Author Topic: What is it like to be an RMS in the Navy  (Read 6093 times)

Offline Treads89

• Rate Post
What is it like to be an RMS in the Navy
« on: April 19, 2010, 13:02:43 »
What are the day to day duties of a Navy RMS clerk like, if not posted to ship.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: What is it like to be an RMS in the Navy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 13:14:23 »
I'd hazard a guess that they would be similar for any RMS clerk (Army, Air Foce or Navy); admin, pay, leave passes, claims, etc.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 16:06:48 »
You will also stand duty watches in Hbr. At sea you will stand watch at the Damage Control consul, be a casualty clearer during Action or Emergency stations. Finally you will be a communicator during seamanship evolutions.
Oh ya, on top of all that you will be doing the job you joined the CF to do.

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:46:35 »
Don't forget too, in moderate to heavy seas, you and your office will be all over the compartment and if you are prone to seasickness - don't have a wicker style waste basket beside your desk!!!!
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:54:11 »
Don't forget too, in moderate to heavy seas, you and your office will be all over the compartment and if you are prone to seasickness - don't have a wicker style waste basket beside your desk!!!!

The OP's questions stated "if not posted to ship."   ;)

Good point, though.   :nod:
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 11:02:44 »
The OP's questions stated "if not posted to ship."   ;)

Good point, though.   :nod:

There's that damn "Attention to detail" thing that always gets me!

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 13:17:53 »
I stand corrected but why, in God's name would you NOT want to be on a ship!!!!
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 14:21:42 »
lets see .... because:

I am not a Medic (Casuality Clearing, Level 2 First Aid, you are better off dead or at least passed out if I come for you)

I am not a Musician (stupid bos'n call - pipe the old man ashore?  Bend over I will pipe you ashore at least I think you will jump that far when I shove this where I am thinking of)

I am not a Communicator!! You want someone to talk on a radio or the ships piping system then hire a radio announcer and leave me alone

I am not a Supply Tech - RAS?  Here you go - tongue out giant strawberry.  Storing evolution?  What the - isn't that why the supply section is there?

I am not a Commissionaire/Security Guard/MP - Duty Watch?? Isn't that what we have them for??

I am not a dishwasher (now if I could just get D9 to understand that)

I am not a Janitor (although the military does pay me much more than I made when I was one)

Ok - I did like the Duty watch for the great food the Chef made me (I will not insult him by calling him a cook, he actually knew how to make a steak medium, gently steam veggies instead of boiling them bland and bake a potato without the dirt).
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 16:12:11 »
lets see .... because:

I am not a Medic (Casuality Clearing, Level 2 First Aid, you are better off dead or at least passed out if I come for you)

I am not a Musician (stupid bos'n call - pipe the old man ashore?  Bend over I will pipe you ashore at least I think you will jump that far when I shove this where I am thinking of)

I am not a Communicator!! You want someone to talk on a radio or the ships piping system then hire a radio announcer and leave me alone

I am not a Supply Tech - RAS?  Here you go - tongue out giant strawberry.  Storing evolution?  What the - isn't that why the supply section is there?

I am not a Commissionaire/Security Guard/MP - Duty Watch?? Isn't that what we have them for??

I am not a Janitor (although the military does pay me much more than I made when I was one)

Ok - I did like the Duty watch for the great food the Chef made me (I will not insult him by calling him a cook, he actually knew how to make a steak medium, gently steam veggies instead of boiling them bland and bake a potato without the dirt).

Well you really belong on an Air Force base where it is one person one job (no matter how trivial it is!) ;D

Offline deskjockey43

• Rate Post
  • Purple People Helper
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 21:59:35 »
lets see .... because:

Honestly, all of these things sound like fun to me! And I would get to do the paperwork stuff I love too....
Recruiting Centre: Toronto
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade choice 1: HRA - Navy
Re-Apply: October 2, 2016
First Contact: October 7, 2016
CFAT: Passed Nov 2014
Initial Paperwork: Nov 25, 2016
Medical: Jan 17, 2017
Follow-Up Medical: Feb 2, 2017
Interview: Dec 13, 2016
Letter requested: Feb 15, 2017
Letter sent: Feb 22, 2017
Merit Listed: March 16, 2017
Position offered: March 29, 2107
Swearing in: July 5, 2017
BMQ: July 24, 2017

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 08:26:22 »
lets see .... because:

This about sums up the attitude of the RMS trade at sea as of late. 

You really should think about a uniform change.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way