Author Topic: What book are you reading now?  (Read 290463 times)

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: What book are you reading now?
« Reply #1500 on: April 20, 2019, 01:32:24 »
Just to touch upon JM’s comments about the HOM cases, at least 4 are with the US DoJ prosecutors in the SDNY. This particular office is notoriously aggressive and seems to be in a reputational competition with the EDNY, who also have some cases referred which they are now turning their minds to after successfully prosecuting Joaquin Guzman (El Chapo). You may recall that when Trump culled the prosecutors in both of these districts early on in his mandate, other prosecutors resigned. The result has seen a slew of younger, aggressive and insanely motivated group of attorneys given high profile files that they will not back down on. ( nor should they).
Living the lean life

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #1501 on: May 13, 2019, 16:35:18 »
Vicky Ward Kushner Inc., Greed, Ambition, Corruption

https://www.amazon.ca/Kushner-Inc-Ambition-Corruption-Extraordinary/dp/1250185947

Not a bad book. Obviously targeted at showing the shambles in the White House and the nepotism and kleptocracy that has developed with Trump's election. Many of these stories are not new and should concern any right thinking Republican who voted to shake up the governing elite and "drain the swamp" for the benefit of the country. The end result has instead become a whole new crop of amateurs meddling where they shouldn't in order to line their own pockets or to "build their brand".

The writing is fast paced although this frequently builds to a crescendo which leaves one hanging waiting for a punch line. The book was written before the Mueller Report hints at the fact that there are still sealed indictments out there which will hit out at the Kushners who are not painted in a favourable light at all.

Worth the read? Sure if you have time but get a library copy. It's not worth keeping on your bookshelf.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #1502 on: May 13, 2019, 17:19:56 »
Jonathan Kellerman - Flesh and Blood
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #1503 on: May 13, 2019, 18:04:34 »
The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan.  Basically traces a chronological history of the world but focusing on Asia (as in Turkey and east), arguing that western Europe (which is mostly taught in North America) was really small potatoes in geopolitics until the discovery of the Americas.  I'm sure it's not like that anymore, but reading this book really makes me want to visit places like Istanbul and Samarkand.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline fake penguin

• Rate Post
« Reply #1504 on: May 14, 2019, 04:51:25 »
Just finished jack murphy’s book murphy’s Law

It’s about a guy who went from ranger regiment to the green beret to now being a journalist for sofrep.

civilian

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #1505 on: May 14, 2019, 09:20:50 »
I'm reading Sturmartillerie: Spearhead of the infantry, by Thomas Anderson.

It's the history of the German use of assault guns in the second world war. 
So, there I was....

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #1506 on: May 14, 2019, 16:53:57 »
I'm reading Sturmartillerie: Spearhead of the infantry, by Thomas Anderson.

It's the history of the German use of assault guns in the second world war.

It was a great weapon system at the time when there was much debate as to the proper use of "infantry" tanks and "cruiser" tanks. The Sturmgeschuetz was an excellent compromise to replace the "infantry" tank with a weapon system that was simpler to operate/maintain, and because of its lack of a turret and its restricted traverse capability was able to mount a much heavier gun than a similar sized turreted tank of the time.

I'll have to look that one up.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #1507 on: May 14, 2019, 23:08:50 »
Busy reading to my niece.

Most recent book I've read is this lovely little story:

Fox And the Jumping Contest

Just because she's only 16 months old doesn't mean she doesn't have an appreciation for silly stories being read in silly voices - she apparently finds my Mad Scientist voice an utter joy, for example.

Now, I just wish she didn't have her father's knack for mimicry - evil laughter is not supposed to come from that young of a child!

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #1508 on: May 21, 2019, 08:36:04 »
It was a great weapon system at the time when there was much debate as to the proper use of "infantry" tanks and "cruiser" tanks. The Sturmgeschuetz was an excellent compromise to replace the "infantry" tank with a weapon system that was simpler to operate/maintain, and because of its lack of a turret and its restricted traverse capability was able to mount a much heavier gun than a similar sized turreted tank of the time.

I'll have to look that one up.

Of course the Germans never did things the simple way.  Production of the StuGs was run by the Artillery, not the Armour Corps.  And the StuG III was the most-produced AFV in Germany in the war, based on the Pz III.
Having said that, its artillery crews (used as intimate support, I suppose, as well as Anti-Tank artillery) were proud of their role to support the infantry.  By upgrading the gun to the 75 Long Barrel, they were able to maintain their ability to pump 75mm HE shells into enemy bunkers, etc, but also to provide some pretty good AT support.

So, there I was....

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #1509 on: May 29, 2019, 00:04:18 »
Just finished this book, a very interesting read by a former Westie....

Appel: A Canadian in the French Foreign Legion

Appel: A Canadian in the French Foreign Legion is the first-hand account of the author’s six years as a professional soldier during the 1990s, and his experience in the Legion's elite Groupe des Commandos Parachutistes (GCP). Joel Struthers recounts the dangers and demands of military life, from the rigours of recruitment and operational training in the rugged mountains of France, to face-to-face combat in the grasslands of some of Africa’s most troubled nations.

Told through the eyes of a soldier, and interspersed with humorous anecdotes, Appel is a fascinating story that debunks myths about the French Foreign Legion and shows it more accurately as a professional arm of the French military. Struthers provides insight into the rigorous discipline that the Legion instills in its young recruits, – who trade their identities as individuals for a life of adventure and a role in a unified fighting force whose motto is “Honour and Loyalty.”

Foreword by Col. Benoit Desmeulles, former commanding officer of the Legions 2e Régiment Étranger Parachutistes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Appel-Canadian-French-Foreign-Legion/dp/177112105X
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #1510 on: May 31, 2019, 16:26:27 »
We Are Displaced by Malala Yousafzai.  She talks a little bit about her story, which most have heard by now, but most of the book is comprised of stories from other displaced women and girls and their journey.

It’s equal parts sad and hopeful - sad that these things have happened to those people, and hopeful that others have stepped up to care for and support them.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."