Author Topic: Body Piercings  (Read 17762 times)

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Body Piercings
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 18:25:00 »
Here is where one may find a copy of that paper:
http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Cerebellar_Brain_Abscess_Associated_with_Tongue_Piercing.pdf
There are several other accounts; a google search of 'tongue piercing and brain abscess' will bring up many.
Cheers,

Thanks! It was......ummm....enlightening!!

"On the second day after the procedure, the patient noted increasing pain, swelling, and the development of a purulent, ill-tasting discharge from the piercing site."
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline S.Stewart

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 18:35:55 »
So as far as piercings go I have had the following...

Left Eyebrow, 3 in each upper ear, my earlobes, mid-ear and the back of my neck pierced twice. I personally had no problem getting them, taking them in and out was a different story. The only one's I have left are my earlobes.

I am definately considering having my eyebrow redone as well as the back/nape of my neck, but we will see.
S.Stewart
"Here is to us and those like us, there are damn few of us left"

Offline PMT 9D

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 23:44:04 »
So as far as piercings go I have had the following...

Left Eyebrow, 3 in each upper ear, my earlobes, mid-ear and the back of my neck pierced twice.

WHAT!?! I've often said I have seen everything... but apparently not....
Really... the BACK of your neck... really?

Pictures?
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid

Offline aaronrogers

• Rate Post
  • Sometimes things just go wrong.
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 23:55:21 »
WHAT!?! I've often said I have seen everything... but apparently not....
Really... the BACK of your neck... really?

Pictures?

Yeah its kind of a weird piercing.
By the way its not me in the picture, its just from google.

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2007, 00:09:54 »
I gotta ask.  WHY?
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline S.Stewart

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2007, 00:43:14 »
The whole piercing the back of the neck is not a matter why?, but why NOT. I'm a big fan of tats and piercings. My studs in my neck i will post a picture if i have one kicking around were vertical down the nape.

I also have dark purple/plum hair if that tells you anything.
S.Stewart

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2007, 00:57:30 »
The whole piercing the back of the neck is not a matter why?, but why NOT. I'm a big fan of tats and piercings. My studs in my neck i will post a picture if i have one kicking around were vertical down the nape.

I also have dark purple/plum hair if that tells you anything.

I suppose.

In my youth we had long hair, and muttonchops.  And when someone asked "Why", our answer was also "Why Not?"  (We also wore bell bottom jeans, and tie-dyed t-shirts).

It is, I guess, the fashion - and fashion follows no logic.

On the OTHER hand, once you became tired of long hair (and my hair was down to my ***), you could cut it off, and be no worse for wear - piercings (and tat's), on the other hand, are potentially dangerous, and in the case of tat's, can't be easily shucked off.

Have fun - and be safe - take the appliances out before doing anything physical, when you're tired of them, the holes will grow over - no harm done.

I'm just a FOG trying to understand - I don't have anything against the practice (other than the safety considerations), I just can't wrap my mind around it - that's what makes me a FOG, I guess!

Roy

Linus van Pelt

Offline beach_bum

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2007, 02:08:26 »
I dated a guy with a pierced tongue..... >:D  but that's another story....hehehehe
Eddie would go!

Offline S.Stewart

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 16:02:43 »
I wouldnt call my tats, piercings, or hair colour a matter of fashion. My hair has been the same colour for about 4 years now, and my tats werent exactly done by impluse, considering tattoos to get them done properly and what you want, generally can be a large money investment.

But granted I have seen some impluse tattoos, done at a quick desicion by a not so great artist, and those are the kinds of things that one later regrets.

S.Stewart

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 16:07:28 »
I wouldnt call my tats, piercings, or hair colour a matter of fashion. My hair has been the same colour for about 4 years now, and my tats werent exactly done by impluse, considering tattoos to get them done properly and what you want, generally can be a large money investment.

But granted I have seen some impluse tattoos, done at a quick desicion by a not so great artist, and those are the kinds of things that one later regrets.

B.S.

You are altering your body in some manner (ink, dye, or holes in it) either to draw attention to yourself, or to fit in with your peer group.

