• I have to wear pants?!?
  • Rate Post
  • land of misfit toys
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2004, 20:48:48 »
just so you can know sir.
they do still have them in the inventory, however they are phasing them out for a company in Quebec called boulet. they're basically a desert version of the cold wet weather gore tex boot. at least that's what's happening in CFB Petawawa, don't know about the other bases.
personally I love these things so much more then the old altama ones. I was always fearing of a rolled/broken ankle wearing them.
Greg
Be normal and the crowd accepts you, be deranged and they will make you their leader.

Online Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2004, 20:56:45 »
What's the sizing like for the desert boots? Same as the combat boot?

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2004, 21:02:52 »
US sizes for desert boots are as fol:

Sizes 7-12 (including half sizes) that I know of (other smaller and larger ones might be a special order): and

N for narrow
R for regular
W for wide; and
XW for extra wide

Sized as then for example, 9W.

Hope this helps ya out.

wes
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 15:53:18 by Wesley H. Allen, CD »
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline Britney Spears

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2004, 21:06:44 »

I don't mean to be facaecious sir, but I'd like to know what kind of crazy dress regs they follow in the air force. So you're allowed to wear issued DBs, but you haven't been issued them? I presume this is in garrision. If its the field, and you're allowed personally purchased DBs, would their country of origin really matter? and what does "the field" mean? Like walking across the tarmac?
"I'd vote for you."
  -TCBF, whiskey601.

"Britney, if you wern't so young I would kiss you!"
  -a_majoor.

Online Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2004, 21:28:13 »
Hope this helps ya out.

Not really, but I appreciate the effort.

I was wondering about the fitting... such as my Civvie shoe size is 9 1/2, but in combat boots, I take an 8F.

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2004, 01:15:39 »
I am a CIC Officer in the RCAF and thus issued items only as required.  Since i am neither reg force or combat trained or even seen operational areas such as A-stan, i can't expect a comfy pair of desert boots to show up in my stocking anytime soon.  Stuff like that is called "snivel kit" not required but desired. 
As for us Airforce types never being stationed in the field, if you check DND's site i am sure will you find many Airforce occupations that will prove you wrong, forward air controllers, UAV operators, SAR techs to name a few.

thanks to all for the info, very helpful.  I am glad i found this site.

cheers

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Offline Troopasaurus

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2004, 03:49:26 »
Just a note... in 1968, the RCAF ceased to exist after unification. It is now known as the Canadian Air Force and not the RCAF.

Offline HollywoodHitman

• "We're surrounded......Thats simplifies the problem" - Chesty Puller, USMC
  • Rate Post
  • Don't mistake aging for maturing
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2004, 07:03:40 »
Just a word on snivel kit.........

You don't have to be miserable and uncomfortable in the field to be 'hard'........Someone harder than I'll ever be, who's serving privately in Iraq at the moment taught me that.........

Until you've walked the walk in the shoes of those you seek to discredit (not aimed at anyone in particular), it might be more prudent to listen/read, rather than spout...........

"There is no charge for awesomeness....Or Attractiveness."
                  -Kung Fu Panda

aesop081

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2004, 07:32:26 »

I don't mean to be facaecious sir, but I'd like to know what kind of crazy dress regs they follow in the air force. So you're allowed to wear issued DBs, but you haven't been issued them? I presume this is in garrision. If its the field, and you're allowed personally purchased DBs, would their country of origin really matter? and what does "the field" mean? Like walking across the tarmac?

You are pretty funny...i cant imagine how funny you will be when you get some time in !!!! I'de like to see you hangning in the door of a sea king in a high sea state................thats just as bad as the lawfeild corridor in a monsoon..........thank you very much

Offline Britney Spears

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2004, 10:20:58 »
Since we can't go 2 posts without some kind of percieved slight against a branch/service/unit/cadet corps, I'll play the SHARP game in the interests of dispelling my own ignorance.

I'de like to see you hangning in the door of a sea king in a high sea state.

That will definetly be a test of my(or anyone's) testicular fortitude. While I'm rather ignorant of the workings of the air force (hence the question), I'll wager that the average Seaking crew is in a pretty damn dangerous profession, more so than most army members. So we are in agreement?

Still waiting for an answer to my question.
"I'd vote for you."
  -TCBF, whiskey601.

-a_majoor.

Offline Britney Spears

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2004, 10:40:34 »
Oh, if it makes you feel any better, I puked my guts out on my first ride in a helicopter, and that was over land, on a sunny day.  ;D

"I'd vote for you."
  -TCBF, whiskey601.

-a_majoor.

aesop081

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2004, 12:08:49 »
1- No, it does not make me feel better.   In fact i didnt need to feel better ! That was not the point.

2- I only said that in response to your tarmac comment.   I used to be one of those army guys who continuously riduculed the air force.   Let me tell you what an education        actualy being aircrew has been !!

3- Yes, we are in agreement.

To get gack on the original subject, i find the sizing of desert boots to be quite different than normal (i.e.) conbat boots. I am a 9 in cbt boots and 7 for desert/jungle boots.   Before i hear anything about AF aircrews needing desert boots...........It's pretty hot in the arabian gulf !!

quote : "You don't have to be miserable and uncomfortable in the field to be 'hard'........Someone harder than I'll ever be, who's serving privately in Iraq at the moment taught me that........."

