Author Topic: Dog Tags  (Read 263654 times)

nbk

Re: dog tags
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2003, 15:00:00 »
Would you get chewed out if you wrote down "Athiest" on your forms? Because I have met some people who have the wrong idea of what an Athiest is. They think Athiests are people who don‘t care about life, worship satan, etc, which I certainly would not want my recruiters thinking...

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2003, 15:17:00 »
If you‘re a wiccan, satanist, celtic spiritualist, druid or whatever else, it just gets filed under "other" and will be marked as such on your ID disks. It you‘re an atheist, just write NRE=No Religion Expressed, and THAT wil be marked on your ID disks.

They‘re not allowed to discriminate by religion. Unless of couse, you write "KKK" or "white supremist" or something on your forms.  ;)
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline gryphon664

• Rate Post
  • VVV
    • http://ca.geocities.com/imreglaser
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2003, 22:08:00 »
However, an Atheist isn‘t someone who doesn‘t have a religion. Atheism is an actual religion. it‘s a belief that nothing exists
Velox Versutus Vigilans!

Per Nuntium Ad Victoriam!

Illucigen

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2003, 22:19:00 »
Im Agnostic (I dont believe "He" exists, nor do I believe "He" doesn‘t. Can‘t say either way), and my religion is stamped NRE.

To be honest, I had thought about putting Catholic on there, for my families sake. But after research, I recognized that in the modern forces, with fears of law suits and human rights laws, in most modern situations the families of victims are given overall say in burial proceedings, excluding where a will or extenuating circumstances prevail.

So Im NRE.

a_user

Dog tag details -
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2003, 23:37:00 »
Whats on the Canadian miltary dog tags these days?  I‘ve heard they‘ve changed in the last couple years but Im suspicious of this claim.

Is it still the standard four lines in the following format?

lastname
first name, middle intial
Hxx xxx xxx
blood type

I have heard they have included MOS now and changed the name formatting, can someone verify this for me and confirm the correct format before I say anything.

Thanks

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
Re: Dog tag details -
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2003, 23:56:00 »
The format on my 6 month-old ID discs is;

A12 345 678
AJ Bloggins
(religion)   Blood Type
CDN FORCES CDN

DnA

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2003, 13:51:00 »
this is what Canadian ID discs(Dog Tags) look like

DnA

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2003, 13:52:00 »
The format on my 6 month-old ID discs is;

A12 345 678
AJ Bloggins
(religion) Blood Type
CDN FORCES CDN
I didnt think religion was still put on the ID discs

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2003, 14:40:00 »
C‘mon guys. We just went through this at the beginning of January.
Go here:
 http://CdnArmy.ca/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000608

For anyone new (or not), please search the past threads before you post a question. We admire your thirst for knowledge and most of us are willing to give ours in spades. However, some time on your part will save much more on ours. If you still have questions after searching go ahead and ask, but look first and don‘t just post a query to anything that pops into your head without checking. Many of the recent, questioned subjects have already been covered ad nauseum. Some like this, fairly recently. Be resourceful, it‘s a growing, sought after trait in the CF.  :)
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

BestOfTheBest

Dog Tags
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2002, 16:20:00 »
Do you get dog tags when you are in the reserves?

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
Do Reservists have ID tags?
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2002, 16:58:00 »
Yes you do.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2002, 18:15:00 »
Yes, you‘re supposed to. Although I‘ve filled out the form for them 7 times in 4 years and still haven‘t seen mine.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2002, 22:49:00 »
Wow, you haven‘t gotten your ID Discs for 4 years? I put the papers in 3 months ago and they‘re in, just waiting to be picked up when the office is actually open when I‘m on parade.

But, on the other hand I don‘t quite have any winter kit yet, and probably won‘t have any until after this month‘s ex.. I‘m hopping it‘ll be really warm that weekend.  :)

Offline PikaChe

• I'm not a communist. I just work for them
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Pika la Revoluci├│n!
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2002, 23:02:00 »
^How about you don‘t bet on that?  ;)

I got sized for Goretex stuff, but I doubt they‘ll arrive soon...

And it snowed today! and it‘s only first of november

Offline sguido

• Rate Post
Identity Disc Religion: What would you put down?
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2004, 14:16:38 »
Here's something to provoke thought:

Given the state of the world today, and the atrocities committed against POW/Hostages by extremist groups, what religion would you want your ID Discs to indicate if something *really* bad happened and you're now a "guest" of such a group?

If you're Jewish, would you put that down, seeing as how it would most certainly give you uncomfortable treatment?

What about Catholic, which may be construed as launching a modern "Crusade" against Islam?

If you're an "Other", or the abbreviation isn't well known, would you take the risk that your captors will research the abbreviation?

If you're an Atheist, would you admit to your captors you don't believe in any God?

