• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Forage Cap

Just had a look on the Logistik website, and yes you CAN'T use points for the forage cap, you have to purchase it. It's currently listed for $50:20 without tax

They seem to be out of the bigger sizes 7 1/8 and up. I am not a fan of the wedge

Those on the DWAN can see a letter written by a former CAS, outlining his reasoning behind the "wedges for all" policy.  Seems well thought out to me.

http://vcds.mil.ca/cas/dmcs/FilesO/DMCS-20328.pdf

Occam said:
Those on the DWAN can see a letter written by a former CAS, outlining his reasoning behind the "wedges for all" policy.  Seems well thought out to me.

http://vcds.mil.ca/cas/dmcs/FilesO/DMCS-20328.pdf

The green wedge was an option for all; I saw a Major wearing an RCR cap badge on one in Lahr in 1986.

Prior to adoption of the blue uniform, we wore berets on parade in 427 Squadron and 444 Squadron, and possibly in all Tac Hel Squadrons. That option should at least have been given.

I hate wedges, as I've said before. There is good reason why the Army, in which they originated, rejected them as obsolete many, many years ago.

Someone answer this please.....is the beret allowed with air force dress DEU without the jacket on? I ask because I saw a major wearing his short, with ribbons and a beret outdoors.

Don't get me wrong, I like wedges potatoes, but can't stand the wedge

ruckmarch said:
Someone answer this please.....is the beret allowed with air force dress DEU without the jacket on? I ask because I saw a major wearing his short, with ribbons and a beret outdoors.

Don't get me wrong, I like wedges potatoes, but can't stand the wedge

As far as the Air Force is concerned, berets are only for wear with CADPAT.  If you're wearing Ceremonial or Service dress (flavours of No.1 or No.3 orders), then one is supposed to be wearing the wedge.  It sounds like you're describing No.3B order of dress.

Occam said:
As far as the Air Force is concerned, berets are only for wear with CADPAT.  If you're wearing Ceremonial or Service dress (flavours of No.1 or No.3 orders), then one is supposed to be wearing the wedge.  It sounds like you're describing No.3B order of dress.

This is not correct, occam. 

You can wear the beret in any order of DEU less than 1/1A, i.e. if you are only wearing ribbons (vice gongs), beret is AOK.  That from the CFP-265 and the AF CCWO.

Cheers
G2G

p.s. my official Departmental portrait is in #3 with beret.  The photographer asked if I wanted to wear my medals (vice just the ribbons) - I told him, "No thanks, that's okay," -- fashionable and dress reg compliant - sweet!

p.p.s.  Thankfully common sense and good judgement came into effect the day that AF leadership banned the wedge from being worn with CADPAT.  :nod:

Occam said:
As far as the Air Force is concerned, berets are only for wear with CADPAT. 

And flight suit/flying clothing.  ;D

Also, I thought the beret was allowed in No. 3, according to Figure 6C-2 of CFP 265 (page 340 of 378).  That figure shows a male and female in AF DEU with a wedge, but states "cap/hat, service, or beret, or wedge, or toque, or (for males) turban (note 2).

Note 2 states:  Navy members shall not wear berets or short-sleeved shirts with this order.

CFP 265. (DIN/IntraNet Link)

So, if you go by CFP 265, the beret is authorized for wear in No. 3 Service Dress (3-3E inclusive).

I stand corrected, but I wonder if there's an error in the 265?  I just noticed this:

5. Air Force Uniforms
a. Except as noted in sub-paragraph b., air
force personnel shall wear the following
headdress:

(1) ceremonial, mess and service dress
cap/hat service dress (officers and
CWOs), wedge cap, tuque, Yukon cap,
or turban

(2) service dress, less No. 3E order – as
above and beret;

(3) No. 3E order (base dress) – wedge cap,
beret, tuque, or turban; and

(4) operational dress – wedge cap, beret or
turban.

Why wouldn't the authors just omit the reference to service dress in (1), if the intent was to allow the beret with service dress?

Occam said:
Why wouldn't the authors just omit the reference to service dress in (1), if the intent was to allow the beret with service dress?

Because the beret used to be allowed with all orders of AF dress, until some folks who were big fans of the wedge decided to put a stop to the beret, saying it looked "too Army."  The regulations were revised to allow beret in a round about way, for all orders except 1 and variants, hence how the 265 is written currently. 

Interestingly, there was a temporary flare-up of beret with DEU 1 for a period when CANSOFCOM personnel assigned the Air DEU wore the tan beret for just under a year for all orders of DEU.  That was quickly quashed by AF dress gurus, who scurried to put a tan "flash" in place to be worn on the wedge to indicate that the member wearing the AF DEU was part of CANSOFCOM (similar to how AF DEU Military Police have a red flash on their wedges). 

[disclaimer: end factual information / start opinion]

Of course, no regulation wouldn't be a truly great regulation unless there was an organizationally-endorsed double standard for a chosen elite few, hence SAR Techs are still permitted to wear their beret with all AF DEU orders of dress, 1/1A included.  Many have found it to be an energy-sapping exercise to get an answer to the question, "Why don't the SAR Tech have an orange flash for their wedges, like the red or tan flash for MPs and CANSOF?" Some people are more special than even 'special' people.  ;D

My 2 ¢

;)

Can someone please a working link intranet or internet for all the dress numbers ( # ) for all elements please

ruckmarch said:
Can someone please a working link intranet or internet for all the dress numbers ( # ) for all elements please

You'll find them in the dress manual, CFP265 (DWAN link only)

ruckmarch said:

Holy Recce Eyes Batman!  I am guessing you didn't know the CF Dress Instructions are sometimes referred as CFP 265, or just 265.  Learn something every day around here, eh?  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
CFP 265. (DIN/IntraNet Link)

Eye In The Sky said:
Holy Recce Eyes Batman!  I am guessing you didn't know the CF Dress Instructions are sometimes referred as CFP 265, or just 265.  Learn something every day around here, eh?  ;D

He did say a working link....  ;)

And here it is, in a non-DWAN link.*

Orders of dress are in Chapter 6 with pictures starting at pg 6A-4.

*Almost as good as a working link.  ;)

AmmoTech90 said:
So, a real link is no good to anyone.

You do know what no-duff means right?

Have you been following this thread, or you just like jumping in with both feet at the end of conversations? Go back a few posts and see the non-working link I was talking about, then come back and reitirate your comment

ruckmarch:

"Noduff" means - for real, actual.  It's used for a variety of purposes - usually during an exercise when passing for real info - as opposed to exercise info.

This means that your statement above:
Indeed...a no-duff link is no good to anyone.

translates to "Indeed... a working, real link is no good to anyone."

That's all everybody is driving at. 

I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant to say - and I'm also aware of how one can overlook simple errors in one's own posts - after all, you already KNOW what you meant - so you tend to skim and miss obvious errors.  Happens to all of us.

Roy

Back