Author Topic: Applying from outside Canada (Merged)  (Read 44290 times)

Offline rfh15

• Rate Post
Re: Applying from outside Canada (Merged)
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2017, 03:05:17 »
Hello,

I am a 24 year old Canadian citizen who was born and raised in Lebanon (dual citizenship).  I’ve studied at the country’s top University (AUB) and earned a dual degree in Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science with a very good academic record.  I also earned a minor in Math.

I’ve been working for a year as a Digital Project Manager in Lebanon, communicating with multiple teams in different countries.  My mother tongue is French, and I did my undergraduate studies in English.  I also speak and write Arabic.

I found my job didn't have much value, so I recently resigned to relocate to Canada. I will arrive on the 21st of March and will reside there for good.  I will apply to the Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Officer position: I think I'm more than qualified for the position, and am really looking forward a career in the military.  I also think this job will suit me a lot.

I want to prepare all the necessary documents before my arrival, and want to know approximately how long it would take from the moment I contact the recruiter to receiving the offer so I can plan the coming months better.

It would be an immense privilege for me to join the Forces.  [:)
Can anyone give me some advice to make it happen as fast as possible?

Thank you for your help,
Raymond

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2017, 07:41:19 »
I am a 24 year old Canadian citizen who was born and raised in Lebanon (dual citizenship).

Security Check/Level Superthread (incl dual citizenship) - Check Here First 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=1399.25
35 pages.

Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=118362.0

Birth Certificates and Citizenship (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=17749.25
2 pages.

Security Clearance For a Person Living Abroad 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=121568.0

Living Abroad before Joining Reg/Reserves?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=104071.0

But if you were subject to a "Pre-Security Clearance Screening", then depending on the countries which are involved, the process can take from 6-18 months and sometimes longer.

Background Check (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=97476.50
3 pages.

etc...

I will apply to the Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Officer position:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+Electrical+%26+Mechanical+Engineering+Officer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=emK9WMjfFOmM8Qfwk6igCg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+EME&*

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:24:59 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline clmarr

• Rate Post
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2017, 14:00:41 »
Having lived in a different country, you are in for a long wait. From your time of application to BMQ, you can probably expect 1.5 to 2 years to pass (especially since Lebanon in a non NATO country). I am going through the same process.
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: AVS
Trade Choice 2: AVN
Trade Choice 3: ACS
Online Application: Nov 29, 2016
First Contact: Nov 30, 2016
CFAT: Jan 18, 2017
Lasik surgery: Feb 13, 2017
Reliability Interview / Pre-Security Interview: July 26, 2017
Medical:
Interview:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing In:
BMQ:

Offline John Kanaka

• Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2017, 16:19:19 »
You were born and raised in Lebanon for 24 years of your life but you have a Canadian citizenship? Interesting.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2017, 16:26:56 »
rfh15 registered on 06 March 2017, posted fifteen minutes later, and was last active very early the following day.

Offline John Kanaka

• Rate Post
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2017, 16:34:12 »
Well if he's as committed as he says he is then he should be back. I'm quite curious about it to be honest.

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2017, 17:08:07 »
You were born and raised in Lebanon for 24 years of your life but you have a Canadian citizenship? Interesting.

Why is that interesting?  Because he is a Canadian citizen, perhaps without ever setting foot in the country, or because of the country that he is living in?  What if he relayed the same story, however, instead of Lebanon, it was the United Kingdom?  Back a few decades, when I was going through officer training, one of the other officer candidates was in the same situation.  He was born in the UK, with a Canadian/Brit dual citizen father who lived and worked there and a Brit mother; he attended uni in the UK; he had never resided in Canada before he applied to join the CF;  he was processed while still living overseas, was accepted and moved to Canada for the sole purpose of starting BOTC complete with the Limey accent.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline John Kanaka

• Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2017, 21:51:09 »
Well that is interesting then isn't it?

I have a dual citizenship as well, the second being Polish. I've lived in Canada since I was 2 years old and I am 27 now. This isn't a civilian job and I feel like in order to keep it functioning as a Canadian army you want recruits that have some kind of reason for joining it other than, and I quote:

I think I'm more than qualified for the position, and am really looking forward a career in the military.  I also think this job will suit me a lot.