That's fashion.

I have nothing AGAINST fashion - I'm just not sure that self mutilation is a wise way to go about it.

Roy

Linus van Pelt

Offline S.Stewart

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 16:15:39 »
I beg to differ, for the pure fact that I believe tattoos are a very personal thing, actually mine arent visable, and I do not wear clothing to make them so. As far as my piercings they are non existant at the moment, and I consider them to be more self expression then fashion. But your right piercing very much can be see that way.

My hair colour well thats a long story why its the way it is, but it doesnt look out of place, when its up it just looks like its a deep burgandy in colour, its when its down that you can see they actual colour, so work wise and professional wise I have had no issues, with my tats, piercings or hair colour.

But as with anything, different generations have different opinions on things.
S.Stewart

Offline ivan the tolerable

• Hooray! I'm useful!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2007, 16:18:09 »
B.S.

You are altering your body in some manner (ink, dye, or holes in it) either to draw attention to yourself, or to fit in with your peer group.

That's fashion.

I have nothing AGAINST fashion - I'm just not sure that self mutilation is a wise way to go about it.

Roy

It's not always to draw attention.  There are a lot of tattoos that are not generally visible.  Where's the attention drawing in that?  Peer group?  Maybe, but then the things that are under clothing still wouldn't apply.

Mutilation?  Strong language for a subjective topic.  Female circumcision is mutilation.  Some might consider male circumcision the same, some might not.  Very few consider pierced ears (esp. on a female) to be mutilation.  The difference between mutilation and beautification is cultural and subjective.

But, I might be wrong...
Summary of my service career:  Too much of a poof for JTF2.  Too lazy for CSOR.  Not energetic or bright enough to do anything vaguely glamorous.  But I was never too scared to ask the fat chicks if they wanted to dance!

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2007, 16:24:46 »
Piercing of genitalia might be considered such I think. My Operating Room Nurse wife says that there is a pretty good chance that you could damage nerve endings down there permanently which always makes me wonder what the point is of that particular manoeuvre considering that most folks think it's going to improve their wedding tackle in some fashion.

Offline ivan the tolerable

• Hooray! I'm useful!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2007, 16:47:36 »
IHS, certainly!

I never said I thought it was all smart, or a good idea.  I'm just not sold on the idea of using a wide paint brush to characterize it all as attention seeking mutilation was right either.

Actually, padre, did you know that the Coptics have long (ancient, actually) traditions of getting crosses tattooed on themselves as a way of distinguishing themselves from their arabic/muslim neighbours?  In my neck of the woods, it's a beginning to be a bit of a trend amongst the Chalcedonion Orthodox to get similar tattoos now.  Weird, eh?

My apologies Roy, I didn't intend to be completely contrary to what you wrote, but looking back, I think it can be read that way.  I was just hoping to look at it from a different perspective, not to be confrontational.

Summary of my service career:  Too much of a poof for JTF2.  Too lazy for CSOR.  Not energetic or bright enough to do anything vaguely glamorous.  But I was never too scared to ask the fat chicks if they wanted to dance!

Offline Pharaoh

• 1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila floor
  • Rate Post
  • Yeah!
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2007, 16:50:50 »
I had my eyebrow pierced, and I also had a vertical lip piercing. I took both out before I handed in my forms for the military. They've been out of my body for roughly 8 1/2 - 9 months and I'm totally happy I did it. I look back on pictures and wondered why I found them so cool! I liked them, but I'm glad they're out.

Oh, also, I have a gaping hole above my eyebrow now.. and another hole below my lip.. the only hole that healed was the one on the inside of my lip.

Offline D Squared

is back.

• Rate Post
  • CF Cheerleader
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 17:03:45 »
Nova, I'm with you.  I had a stud on the side of my nostril which I removed during the whole recruitment process.  My boyfriend at the time told me it was the ugliest thing on my face (which I think was a compliment, no?).  In any event, I didn't make it into the CF but there's no way that sucker's going back in.  Why indeed.
Yesterday I was a dog.  Today I'm a dog.  Tomorrow I'll propbably be a dog.  Sigh!  There's so little chance for advancement. --Snoopy.

Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight. --Bruce Cockburn

Catch your dreams before they slip away.  --The Rolling Stones

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 17:05:12 »
I had my eyebrow pierced, and I also had a vertical lip piercing.

Had to check your profile on that one - I wasn't sure if you meant a vertical piercing on your lip, or a piercing on your vertical lip.

Not everybody on this site has a clean mind.

Offline Rick Ruter

• Rick Ruter! Get it???
  • Rate Post
  • Griffon over iceberg off coast of NL
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2007, 17:31:09 »
Some new guys and galls actually walk in the CFRC the day of their enrolment with metal all over their face. This is not ''Rotten Ronies'' or BK folks.

I must admit though that it is pretty entertaining seeing your coworkers in a social setting with all the accoutrement on when you are not aware of their fashion taste. I have hippies and goth subordinates and colleagues. It's like having a split personality. :clown:
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Offline Rowshambow

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2007, 17:34:57 »
There is an RCD over seas right now with the Strats that has HUGE holes in his ears, from those big o-rings (or whatever you crazy kids are calling them) so I would think that, could be seen as "mutilation" as it started out as a piercing and now is a mutilated ear!
Let's play hide and go f^*k yourself...I'll go hide!

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2007, 17:35:47 »
Hmmm,

I've got a few tattoos (arm, lower back, right tummy/hip). My nose is pierced, my belly-button is too. Very early 90s; long before it became fasionable to do so.

I thought about them all; I regret none.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Jaydub

• SAAC-S
  • Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2007, 18:36:15 »
I've had my nipple pierced.  Not a very pleasant experience.

Offline Pharaoh

• 1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila floor
  • Rate Post
  • Yeah!
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 21:26:44 »
There is an RCD over seas right now with the Strats that has HUGE holes in his ears, from those big o-rings (or whatever you crazy kids are calling them) so I would think that, could be seen as "mutilation" as it started out as a piercing and now is a mutilated ear!

they're called plugs.

DIDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its me, brett!!! (i have you on facebook incase you cannot remember!) lol. How are you?

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 23:20:06 »
It's Friday night.....I just got back from the Mess...I'm reading all this stuff....not feeling particularly politically correct....(know what I'm saying?)... and I'm thinking...OUCH!!!...why the H..l would you do any of that stuff??

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2007, 23:46:58 »
It's Friday night.....I just got back from the Mess...I'm reading all this stuff....not feeling particularly politically correct....(know what I'm saying?)... and I'm thinking...OUCH!!!...why the H..l would you do any of that stuff??

Heheh...

I've got tats, but I may be a hippocrite as in I would never get a piercing.

And the whole PA one...way I see it....anything that might affect your efficiency in peeing...not worth it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 00:04:14 by Sig_Des »
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2007, 13:48:22 »
OK - I've read this thread through - a couple of points.

Mutilation:

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.  2000.

mutilate

SYLLABICATION:   mu·ti·late
PRONUNCIATION:     mytl-t
TRANSITIVE VERB:   Inflected forms: mu·ti·lat·ed, mu·ti·lat·ing, mu·ti·lates
1. To deprive of a limb or an essential part; cripple. 2. To disfigure by damaging irreparably: mutilate a statue. See synonyms at batter1. 3. To make imperfect by excising or altering parts.
ETYMOLOGY:   Latin mutilre, mutilt-, from mutilus, maimed.
OTHER FORMS:   muti·lation —NOUN
muti·lative —ADJECTIVE
muti·lator —NOUN

It is rather a strong word for the practice under discussion, I agree - but body piercing does fit the definition.

Aside from some thoughts and observations regarding how much good tats cost, and how much consideration some have given to their various piercings/tats - no one has answered my original question - WHY?

Fashion is one theory I advanced - but this was dismissed.

No one has brought up cultural norms, but I get the feeling this probably doesn't fit the majority of posters here.

So the question remains - why?

Linus van Pelt