Author Topic: Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]  (Read 252768 times)

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
Re: Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2004, 01:41:01 »
Look out here comes the monkies fist!! ;) ;D
O.K. what's a monkies fist?
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

NavyGrunt

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2004, 01:45:25 »
I saw that Spr. Earl I saw you call it the paw before you corrected yourself.....I was just about to post my correction.

Monkey's fist is Tied at the end of a line so it can be heaved farther, also if you make one large enough its funny to hit other sailors in the crotch as they come around corners.....as for monkey's paw.....I saw it in legend of kung fu once.....

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2004, 01:58:45 »
Aaron put my last down to CRS   as you stated.
The knot with a weight placed in the middle and the whole fist is dipped in red lead (old days) and dried and dipped again for added weight for a heaving line as it's known as.

I was pretty good heaving it in my youth. ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 02:01:59 by Spr.Earl »
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

NavyGrunt

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2004, 02:04:50 »
They're still painted most of the time. What was the Merch like?

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2004, 08:12:40 »
In all seriousness there are so many places on aMerchant Ship to hide things do you Ex think yuo cought every thing.?
I personally have not thought of everywhere contraband could be hidden but thats why we have a cross section of personnel from every department onboard. They know their spaces and they would know or at least have a general idea of spaces onboard another ship. We use the expertise that everyone has to enhance the team. It does no good to send a couple of Ops guys to search the engine room nor does it do any good for some engineers to search the bridge of a bulk carrier. I am sure we do miss some items but in the limited time we have we are very thorough and very good at what we do.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2004, 14:22:04 »
Searching in the Gulf:

Outside of the possibility of malicious conduct on the part of the crew of the detained vessel, there must be special dangers associated with boardings in the Gulf itself, such exposure to disease, or exposure to fire hazard etc. How are the boarding parties dealing with this, i.e. formalized training, or learn as you go. For example, when we boarded the Lin Mai in 87, unbeknown-st to us, there was a drug lab on board the ship, full of materiel's which were potentially explosive. The RCMP had us inventory the stuff and take it off as seized evidence. [keep in mind the crew attempted scuttle the vessel, so we had to move fast in case the hull techs couldn't repair the damage.] We had no training, and no proper equipment for this type of Op., but managed by improvising right then and there.    I assume things have improved somewhat?
Living the lean life

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2004, 14:26:18 »
Things have improved dramatically, a lot of the times we were regarded as the SME for boarding ops in the Gulf. Like any hazardous duty there are never any guarantees just ways to minimize and to be aware of any complications we might find.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid

Offline TR23

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2005, 13:36:13 »
www.militaryphotos.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11927&highlight=canadian+navy+boarding+team

Perhaps these photo's are all well known, but it's the first time I've seen any pics of this kind.  I have no experience or knowledge to base this judgement on, however I was impressed with these guys.  I would not want them boarding my ship if I was smuggling/transporting anything clandestine!

To all you guys pulling multiple deplyoments, and doing an awesome job of representing Canada with limited funds and equipment(numbers not quality) - you guys are doing an AWESOME job, and it is appreciated.  That goes for any sailor - not just the boarding teams!

PS  - I've learned quite a few interesting things from this site and appreciate the free education and info from everyone.

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2005, 16:15:11 »
Go to the Combat Camera site and choose navy from the Select Category and then type "Boarding" in the second field.

The search should bring up a lot of pics
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2005, 01:28:12 »
Hey look where his Loc is

"Joined: 09 Mar 2004

He's making a joke as Ex.Army who served there with the C.F. with UNPRFOR or ??

UBIQUE
Be Safe

SharkBait

« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2005, 23:08:10 »
Hello, I just found out about the naval boarding party from this site. I have been thinking about joining the infantry, but the NBP looks interesting. I have been reading about it from this forum but have a few questions still. What is the best way to get into it, the boatswain trade? How long and what are the chances of making it onto a NBP? What are the chances of living on the westcoast? If someone made it onto a NBP would they just train and practice that or would they do other naval jobs? Sorry for all the questions I just can't find too much info about this.
Thank you.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2005, 23:35:25 »
You simply walk down to the recruiting office and ask for the boatswains trade, but there are many other trades in the Navy that offer more (IMHO) than the boatswain. 

NBP is made up of volunteers from pretty much every trade onboard.  If you want to live in Esquimalt just let them know that when you are on your 3's when you are asked what coast you would like.  You select your home port division after your 5's course.

When you are on the NBP, you perform all your regular trade duties, and seamanship duties (cleaning the heads  ;) )   

On the west coast when the ships go to the gulf you are taken off the watches, meaning you just do boardings and training.  I was told that out east the ships have their NBP members turn to for watches, what this means is that you would get burnt out as you never know when a boarding will occur.

