Author Topic: What's best for Deployment opportunities: Postal Clerk or RMS (NCM)?  (Read 28370 times)

Offline Binder

• Rate Post
Hi.  I'm considering re-enlisting as I really want to do a few tours.  I was Artillery in the reserves for 3 years and then switched to the Regs as Sup Tech.  I was released on a 3b Medical.  Back's okay now, 5 1/2 years later...thinking of either Postal Clerk or RMS, but I don't want to be stuck sweeping floors again, if you know what I mean, and I want a trade that has excellent ops for deployment regularly..  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I have filled out my application but haven't turned it in yet..

Offline Anyone's Grunt

• Rate Post
Re: What's best for Deployment opportunities: Postal Clerk or RMS (NCM)?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 13:06:10 »
Infantry.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 13:07:09 »
I don't think people should enlist or choose a trade merely for the opportunity of deploying.  There are plenty of civilian jobs if all you want to do is work overseas.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Lil_T

• Make the DRMIS go away....
  • Rate Post
  • Non-compliance will be met with brute force.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 13:09:26 »
As far as I know both are pretty much guaranteed a deployment at some point.  There will always be a need for Posties and Clerks.   So if you should re-enlist as a clerk (postal or rms) and you volunteer for a deployment, as long as you DAG green there shouldn't be an issue.   I'm not sure about regular deployment - have friends who are clerks and some (navy) have done a few NATOs and fishpats, and some who actively try to avoid deployment.  My husband is also a clerk and is currently on his 4th deployment (though 3rd as a clerk, was an MSEOP prior to CT/OTing).   I guess what I'm saying is, the opportunity is there if you want it.  Just express your interest to your career manager  CoC.

And I'll ditto RCR Grunt for infantry if you want to deploy a lot.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 13:24:23 by Lil_T »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline 2 Cdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 13:13:36 »
Not meaning to be a dink or anything, after all I am infantry but if you are looking for deployment opportunities go Sigs. When I was first posted to CFJSR I seen troops with racks of medals, many that I had never seen before! But if you're only in for the baubles maybe it's time to rethink your motivation. ???
AIRBORNE
2 Cdo 84-88

aesop081

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 13:16:17 »
 Just express your interest to your career manager.

I'm sorry but if a person is interested in a deployment, specialy if they are at entry level ranks, they express their interest to the chain of commande, not their CM.  The career manager doesnt decide who ( for example) 1 SVC Bn send on roto whatever........he probably couldnt care less.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 13:20:28 by CDN Aviator »

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 13:23:46 »
sorry - that's what I was thinking.  Not having a great brain day today.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 13:32:46 »
Not meaning to be a dink or anything, after all I am infantry but if you are looking for deployment opportunities go Sigs. When I was first posted to CFJSR I seen troops with racks of medals, many that I had never seen before! But if you're only in for the baubles maybe it's time to rethink your motivation. ???

2 Cdo, you're just torqued because we wouldn't let you go.

As for tours, it all depends on where you end up. Most of the RMS Clerks in the units I have belonged to did not get many tours as it was us Sigs that had most of the positions for deployment. In the 9 years I was at CFJSR our postie managed to get an all expenses paid trip to the Golan. Now there is no postie there, so I guess that is a moot point.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline Binder

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 13:41:13 »
"I don't think people should enlist or choose a trade merely for the opportunity of deploying.  There are plenty of civilian jobs if all you want to do is work overseas."

Thank you for replying. Perhaps I gave the wrong impression, but I am not thinking of re-enlisting just for deployment opportunities.  No way.  I miss being in uniform and serving my country and having/taking pride in my work.  Having said that, however, I found it quite difficult to take pride in picking up rocks outside on the pavement because there was not enough work for us Sup Techs to do on one fine afternoon! I do RMS work in civie street, and it suits me perfectly.  I am merely asking what the deployment opportunites are with this trade as well as the postal clerk - another trade of interest.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 13:50:13 by Binder »

Offline Binder

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 14:09:00 »
"But if you're only in for the baubles maybe it's time to rethink your motivation."

Nope - not the baubles.  As I was talking to the recruiter last week about Traffic Tech, he told me they may put their toe to Bosnia many many times, but they don't get a medal, I told him that's not what interests me.  I'm interested in participating in something worthwhile, working as a team on a humanitarian effort, making a 'real' difference in the world.  And I believe the CF is doing just that.

I'll be turning 40 next year, and to be honest, re-enlisting as a Pte.B at that age is kinda scary - it's like starting all over again - but I want to do it.  The questions are: will I pass the medical (back injury) and can I keep up in the running with the young 'ens.  I have muscular strength, but not so terrific with my cardio.  I came on this forum because I wanted to talk to the troops who are in - as part of doing my homework before handing in my application again.  I believe an informed decision is a good one. 

Thank you all for your replies.  It helps me.

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 17:15:41 »
well - you never know, depending on entry and how long our apps take, we may end up on the same BMQ.    Good Luck!!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 17:43:54 »
After being released 3b already, I'd be more concerned with the medical portion than how much I'd get to deploy.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 18:05:00 »
"I don't think people should enlist or choose a trade merely for the opportunity of deploying.  There are plenty of civilian jobs if all you want to do is work overseas."