A feeling of being entitled to joining the Armed Forces just because you are a Canadian citizen on paper is wrong. You don't see me rushing to join the Polish Armed Forces because I like going there on vacation and like their international football team. So I don't really understand the appeal for somebody who grew up in an arguably different culture, wanting to spontaneously join the Canadian Armed Forces to serve Canadians and protect our freedoms and values. Seems like people are joining up for the wrong reasons, just because it "looks good" and "I wanna".

I've essentially lived here all my life and fully appreciate what Canada has offered me thus far; opportunities that I would not have had growing up in Poland. As a civilian I have a sense of pride and a sense of duty. I think there are some inherent qualities that fully assimilated Canadians have that are essential to fostering a positive reputation for our military; a sense of belonging and a sense of a common goal that can be best understood by individuals that spent a good portion of their lives here.

It would be an immense privilege for me to join the Forces.  [:)
Can anyone give me some advice to make it happen as fast as possible?

How can you understand the immense privilege if you have never even resided here?

Simply put, it honestly doesn't make sense to me for somebody who has never resided in a country to want to join their military. "Oh! Canada looks good! I think I want to go fight for them." Its a good thing you can't claim citizenship status in any country of your choosing, otherwise we'd all be fighting for Switzerland.

Those are my 2 cents on the matter. I do however fully appreciate the right to sign up and I am not trying to discourage anybody, regardless of where they live and where they have lived, from applying. I simply don't understand the motives that in my opinion are false to begin with.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 21:59:33 by jrogalew »

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2017, 22:05:44 »
People join for a variety of reasons.  I know a few Brits ex military who have come over exactly because of Canada looks good! And wanted to keep serving beyond what they could back home.  They all served with distinction regardless of their motivation. 

I don't care why people join.  I care about how they serve.
Optio

Offline John Kanaka

• Rate Post
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2017, 22:12:23 »
People join for a variety of reasons.  I know a few Brits ex military who have come over exactly because of Canada looks good! And wanted to keep serving beyond what they could back home.  They all served with distinction regardless of their motivation. 

I don't care why people join.  I care about how they serve.

Well said, and I agree that everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves regardless of their reasons for joining.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2017, 08:34:56 »
I will echo what Remius said.

Many Canadians have joined the Armed Forces of other nations as well. Thirty thousand Canadians joined the US Armed Forces during the Vietnam War. Many Americans came north during the Second World War and joined before the US was invited to participate directly by the Japanese.

Hundreds of thousands of immigrants come to this Country every year. What is "the appeal for somebody who grew up in an arguably different culture, wanting to spontaneously" immigrate? And there's likely nothing spontaneous about this for either immigrants in general or rfh15.

rfh15 has Canadian citizenship for a reason, and is most likely far from ignorant about this Country. Whatever his personal reason for wishing to join, he is as welcome to do so as any other qualified applicant. He would not be the first person with a Lebanese background to do so, or to die in service to Canada as one did not many years ago in Afghanistan.

Lastly, nowhere does he indicate a "feeling of being entitled to join(ing) the Armed Forces". Nowhere. He states quite clearly that it would be an "immense privilege", and I am more than happy with people who see it that way, and who display a little bit of humility like that.

I wish him well in his quest, because he can make a solid contribution to this Country, and I look forward to more of his posts.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 14:26:22 by Loachman »

Offline rajdhagat

• Rate Post
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2017, 08:28:48 »
Hi everyone, I have a couple questions that really need answering, but I'll give a little background info first because it might or might not help.
I'm an 18-year-old currently living in India, we had to move to a warmer climate due to my dad's spinal surgeries. I moved here in Aug 2012 with my parents and it's almost 5 years now. I have a dual citizenship in India but my primary is Canada and I'm on track to finish high school by March of 2018.
My concern is will the forces even consider my application (because I've been out of country for so long)
If it will, then I'll have to send all my paperwork from India, I mean, there's no recruiter nearby, is that possible?
I know that if I apply today, there's no way that my application would be processed my March next year anyways so when do you guys suggest I send my application? Also if you could list the current standard for people getting into the infantry trade out of high school, just so I know what I'm up against. Any help would be highly appreciated because I've put all my money on joining the army and I have no backup plans whatsoever with regards to what I'd do after high school if this doesn't work out.
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:02:13 by rajdhagat »

Offline rajdhagat

• Rate Post
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2017, 08:56:44 »
I already have a previous question merged it. I must have forgotten it was there. Thanks.
But if you could also provide a basic idea of what I'm going up against with my trade choice and age.

