Author Topic: Wearing of "team/roto" patches overseas.  (Read 9618 times)

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
Wearing of "team/roto" patches overseas.
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:47:21 »
I've submitted an memo up my chain to allow members of my unit going over on roto to design and wear a "team/roto" patch on our arid combats overseas. Everyone up to my troop commander loves the idea, however they want "prior art" of this being acceptable before taking it to the CO...

Have purused combat camera and it seems that most of the PRT teams are getting in-country made patches and wearing them, however other than that I can't seem to find any Canadian examples.

If anyone has gone through this process before, or has examples of previous endeavours, It would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Retired EW 291

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Wearing of "team/roto" patches overseas.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:18:50 »
I saw no such thing on my tour.  You may be seeing the ISAF patch when you go through Combat Camera.

Offline Crossfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:42:54 »
There were all kinds of patches on Roto 3 in addition to the ISAF one.  I was at the PRT, and we had a patch.  Lets see...The medics had a "starlight" patch, JPCC had a patch, the UAV guys had a patch, the MPs had a patch.  I think the ASIC guys had one too.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:54:12 »
CFP 265.  Canadian Forces Dress Instructions.  Might be a place to start.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline lou-reed

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 12:06:05 »
I was on R3.  Most units, and sub-units had patches made.  However, they were not officially authorized to wear them- although they often did.  I do beleive that only the ISAF, PRT, TCCC, and Starlight patches were authorized. 

Making unit coins was a popular venture.  I know ASIC, C-IED, EOD had coins made.   

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 13:03:35 »
I should clarify, I did see a few patches appear unofficially.  These were quickly chased away by the CO who wanted everyone to see themsleves as being of the same team.  (I think his words were to the effect of avoiding tribes)

From a tactical perspective, does it make sense to start making individual soldiers recognizable to the enemy for thier function/capability?

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 13:04:09 »
CFP 265.  Canadian Forces Dress Instructions.  Might be a place to start.

Thanks, found two applicable sections - doesn't look like there are any roadblocks in there.
Retired EW 291

Offline Breacher41

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 13:44:10 »
This is my own personal opinion. I think the wearing of appropriate 'team', 'roto' or 'morale' patches is a good thing for the soldiers overseas. Our American counterparts have been doing that for quite a while now on their uniforms. An examples that we can adopt is the Team Canada patches, I don't know I just think the use of appropriate morale patches would boost well... morale!
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline Kendrick

• Weekend Warrior
  • Rate Post
  • Nulli Secundus
    • My MSN Space
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 13:53:48 »
Being on the PRT myself, all we get is the generic PRT patch with the Afghan/Canadian flags pin.  But I did see some sub units around having their own patches made.  Saw this cool one with the Autobots sign.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato

MG34

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 14:14:46 »
This is my own personal opinion. I think the wearing of appropriate 'team', 'roto' or 'morale' patches is a good thing for the soldiers overseas. Our American counterparts have been doing that for quite a while now on their uniforms. An examples that we can adopt is the Team Canada patches, I don't know I just think the use of appropriate morale patches would boost well... morale!

AS the designer and owner of the Team Canada design I say nope bad idea,the only organization with rights to it's use is One Shot Tactical Supply, period full stop, despite this fact it has already been copied without permiion. If anyone is selling/making money from this including CF units (tour T shirts, atches, etc) they are breaking the law.

Offline Breacher41

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 14:16:17 »
AS the designer and owner of the Team Canada design I say nope bad idea,the only organization with rights to it's use is One Shot Tactical Supply, period full stop, despite this fact it has already been copied without permiion. If anyone is selling/making money from this including CF units (tour T shirts, atches, etc) they are breaking the law.

What I mean MG was that they purchase it from OTS and wear it on their uniform. That's all I meant. Like I said it was a personal opinion nothing else. Btw, nice design I like it :D I've got a few.
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline --NES--

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 14:16:49 »
I should clarify, I did see a few patches appear unofficially.  These were quickly chased away by the CO who wanted everyone to see themsleves as being of the same team.  (I think his words were to the effect of avoiding tribes)

Heh... We (8 Pl, C Coy, 1 RCR) had 8 ball patches with "crazy 8s" stitched on it.   I wasn't there long enough to get mine in theater, but the boys wore them into battle a few times, and they were told to remove them a few times... but they always had them on, officially or not.

I don't see it as a really bad idea, but I can see it getting out of control.   When it gets down to Sections and individuals, it's gone too far.

