Author Topic: Breaking a Lease for Posting/Departure for BMQ Etcetera  (Read 13069 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Breaking a Lease for Posting/Departure for BMQ Etcetera
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 11:26:47 »
I have been accepted to BMOQ leaving in mid February, however this leaves me with  6 months left on my lease that I won't be here for. As the training date is so close and it is a short term of lease I am having a lot of trouble finding someone to take it over for me. I've asked my recruitment center if there are any programs or any way to leave the lease through the army but they said they weren't aware of any. Has anyone every experienced this or have any ideas where to go from here?

For reference to the discussion,

Breaking a Lease for Posting/Departure for BMQ Etcetera
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=84135.0

Offline readytofly

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2019, 11:30:11 »
For reference to the discussion,

Breaking a Lease for Posting/Departure for BMQ Etcetera
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=84135.0

My issue is that in BC you can't break a fixed term lease without paying out the remaining rent.

"A fixed-term tenancy agreement cannot be ended early except in three circumstances:  both parties agree in writing; there are special circumstances such as the tenant is fleeing family violence or the tenant has been assessed as requiring long-term care or has been accepted into a long-term care facility; or as ordered by an arbitrator"

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 11:34:47 »
From a CAF Recruiter,

Your best bet is to talk to your landlord and let them know that you're applying to join the CAF.  There are funds available to new applicants to assist in breaking a lease and this normally makes landlords ok with breaking a lease early as it gives them rent money while they're trying to get a new tenant.

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 11:51:16 »
My issue is that in BC you can't break a fixed term lease without paying out the remaining rent.

"A fixed-term tenancy agreement cannot be ended early except in three circumstances:  both parties agree in writing; there are special circumstances such as the tenant is fleeing family violence or the tenant has been assessed as requiring long-term care or has been accepted into a long-term care facility; or as ordered by an arbitrator"

A mutual agreement to end tenancy aka a form 8 may help you, by chance have you talked to your landlord yet? They may be ok with you ending it early considering you are joining the forces.

Any rate go here to get the form 8
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/residential-tenancies/ending-a-tenancy

Abdullah

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 14:09:29 »
Good morning everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance or tips for my current situation. I got the call on Thursday that I have been accepted to BMOQ leaving in mid February, however this leaves me with  6 months left on my lease that I won't be here for. As the training date is so close and it is a short term of lease I am having a lot of trouble finding someone to take it over for me. I've asked my recruitment center if there are any programs or any way to leave the lease through the army but they said they weren't aware of any. Has anyone every experienced this or have any ideas where to go from here?

A little additional information, I am in BC, the BC Residential Tenancy Act does not have a clause for military obligations. My lease is fixed term with 6 months remaining when I leave.

https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,84135.msg1411961.html#msg1411961

Read this post, and the 2 after (2nd one from Pusser and the one from Buck_HRA)...

Link to the CBI Pusser had included in his post:  208.955 – Reimbursement for Rent or Lease Liability
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 15:00:15 by Eye In The Sky »
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline mpfil

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 19:48:41 »
Good day everyone, I just got my posting message from Quebec to Montreal for august 1st. I renewed my lease in march as I was not sure at that moment if I would get my posting. My question is: How much will BGRS pay for breaking a lease? Is there a maximum amount? Because here in Quebec you must pay until the end of your lease if you don't find someone else to rent it.

Thank you!!

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2019, 20:56:47 »
Good day everyone, I just got my posting message from Quebec to Montreal for august 1st. I renewed my lease in march as I was not sure at that moment if I would get my posting. My question is: How much will BGRS pay for breaking a lease? Is there a maximum amount? Because here in Quebec you must pay until the end of your lease if you don't find someone else to rent it.

Thank you!!
You might as well start getting familiar with this now:  Integrated Relocation Program

7.03 Rent or lease liability
Core benefit

When CF members incur rent or lease liability in order to dispose of rented accommodation, they are entitled to reimbursement for an amount up to the maximum amount the landlord may charge under the applicable Tenants Act.

Rent/lease charges for a rental property are calculated from the load or clean day (whichever is later) for the remaining period of paid vacancy.