And also suppose I were to apply today and everything gets cleared out by next year and an appointment is scheduled before March 2018, can I have it changed or not?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:01:56 by rajdhagat »

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2017, 11:47:28 »
There are threads that cover all aspects of the recruiting process, including security checks and timelines. Look in the stickied "Common Topics" threads at the top of each subforum.

Yes, it'll take you a bit of time to work through those, but you'll learn more in the process, and save others from duplicating answers and therefore limit clutter on this Site.

The Recruiting System is also cunningly designed to accommodate people other than Army.ca Site members, so go online and start applying.

Qapla!

Offline rajdhagat

• Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2017, 13:24:23 »
Thank you very much!

Offline Cotroni

• Rate Post
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2017, 20:27:20 »
Hi guys,

In cCanada from 2000 to 2006, I became Canadian in 2006, was born in France from non-Canadian relatives and set sails for canada in 2000.
I am now 42 , holder of a B.sc biomedical sciences, few years of work in the pharmaceutical industry
then went back to med school in europe. 2 years left before I get my degree in medicine, however I wanna be back in Canada to join the army
question: am I allowed to join the CAF?
Will my medical degree from Belgium be recognized?
if not, can I join as a combat medic?
given that my parents are not Canadian, it is true that I must have 10 years of residence  in Canada before applying?
Thx for your assistance

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2017, 20:36:46 »
question: am I allowed to join the CAF?

To apply to the Forces, you must:
1.Be a Canadian Citizen.
2.Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except:
•Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.
•Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student.
3.Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec).
•Certain entry programs and occupations require higher levels of education.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#who

Will my medical degree from Belgium be recognized?

If you attended and graduated high-school, college or university in another country, you may need to have your education evaluated by the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada to determine if it is equivalent to the education provided in Canada. The Forces will not pay for the cost of the evaluation.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#education

if not, can I join as a combat medic?

Medical Technician

Entry plans

Required education

The minimum required education to apply for this position is the completion of the provincial requirements for Grade 12 or Secondaire V in Quebec with Grade 11 or Math (or Quebec equivalent) and any Biology and Chemistry course at the Grade 12 or Secondary V level.

This position also requires a valid provincial/territorial driver’s licence.

Direct entry

If you already have a college from a recognized Primary Care Paramedic program as well as a current registration, license or certification to practise as a Paramedic from a Canadian provincial or territorial regulatory authority, the CAF may place you directly into the any required on-the-job training program following basic training. Basic training and military occupation training is required before being assigned. If you have graduated in the last 24 months, no minimum experience is required. If you have graduated more than 24 months ago, at least 480 hours of cumulative experience is required as a Primary Care Paramedic with an emergency medical service in the past 24 months.

Paid education

Non-commissioned Member Subsidized Training Education Program (NCM-STEP).

Because this position requires specialty training, the Forces will pay successful recruits to attend the diploma program at an approved Canadian college. NCM SEP students attend basic training and on-the-job training during the summer months. They receive full-time salary including medical and dental care, as well as vacation time with full-pay in exchange for working with the Forces for a period of time. If you choose to apply to this program, you must apply both to the Forces and the appropriate college. For more information, see Paid education.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/health-care/medical-technician.html#entry

Reliability screening: the reliability screening and security check will take longer if you lived in another country or if you have a criminal record.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#reasons

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 20:52:50 by mariomike »

Offline Cotroni

• Rate Post
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2017, 21:18:14 »
Thanks a lot for your assistance this much appreciated.

Is there any age limit?
Given that my security check might take longer since I have lived in Europe for the past 10 years, any idea about how long the whole recruitment process might take?
For Canadians living overseas how can we make an appointment with a recruiting center?
will I have to fly to canada for every single steps of the recruitment process (aptitude test,fitness test,interview etc..?