Please delete this account

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 14:28:20 »

How did that happen?  I thought the CF usually grabbed property rights on approved stuff?

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 15:18:43 »
Unit patches on tours are common and authorised for Australian Forces. We starting wearing ours on our lead-up trg, and all thru the tour, plus back home after the tour until we were SOS'd from our O/S Unit.

Here was mine, along with the Australian ANF DPDU patch, whcih is worn on the other sleve, both at home and abroad. The ANF patch also comes with a DPCU background also, and is worn all the time.

Here is both my old O/S Unit, and ANF patch in DPDU. Both patches are the same size, adn the 7.62mm drill rd is for scale.

EDIT: I have also attached an unauthorised patch for my Corps of RAEME, this is the sme size also. We were wearing this until the RSM seen it, and it was history (for now).

Cheers,

Wes

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 15:42:12 by Wesley Down Under »
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline X-mo-1979

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 18:09:50 »
"Crazy 8's" is what I seen on the cbc documentary.I've seen section level signs painted on vehicles as well.

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 22:53:23 »
How did that happen?  I thought the CF usually grabbed property rights on approved stuff?

That makes no sense.  It's his IP developed on his own time and for his own purposes.

Back to the point at hand: good to see some progress is being made.  I've found stuff like that to be espirit de corps and team building.

Offline DirtyDog

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 22:59:28 »

really, eh?  I didn't know.....

Incedently I got me one of those hats from OSTS.  Nice hat.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 23:49:51 »
...From a tactical perspective, does it make sense to start making individual soldiers recognizable to the enemy for thier function/capability?

I think the way the guy is kitted out and conducted himself would be more of an indicator than a patch...you know, Tac Vest or chest rig with mags, frags, M203s, drop pouches, good barrel discipline, etc... 

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 02:05:36 »
The patches adn name tags come off for when its time to play sterile.

Plus it started a 'trade' war with other Coalition units, so bad we ran out of Australian made patches, and ahd to go local to source them.

Ha!

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 17:33:06 »
Thanks everyone for the thoughts/comments. Especially the Aussie items, very cool.
Retired EW 291

Offline DesertVengeance

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 18:13:28 »
I found that most US combat units had patches out the wazoo.  I think my favourite was an OEF patch for 'Team America World Police' with a big mean looking eagle head.  I thought about designing a patch for our unit... but the logistics of it just wasn't something i wanted to deal with right now.  However in my ebay huntings I found a disgusting number of patches that would make pretty cool unit type items.  I'd suggest having a look on ebay for ideas if you're out of your own.  There's patches that can be bulk bought... or just simple symbols that you could adapt and turn into your own.  I mean i'm in Weapons Det and our call sign is 33 Whiskey so we all got Jack Daniels patches.  Nothing super creative.  But I like it.  I think my favourites though are the 'fun'/'suck' meter patches. 
When I believe in something I fight like hell for it. -- Steve McQueen

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit their violence on those who would do us harm. -- George Orwell

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 14:29:12 »
I think the way the guy is kitted out and conducted himself would be more of an indicator than a patch...you know, Tac Vest or chest rig with mags, frags, M203s, drop pouches, good barrel discipline, etc... 
and what of functions beyond just being a rifleman or being a cook?  Troop movements, rotations, and intentions can be given away if a recce party can be identified as being a specific BG rifle company, the PRT FP Coy, Combat Engineers, etc.  Yes, equipment does do a lot to give a way who a soldier is.  However, not every combat engineer carries a metal detector & individual weapons are the same as infantry (C7, LMG, M203, etc).  This means it is possible for unusual concentrations of other occupations may go unnoticed if they are not advertising themselves.

aesop081

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 02:25:13 »
When we go flying operational, all badges come off.....

Theres a reason for that folks

Offline X-mo-1979

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 07:28:47 »
Just a quick question regarding the last post.For infantry units/front line combat arms why do we take off identification?Ive been told to remove my name,rank,and canadian flag on a recce patrol.Then told what to say if captured....the information that I had taken off.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 09:14:31 »
Just a quick question regarding the last post.For infantry units/front line combat arms why do we take off identification?Ive been told to remove my name,rank,and canadian flag on a recce patrol.Then told what to say if captured....the information that I had taken off.

You aren't supposed to go out and get captured, but if you do, you give them the requisite information.  If you are not captured, only observed or perhaps KIA, then you have no identifying markings to let the enemy know who you are and who you are with.  Simple enough explanation?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.