Author Topic: Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged  (Read 238933 times)

LightFighter

Re: Swimming Requirement in BMQ
« Reply #300 on: June 06, 2017, 22:05:27 »
You won't fail BMQ if you can't swim, or if you have poor form.  IMO, it wouldn't hurt you to learn how to swim before joining the CAF, especially given the trade you want to join as.

Offline Infant_Tree

Training very hard.

• Rate Post
« Reply #301 on: June 06, 2017, 22:12:41 »
Yeah I guess I should take some swimming lessons ;D
Recruiting center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Application Date: January 12, 2017
First contact: January 12, 2017
CFAT: February 8, 2017
Medical: March 2, 2017
Interview: March 7, 2017
Merit listed: Sometime between April 11 and April 27, 2017
Position Offer: May 30, 2017
Enrollment: August 23, 2017
BMQ: September 4, 2017

Release date: October 19, 2017 (I VR'd from BMQ)

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2017, 09:13:04 »
Am I required to swim/tread water with a perfect form

Any score less than 8.5 from the Russian judge and you're gone.

Offline SashaQ

• Rate Post
« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2017, 02:27:42 »
[quote

Infant_Tree
[/quote]

Just wanted to say, interesting choice of user name!
--------------------------------
Recruiting Center: Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: PRes
Officer/NCM:     DEO
Trade Choice 1: Logistics
Trade Choice 2: Public Affairs
Application Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 (online)
First Contact: Thu, 12 May 2016
CFAT: Passed (Mon, 06 Jun 2016)
FORCES: Passed (Wed, 08 Jun 2016)
Medical: Passed (W03 Aug 2016)
Interview completed: Nov 2016
Position Offered: Nov 2016
Enrollment: Thu, 15 Jun 2017
BMQ: 15 Oct 2017 to 25 Mar 2018
------------------

Offline glassnight

• Rate Post
Re: Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged
« Reply #304 on: September 29, 2017, 16:26:39 »
Read through all the post, helps a lot. Thank you all guys!
I am not a swimmer and I sink quickly. While with the flippers I can manage to float and move for a certain distance (took a swimming class and learned how to front crawl). Here is my question hoping somebody can answer: Is flipper allowed in the test? Many thanks!
Recruiting Center: CFRC Montreal
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Trade Choice 1: Construction Engineering Officer
                    2: Electrical and Mechanical Engineering officer
Application date: Oct. 2016
First Contact: 2 Nov. 2016
CFAT:16 Nov. 2016
Medical: 5 May 2017
Interview: 12 May 2017
Medical external mail-in: 29 May 2017
Education Screening: 31 May ~ 31 Aug. 2017
Medical Approved: unknown
Merit list: unknown
Position offered:
Ceremony:
BMOQ:

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #305 on: September 29, 2017, 16:33:09 »
Read through all the post, helps a lot. Thank you all guys!
I am not a swimmer and I sink quickly. While with the flippers I can manage to float and move for a certain distance (took a swimming class and learned how to front crawl). Here is my question hoping somebody can answer: Is flipper allowed in the test? Many thanks!

No. Swimming aids of any kind are not permitted, except (unless they’ve done away with this portion of the test) when jumping off the diving board (forget the exact height) to simulate evacuation of a ship/boat. In which case, you have a life preserver.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #306 on: September 29, 2017, 17:15:11 »
BeyondTheNow: I suggest you merely google "Life Preserver Pics" and look at the pictures.

I can guarantee you that the Navy does not have any "test" that require anyone to jump off a diving board using one of those.

What you refer to has nothing to do with the CAF swimming test. During the sea survival phase of NETP, personnel will have to jump from said diving board wearing their personal life jacket un-inflated, then inflate it once in the water, make their way to an upside down life raft, turn it over and get the whole class into it. It is a full class exercise. 

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #307 on: September 29, 2017, 17:34:22 »
BeyondTheNow: I suggest you merely google "Life Preserver Pics" and look at the pictures.

I can guarantee you that the Navy does not have any "test" that require anyone to jump off a diving board using one of those.

What you refer to has nothing to do with the CAF swimming test. During the sea survival phase of NETP, personnel will have to jump from said diving board wearing their personal life jacket un-inflated, then inflate it once in the water, make their way to an upside down life raft, turn it over and get the whole class into it. It is a full class exercise.

OGBD:

Not in anyway trying to be disrespectful, but I’ve successfully completed the RegF BMQ swim test twice. The portion of the test where we jumped off the diving board (with the life preserver provided to us) was explained to us (by staff on both of my pls) as I explained it to the user above. If what we were instructed to do wasn’t supposed to be a military simulation off of a vessel of any kind, then I apologize and was misinformed by the instructors at the time who used the language/terminology while explaining as I used also.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 17:37:14 by BeyondTheNow »
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline glassnight

• Rate Post
« Reply #308 on: October 03, 2017, 11:02:18 »
No. Swimming aids of any kind are not permitted, except (unless they’ve done away with this portion of the test) when jumping off the diving board (forget the exact height) to simulate evacuation of a ship/boat. In which case, you have a life preserver.