Should  every candidate meet the same requirements for the fitness test regardless of their age and gender?
thx

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2017, 21:19:36 »
Thanks a lot for your assistance this much appreciated.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Is there any age limit?

Age Standard

On enrolment into the Regular Force, you must be of an age where there is enough time to complete any necessary training and your first term of service before the compulsory retirement age of 60.

Reservists must be able to complete 2 years of service for each year of training before reaching the compulsory retirement age of 60.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#age

Given that my security check might take longer since I have lived in Europe for the past 10 years, any idea about how long the whole recruitment process might take?

Security Check/Level Superthread [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=1399.50
36 pages.

TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=81054.0

For Canadians living overseas how can we make an appointment with a recruiting center?
will I have to fly to canada for every single steps of the recruitment process (aptitude test,fitness test,interview etc..?

Applying from Overseas (Officer, NCM - merged )
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=86619.100
5 pages.

Should  every candidate meet the same requirements for the fitness test regardless of their age and gender?

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CF Employment (FORCE): New PT test stds 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=106313.0
35 pages.

About the FORCE Program
https://www.cfmws.com/en/aboutus/psp/dfit/fitness/forceprogram/pages/about-the-force-program.aspx

FORCE - FAQs
https://www.cfmws.com/en/AboutUs/PSP/DFIT/Fitness/FORCEprogram/Pages/FAQs.aspx

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:57:32 by mariomike »

Offline Cotroni

• Rate Post
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2017, 20:47:54 »
Hi and thank you so much for your help

It's amazing how comprehensive the raplies are, very very helpful :-)

Ok here is another question, would you know by any chance how long would a security clearance take for someone born in France?

Knowing that in France we can ask for our criminal record, would you know whether adding it to my application file might speed up the application process?

I am really motivated to enroll in the CAF, howeve given that I was not born Canadian and that I am
 43 there are certainly some areas where I would probably not being accepted for fair reasons, so, I am wondering whether you might know in which areas we see most Canadian "immigrants" being affected to? This might help me making my decision as to which CAF job might fit me best.

Thanks a lot for your assistance once again :-)

Offline Cotroni

• Rate Post
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2017, 21:09:44 »
UPDATE:

So I called the recruiting centre after my last post and in fact it turns out that there is a completely different office that deals strictly with Overseas applicants. The Mcpl I talked to was super friendly and helpful and got me sorted. Unfortunetly, I needed to get some documents from the Italian authorities (where Im posted) because I am "technically" a resident of Italy while here... and well, Italy being Italy, it took for bloody ever to get a silly little peice of paper and by then my trades had closed. C'est la vie!

Anyway, just thought I'd post that up in case others need that info and ar
e searching for it.

Regards,
J

hi there,

I hope you managed to move forward with your application.
Could tell me who specifically deals with applications from overseas? I am based in France and plan to apply to teh CAF soon

Thanks for your help

Best regards,

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2017, 09:34:01 »
Please note that jobs are not given to "immigrants" based on them being immigrants.  When you are trying to decide which occupation to apply to, it is linked to both your education and your aptitude.

As to how long your security clearance would take - mariomike has already provided you with resources that have questions & answers to this question; please take the time to read those threads.

Security Check/Level Superthread [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=1399.50

TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=81054.0

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2017, 09:40:41 »
I hope you managed to move forward with your application.
Could tell me who specifically deals with applications from overseas? I am based in France and plan to apply to teh CAF soon

You've replied to a post from 2010 and the user was last online December 07, 2011.

All applications for foreign applicants are overseen by staff at Recruiting Group Headquarters.  You will be put in touch with the appropriate staff once you fill out the online application.

Offline Cotroni

• Rate Post
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2017, 23:56:52 »
 thanks a lot for your replies.

Offline oryxs

• Rate Post
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2017, 13:15:33 »
A very interesting read. Sometimes people don't have a choice where they live eg kids. As a former air force pilot, I now work overseas in the civilian sector. Left Canada 10 years ago and my son, then 9 years old, had no choice but to move with his family. He is now busy going through the application process to join the CAF, so in a very similar situation as a few of the contributors on here. Being Canadian is more than just living there.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 13:37:29 by oryxs »