Author Topic: Steward: Training/the work (merged)  (Read 78908 times)

Offline Rhibwolf

• Rate Post
Re: New to the Navy
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 01:33:53 »
As the first few answers to the original question point out, the trade is quite diverse. At the lower ranks one can expect a lot of sea time, and while at sea, to prepare meals, conduct VIP functions, general Wardroom husbandry, and take care of the ship's officers and CO. As one progresses, normally QL5 Qualified, duties tend to become double hatted in the Wardroom as well as taking care of the bar imprest.  On promotion to MS, more money stuff, leading the team in the Wardroom, and better jobs ashore running messes.  At the Sr NCO level its all about the money, and leading the team in the conduct of its duties.
Additionally, as a member of the ship's company, you can expect to do a myriad of things as part of the Watch and Station Bill, from participating in Man Over Boards, to Casualty Clearing. In fact, all Stwds are well trained in First Aid, and many have advanced quals and even instructor quals. 
Off the ship, there are a few postings to bases inland in training positions as well as running the various messes on base. 
Flight Stwd is a heavily competed for position, and very difficult to get in to, but can be rewarding.
Either advance, trusting to God to die on a just cause, sword in hand, or remain quiet and be kicked out of your kingdom. ---Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson to the King of Naples

Offline jebo

• Rate Post
  • have you ever seen a bear , wearin' underwear?
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 20:00:41 »
awesome! thank you very much.. im guesing submariner/stwd is difficult too ..

how does one go about becoming a flght/stwd?

Offline Melbatoast

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 15:08:17 »
awesome! thank you very much.. im guesing submariner/stwd is difficult too ..

how does one go about becoming a flght/stwd?

You've got to be (well, on paper) QL5 qualified and a Leading Seaman (CPL) to go to submarines.  I don't know how it will be in four or five years when you're at that stage, but if you were at that level right now you'd be snapped up immediately.  They're running a basic sub course right now with only six people, and they're so desperate for bodies that the entire QL5A Sonar course in house right now got screening/course loading messages for submarines, something that hasn't happened in 15 years or so.

I imagine flight steward has the same rank and QL requirement.

Offline jebo

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 16:19:50 »
Wow , Im suprised more people dont want to go on a Sub. Lol...  It really interest me , so I cant wait til I get to that level!

Thank you!

Offline Rhibwolf

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 01:53:56 »
Flt Stwd is something you apply for once you are in the trade.  You have to go through a formal screening process, complete with BPSO referrals, interviews, Air Crew Medicals, etc. THEN, you have to be picked up and loaded on the course. Very competitive, very selective, very hard to get, and from everyone I know who has done it, very rewarding.
Either advance, trusting to God to die on a just cause, sword in hand, or remain quiet and be kicked out of your kingdom. ---Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson to the King of Naples

Offline N. McKay

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2006, 09:50:08 »
Flt Stwd is something you apply for once you are in the trade.  You have to go through a formal screening process, complete with BPSO referrals, interviews, Air Crew Medicals, etc. THEN, you have to be picked up and loaded on the course. Very competitive, very selective, very hard to get, and from everyone I know who has done it, very rewarding.

I wonder what in particular people find appealing about it?

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2006, 12:26:53 »
a break from your trade and the travel, would be a highlight for me. I would not find FLT Steward appealing to me. But I heard its a blast!!

Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

Offline Rhibwolf

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2006, 14:28:25 »
Neill, TD, Airforce style, and lots of it!! What more does one need?

Offline jebo

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 16:34:05 »
Awesome.. 

Ever since I knew I was going stwd , the first thing I thought of was eventually going Flt Stwd. Im going to hopefully pursue that and try my best to eventually do it. Im excited about the job period.. I thought I was going infantry ( which I am still abit upset about haha ). But , I think it takes the right person .. so hopefully some day ill be a flt stwd.

Offline Melbatoast

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 17:59:10 »
Wow , Im suprised more people dont want to go on a Sub. Lol...  It really interest me , so I cant wait til I get to that level!