Thank you BeyondTheNow!  :nod:
Recruiting Center: CFRC Montreal
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Trade Choice 1: Construction Engineering Officer
                    2: Electrical and Mechanical Engineering officer
Application date: Oct. 2016
First Contact: 2 Nov. 2016
CFAT:16 Nov. 2016
Medical: 5 May 2017
Interview: 12 May 2017
Medical external mail-in: 29 May 2017
Education Screening: 31 May ~ 31 Aug. 2017
Medical Approved: unknown
Merit list: unknown
Position offered:
Ceremony:
BMOQ:

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #309 on: October 03, 2017, 11:08:57 »
My apologies if this is now the case BTN.

It wasn't in my days. We only had to swim a couple of length in coveralls and then do about ten minutes of threading water in the deep end to qualify at basic. Then the naval test was more advanced.

But I can tell that, if you were told what you say by the instructor, then that instructor was not in the Navy. A life preserver is a very very specific item, sometimes known as a Kisby ring. And very few of them are carried onboard ships. But it is exactly that, a rigid ring of hard foam that you throw to someone in the water to assist them before you can pick them out of there. You do not, under any circumstances, jump into the water with it around your waist, or you will either slip through it or break your arms.

I suspect you were asked to jump in the water wearing a positive buoyancy life jacket (these are the big orange coloured ones). again, here, there is a methodology to jumping with them (feet crossed* - arms crossed across your chest, holding the top of the life jacket) to avoid injuries. Doing this, without the next step (getting into a lifeboat or liferaft) from a one meter board is a very poor simulation of  abandoning a ship - which is normally done from higher up and with the inflatable type of life jacket and then requires you to right and board a liferaft.

*: If you wonder why we cross the feet, it is because you are simulating jumping in water from a sinking ship. Therefore, you can expect debris floating in the waters around you. If you jump legs opened, well, you can end up with a hit to the vital parts - if you know what I mean. By crossing the feet, you guarantee that the shock of anything you hit will be "absorbed" by your legs and you will be deflected or push it aside automatically.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2017, 11:22:29 »
Is flipper allowed in the test?

If simulating a real-world emergency in the water - as opposed to recreational swimming - it is unlikely you would have flippers available.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #311 on: October 04, 2017, 12:58:02 »
My apologies if this is now the case BTN.

It wasn't in my days. We only had to swim a couple of length in coveralls and then do about ten minutes of threading water in the deep end to qualify at basic. Then the naval test was more advanced.

But I can tell that, if you were told what you say by the instructor, then that instructor was not in the Navy. A life preserver is a very very specific item, sometimes known as a Kisby ring. And very few of them are carried onboard ships. But it is exactly that, a rigid ring of hard foam that you throw to someone in the water to assist them before you can pick them out of there. You do not, under any circumstances, jump into the water with it around your waist, or you will either slip through it or break your arms.

I suspect you were asked to jump in the water wearing a positive buoyancy life jacket (these are the big orange coloured ones). again, here, there is a methodology to jumping with them (feet crossed* - arms crossed across your chest, holding the top of the life jacket) to avoid injuries. Doing this, without the next step (getting into a lifeboat or liferaft) from a one meter board is a very poor simulation of  abandoning a ship - which is normally done from higher up and with the inflatable type of life jacket and then requires you to right and board a liferaft.

*: If you wonder why we cross the feet, it is because you are simulating jumping in water from a sinking ship. Therefore, you can expect debris floating in the waters around you. If you jump legs opened, well, you can end up with a hit to the vital parts - if you know what I mean. By crossing the feet, you guarantee that the shock of anything you hit will be "absorbed" by your legs and you will be deflected or push it aside automatically.

Thank you for the info, OGBD. I received a PM from another Navy member who helped explain what was causing the confusion also. (I chuckled a little bit, as you're correct, the staff giving direction wasn't Navy.) I'm also not navy, and I wasn't aware that the terminology was incorrect.

Offline BRAVO COMPANY

• Rate Post
BMQ and Infantry Reserves Swimming Requirements
« Reply #312 on: April 16, 2018, 23:30:32 »
Are you required to know how to swim to qualify for the Infantry Reserves and the Basic Military Qualification?

Offline Trueprince2

• Rate Post
Re: BMQ and Infantry Reserves Swimming Requirements
« Reply #313 on: April 17, 2018, 11:37:12 »
Are you required to know how to swim to qualify for the Infantry Reserves and the Basic Military Qualification?
there is a swimming portion of bmq where you swim with your sack and rifle