Author Topic: Submarine Trades  (Read 39354 times)

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
Re: Submariners: Volunteers?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2005, 08:44:07 »
in my prior life (ere Navy), I enjoyed RV 89 at beautiful Camp Wainwright complete with caterpillars and weird weather and of course the bus ride into Edmonton for 48's and the Cadillac Ranch....

« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 08:56:41 by HFXCrow »
Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

Offline Senor Mono

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 13:25:43 »
So I'm guessing MARS officers can be "voluntold" to serve on subs? 

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2005, 13:52:33 »

I wouldn't assume that. One of the MARS types here would be able to better answer that question. Like all trades, it depends if they have enough volunteers.
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Online Monsoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2005, 15:40:40 »
Could be, but I gather there are enough volunteers that it's not necessary to force people to serve on subs.  Now, that's not to say they'll let you off easily once you get tired of being there...

Offline squidink

• Rate Post
Submariners
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 19:27:58 »
Can anyone out there provide some info on the subject of submarine service?

I've been browsing the forums sections over and over and up and down and it looks like all of an NCMs initial training is completed on a surface vessel.  So, if I were hoping to serve on one of the refurbished subs then how much surface service is required before I can get into the sub-surface service?

Additionally, during your IE will you be asked if you prefer West or East coast or will they ask you specifically about the type of vessel that you'd be interested in working on?  I'd originally thought that the Navy would find you a place where they need you. A choice almost sounded too good to be true ...

I've passed BMQ and am engaging 2 years of Electronics Engineering and I could use some experienced guidance. I'm working with an Army unit (I'm landlocked) while waiting on school to start. My ULO is a former Operator of some sort from the West coast (now Army) and had a totally different entry plan, so I'm not getting much through him.

I'm not used to riding blind because I usually have a plan, but so far so good ...  help?    :piper:  where to go???

squid
"Your service rifle alone won't solve all of the world's problems, that's why it has an attachment for your bayonet."

aesop081

Re: NCM submarine service
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 19:35:34 »
  I'd originally thought that the Navy would find you a place where they need you.

The military will send you where you are needed. This is the over-riding factor. If it happens to coincide with your desire than everyone is happy. If that's not the case than so be it as well.

Yiu can choose location "A" all you want, if there is no positions available there, you're going to location "B".

Offline Lex Parsimoniae

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 12:53:59 »
What trade are you?  Are you in the regular force or reserves?

Offline Lex Parsimoniae

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 18:40:44 »
I'm at BMQ right now as a Sonar Op.  I'm hoping to go subs as well.  I was told to just make that fact known during my QL3. I'm pretty sure the requirements are set trade by trade.
SONAR Operators and some MSE tech trades (IIRC - it's Mar Eng Mech and Mar El) can come down as OS now.  Remainder is still at the LS level.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:34:30 by Lex Parsimoniae »

Offline Springroll

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 11:45:12 »
So, if I were hoping to serve on one of the refurbished subs then how much surface service is required before I can get into the sub-surface service?

Surface service is not required before going subs.

Additionally, during your IE will you be asked if you prefer West or East coast or will they ask you specifically about the type of vessel that you'd be interested in working on? 

Yes they will ask you what coast you prefer and what vessel you would like to go to on your QL3 course, but that is no guarantee on where you will be sent. They will send you where they need you.

"Take every day with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a Margarita"

Offline squidink

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 21:57:03 »
What trade are you?  Are you in the regular force or reserves?

I'm enlisted as NE Tech (Comm) RegF and that trade may change with the 'amalgamation' that we all keep hearing about. Needless to say, a ship is a ship and needs its electronics techs. So many of the Officers (referencing the ship's bios on the Forces site) that take command of the subs look like they have a lot of surface experience and/or international educations that it just made me think that an NCM would have to have served in a similar routing, or well at least had some of the surface going deployment time before going sub-surface, just not the lengthy education.

Yes they will ask you what coast you prefer and what vessel you would like to go to on your QL3 course, but that is no guarantee on where you will be sent. They will send you where they need you.

As an NCM SEP do I not skip my QL3 package?
"Your service rifle alone won't solve all of the world's problems, that's why it has an attachment for your bayonet."

Offline squidink

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 22:08:51 »
I'm pretty sure the requirements are set trade by trade.

I appreciate the help Stacked, but that's only tuning the vagueness up a few notches for me... kind of like boot black before you spit it up for polishing  :)  How's your BMQ? I graduated the same platoon as kmcneil.

Keep that rifle oiled!   :warstory:

Offline Sub-normal

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 02:16:51 »
I'm enlisted as NE Tech (Comm) RegF and that trade may change with the 'amalgamation' that we all keep hearing about. Needless to say, a ship is a ship and needs its electronics techs. So many of the Officers (referencing the ship's bios on the Forces site) that take command of the subs look like they have a lot of surface experience and/or international educations that it just made me think that an NCM would have to have served in a similar routing, or well at least had some of the surface going deployment time before going sub-surface, just not the lengthy education.

As an NCM SEP do I not skip my QL3 package?

As it stand right now all NETs need to be QL5 qualified before they can come to submarines.  They do not have to do a surface equipment package after the 5s academics they will go directly to BSQ and subs trades training.  There is talk of doing the LS rank qual on subs after the trade changes over in Sept but I haven't seen anything on that yet or on which billet would be down graded for that spot.  Hope this helps.

Offline squidink

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 10:58:30 »
It does.  Thanks for the help!

Offline wesleyd

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 12:13:20 »
Can anyone out there provide some info on the subject of submarine service?

I've been browsing the forums sections over and over and up and down and it looks like all of an NCMs initial training is completed on a surface vessel.  So, if I were hoping to serve on one of the refurbished subs then how much surface service is required before I can get into the sub-surface service?