Thank you!

Well, the fact that they rarely go to sea (only one is able, the others are years away - Chicoutimi in 2012) is a big downer for a lot of guys.  The perception that they are unsafe is another one.  The rumor now is that pay for submariner Leading Seaman will approach $95,000 per year due to a big "at sea" allowance, kinda like army guys get field pay.  The catch being that you have to sail, and that ain't going to happen much.  So, you put in a whole shitload of work to become submarine qualified, rarely use it, don't do anything to merit promotion, eventually get rotated back into the surface fleet where you will be well behind in professional development compared to your peers who have gone through the very surface-oriented continuation training scheme, and attempt to catch up.  Probably not so bad for a steward, but it's essentially career death for an operator.

Also, for others reading the thread, DMTE is apparently saying that ALL Sonar Operator Leading and Master Seamen will screen for submarine service.  Other ops trades I imagine will follow suit.  Yee haw.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2006, 18:16:49 »
Also, for others reading the thread, DMTE is apparently saying that ALL Sonar Operator Leading and Master Seamen will screen for submarine service.  Other ops trades I imagine will follow suit.  Yee haw.

Apparently already started for NCI-OPs as well...
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

aesop081

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2006, 18:18:20 »
Apparently already started for NCI-OPs as well...

Ex-D...hurry up and go to subs so i can hunt you down and ping the crap out of you  ;D

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2006, 18:23:44 »
Ex-D...hurry up and go to subs so i can hunt you down and ping the crap out of you  ;D

*snicker* well if you were hunting my sub I would not have too much to worry about... ;)
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline Navy_Blue

• Rate Post
  • Dolphin Code "32"
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2006, 19:18:20 »
Screening all ET's on QL5 course now only six of us left now so there isn't going to be much to choose from

:cdn:
Kirk: "do you always estimate your repair times by a factor of four?" Scotty: "Aye sir how do you think I keep my reputation as a miracle worker."

Offline jebo

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2006, 01:22:01 »
Huh , well.. that sucks? I still want to though :)

Can anyone go into detail about the QL2 .. and im guessing everyone has to take the naval training. Im still really lost about the Navy , wasnt raised around it , so if someone could ad a little tid bit on that.. thatd be superb.

jesso

Offline Melbatoast

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2006, 13:28:23 »
Huh , well.. that sucks? I still want to though :)

Can anyone go into detail about the QL2 .. and im guessing everyone has to take the naval training. Im still really lost about the Navy , wasnt raised around it , so if someone could ad a little tid bit on that.. thatd be superb.

jesso

I'm going to guess that you mean reg force, in which case the initial traingin would be:

1.  Basic military training, 10 or 13 weeks or whatever it is now, probably in St. Jean, Quebec

2.  On to your QL3 training, which is basic trades training.  It's not very long for stewards, on the order of seven weeks or something.  Stewards train in Borden if I recall correctly.

3.  Stewards seem to get their first posting to one of the accomodation buildings on either the east or west coast.  You're there for a few months for on the job training, then get loaded on a Naval Environmental Training Plan (NETP) course, which I do believe is seven weeks long.  You get very basic instruction on how stuff works on the ship, linehandling, small arms, sea survival, naval firefighting and damage control, and so on.  Then you go to a ship for a good portion of your career, although I don't know what the steward career arc loks like from there.  Once on the ship you'll do a consolidation package for your NETP course, which has to be signed off by various people after you demonstrate some practical knowledge of task (helmsman, lookout, engineering roundsman, etc).  Presumably you also do a QL4 package, which is generally a practical version of your QL3.

4.  After a couple/few years, you do a QL5, which is advanced trades training.  Then other posting opportunities open up.

