Author Topic: Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]  (Read 252803 times)

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
Re: Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2004, 18:27:12 »
It all depends on what your Department says.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline krugan

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2004, 14:00:26 »
Does anyone know why the boarding parties would not wear kevlar helmets?  I am assuming they are wearing the kevlar vests underneath their life jackets though, is that correct?

It just seems like there is such a serious risk factor when boarding those ships and you never know what is going to be on them these days.  Do the parties also use any kind of equipment to check for NBC?

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2004, 14:14:55 »
The money just isn't there to outfit all the teams with kevlar helmets and while I know a kevlar helmet does not weigh that much searching a ships hold with its 40 degrees Celsius out raises the temperature and makes wearing the helmet uncomfortable. Its also an intimadation issue, we find we have had better results in co-operation by dressesing as we do then countries that board with helmets and full battle gear.
for NBC yes we have equipment available.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2004, 14:55:17 »
It may be best to Not discuss the specifics of naval boarding parties (IE the wearing of vests, tactics, etc.)
It could very well be myself, ex-dragoon or any other NBP members or future members who could suffer as a result.

Just a gentle reminder that these forums get thousands of visitors, not all of them with the best intentions.
NBP is dangerous enough as it is without the enemy knowing what they're going to get hit with and how.

Offline krugan

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2004, 15:16:01 »
Che,

I would certainly agree with you, but the fact that RCN posts pictures of their NBP's and the equipment that they are wearing would seem that these questions are open for discussion as to why they would not use it.

I would imagine the bad guys would/should be more sophisticated then looking on a forum.  If they really want to know you would think they would send out a dummy ship in hopes of getting boarded and learn from that.

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2004, 15:28:51 »
I'm not here to debate this.
We have rules on this site concerning OPSEC and they won't bend simply because it's a NBP discussion and not a discussion about Infantry Patrol tactics or FIBUA.

As for sending out a dummy boat, won't debate the specifics, it doesn't seem unreasonable that anyone can be reading these forums at any time, that's not just paranoia, it's security which we all have a duty to watch out for no matter how anal it may seem at times.

As I said it was a gentle reminder that theres a chance these walls have ears, perhaps it's a small chance, perhaps the pirates of the carribean are reading this right now, either way it's a chance that we won't bet on.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2004, 17:57:37 »
Well said Che...btw there is no RCN....hasn't been since Unification.

digital

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2004, 10:06:40 »
Che,

I would certainly agree with you, but the fact that RCN posts pictures of their NBP's and the equipment that they are wearing would seem that these questions are open for discussion as to why they would not use it.

I would imagine the bad guys would/should be more sophisticated then looking on a forum.  If they really want to know you would think they would send out a dummy ship in hopes of getting boarded and learn from that.

rgr that. i am attracted to this exp too which is why i applied for the Navy. searched all the websites that offered pics of NBP's and wondered why canada doesnt outfit our boys like SealTeam6? anyway, found my answers here. but yeah, the questions seem legit and if terrorists wanna get the "edge" dont think they would get it from browsing this forum when DND.CA posts extreme closeups of boarding parties faces, gear, and firearms. but the input is appreciated and i understand your "these walls have ears" theory. thank you for the info. always appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 10:10:06 by digital »

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2004, 10:11:46 »
A good intel team gathers info where it can and knows how to filter out the crap. While this is not an official CF website if you look hard enough you can get some useful information off of this site if you know what you are looking for.

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2004, 21:12:39 »
On T.D.V. they showed the boarding party course that is run in Esquimalt.
Very interesting.
But as Ex Merch I was critiquing all the way as to how to beat the team.
A very good show to watch.
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2004, 21:27:44 »
I found their attention to detail was badly taught, especially with the vests worn on the outside of the coveralls and the fingers in the trigger guards.

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2004, 21:36:05 »
Ex-D, i'm gonna defer to your more recent experience here, but I've seen that particular video before, and frankly I was not impressed. Overall, I found the boarding teams very hesitant and unsteady. Then again, they were in training, which is different than what you learn on Ops. And, to be perfectly honest, I only had the opportunity for half a dozen boardings, none of them terrorist related, and all with the SMG and 9mm. So the weapons, and the tactics were different. But I must say I found the crews and teams on T.D.V. very cavalier ... I noticed one OS paying more attention to a harbour YAG than the instructor.
Living the lean life

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2004, 21:37:02 »
Ex -D, you posted while I was typing!!!
Living the lean life

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2004, 21:41:45 »
When TDV first aired that segment I was scrambling for damage control because I did not want the good people here to think that is how we are all taught and how we treat all boardings. I have been assured though by people I know on the West Coast that things have improved dramatically.

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2004, 21:59:26 »
All right you two Hairy Bag's stop,suck back and reload!
I think every one who saw that program realised that the were new to the game.
From an Ex.Merch type I found flaws also but did find it interesting.

In my youth I was taught by old Seaman(WWII Vets) how to smuggle and I bet if I was given 3 days I could load and hide a 1 ton of exsplosives aboard a ship and we went to sea and you guys did a boarding you might find some but not all and if you did you and you ship would join me in Valhalla ;)

A Merchant ship has so many hiding places it's not funny,it's scary!!!
Ex. you ever check the chain locker on a Merch. Ship?
It's big and deep with lot's of free space.!!!!!!

Thank God I'm on our side. ;)
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2004, 22:04:04 »
*snicker* you would be surprised on where we do search Earl, not all are pleasant places, I will leave it at that. ;)

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2004, 22:13:14 »
Ha ha ... we searched a 78' yacht once near Saltspring for dope ... after searching the top drawer of a dresser in aft cabin,  guess what we left lying on the king size bed???  Took a picture of it too ... strictly for evidence purposes.
Living the lean life

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2004, 22:17:52 »
*snicker* you would be surprised on where we do search Earl, not all are pleasant places, I will leave it at that. ;)
Hey I know my rights I'm entitled to a cavity search. ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 22:22:38 by Spr.Earl »

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2004, 22:24:45 »
In all seriousness there are so many places on aMerchant Ship to hide things do you Ex think yuo cought every thing.?

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2004, 22:27:48 »
Everything but the "Golden Rivet"...
Living the lean life

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2004, 22:46:40 »
Everything but the "Golden Rivet"...
ROTFLMAO!!
But you also forgot the bucket of steam!!

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline Code5

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2004, 01:06:51 »
 ??? The golden rivet?  Is this one of those things that us non-military types will never understand?

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2004, 01:21:56 »
The golden rivet?  Is this one of those things that us non-military types will never understand?

When you find it...you will know.
Mwahaha...bloody old salts

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2004, 01:24:15 »
??? The golden rivet?   Is this one of those things that us non-military types will never understand?

Ever been to sea Billy?

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2004, 01:26:50 »
Ever been to sea Billy?

No sir...but I've been blown ashore..

yar har har har

Ahahaha lol stop stop