• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any word on Officer trade numbers?

Remember, ROTP and DEO address two different time frames of requirements.

An ROTP officer will be employable five years from now - four years in school one year in training.  A DEO is for next year - one year in training and they're employable.

Thus, a shortfall in ROTP intake this year usually won't translate into increased DEO intake until 3-4 years from now.

stank101 said:
Do you think the best timing to apply as a DEO is in May or June because the semester at RMC is done and the graduates make their choice for their trade? (I dont know the process if you're from the RMC).
dapaterson made the first point, about how DEO/ROTP recruit for different time frames.

Second point, or to deal with the above quote specifically, RMC cadets generally have their MOSID already.  In the past few years they've experimented with recruiting cadets and then assigning them their trades mid-year or at the end of the year, but I believe that experiment is over (for now at least) because first years now come to RMC with their trade already assigned.  I believe, based on the chatter in the ROTP forum, that that is also happening for this upcoming year.

So....no, the semester ending at RMC should have no effect on DEO spots.

That said, I don't think DEO spots are directly tied to ROTP either. While I obviously have no inside knowledge of the system, they could very likely always fill up every officer position with ROTP applicants (though perhaps not of the highest quality) if they really wanted to. So I don't think DEO is simply a means of filling positions that haven't been filled ROTP- that would be a pretty dumb recruitment system.

That's not so say I'd expect a bunch of DEO spots in the near future (I would expect to wait a while), but I don't think it's directly linked to ROTP.

EDIT: What dapeterson said is worth remembering though: an ROTP candidate for say Infantry Officer is not an Infantry Officer. He just will be one in up to 5 years. So for ROTP they're really hiring for future needs, no current ones.

I just called the National Recruitment Centre this morning and was told that Infantry, Armour and Pilot professions have all been opened as of April 26th... I would guess that the same might apply for many other officer positions.

THAT call could arrive at any time now, provided that you're on the merit list.

I can confirm that, I was told that Inf O (and I think he was implying my other choices, Armour O, Arty O) have opened. He wouldn't give me any idea of numbers, and I didn't ask about selection dates though.

Trick said:
I can confirm that, I was told that Inf O (and I think he was implying my other choices, Armour O, Arty O) have opened. He wouldn't give me any idea of numbers, and I didn't ask about selection dates though.

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/cfc-ecc/dc-cd/index-eng.asp

According to the CFLRS site, the next courses for DEO candidates are happening on May 7th (English only), May 14th (English and French) and August 20th (English only) (N.b.: platoon numbers starting with M are 11-weeks long and those starting with L last 15 weeks, hence I figured the latter are the DEO courses). I personally wouldn't hold my breath for the May courses, but August 20th seems rather plausible.

This said, I dropped by the Montreal RC at noon to inquire further about these recently opened professions and, to my surprise, the recruiter had no idea that Inf O just opened up... there's got to be some informational discrepancy between the National Recruitment Centre and the local ones.

yeah it's a pretty recent change. The word I'm hearing though is that there are very few spots.

ken.w2402 said:
http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/cfc-ecc/dc-cd/index-eng.asp

According to the CFLRS site, the next courses for DEO candidates are happening on May 7th (English only), May 14th (English and French) and August 20th (English only) (N.b.: platoon numbers starting with M are 11-weeks long and those starting with L last 15 weeks, hence I figured the latter are the DEO courses).

This is not a correct assumption. ROTP OCdts attending civy university also have the 15 week BMOQ. Last year we had 3 leadership platoons start and end at the same time and only one was DEO. Actually IIRC out of the 5 leadership platoons that started in the first couple weeks of May, only one was DEO.

2010newbie said:
This is not a correct assumption. ROTP OCdts attending civy university also have the 15 week BMOQ. Last year we had 3 leadership platoons start and end at the same time and only one was DEO. Actually IIRC out of the 5 leadership platoons that started in the first couple weeks of May, only one was DEO.

Yes I'm aware of what you're saying there. I should have been more specific; what I meant is that, while ROTP's could be in either, DEO candidates necessarily attend the 15-week course, thus ruling out the M-platoons.

Inf O, Arty O and Armour O are open, but extremely low numbers. (3, 3, 12).  This was according to the list generation on April 26, saw this at the RC prior to my interview yesterday (which I passed for pilot and armour o., medical next week!)

Someone who knows this stuff better would be able to answer this, but those numbers seem awfully low. Why would the run a course for 3 Inf O's? Or maybe they just expect them to wait forever for their courses?

Trick said:
Someone who knows this stuff better would be able to answer this, but those numbers seem awfully low. Why would the run a course for 3 Inf O's? Or maybe they just expect them to wait forever for their courses?

DEO numbers only.  There are ROTP in the pipeline already who also need training.

Trick said:
Why would the run a course for 3 Inf O's? Or maybe they just expect them to wait forever for their courses?

Who knows why but if thats what they are taking, who are you to question that ?

Trick said:

I'm laughing tragically right now looking at those numbers... considering I'm in for the Van Doos, my chances are probably even slimmer as they'll have to fit me into a French platoon, god knows when that'll pop up.

CDN Aviator said:
Who knows why but if thats what they are taking, who are you to question that ?

I'm questioning if those numbers are the national numbers or not. Rumours fly all over the place in the recruiting forum. As for the ROTP candidates- can't they only train in the summers?

Trick said:
I'm questioning if those numbers are the national numbers or not. Rumours fly all over the place in the recruiting forum. As for the ROTP candidates- can't they only train in the summers?

ROTP candidates eventually graduate and go on to complete their training.

dapaterson said:
ROTP candidates eventually graduate and go on to complete their training.

Really ?

I could have sworn from reading on here that they went on to graduate studies right away.

:dunno:

Oh ok, my mistake. I was under the impression that ROTP candidates did their occupational training in the summers so that they were job-ready upon graduation.

Back