Author Topic: Comm Research  (Read 180449 times)

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Comm Research
« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2019, 10:50:43 »
....no windows inside a steel box....
A Ship?
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #351 on: February 04, 2019, 12:08:30 »
A Ship?
If you're one of the 6 or so folks in the whole trade that get a ship posting, otherwise the steel box is stuck in Letrim.

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #352 on: February 04, 2019, 12:14:27 »
 ;)
If you're one of the 6 or so folks in the whole trade that get a ship posting, otherwise the steel box is stuck in Letrim.

And also 21 ELectronic Warfare Regiment in Kingston. Sometimes the steel box has 8 wheels (the EW Bison).

Offline DetectiveMcNulty

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #353 on: February 16, 2019, 21:07:34 »
Bisons are death traps. Go light or stay home.

Offline TimneyTime

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #354 on: March 22, 2019, 09:10:59 »
If you want a desk in an office with no windows inside a steel box, pick Comms Rsch. If you want a desk with the possibility of windows, pick HRA/FSA.

I feel this isn't really a fair assessment, as once you get your LS/Cpl Spec I, the opportunities in Comms Rsch become WAY better.

Online 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #355 on: March 22, 2019, 09:39:34 »
I feel this isn't really a fair assessment, as once you get your LS/Cpl Spec I, the opportunities in Comms Rsch become WAY better.

How?  LS/Cpl have the same posting opportunities as a OS/Pte/Avr.  I don't believe there are any differences until you hit MCpl/MS when you might get to CFSCE, where you work in an (almost) windowless building.

(I am not Comm Rsch but know and have worked with quite a few)
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
« Reply #356 on: March 22, 2019, 11:01:39 »
There are plenty of opportunities in the Comm Rsch world for people of every type. Like sitting in a windowless office environment? Go for a posting to Leitrim. Like working in a field environment, with all the benefits that entails? Go for a posting to the EW Regiment in Kingston.

I personally was not wowed with Leitrim when I graduated from my QL3 course after two years (security clearance holdup). But I stuck it out, found aspects of it to enjoy and when I graduated from my QL5 course was able to latch onto a posting to Kingston. Being more of a field-oriented person, and coming from a signals operator background it was a much better fit for me and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Regiment and continue to look back on it fondly.

Retired EW 291

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #357 on: March 22, 2019, 11:25:23 »
There are plenty of opportunities in the Comm Rsch world for people of every type. Like sitting in a windowless office environment? Go for a posting to Leitrim. Like working in a field environment, with all the benefits that entails? Go for a posting to the EW Regiment in Kingston.

Leitrim or the EW Regt = plenty of opportunities? 

8)
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline TimneyTime

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2019, 15:26:34 »
How?  LS/Cpl have the same posting opportunities as a OS/Pte/Avr.  I don't believe there are any differences until you hit MCpl/MS when you might get to CFSCE, where you work in an (almost) windowless building.

(I am not Comm Rsch but know and have worked with quite a few)

I wasn't assuming, or blowing hot air.  I was speaking factually, and with certainty.

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
« Reply #359 on: March 25, 2019, 16:12:28 »
Leitrim or the EW Regt = plenty of opportunities? 

8)

There are a myriad of different jobs in Leitrim, and many more in Kingston. My point was that there is something for everyone depending on if you like a field environment or an office type environment.
Retired EW 291

Offline TimneyTime

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #360 on: March 25, 2019, 17:17:46 »
just a bit of an update, morse is needed but not everyone will require it from what i've been told it's going to be taught in house for certain people that are on shifts

If you know anything about programmatically manipulating fourier transforms, morse code becomes a thing computers should do (and there's an app for that)

Offline TimneyTime

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #361 on: March 26, 2019, 09:41:53 »
There are a myriad of different jobs in Leitrim, and many more in Kingston. My point was that there is something for everyone depending on if you like a field environment or an office type environment.

My point was that Leitrim and Kingston aren't the only options.  In fact, the first thing they do when the options become available is ask you your posting preferences, and there's a laundry list of places available.  If you wanted to, you could travel to all kinds of exotic places.

Offline DetectiveMcNulty

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #362 on: March 26, 2019, 10:08:21 »
I think you are being a little misleading. You could also spend years rotting on shift or in a troop room with the most exotic places you visit being Wainwright or a Shawarma place.

Offline TimneyTime

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #363 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:06 »
I think you are being a little misleading. You could also spend years rotting on shift or in a troop room with the most exotic places you visit being Wainwright or a Shawarma place.

That's true of any trade.  There's always a good variety of "punishment" postings available everywhere, and the CF loves shoving people in boxes they don't fit in, but you know... that's all part of playing the game.

Offline DetectiveMcNulty

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #364 on: March 26, 2019, 10:36:35 »
That's true of any trade.  There's always a good variety of "punishment" postings available everywhere, and the CF loves shoving people in boxes they don't fit in, but you know... that's all part of playing the game.

No wonder that so many with the real technical skills move onto higher paying, less BS jobs in the government realm. Games are for children.

Offline TimneyTime

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #365 on: March 26, 2019, 11:12:27 »
No wonder that so many with the real technical skills move onto higher paying, less BS jobs in the government realm. Games are for children.

If you thought you escaped the game by moving to a government position, you are gravely mistaken.  It's less BS in some ways, but more BS in other ways.  I think everyone knows the pitfalls associated with government jobs, so I'm not going to even touch that subject.  Most of the people I know that have gone this route become soulless drones that hate their lives, and take up heavy drinking to self medicate.

If you want to get to the point where you're experienced enough to move on to a higher paying job in the government realm, you'll still need to learn to play the game properly, unfortunately.

You could always just go to University and forget about the military, but I think that's not really what people are looking for for advice on a military forum.

You can also transfer out to civilian jobs from the military, but again, the point of a military forum is to discuss options for the military.  If you take this route, you don't get the military pension.  Most people who go this route sluff this one off, and then when they're 65 and realize they have no savings, they kind of regret it.

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
« Reply #366 on: March 26, 2019, 11:41:28 »

No I'm absolutely not. I personally didn't like Leitrim, but I know many individuals who thrived in that environment and really enjoyed their work/shift life. Conversely, I also know many people who absolutely loved the Regt (myself included) and the field troop lifestyle.

Your criticism of "going nowhere" is more a problem of the headsheds in the CAF not really understanding how to employ tactical EW on missions. A squadron from the Regt could certainly be deployed right now to Mali doing the same highly successful things we did in Afghanistan. But instead the boys are sitting in the troop rooms. I get it, not the most glamorous life but hey you get field pay and wear pajamas every day to work so I consider that the good life.
Retired EW 291

Offline DetectiveMcNulty

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #367 on: March 26, 2019, 12:37:34 »
Kokanee - my comments were not directed at you. I know you know what you're talking about. You’ve lived the good and bad of the trade and military life. Much respect man.

TimneyTime - your last post tells me you either haven’t been in long enough to know what you are talking about, or you have your head in the sand. There are dozens of former Comm Rsch with varying backgrounds/op experience now happily, and gainfully employed in secure and better paying Fed jobs (and elsewhere)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 16:08:08 by standingdown »

Offline TimneyTime

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #368 on: March 26, 2019, 13:11:22 »
Kokanee - my comments were not directed at you. I know you know what your talking about. You’ve lived the good and bad of the trade and military life. Much respect man.

TimneyTime - your last post tells me you either haven’t been in long enough to know what you are talking about, or you have your head in the sand. There are dozens of former Comm Rsch with varying backgrounds/op experience now happily, and gainfully employed in secure and better paying Fed jobs (and elsewhere)

Sure there are, I don't know any.  I only know the ones that hate their lives and use alcohol to self medicate.  I should say, I know of them.  I don't invite these people over for dinner or anything, but they're on the radar.

Offline DetectiveMcNulty

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #369 on: March 26, 2019, 13:20:23 »
Yes, because there are no people in the CAF that self-medicate with alcohol or drugs...only once you take off the uniform, right?  :rofl:

And of course you don't invite anyone that's suffering mental health issues over for dinner, you wouldn't want to be associated with "those types", would you?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 13:23:07 by standingdown »

Offline TimneyTime

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #370 on: March 26, 2019, 13:44:54 »
Yes, because there are no people in the CAF that self-medicate with alcohol or drugs...only once you take off the uniform, right?  :rofl:

And of course you don't invite anyone that's suffering mental health issues over for dinner, you wouldn't want to be associated with "those types", would you?

LOL I didn't want to say anything on self medicating troops, but uh... it may or may not happen.

I only do it at Christmas and Easter when my family visits.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #371 on: March 26, 2019, 13:52:12 »
Get the topic back on track.

And I believe the intent of standingdown's comments were missed.

Staff

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 13:57:24 by BeyondTheNow »

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
« Reply #372 on: March 27, 2019, 15:21:36 »
Kokanee - my comments were not directed at you.

my bad!
Retired EW 291