Offline M Feetham

• Feet
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2006, 19:31:16 »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your eyesight is so bad that you only qualified for three trades, then you most likely will not be acceptable as a Flt steward. In order to qualify to fly as a member of any aircrew you have to pass the aircrew medical(it is pretty much the same as the diver medical.) This would include a vision test. I am not sure of the exact requirements cause I don't have CFAO's at home, but I believe the minimum vision req, is a v2. Basically if you can't see without your glasses, you aren't eligible. I will check CFAO's tomorrow at work and confirm what I said for you.
Take care
Feet :cdn:
P.S. Everyone knows that we only rent out the rest of the ops room to the NES OPs and the SONAR OPs. We keep the good real estate for ourselves and we don't stand upper deck watches.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun"

Army of Darkness

aesop081

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2006, 19:33:01 »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your eyesight is so bad that you only qualified for three trades, then you most likely will not be acceptable as a Flt steward. In order to qualify to fly as a member of any aircrew you have to pass the aircrew medical(it is pretty much the same as the diver medical.) This would include a vision test. I am not sure of the exact requirements cause I don't have CFAO's at home, but I believe the minimum vision req, is a v2. Basically if you can't see without your glasses, you aren't eligible. I will check CFAO's tomorrow at work and confirm what I said for you.
Take care
Feet :cdn:
P.S. Everyone knows that we only rent out the rest of the ops room to the NES OPs and the SONAR OPs. We keep the good real estate for ourselves and we don't stand upper deck watches.

V3 for aircrew other than pilot.......(at least in my MOC)

Offline jebo

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2006, 00:21:17 »
Is this confirmed?

Breakin' my little heart guys , breakin my little heart!

And thanks for the info on how it will all work ( after BMQ ). I thought I had to do some sort fo a QL2 afterwards. Not what I expected , I thought I would be going on ship asap . Ahh the things recruiters tell you to go into certain trades! :( Ha ha.

Offline Melbatoast

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2006, 16:25:54 »
V3 for aircrew other than pilot.......(at least in my MOC)

To be a little pedantic:
V3 unrestricted for all but ANAV, which is V3 restricted (-2 sphere, if memory serves.  It's on the DRDC site anyway).  Pilot has a bunch of quid pro quo and caveats and whatever, but all apply to currently or previously serving pilots so aren't of concern (down to V4 if I recall correctly!).

gijesso, I would seriously look into laser vision correction, here.  It doesn't disqualify you from anything outside of Pilot, and it would open up a whole wide world of trades.

Offline jebo

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 00:05:40 »
Very true. Will do , Doc says my eyes are a perfect candidate for it , finally something my eyes qualify for! haha

Offline jebo

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2006, 08:34:05 »
Buahahaha. Yeah , I know! Can I buy an eye patch anyways? haha!

Yes I know you have to be trained I just want to know what the training is about.. and considering you know so much about it you should inform me haha  ;D

Offline jebo

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2006, 16:32:22 »
Update:

Leave for BMQ August 26 , course starts the 28th

PRETC/ Pat whatever you want to call it , Borden , 3 weeks , Nov 10th

Home for leave

Back to 'er for QL3 in Borden

Then apparently going to Esquimalt for NETP ..

Still researching NETP , anyone have any good advice for this course?

Thanks!

JESSO

Offline RowdyBowdy

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 16:46:04 »
Update:

Leave for BMQ August 26 , course starts the 28th

PRETC/ Pat whatever you want to call it , Borden , 3 weeks , Nov 10th

Home for leave

Back to 'er for QL3 in Borden

Then apparently going to Esquimalt for NETP ..

Still researching NETP , anyone have any good advice for this course?

Thanks!

JESSO

Drink lots of coffee to avoid falling asleep from all the powerpoint, enjoy the damage control school, and keep your dress and deportment to a very high standard as the chiefs who run the Seamanship division are very pusser and the PLQ students who take their classes there are ready to pick you up on anything.  ;D
Adherence to the Prescribed Procedures is MANDATORY.

Offline jebo

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2006, 18:06:07 »
Awesome , good to know!

Thanks