Thank you for replying. Perhaps I gave the wrong impression, but I am not thinking of re-enlisting just for deployment opportunities.  No way.  I miss being in uniform and serving my country and having/taking pride in my work.  Having said that, however, I found it quite difficult to take pride in picking up rocks outside on the pavement because there was not enough work for us Sup Techs to do on one fine afternoon! I do RMS work in civie street, and it suits me perfectly.  I am merely asking what the deployment opportunites are with this trade as well as the postal clerk - another trade of interest.  

Well, thanks for clearing that up!  I guess if those are your two trades of interest, both are probably good.  As PuckChaser stated, get past the medical first.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 15:05:48 by PMedMoe »
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline 2 Cdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 11:55:22 »
2 Cdo, you're just torqued because we wouldn't let you go.

As for tours, it all depends on where you end up. Most of the RMS Clerks in the units I have belonged to did not get many tours as it was us Sigs that had most of the positions for deployment. In the 9 years I was at CFJSR our postie managed to get an all expenses paid trip to the Golan. Now there is no postie there, so I guess that is a moot point.

Sorry, not really interested in going overseas anymore. 8)
AIRBORNE
2 Cdo 84-88

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 12:20:54 »
As I was talking to the recruiter last week about Traffic Tech, he told me they may put their toe to Bosnia many many times, but they don't get a medal, I told him that's not what interests me.  I'm interested in participating in something worthwhile, working as a team on a humanitarian effort, making a 'real' difference in the world.  And I believe the CF is doing just that.

I sent a Traf Tech I know who is on here this one...hopefully he'll be by to clear this info by the recruiter up for you.  I know he has been to more than Bosnia.

Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 15:06:58 »
I sent a Traf Tech I know who is on here this one...hopefully he'll be by to clear this info by the recruiter up for you.  I know he has been to more than Bosnia.

I'm thinking he may be referring to Tfc Techs working at the airport in Zagreb, Croatia.
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 15:12:50 »
I'm thinking he may be referring to Tfc Techs working at the airport in Zagreb, Croatia.

Possibly....or maybe Traf Tech is green right now and RMS Clk isn't?  ;)
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Binder

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 16:40:05 »
well - you never know, depending on entry and how long our apps take, we may end up on the same BMQ.    Good Luck!!

Oh! I didn't know you were just signing up too.  Good Luck!!  I'm sure you'll do just fine  ;D

Offline Gramps

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 00:31:19 »
"But if you're only in for the baubles maybe it's time to rethink your motivation."
 As I was talking to the recruiter last week about Traffic Tech, he told me they may put their toe to Bosnia many many times, but they don't get a medal, I told him that's not what interests me. 

Could not be any more wrong if they tried. I have been a traffic tech for over 7 years, that is 14 countries, two tours, two medals (if thats what you are looking for) hundreds of thousands of pounds of humanitarian aid, millions of pounds of troops, bags, vehicles, helicopters, equipment etc etc. Your recruiter was dead wrong and should check their facts on this one for sure.
An object at rest cannot be stopped.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 01:51:56 »
I found it quite difficult to take pride in picking up rocks outside on the pavement ...  

- Only the small ones should have been picked up.  The big ones should have been painted!

:D

- Thought of Ammo Tech?
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline Binder

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 11:35:07 »
"I have been a traffic tech for over 7 years, that is 14 countries, two tours, hundreds of thousands of pounds of humanitarian aid, millions of pounds of troops, bags, vehicles, helicopters, equipment etc etc."

That's awesome. That's what I'm looking to be a part of..I wonder if my physical strength as a woman would be strong enough for this role.  If I may ask, where have you been posted for those 7 years?   Do you enjoy the job? And, this may seem like a silly question, but someone mentioned I'd need to DAG green - but I'm not totally sure what that means.   

Take Care.

Offline Binder

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 11:36:45 »

"Only the small ones should have been picked up.  The big ones should have been painted!"
 LOL!  yes, that's funny! 

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 14:02:50 »
Oh! I didn't know you were just signing up too.  Good Luck!!  I'm sure you'll do just fine  ;D

Thanks.  I'm still waiting on one teeny little thing before I go back to the Rec Ctr with my app.   This waiting game stuff is crazy..... guess I should get used to it though.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 15:17:23 »
That's awesome. That's what I'm looking to be a part of..I wonder if my physical strength as a woman would be strong enough for this role.  If I may ask, where have you been posted for those 7 years?   Do you enjoy the job? And, this may seem like a silly question, but someone mentioned I'd need to DAG green - but I'm not totally sure what that means.   

Binder, I'm female and I used to be a Tfc Tech.  My physical strength was never an issue (of course, that was many years ago and very far away now).  I was posted to Greenwood, Gander, Germany and Gagetown.  Yep, did a lot of the "G" bases.  ;D
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Binder

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 16:30:11 »
Binder, I'm female and I used to be a Tfc Tech.  My physical strength was never an issue (of course, that was many years ago and very far away now).  I was posted to Greenwood, Gander, Germany and Gagetown.  Yep, did a lot of the "G" bases.
=======================================

That's very cool!  Thanks so much for responding.  I appreciate it.