Additionally, during your IE will you be asked if you prefer West or East coast or will they ask you specifically about the type of vessel that you'd be interested in working on?  I'd originally thought that the Navy would find you a place where they need you. A choice almost sounded too good to be true ...

I've passed BMQ and am engaging 2 years of Electronics Engineering and I could use some experienced guidance. I'm working with an Army unit (I'm landlocked) while waiting on school to start. My ULO is a former Operator of some sort from the West coast (now Army) and had a totally different entry plan, so I'm not getting much through him.

I'm not used to riding blind because I usually have a plan, but so far so good ...  help?    :piper:  where to go???

squid
Once you get to the fleet school as the Div PO/MS to contact the career manager regarding submarine service. It is constantly changing based on manning requirements. Most trades are LS QL5 minimum standard with the exception of (Mar Eng and Mar El this may have changed as well). Whenever you have your annual career managers interview express your desire to go boats, he will make a note on your file and also give you the most up to date requirments. I spend my first ten years in the navy on the O boats it was the time of my life. Best of luck.

Offline squidink

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 20:31:31 »
No time no check!

Thanks for the tip, wes d!  I do appreciate it and will keep that in mind.

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
Marine Engineer Submarine Service
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 23:26:02 »
I have always been curious in submarine service and was wondering the implications it could have on your career. I have looked around and for a marine engineer it looks as though you only need to be QL3 qualified (http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5003-7-eng.asp). I understand that when you are looking to apply for it you mention it on your QL3 to your CoC. Does becoming a submariner effect your career progression? Do your duties differ much from what you would be doing on a surface ship? Also if at sea would it just be coastal patrol or would it be like the frigates where you can travel around the world? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Sub-normal

• Rate Post
Re: Marine Engineer Submarine Service
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 00:59:41 »
It could slow you down a little bit, since you would have to do a BSQ course and and sail to finish off your bsq ojt along with an AMOC qualification.  However VICTORIA has had a few OS Mar Engs onboard during this RIMPAC deployment and all of them seem to have enjoyed it.  As for the travel VICTORIA has spent the last 2 months in Hawaii and may go farther next year.

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:49 »
Do submariners have a different career progression (in terms of courses besides the BSQ), such as a different QL5 etc. or is it the same as the surface ships after the BSQ? Also if the subs aren't running what do they have you do for training, would you be able to do something like a exchange with a another nation (such as Australia and work on there subs) or is it just sitting around waiting for them to be fixed?

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 12:19:45 »
Do submariners have a different career progression (in terms of courses besides the BSQ), such as a different QL5 etc. or is it the same as the surface ships after the BSQ? Also if the subs aren't running what do they have you do for training, would you be able to do something like a exchange with a another nation (such as Australia and work on there subs) or is it just sitting around waiting for them to be fixed?
Your QL3, 5, 6 and 7 for the MAR ENG (MOSID 00367) trade are generic and were initially Halifax Class centric but individual instructors have varied content to meet the audience requirements while remaining within the confines of QSPs. That said, 'class' courses generally follow QL5 and 6. I am not in the submarine world but did spend MUCH time at MSE Div at CFNES. As for what do you do when boats aren't running (in DWP), if you are seeking a qual, your unit 'should' do everything to AP you to an operational unit (through the PCC of course). That is not always possible though so you may find yourself at the FMF or School or MOG. Make the best of it and use your time wisely. You can still work on a qual (at least some reqs) even if you don't set foot near a sub.
One of the submariners on here can elaborate a little more I am sure.

Pat
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline drunknsubmrnr

• Semper in Excreto
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 12:32:30 »
However VICTORIA has had a few OS Mar Engs onboard during this RIMPAC deployment and all of them seem to have enjoyed it.

Wow...qualification has changed. A lot.  :o

Offline Shipwreck

• Rate Post
  • Don't believe everything you read.
Submarine questions
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 21:45:40 »
Yo, I was wondering a few things about submarine service. If I'm a Navcomm and try to get posted on a submarine after my 3's, is there much chance of that happening, or are the east coast submarines pretty well crewed? If I do get posted to them, have they even started going out regularly or are they still in drydock? As well, how would my QL4 package be completed? Would I still have to go on heavies to get that signed off? As well any insight as to what it's like on Basic Submarine Qualification and submarine Navcomms would be appreciated. I couldn't find much on these forums.
N/A

Offline Sub-normal

• Rate Post
Re: Submarine questions
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 12:28:59 »
Yo, I was wondering a few things about submarine service. If I'm a Navcomm and try to get posted on a submarine after my 3's, is there much chance of that happening, or are the east coast submarines pretty well crewed? If I do get posted to them, have they even started going out regularly or are they still in drydock? As well, how would my QL4 package be completed? Would I still have to go on heavies to get that signed off? As well any insight as to what it's like on Basic Submarine Qualification and submarine Navcomms would be appreciated. I couldn't find much on these forums.

I am not completely certain but I believe NavComs still need to be QL5 qualified before they come to subs.  As to what the boats are doing WINDSOR is currently the only boat on the east coast right now and she is getting ready for her camber dive and trial right now.  VICTORIA just got back from sea this week and will continue sailing a lot more next year. They are also in the process of trying to crew up CHICOUTIMI right now as well.

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 12:46:47 »
You might want to pose the question under the NavCom sub heading in the Naval Trades thread and recommend too, you dispense with 'Yo' as an address. You could have left the word out and some may have given you direct answers already but I know for me, I ignored your question initially because of it.
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline Shipwreck

• Rate Post
  • Don't believe everything you read.
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 14:53:13 »
Meh, if a greeting gives someone that amount of disdain for me, I'm probably not interested in speaking with them either.
N/A

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 14:59:14 »
 :pop:
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats