Author Topic: Lost - Missing Kit ( merged )  (Read 69045 times)

Offline trooper142

• Rate Post
Re: Kit Return
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2018, 17:34:00 »
I'm releasing in a few weeks and have an appointment scheduled to return all my kit to base supply/clothing next week.   Can anyone please tell me accurately what the policy is or what happens if I cannot find all of my kit to return?   I cannot find several items, including rain jacket & rain pants, cadpat daybag, bivvy bag and ranger blanket, and seem to be missing 1 set of combats top and bottom.  I have everything else ie: rucksack, sleeping bags, helmet, tacvest, fragvest etc.  What happens if I cannot locate and return these items?

Cadpat uniforms are controlled and have to be reported to the MPs. Depending who you talk to, that includes the rain jacket and pants, because it carries the cadpat pattern, but I'm not exactly sure about that

As for the other stuff, you'll have to likely fill a lost report and will be charged for the more expensive items. They don't usually care for small stuff, but you'll have to discuss that with them.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2018, 19:36:54 »
Quote from: broken dude
   I cannot find several items, including rain jacket & rain pants, cadpat daybag, bivvy bag and ranger blanket, and seem to be missing 1 set of combats top and bottom.
Lol
Can't find it eh?  No one will believe that.
You're going to have to pay for that stuff, a few hundred dollars at least, and hope the military police don't start an investigation on you.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 20:51:10 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline trooper142

• Rate Post
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2018, 11:45:26 »
Lol
Can't find it eh?  No one will believe that.
You're going to have to pay for that stuff, a few hundred dollars at least, and hope the military police don't start an investigation on you.

This was my thoughts as well, but I didn't want to say it lol!

This list of missing stuff does certainly look suspicious to say the least, might warrant a look! Dollar amount is easily over 500$, given the coat and pants themselves are close to 400$

But I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to the member and say that the missing items, which for the most part is on the side of nicer items issued; was actually lost and not just "missing"

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2018, 12:17:49 »
I'm releasing in a few weeks and have an appointment scheduled to return all my kit to base supply/clothing next week.   Can anyone please tell me accurately what the policy is or what happens if I cannot find all of my kit to return?   I cannot find several items, including rain jacket & rain pants, cadpat daybag, bivvy bag and ranger blanket, and seem to be missing 1 set of combats top and bottom.  I have everything else ie: rucksack, sleeping bags, helmet, tacvest, fragvest etc.  What happens if I cannot locate and return these items?

Bring your cheque book.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2018, 12:21:39 »

Bring your cheque book.

MM

Serious question - do people still use those?!
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2018, 12:25:47 »
Serious question - do people still use those?!

Yup - I still have rent to pay monthly, and when I cleared out for the last time, had to bring mine because there were some missing items.  The Receiver General likes cheques still.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline brokendude

• Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2018, 14:54:54 »
I have been told there is a maximum dollar amount authorized to be charged when items of issued kit are not returned and reports are done.

Offline trooper142

• Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2018, 15:02:22 »
I have been told there is a maximum dollar amount authorized to be charged when items of issued kit are not returned and reports are done.

That doesn't negate the MPs from investigating the losses, even if there is a maximum reimbursable amount.

My recommendation would be to continue looking, so you don't open yourself to unnecessary scrutiny.

Offline brokendude

• Rate Post
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2018, 15:11:31 »
What happened was I was injured on an exercise and had to be transported to a local hospital for treatement immediately.   When I was taken to the hospital in the safety vehicle, all my kit remained at the site of training.   Several days later, I received most of my kit back, except my daybag which had my rainsuit, ranger blanket inside bivvy bag, one full set of combats, extra pair of boots, goretex socks, field hat etc.   Essentially a full days worth of dry clothing along with sleeping gear.   This was a few years back and I evidently never filed the report.  I have been injured since that day and not deployed to field, therefore I have not gone through my kit since. So I had completely forgotten about it until now that Im medically releasing and trying to find and organize all my kit to turn back in.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2018, 15:55:50 »
Shitty deal dude.  You may get some people to collaborate your story but there's going to be a lot of questions about you not noticing you didn't have a rain jacket or only 2 sets of uniforms in a few years I would guess.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2018, 16:07:47 »
Just write that up on the loss report, you'll be fine.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2018, 18:24:51 »
What happened was I was injured on an exercise and had to be transported to a local hospital for treatement immediately.   When I was taken to the hospital in the safety vehicle, all my kit remained at the site of training.   Several days later, I received most of my kit back, except my daybag which had my rainsuit, ranger blanket inside bivvy bag, one full set of combats, extra pair of boots, goretex socks, field hat etc.   Essentially a full days worth of dry clothing along with sleeping gear.   This was a few years back and I evidently never filed the report.  I have been injured since that day and not deployed to field, therefore I have not gone through my kit since. So I had completely forgotten about it until now that Im medically releasing and trying to find and organize all my kit to turn back in.

If that's the case, your med file should also have that on it (injury, date, etc).  I was injured once, they cut my parka and combats off me at the BHosp in Lancaster Park, I don't remember what happened to my boots.  Once I clued in later on, after being released from the BHosp and all that, I submitted a MLR/LKR whichever you want to call it, explained what happened and how my stuff was cut off me, etc and I didn't pay a cent and my SOI was topped back up.
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline brokendude

• Rate Post
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2018, 18:33:02 »
If that's the case, your med file should also have that on it (injury, date, etc).  I was injured once, they cut my parka and combats off me at the BHosp in Lancaster Park, I don't remember what happened to my boots.  Once I clued in later on, after being released from the BHosp and all that, I submitted a MLR/LKR whichever you want to call it, explained what happened and how my stuff was cut off me, etc and I didn't pay a cent and my SOI was topped back up.

Yes, everything about the injury is on file.  Hence why I am being medically released.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2018, 18:38:40 »
Best of luck 'on the other side'. 
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline brokendude

• Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2018, 21:20:27 »
Best of luck 'on the other side'.

Thank you!  Cheers

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Lost - Missing Kit
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2018, 10:12:50 »
Chapter 38 of the QR&O covers your liability and requirement to pay.  It's complicated and horribly outdated, but it is nevertheless, the rule.  In a nutshell, the maximum anyone can ever be ORDERED to pay is $250 and that has to go to the CDS!  Having said that, there is nothing precluding the Department from going after the whole amount of any loss, they would just have to go through a legal process to do it (in layman's terms, get a court order).  It is also worth noting that the regulations specifically mention that negligence is a key element in finding a member liable - no negligence or even only minor negligence should result in no requirement to pay.  There is a strong argument to say that any negligence in this case would be minor in nature.

Whatever you do, don't let the guy on the counter tell you that you have to pay then and there.  You MUST be given the chance to object on the grounds that the proposed deduction is "excessive or unwarranted." 
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2018, 10:43:12 »
Chapter 38 of the QR&O covers your liability and requirement to pay.  It's complicated and horribly outdated, but it is nevertheless, the rule.  In a nutshell, the maximum anyone can ever be ORDERED to pay is $250 and that has to go to the CDS!  Having said that, there is nothing precluding the Department from going after the whole amount of any loss, they would just have to go through a legal process to do it (in layman's terms, get a court order).  It is also worth noting that the regulations specifically mention that negligence is a key element in finding a member liable - no negligence or even only minor negligence should result in no requirement to pay.  There is a strong argument to say that any negligence in this case would be minor in nature.

Whatever you do, don't let the guy on the counter tell you that you have to pay then and there.  You MUST be given the chance to object on the grounds that the proposed deduction is "excessive or unwarranted."

100% right.  I have dealt with JR Sup Techs on power trips who think they can scare people with high dollar amounts. 

Also your CO is the deciding factor as per recovery or not.  Not some Cpl at the clothing stores counter.

The stated QR&O has that reference and so does the Supply Admin Manual (SAM).  Unfortunately I am on leave and camping or I would provide you the SAM ref as well. 
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2018, 10:55:34 »
Notice how it's the Navy guys who are telling folks how to defend themselves against excessive or unwarranted payments for lost kit?

Coincidence, or are we just nicer?   ;D

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2018, 12:00:06 »
Notice how it's the Navy guys who are telling folks how to defend themselves against excessive or unwarranted payments for lost kit?

Coincidence, or are we just nicer?   ;D

How about compassionate ? Lol
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline A Very Cold Fire

• Rate Post
Lost mortar glove
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:58 »
Hey everyone, I just finished my first BMQ weekend as a reservist and got issued my kit, however I didn't get a ride and I ended up having to bring all my equipment home via public transport. Somewhere along my trip, I being the idiot I am managed to lose one of my mortar gloves, or whatever the gloves that are black on the inside and green on the outside are called. I need to get it replaced before my next BMQ or else I feel I'm going to get ripped a new one, does anyone know how much it costs and how to get one replaced?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Lost mortar glove
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2018, 11:13:03 »
I didn't get a ride and I ended up having to bring all my equipment home via public transport.

I assume you have done so already, but in case you have not, you may call the Lost and Found of the transit service.

Offline A Very Cold Fire

• Rate Post
Re: Lost - Missing Kit ( merged )
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2018, 11:22:26 »
Already tried, they Haven't seen anything. I think I need to have it replaced, but I have no idea how much it costs. Is it possible to have only one glove get replaced?

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2018, 11:54:12 »
Already tried, they Haven't seen anything. I think I need to have it replaced, but I have no idea how much it costs. Is it possible to have only one glove get replaced?

Just go to your QM, file a stores loss report and tell them what happened.  They'll issue you a new pair.  You're not the first and you won't be the last to go through this.  Crap happens.  Consider that it may have fallen out at the armoury and that someone picked it up and turned it in.  One can dream!  If it is actually lost, see what I wrote above about QR&O Chapt 38.  At the very least, you should only be asked to pay 50% of the cost of a new pair.

Offline A Very Cold Fire

• Rate Post
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2018, 12:58:13 »
Alright, thanks for the advice! 50% sounds very reasonable. Do you think I'll be able to get them in time for BMQ in two weeks?

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2018, 16:13:50 »
Do you not have contact info for your staff? Call your Sect Comd and explain the situation, and ask what you should do next. Nobody knows your unit/course staff, so we cannot tell you how and when you'll get new gloves or the paperwork required specifically by your course.