Your chances of getting on the NBP team are pretty good, but I think you have to be 3's qualified before you can get on it, I may be wrong on that but I am sure that someone knows the answer.

SharkBait

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2005, 00:01:16 »
Thanks a lot for the reply It was helpful.
When you pick what coast you want are you guaranteed it or do they put you where they need you.
Thanks

SharkBait

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2005, 00:05:03 »
also where could I find out information on what 3s and 5s are?

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2005, 00:05:26 »
All trades are eligable to be on the NBP

Must be QL3 qualified
recommended by dept
Interviewed by NBPO/XO/CO
Phisically fit (EXPRESS TEST, but we are trying to up it to justify extra pay)

Once on the course
qualify on Sig Sauer/MP-5/870 Remington Shot Gun
Learn empty hand control, hancuffing, ASP Baton, OC Spray
Qualify on the Rappel tower

Once on the ship, you will be on call when at sea to conduct boardings at anytime
If you ship is deployed on a DCDS mission, there will be two teams trained (out of the organic ships company)
Once in theatre, the teams will switch off every two weeks (Up to command team) one team on call and off the watches the other team back in their department working and standing watches.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

SharkBait

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2005, 00:21:24 »
How often are you out at sea?
what do you do when your on the watches?
when you pick what coast you want during training do you get it or go where your needed?
if you work hard how long would it take from training to getting on a NBP approx?
thank you for all your help.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2005, 08:44:47 »
That depends on if your ship is high readiness or not. It also depends on whats going on in the world and if the navy has money for fuel to allow you to sail.

That depends on what trade you select. You can do anything that is trade related to cleaning your area of responsibility on ship.

when you pick what coast you want during training do you get it or go where your needed?
The Navy will do their best to accomodate you but there are no guarantees. If you find you are posted to the coast that you don't want to be in, your best bet is to let your divisional system know this.

if you work hard how long would it take from training to getting on a NBP approx?
That depends on the length of your 3s course and it also depends on available slots and departmental approval. Its one of those questiosn where there is no set answer.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2005, 09:23:33 »
thank you for all your help.

You select your Home Port Division (picking your coast) after your QL3 course

When you join the Navy:
Basic in St Jean  (QL1)
Naval Environmental Training Plan in Halifax or Esquimalt (QL2) this course ensures that you are safe to go to sea
Basic Trade Qualification (QL3) this course is your first introduction to your trade and will make you useful to your trade
Fleet Exam (QL4) allows you to be promoted to Leading Seaman
Then go on from there

Offline axeman

• Rate Post
  • It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2005, 10:22:09 »
the boatswains  trade is over burden  116% of strenght means theres some dead weight in it some ppl ae realing or on med cat that they need more then they were really allowed to have . mehh it will happen
I'm not saying to kill all the stupid people . .. Just remove the warning labels and let nature run it's course

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2005, 11:14:29 »
There is no longer a fleet exam for most combat trades, as completing the OJT is considered "enough"   ??? ???

Offline Enzo

• Rate Post
  • Meh...
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2005, 21:55:34 »
What of (R)Boatswain. If you're in this trade, you're still eligible for NBP training, correct? How often are the skills utilized on an MCDV (if at all)? With such saturation of the trade in the CF, are there opportunities for (R)Boatswains to join a ship on tour? If a MARS officer wanted to be involved with the NBP, would that individual be a team member or designated to be the NBP officer, etc... ?
"Most people would rather analyse risks than take them"

Wallace Kaufman

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2005, 15:52:02 »
Slt - LCdr any trade, ALGONQUIN had an Air Weapons Controller (Air Force Captain) as its boarding officer for awhile.

But usually the NBPO is a MARS Officer. The A3 (Witnessing Officer) is usually the Slt who is being groomed to take over the NBPO's duties

mr_jangles

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2005, 22:00:22 »
I'm pretty sure the Deck O is usually the boarding officer. I could be wrong though.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2005, 10:59:02 »
The Deck O usually is, but it is still Commands choice of who it will be.

Offline BeadWindow(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • somewhere on the flotilla
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2005, 20:57:11 »
What of (R)Boatswain. If you're in this trade, you're still eligible for NBP training, correct? How often are the skills utilized on an MCDV (if at all)? With such saturation of the trade in the CF, are there opportunities for (R)Boatswains to join a ship on tour? If a MARS officer wanted to be involved with the NBP, would that individual be a team member or designated to be the NBP officer, etc... ?

eligible? yes. Probable? No. There are members of the reserves running around with the NBP course. However they are the exception rather than the rule.
Welcome back.