Author Topic: ADHD, ADD, and why we can't get in rants......  (Read 139474 times)

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
Re: ADHD, ADD, and why we can't get in rants......
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2016, 07:05:29 »
@BinRat55 I'm sorry that my comment was jumping to conclusions. Ill remember that for next time i relate my assessment to someone else's.

No problems and welcome to Army.ca!
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2016, 11:13:15 »
@BinRat55 I'm sorry that my comment was jumping to conclusions. Ill remember that for next time i relate my assessment to someone else's.

clownfool, people "swimming in other people's lanes" is by no means just limited to junior/aspiring CAF members, however, it is something to try and stay away from if you can help it.  Bad habits grow into bigger bad habits as time goes on.  ;)

Regards
G2G

Offline fruitflavor

• Rate Post
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2016, 21:32:09 »
The problem I am having is not that I was diagnosed, but that I still pick up medication but I just don't take it, and I don't know if that will kill my chances of passing medical
also question is what have you been doing with the meds?
ADHD meds aren't cheap and pretty sure almost all if not all of those meds are controlled substances in Canada and US

Offline martiniyahen

• Rate Post
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2016, 12:49:18 »
Hi, I'm just wondering if an individual who is on prescribed adhd medicine, adderall specifically is able to join the forces. I have used it in school but have been off it since april. I can function without it but it allows me to stay focused. Please any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2016, 20:37:51 »
Please search this site for answers to your questions. They have been previously answered.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #205 on: May 27, 2016, 20:48:57 »
Asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding here for reference,

"I'm just wondering if an individual who is on prescribed adhd medicine, adderall specifically is able to join the forces."
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,123155.msg1437273/topicseen.html#new

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2016, 18:28:59 »
Good Day,

During the application process, the recruiting medical personnel will assess your unique medical situation. A complete medical examination is necessary when assessing medical fitness for teh Forces. At this time, the Forces will be able to determine if any existing medical conditions would preclude you from joining. This is also important when restrictions may limit the career choices being considered.

If you have specific medical questions you should contact the recruiting detachment nearest you and ask to speak with a member of the medical staff directly.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2016, 19:06:29 »
Welcome to Army.ca, martiniyahen

Please read through http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,22352.0.html. I will merge this thread with that one soon.

There is a ton of information already on this Site. Spend some time exploring before asking questions, as most questions have been asked and answered already - sometimes repeatedly. By doing this, you'll likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you.

Offline J Gard

• Rate Post
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2016, 22:11:30 »
Hey guys.  I'm about to go do my medical soon.   I have read the forums extensively and believe my situation is a bit different regarding adhd medication. 

I've never been diagnosed with adhd or add before.   My doctor has given me the medication though. I should mention that I I never took any medication as a child or in high school.   I lied about the symptoms so I could get the medication (adderall) . Yeah yeah I know... Stupid. I have just finished university and received my degree and now that I've been hearing about this add medication stuff and being denied, I'm kind of upset and mad at myself.   I only ever used it to study.  I didn't even like taking it otherwise, it made me uncomfortable. Once again, I know I'm an idiot.

I've decided I'm going to be honest with the medical staff about it.  I also have an appointment with my family doctor on Thursday and I'm going to admit I lied and see if that helps me.

Can anyone say anything about my situation?  Am I screwed?  Can I get stuff removed or changed on my medical record? Any one have any tips or opinions? Sorry for the poor grammar, I'm on a phone.

Offline Alexis

• Rate Post
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2016, 14:51:04 »
Hey guys.  I'm about to go do my medical soon.   I have read the forums extensively and believe my situation is a bit different regarding adhd medication. 

I've never been diagnosed with adhd or add before.   My doctor has given me the medication though. I should mention that I I never took any medication as a child or in high school.   I lied about the symptoms so I could get the medication (adderall) . Yeah yeah I know... Stupid. I have just finished university and received my degree and now that I've been hearing about this add medication stuff and being denied, I'm kind of upset and mad at myself.   I only ever used it to study.  I didn't even like taking it otherwise, it made me uncomfortable. Once again, I know I'm an idiot.

I've decided I'm going to be honest with the medical staff about it.  I also have an appointment with my family doctor on Thursday and I'm going to admit I lied and see if that helps me.