Would you get a commercial set for use in 'special' times, where the religion is fully spelt out, providing a little bit of insurance against semi-illiterate captors who may construe unknown initials as being Jewish?

Just curious if anyone's given any thought to this matter...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 11:49:57 by sguido »

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Identity Disc Religion: What would you put down?
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2004, 14:52:34 »
Use  "NRE" - No Religion Entered. It means whatever you want and nothing, one way or the other.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

hiv

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2004, 15:08:19 »
I'm a Taoist so I put OD.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2004, 15:12:53 »
I just ordered a new set of tags today and I put NRE which means No Religion Expressed, or so I understood. Either way, recceguy is right, NRE doesn't mean you don't believe in God, it's just kinda vague which God you believe in if you believe in one at all.

Cheers
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Jamson

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2004, 15:15:40 »
I would put Atheist down, thats what I believe in and I don't care what anyone else says, not believing in God doesn't make me a bad person.

*edit* To answer the question given by the original poster: I don't think my captors would care to much what religion I am, if I am fighting against them would it matter?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 15:18:36 by Daryl J »

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2004, 15:38:57 »
I doubt the extremists would know how to read the id tags properly so you don't have to worry about it.

dutchie

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2004, 16:00:08 »
Edited

Having said that, if someone wants to kill me strictly based on my religion, then so be it.

FYI/Unsolicited advice:please do not let this thread degrade into a religious discussion, not that I helped that with my post. The original question is a good one, and one that should be thought through before you indicate your choice on the form.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 20:23:06 by Caeser »

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2004, 16:52:58 »
No disrespect to anyone else's own beliefs, but I belive my religion forbids me to deny my God. That is, I cannot put NRE, as that amounts to denying I am a Christian

Using NRE on your tags doesn't deny God. I myself believe in God, and in the Bible, but have no association with an organized religion. I chose to have NRE put on my tags.

NRE just means that on your tags it doesn't acknowledge an association to a known religious group. It doesn't deny it. Now if you want to have that as a means so they can identify what kind of ceremony or prayer to say if, knock on wood it doesn't happen, you should die in the field, then put your religious association.

As far as treatment of POW's due to the religion based on the tags, well, to tell you the truth, I don't think the 3 letters on that piece of metal will make a difference. If you're taken by a group that differentiates based on that, the likelyhood is that they'd treat anyone the same. Badly
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

dutchie

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2004, 17:12:41 »
"Using NRE on your tags doesn't deny God."
I have my opinion/beleifs, you yours. This belief is true of me and me alone. I am not comfortable putting NRE on MY tags, but wouldn't assume another is 'denying God' by putting it on theirs....perhaps I was a little unclear. As well, I consider my beliefs to be fairly private, and as such I am regretting my first post a little....but I digress.

I don't think the 3 letters on that piece of metal will make a difference.

neither do I, sadly.

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
  • Proud to be Canadian ARTE ET MARTE
    • http://www.25service.ca
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2004, 17:14:38 »
Here's something to provoke thought:

Given the state of the world today, and the atrocities committed against POW/Hostages by extremist groups, what religion would you want your ID Discs to indicate if something *really* bad happened and you're now a "guest" of such a group?

If you're Jewish, would you put that down, seeing as how it would most certainly give you uncomfortable treatment?

What about Catholic, which may be construed as launching a modern "Crusade" against Islam?

If you're an "Other", or the abbreviation isn't well known, would you take the risk that your captors will research the abbreviation?

If you're an Atheist, would you admit to your captors you don't believe in any God?

Would you get a commercial set for use in 'special' times, where the religion is fully spelt out, providing a little bit of insurance against semi-illiterate captors who may contrue unknown initials as being Jewish?

Just curious if anyone's given any thought to this matter...

Seeing as though i am jewish, heres the thing. If im serving my country in the armed forces,  ┬áthe only reason I have that on my tags is so i can be identified and properly buried in accordance with my religious beliefs. Even though i dont fully believe in the religion i have been raised by my parents to believe, in it and for their sake i put it on my tags. If i was ever a POW, and for the soul reason i was to be tortured or killed because i was jewish, so be it. Ill stand up for my beliefs and for my country and its just the way the world works for me. If i had it any other way i wouldn't be defending my right to thought freedom belief or expression
Proud to drink and be Canadian.
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

dutchie

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2004, 17:32:46 »
I believe in separating one's religion from soldiering. For instance, I don't where a cross while in uniform, as I feel that religious identification does not belong on a uniform. My religion has ZERO bearing on the performance of my duties. To take it one step further, say you were in Iraq, on patrol, wearing a noticable Jewish star around your neck. This, IMHO, would seriously hinder your ability to interact with the locals in a meaningful way.

But religion being the tinder box of discussion as it is, I respect other's opinion regarding this. Some feel the need to display their religious markings, whether it be a cross, pagan star, or WWJD? bracelet. I don't happen to share this need.