• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

28 Oct 06: Day of Protest Against the CF (& Canadian war crimes against an occupied people)

Danjanou said:
Your wish is my command.

http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=1315&l=1

As to his/their credentials…well I guess to the granola brigade they look pretty good. He appears to be an SME in the same vein as Taliban Jack and the mouthpiece,  excuse me the delegated spokesperson for the Polaris Institute

Ahh yes, now I remember.  Their board has some fairly high-powered types...and they are big into the "Responsibility to Protect" doctrine - currently being applied in, oh, Afghanistan...

Their Afghanistan reports, at first glance, are balanced and very detailed.  One quote that directly contradicts the CPA:

That the legislature contains warlords, commanders and drug traffickers is undisputed, but it is the institution, not the individual members, that is important. Their presence must not be used as an excuse to marginalise the body, which in this sense is not unique among the branches of the Afghan state.

And one very interesting statement that deserves quoting in full, even though it's a bit old (my emphasis added):

Joint Statement by The International Crisis Group, Care International, and the International Rescue Committee on The Expansion of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan

Statement
31 October 2003

Our organizations have just completed a round of consultations with NATO in Brussels and Washington on the expansion of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan. The following are the key points we conveyed to NATO:

1.      Our organizations welcome UN Security Council resolution 1510 authorizing ISAF expansion beyond Kabul, as well as recent NATO expressions of its willingness to take on this important additional responsibility.

2.      We believe that an expansion of international peacekeeping beyond Kabul is an essential element of support by the international community to Afghan authorities over the next year in the run-up to the constitutional loya jirga and national elections. Improving security outside Kabul is also vital to reconstruction efforts, which have been hampered by an increase in attacks on aid agencies – from one per month to one every two days – over the past year.

3.      Now that NATO has agreed to lead ISAF expansion, we urge it to move quickly from planning to implementation. While careful planning is important, timely action is also essential to respond to the numerous threats – including extremist elements, powerful warlords and a resurgent drug trade – to continued progress in Afghanistan. It is also imperative that ISAF’s presence outside Kabul be meaningful in scale. The deployment of a handful of additional Provincial Reconstruction Teams (PRTs) would simply not be adequate to fulfill its mandate.

4.      While we welcome the willingness of the German government to send an ISAF team to Kunduz, we urge that NATO give priority in subsequent deployments to the most insecure locations in Afghanistan. We also call on all NATO member governments, and other governments interested in the future of Afghanistan, to commit the additional troops, equipment and funds required to support ISAF’s expanded mandate. Without significant additional resources, the recent UN and NATO decisions to expand ISAF will be little more than hollow gestures.

5.      We also urge NATO to focus the activities of all ISAF forces in Afghanistan, including additional teams deployed outside Kabul, on security-related tasks, leaving reconstruction to the Afghan government and civilian aid agencies. In particular, we urge that ISAF focus on: training professional Afghan police and military forces; and assisting in the implementation of a comprehensive program of disarmament, demobilization and reintegration into civilian life of those militia forces that do not qualify for the new police and army. Given ISAF’s mandate as an “assistance” force, building the capacity of the Afghan government to provide for the security of its people should be the central focus of its activities.

In conclusion, our organizations welcome NATO’s decision to take on the challenge of ISAF expansion in Afghanistan. We now urge it to implement this decision quickly, and to do so in a manner that will improve the security of the Afghan people and aid agencies involved in reconstruction, while also creating conditions for the successful completion of the Bonn process. To do less would be to risk the collapse of international efforts to help the Afghan people create a more peaceful, prosperous and democratic Afghanistan.

The CPA is engaging in just a bit of selective quoting...  ::)

Check out the rest of the Crisis Group's Afghan work here:  http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=1266&l=1

My guess is that the CPA won't be quoting from them too much - they're very supportive of NATO in Afghanistan.

Dollars to dognuts they will be using the cenotaph at the Halifax site for a podium.  :threat:

http://www.mikecampbell.net/cenotaph.htm

Keep them OFF the Cenotaph!  Use fire hoses if you have to, but keep them OFF the Cenotaph!

TCBF said:
Keep them OFF the Cenotaph!  Use fire hoses if you have to, but keep them OFF the Cenotaph!
Sadly this is probably what their hoping will happen. Make themselves seem like the victim when their interviewed on the six o'clock news.

Thanks but… No Tanks!
Troops out of Afghanistan

The Government of Canada has announced that it is sending another 450 soldiers and a squadron of heavy battle tanks to Afghanistan to stop the advance of the Taliban in Kandahar province. This is a dangerous escalation in a war that is becoming increasingly violent for NATO soldiers and the people of Afghanistan. The CPA strongly condemns this arms buildup and calls for the troops to be brought home now.

Despite growing opposition in this country and a clear message coming from international warfare experts that this war is long lost, Canada is raising the stakes and bringing more weapons into an already volatile situation. This escalation is against the wishes of most Canadians. In the Globe and Mail poll reported on September 14, only 3% of respondents called for in increase in Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan while 41% called for immediate withdrawal.

This new deployment also belies the suggestion that Canada is in Afghanistan to conduct development and reconstruction work. Tanks have never been used for construction but are rather a useful tool when destroying the lives and homes of innocent people. The violent occupation led by the US and NATO continues to cause great suffering in the country and augmenting that deployment with tanks will not help. Our heavy hand has just gotten a bit heavier which will cause more suffering for civilians there and cause an even stronger resistance to build.

The issue in Afghanistan is that we are on the side of a corrupt and violent government that is seen as a puppet of the US administration. Our occupation forces will likewise continue to be seen as unwanted and violent occupiers. More heavy weapons will not change that fact.

The people of Afghanistan may think that they are living in an Orwellian nightmare. Recent polling by human rights and development groups has found that a majority of the people of Afghanistan want disarmament. To respond by sending Leopard heavy battle tanks shows how little that the NATO forces care about the needs of the Afghan people.

On October 28 2006 tens of thousands of people will be taking to the streets in Canada to cal for our troops to be brought home now.
http://www.acp-cpa.ca/en/media_centre.html
I see they like selective use of statistics as well.

Kat Stevens said:
"On October 28 2006 tens of thousands of people will be taking to the streets in Canada to cal for our troops to be brought home now."

And tens of millions WON'T.... ::) 

Although you are 100% correct, the problem is that on the evening news, those millions and millions of people won't show up, just those unemployed, those university students skipping class and a selection of so-called intelligentsia will be on the streets and on the screens of televisions.  Sadly, they don't even realise that most of the left, including the Birkenstockers worldwide, APPLAUD NATO's effort in Afghanistan.

Well, on October 28th, I plan to be celebrating in memory of my dear grandfather, the birthday of his beloved corps - The Royal Marines.  (Oct 28th, 1664)

Not to sound glib, but did shares in Birkenstocks go down or something? Or is the finality of the softwood lumber debate putting tree huggers and such out of their usual realm of protesting?

I should add that since it's my job nowadays to deal with war crimes and so far, no Canadians have appeared on my docket...how wrong are these people????

von Grognard said:
Although you are 100% correct, the problem is that on the evening news, those millions and millions of people won't show up, just those unemployed, those university students skipping class and a selection of so-called intelligentsia will be on the streets and on the screens of televisions. 

I hate to break it to you von Grognard, October 28th is a Saturday  :(

career_radio-checker said:

*gulp*
Now, right, go ahead and use FACTS to break up my argument

:-[

Sorry bout that

I guess there won't be as many university students, since they'll all be hung over, or they'll wake up in some stranger's house and not know the way to the local protest ;)

I have to express my unease of these rallies being held around war memorials. While the vast majority of the people in these groups are level headed individuals who simply want to state their cause, there are always a few bad apples (mainly anarchists) who go to rallies looking for a fight.

Vandalism is what I am worried about. It has happened in the past and has the potential of occurring again, especially around the symbols of the things protesters are fighting against. Homes Not bombs is one organization that has more than once vandalised the monument outside of Moss Park Armoury. And if I recall, the GGFG's tank had paint splashed on it. Most recently I can remember the vandalism that happened on the National War Memorial this past Canada Day.

Here in Ottawa, the protester's march brings right past the National War Memorial and down to the Peace keeping monument. I for one don't want to see a repeat of Canada Day. Is anyone willing to spend the afternoon at the War memorial as part of an "honour guard" (in civies of course)? I am by no means advocating that we get involved in the rally or go looking for trouble (then we are just as bad as anarchist). All we would do is sit there, watch the colourful parade go by and make sure no dumb punk grafitis the tomb of the unknown.

Anti-war activists, love em' or hate em,' has every right to make their protest, just as we had a right to hold the Red Fridays campaign on Parliament hill. But no one and I mean NO ONE has the right to desecrate a war memorial -- especially the National one.

career_radio-checker said:
So, how about inviting all those people that have never been able to make it out to a Red Friday to show up for Red Saturday all across Canada on the 28th.  That's right.  Let's take the spotlight from the CPA on their day.

MCG said:
So, how about inviting all those people that have never been able to make it out to a Red Friday to show up for Red Saturday all across Canada on the 28th.  That's right.  Let's take the spotlight from the CPA on their day.

.....and hand out Flyers debunking the claims of the CPA, or show their support for the ISAF mission only three years ago.  Pass out copies of the poems that are being published here by soldiers.  Stick up "Support our Troops" posters along their parade route..... >:D

MCG said:
Muwhahahahah take that hippies :evil:

Sadly I have divisional training that weekend so unfortunately I can't go protest the protesters. What a surprise though, they're protesting at Queen`s University here in Kingston.

These clowns make me sick. Our troops die in the line of duty and these snot-nosed hippy wanna-bes are bending the truth to try to re-live the bleeding '60s.

Danjanou said:
I was thinking of dragging along my camera and attaching the big honking tele-photo lens and standing across the street. You think that they may misinterpret that? >:D

I was thinking the same thing except I don't have a monster lens (200mm max). However, I give you permission to capture any images of me should I be attacked while I shoot from a closer range.

In reading about this crap these hippies plan to pull, I think something desperately needs to be done to overshadow this ridiculous protest, which they are allowed to have thanks to the ones they protest against. I live in Windsor, and was apalled that something like this would be taking place in this city. In hindsight, I should have seen it coming, though. When I drop off my sister at university, I have taken notice of how many university students like to walk in front of moving vehicles, thinking everyone will stop for them. I guess this just shows how much power they have, boy, they're really going to hit the Forces hard with THIS one! (sarcasm, obviously) Anyways, just my stupid rant, 'tis late.

AND I QUOTE SOMEONE SOMEWHERE....

It is the soldier, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the soldier,
who salutes the flag,
who serves under the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

:salute: :cdn:

What a gem of a site. They're opposed to Mohmmed cartooons, too.

The fact is, unless you're going to stnd up and fight for what you belive in, either way, you're not really standing up for anythign. These guys just seem to want to keep their heads down and not offend anyone for their stay on planet earth...

Good luck with that.

Quote from the Calgary Support the Troops Rally

To a anti/against/confused participant "Your being here proves that my 20 years in the service of this country is worth something"(unknown veteran)

Reply/after action by anti/against/confused participant "imagine a fish gasping" or "someone recovering from a throat punch" and then leaving the area.

Back