Can anyone say anything about my situation?  Am I screwed?  Can I get stuff removed or changed on my medical record? Any one have any tips or opinions? Sorry for the poor grammar, I'm on a phone.

You probably already had your medical but I had mine June 6th, I have ADHD and when I was a child, I was given med's but I haven't been on them since I was 8...they saw that I had a job and was doing fine, the SGT said he has to put me unfit and my medical would be sent to Ottawa, it would be Ottawas choice to make me fit or not and a few weeks later they declared me fit. Just got to be honest with them, but the guys doing my medical were super nice.  [:D good luck!!  :salute:
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Med Tech
Application Date: Oct. 22 2015
First Contact: Oct. 23 2015
CFAT/TSD/PI: Nov. 19 2015 (passed)
Medical: June 6 2016 (passed)
Interview: May 31 2016 (passed)
Background: May 10 16 (Cleared)
Pre-security clearance (not born in canada): Ottawa said not needed
PLAR started: July 27 16
PLAR completed: Aug 17 16
Merit listed: Aug 30 16
Position Offered: Sep 12 16
Swear in: Oct 25 16
BMQ: Nov 7th 16

Offline TabascoOyster

• Rate Post
« Reply #210 on: August 20, 2016, 00:04:38 »
!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 19:46:38 by TabascoOyster »

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2016, 16:54:40 »
Finally, my question; How will this affect my current application to become a Medical Assistant (i'm pursuing medicine in regards to academics)? Will I automatically be checked off as unfit for service and sent to Ottawa for further evaluation?

Thanks to everyone for their time and feedback!!  :salute: [:)

The only people who can give you the correct answer to that are the fine folks at the Recruiting Centre.  Give them a call/email.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
  • Drive Fast, And Leave A Sexy Corpse
« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2017, 16:14:47 »
What are the Canadian forces rules and regulations on Applicants with ADHD?
Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2017, 16:22:54 »
I'm sure there's a wealth of information on that subject lurking under the search button.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
  • Drive Fast, And Leave A Sexy Corpse
« Reply #214 on: March 23, 2017, 16:24:44 »
nothing came up when i searched...
Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #215 on: March 23, 2017, 16:38:44 »
nothing came up when i searched..

Forgive me then, I would not have pointed you in that direction had I known.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #216 on: March 23, 2017, 17:58:30 »
nothing came up when i searched...

It's even stickied at the top of its sub-forum to make it even easier to find.

Most of the commonly-sought topics are similarly stickied.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2017, 17:46:45 »
Forgive me then, I would not have pointed you in that direction had I known.

:rofl:  and then...    :facepalm:
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline PushToStart

• Rate Post
« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2017, 13:04:34 »

There is so much that people need to learn about ADHD and meds. The discussion here is a bit of a mess. Here are some clarifications.
  • ADHD meds don't necessarily change behavior in a functionally-relevant way. I take ADHD meds sometimes before I teach because it makes teaching easier. I taught for 10 years without the meds, however, and never had any issues. Similarly, I can wear ankle braces when running. It makes running easier but I can run fine without them. The braces just make my muscle and tendon endurance virtually endless.
  • ADHD meds can make you better but your average can still be much better than the average of the general population. 
  • Discriminating on the basis of having been diagnosed is absurd. Most people don't get diagnosed at all and never have the help of a therapist in learning coping mechanisms. For this reason, someone who has been diagnosed and treated is in a better position than someone who has not
  • As a higher education instructor of 20 years, it is my experience that students with learning 'dosabilities' like ADHD tend to be better at many tasks, like thinking on one's feet, ability to process many diverse stimuli at once, speed and on-the-spot creativity for problem solving. These are desirable traits even in a military environment.
Hence it is spurious to reject applicants on the basis of an ADHD diagnosis.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2017, 13:12:00 »
Fortunately we have actual medical doctors that make the determination that an ADHD diagnosis can preclude someone from serving. Despite your experience as a "higher education instructor", I'd rather trust a qualified medical doctor telling me who can and cannot serve in the CAF. I'd suggest you read up on our medical category system before you make grandiose pronouncements that we have it all wrong. Your experience also gives you 0 ability to decide what a military environment even is, let alone who can serve successfully in it.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2017, 13:18:34 »
Hence it is spurious to reject applicants on the basis of an ADHD diagnosis.