That reminds me of the phrase " there's a fine line between hard and stupid"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 13:18:01 by aesop081 »

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2004, 12:57:25 »
The normal desert boots are Altamas which are an ok (not great) boot.  Not much in the way of ankle support and the tread wears pretty fast.
I have been issued a pair of Belleville steel toed desert boots which are much nicer.  They are the same boot as the USMC issues only with a steel toe.  They are more comfortable and have more support than the Altamas.  I wore those for everyday use and found them more comfortable even with the steel toe.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The fragrance of Afghanistan
Rewards a long day's toil
A Passage to Bangkok- Rush

Offline Rounder

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2004, 13:29:49 »
Aesop081... .love that

quote : "You don't have to be miserable and uncomfortable in the field to be 'hard'........Someone harder than I'll ever be, who's serving privately in Iraq at the moment taught me that........."
If you're on time... you're already 10 minutes late.

Who owns the Chiefs?

Offline Britney Spears

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2004, 13:35:41 »
Before i hear anything about AF aircrews needing desert boots...........It's pretty hot in the arabian gulf !!

Ugh, where did I ever attempt to ridicule the air force or imply that AF aircrews in the arabian gulf or anywhere didn't need anything? YES, the Air Force is great, I love the air force.  My question was: What kind of dress regs permit the wear of Non-issued(as in, not issued to you) DBs? Does he mean for field wear only? If so, then I think he should consider getting DBs that are better than the generally issued stuff, such as the types mentioned in the above post (not having any experience with those, I can only take ammotech90's word for it.). A little clarification would help in answering his question. Wearing Desert boots around the parade square in Winnipeg in Dec. wouldn't really fly with any of the dress regs I know of, regardless of whether they are "canadian" or not.
"I'd vote for you."
  -TCBF, whiskey601.

-a_majoor.

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2004, 22:37:45 »
Ok,  just to clarify.

Desert Boots for field use....  tan DB's with my dress blues...oh boy, i can see the look on my CO's face! LOL  Although i am with an Air cadet unit at the present time we probably do as much, if not more than your typical Army cadet unit, thus the inquiry.  a buddy of mine has DB's and says they are super comfortable so i was looking at getting a pair.  As with the Air CIC we are only usually issued just a dress uniform and have to purchase our own field gear however must still adhere to CF dress regs.  In short i am on a research mission to see if the American DB"s are the same as Canadian ones (which aren't as readily available up here as on e bay)

so far i have concluded that they are both exactly the same.  Can. Gov. probably got them from the same manufactorer.  Hope this clears things up for ya B.Spears.

cheers guys

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Offline Britney Spears

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2004, 23:45:08 »
Ah, Sorry, I'm not familiar with Cadets or CIC, so the "dress regs' part was a little confusing.

I only briefly examined an american DB some years ago, so memory's a little hazy, but they are outwardly identiical. IIRC,the Canadian version has an extra mesh liner on the inside that the US model does not. Either should suit your purposes just fine.  A few personal anecdotes:

- When sizing, wear the socks you would usually wear when its hot. Presumably, you haven't been issued desert socks.
- I don't like the laces that come with the boot. They are too slippery, and while easy to lace up, come loose rather quickly. Not very good for marching. I use the normal black cbt boot laces with mine now. YMMV.
- They are lighter and more supple than cbt boots, and ankle support is non-existant.

"I'd vote for you."
  -TCBF, whiskey601.

-a_majoor.

Offline Blackhorse7

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2004, 13:10:59 »
Hollywoodhitman...

Absolutely right about "snivel kit"...

Stupid name for luxury items in the field to begin with.  I had a wise old Sgt. that summed it up perfectly one particularly cold and wet ex.  "Only an idiot is uncomfortable in the field."

If you have the means to carry or transport such items, or can get away with wearing something better (mind you the kit issued now is WAY better than when I was in), then do it.
Only the hard have the luxury of appearing soft.

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2004, 18:00:52 »
Another quick one to fly by everyone.  I take about a 12E in my standard issue black combat boots.  Desert boots are relatively the same size ? or should i go up or down ?  thanks guys

cheers

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2004, 18:17:29 »
PViddy,
As I read through the thread...as tedious as it is...the question that comes to mind over and over again is:

Why do you want them?

1. You are a CIC officer,
2. You look after Cadets,
3. There is only one small (true sand like) desert in Canada,
4. You aren't about to be deployed anywhere....

If its just to wear around during fd problems in the woods here, may I then suggest jungle boots or a black boot that would be much more comfortable, and not as hard on your feet and ankles as the current desert boots.

After all there is a reason why the CF Reg army only wears them in hot, dry and dusty environments.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Online Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2004, 18:21:34 »
3. There is only one small (true sand like) desert in Canada,

Pretty much anyone who has them and can get away with wearing them wears them in Shilo.

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2004, 04:14:16 »
2 words.  snivel kit.  yesah i am only CIC blah blah, i have heard it all before.  cadets, especially my unit in particular will go out on field EX's as much as a CF Res. Regiment (i'm probably stretching that a bit, but we go on 4-5 field EX's a year) with current budget constraints.  I have 3 sets of black combat boots, and i they are awesome.  I want somthing light weight and cool for the summer and i will have an opportunity to buy some DB's for a relatively good price, thus my post regarding size and technical questions.  I have some friends in our host regiment that swear by them so i think they will be worth tthe bit of money paid for them.  Hope this justify's things for ya..LOL

cheers
PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2004, 04:15:31 »
I didn't think the CF ever issued the black and green jungle boots ?

cheers

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA