• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Temperate Combat Boot - Initial Issue

CLOTJunkie said:
personnel holding a CC3 position; regardless of element will be issued these boots...

Perhaps, in order to do my own evaluation. If they fail, as the CWWBs did, they will go right back to supply.

CLOTJunkie said:
There is a lot of direction coming down the line lately with regards to the CEMs boots;

Such as?

Loachman said:
if they fail, as the CWWBs did, they will go right back to supply.

Mine have indeed failed and are being returned as soon as i get home. They are UNSAT , plain and simple.

I've thrown in the towel with the TCB as well and the other Bs that are associated with it.  After a month of calloussing my left heel, I've decided to go back to the Aircrew Boot (but keeping the sweet, sweet long nylon laces!)  The moment I can get to Supply, I'm asking for custom footwear b/c the "speed lace" rings touch each other at my ankles. 

Dimsum said:
I've thrown in the towel with the TCB as well and the other Bs that are associated with it.  After a month of calloussing my left heel, I've decided to go back to the Aircrew Boot (but keeping the sweet, sweet long nylon laces!)  The moment I can get to Supply, I'm asking for custom footwear b/c the "speed lace" rings touch each other at my ankles. 

You might have hear me walking down the hallway already.....click......click.......click...... ::)

As I posted earlier, I exchanged my first pair.  I gave up on my 2nd pair after 2 weeks of wear.  They claim they are able to fit orthodics...sure, but not comfortably.  I have gone back to my Magnums and have my TCBs ready for return.  I just got 2 new sets of orthodics that can't be worn in these boots.  I asked if they had ones that were "deeper".  The Supply guy said no, to make them fit orthodics they give ones that are wider, longer, or both.  But my foot isn't wider or longer.  So...they can have 'em back.  If I have to, I'll buy my own boots before I have my foot on top of an orthodic, banging around the inside of boots that are too wide, too long, or both.

The only positive thing I can say about these boots is they lace up easily.

Dimsum, you can get the laces at supply, thats what they were giving out here in YAW and they told me that was the only laces they stock now.

CDN Aviator said:
You might have hear me walking down the hallway already.....click......click.......click...... ::)

I probably would have, if I didn't spend the last few days frantically flight planning and staring at the screens in the Trainer  :crybaby:

I also probably would have remembered what life was like before this "Groundhog Day"  schedule  ;D    j/k

Eric_911 said:
The way it was explained to me had something to do with the Army not having an in-service safety boot with water-resistant vapour-permeable liner.
The previous safety boot issued to the Army did not have a very broad selection of sizes ... I belive there was only one width: narrow.  Using this boot for the Army's steel toe requirement will provide something that fits more feet.

I avoid wearing my issued safety boots because to fit my foot width the toe was so long it was like clown shoes that were more likely to cause me to trip than do anything protective.  If the change to the scales has been made (and I know it was being looked at), then I will at some point be switching out my old safety boots to give these new ones a try.

Finally got rid of the TCBs, GPBs and CWWBs for a pair of Magnum Stealths and Matterhorn Gore-tex boots yesterday, and had a great time running around Winnipeg (especially today) in both pairs.  So far, my only regret was why I didn't do it before I started limping on my TCBs?  :'(

Dimsum said:
Finally got rid of the TCBs, GPBs and CWWBs for a pair of Magnum Stealths and Matterhorn Gore-tex boots yesterday, and had a great time running around Winnipeg (especially today) in both pairs.  So far, my only regret was why I didn't do it before I started limping on my TCBs?   :'(

Matterhorns?  Did you get them LPO or did you pay yourself?  I LOVE Matterhorns!  I had a pair of the 10" full leather field boots.  Best boots I've ever had on my feet.  (although I am interested in trying the 8" lighter ones for the same use you have them for....).

LPO'd both sets.  Wing Supply was very easygoing about that, actually.

Reviving a dead one here.

Well after much mucking about, I am finally getting a decent LPO replacement for the CEMS TCBs and thought others might want to take a look at them.  After taking a look at them, Supply approved them for the TCB LPO replacements.  I found it hard to find decent full leather, CSA-certified ones that didn't weigh a ton.

Magnum Stealth Force 8.0 Leather WP CT/CP.

CSA-certified composite (read *lightweight*) toe/plate/shank, full leather upper.  A pair of these weigh in at about 630g's.  Feather-light compared to the 5.6lbs my CEMS TCBs weighed in at.

I am supposed to be picking them up today, so other than trying them on with my orthodics at the store, I haven't worn them yet but they felt like a pair of sneakers that day. 

The reference I used with the folks at Special Sizes for the TCB requirements is below, as well as MA Doc No D01341CFS, Sub_CFS D03141AA (item # 038 on page 6) for the actual entitlement:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/DFS/publications/fc/08-3/d/d4-eng.asp

Eye In The Sky said:
Magnum Stealth Force 8.0 Leather WP CT/CP.

CSA-certified composite (read *lightweight*) toe/plate/shank, full leather upper.  A pair of these weigh in at about 630g's.  Feather-light compared to the 5.6lbs my CEMS TCBs weighed in at.

:o

That's an impressive reduction in weight that Magnum has achieved.  I've been having a real problem getting TCB that will accommodate my orthotics and my feet at the same time, so if the next pair I try out don't work (and all we did was go up one size in width), then I may have to investigate these Magnums.

Back