....and that's based on your 0% experience in the Armed Forces?

The rules exist for a reason, if at some point they change in the future it will be because experienced doctors who know what they're talking about in regards to a military environment say so.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline PushToStart

• Rate Post
« Reply #221 on: August 14, 2017, 13:26:15 »
Actually, I completed basic and infantry training many years ago, on no meds. I would suggest that we all regard with respect first-hand experience, experience with people who have been diagnosed with learning disabilities, as well as medical advice. As any psychiatrist will tell you, the jury is still out in the scientific community on many of the issues I've commented on here. It's also notable that there tends to be no ADHD influence on physical performance. In terms of intellectual tasks, I do, in fact, possess the expertise to comment on performance and evaluation. There is full disclosure of learning disabilities in colleges and universities, and there's no replacement for experience in our constant struggle to make sense of new and emerging 'disorders.' If you take issue with any of the points I have raised, I suggest that you address these directly, as opposed to focusing fallaciously on the author. This isn't meant to be a competition but an intellectual exchange. You may choose to ignore it but it may be of value to others.

Offline PushToStart

• Rate Post
« Reply #222 on: August 14, 2017, 13:27:32 »
....and that's based on your 0% experience in the Armed Forces?

The rules exist for a reason, if at some point they change in the future it will be because experienced doctors who know what they're talking about in regards to a military environment say so.

I am not sure why this was assumed. It's false, as my response indicates. There seems to be a defensiveness in this thread. My goal is only to help. Cheers.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2017, 13:39:27 »
Your information right now serves only to give people false hope. Every individual is evaluated on their condition at enrollment, and if its serious enough, they're not suitable to serve. If you have practical experience with ADHD diagnosis, treatment and its effect on military service, send it to D Med Pol in Ottawa. No one here is going to change the rules, and your "information" will just create strain on the system when an applicant says "Well this random person on the internet with unverifiable service and medical credentials says I should be fine, so I'm fine." The enrollment medical system has likely seen changes since you had your brief service in CAF (over 20 years ago), as has the nature of military service.

If you read through this thread, you'll find some success stories where people were misdiagnosed as youth, and lots of stories where people were denied. Again, medical doctors (not higher education instructors) make these rules for who gets in. I'm very comfortable with their ability to find the best people for the job, the CAF is allowed to discriminate against disabilities due to the unique nature of military service and deployed environments.

You also completely failed to address the definition of ADHD:

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/index.shtml
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Definition

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a brain disorder marked by an ongoing pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development.

Inattention means a person wanders off task, lacks persistence, has difficulty sustaining focus, and is disorganized; and these problems are not due to defiance or lack of comprehension.

Hyperactivity means a person seems to move about constantly, including in situations in which it is not appropriate; or excessively fidgets, taps, or talks. In adults, it may be extreme restlessness or wearing others out with constant activity.

Impulsivity means a person makes hasty actions that occur in the moment without first thinking about them and that may have high potential for harm; or a desire for immediate rewards or inability to delay gratification. An impulsive person may be socially intrusive and excessively interrupt others or make important decisions without considering the long-term consequences.

Inattention, hyperactivity or impulsivity (especially high potential for harm) are not traits I want for someone in a challenging combat situation. How does your experience see these symptoms manifest under high levels of stress without medication available? I'm willing to bet your anecdotal experience hasn't covered that extremely important situation.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2017, 18:07:29 »
The Armed Forces do not exist to provide fun employment to people. They exist to defend this Country. That involves a variety of severe stresses and challenges, the need to kill people when required, and the need to function and survive under those conditions. Lives, mission success, and expensive and often irreplaceable equipment depend upon having the fittest and best-trained people possible. Reality can be harsh and unforgiveable.

Medical standards exist for good and valid reason. They have been challenged and effectively defended. I doubt that you'd find any currently-serving, or former, member willing to have somebody who does not meet medical (and other) standards serving beside them when lives are at stake.

Meet the standards, and enrollment is likely. Do not meet them, and do not expect to be enrolled. That may not be nice for the applicant, but it is necessary and right.