• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BASIC MILITARY OFFICER QUALIFICATION BMOQ Jan 2011

kartik

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello:

Just got confirmation for the Basic Military Officer Qualification course starting January 17th 2011 - April 29th 2011 at St. Jean's for Naval Combat Systems Engineering. Calling upon all other candidates who will be or are planning to attend this course to reply so that we can have a group on Facebook maybe

Also, asking others to put in their opinions, tips, suggestions etc.... that might help the group

- K

guysletsdoit said:
Hello:

Just got confirmation for the Basic Military Officer Qualification course starting January 17th 2011 - April 29th 2011 at St. Jean's for Naval Combat Systems Engineering. Calling upon all other candidates who will be or are planning to attend this course to reply so that we can have a group on Facebook maybe

Also, asking others to put in their opinions, tips, suggestions etc.... that might help the group

- K

I'm pretty sure people do not "plan" to attend BMOQ.  You are selected and told what dates you are going.  Suggest changing thread title to BMOQ Jan 2011 as there may be more than one starting in Jan 2011.  Usually, only one thread is started for each month.

I guess when we attended NOAB in Oct 2010, we were told that our group had 3 choices for dates. In fact I was put on Nov 8th 2010 but between NOAB and November start date I just had 3 weeks and hence they asked me if I was OK for January 2011 or April 2011. I opted for January 2011 and hence the word "plan"

- K

I'm confirmed for BMOQ January 17th at St. Jean's.  Was accepted as an Infantry Officer.  I'm literally counting the days...

Whereabouts is everyone from?  I'm in Toronto myself

Good luck everyone.  I look forward to meeting soon and putting faces to names

:nod:  CR

I'm from Nova Scotia.

Are many other people just finishing school as well? January seems like an odd time to start BMOQ, but I will have finished my degree requirements in December. Maybe most people attending have had their degree for a while and are switching careers.

I am from Edmonton Alberta

I think they always had January BMOQ and then close for fiscal year until April. It should be exciting. Yes many have had their degrees for a while and many are switching careers. I anticipate average age of about 27 years in the group.

- K

I already have a university degree as well as a college diploma. But...I'm 35 yrs. old so expect I will probably be one of the older ones in our group.  And I also believe they have always had a BMOQ starting in January and I don't see any reason why this start date isn't as good as any other.  It will no doubt be cold for the first couple of months but we should also get some warmer spring weather as well.  I think it's best actually, a little bit of both rather than all-cold weather or all-hot.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure the weather will be the least of our concerns...

Also, I was given an end-of-course date of April 27th (approx.)  But I was also under the impression that the BMOQ was 16 weeks.  Can anyone confirm the end-date you were given?  I'm also going to call my recruiter again to ask

How's the whole 'getting in shape' ordeal working out for everyone?

CR

Hey CR

I am given dates between Jan 17th 2011 - Apr 29th 2011 St. Jean for BMOQ.

As far as working out goes, I gave up smoking so its good. I run 2.4kms just under 12mins. Now I am starting the 5kms from next week once a week. Really cannot practice much of 20m shuttle but I heard that Edmonton Police Service also has 20m shuttle as a test and they allow practice runs. I am going to enrol for a practice run before I leave Edmonton. Pushups = 9. I have a long way to go on pushups as such. Situps = 14. Closing in for situps. Aim is for about 25 correct situps and 20 correct pushups. This will keep me with the required standards.

Any suggestions on working out will ne highly appreciated

- K

Still waiting for my offer from the NOAB, not sure if I will be one of the 14 lucky MARS candiates... If not it will be the new fiscal year for me. Think I would rather freeze my butt off then sweat it off.

Yah - I was given those same dates.  So that's about 14 weeks.  Yikes!

As for fitness...I'm running just under 6km in about 30min - but there's some hills in there so that adds to my time.  But that time is pretty much within range so I hope I'm ok, plus I've got a little more in the tank if (more like when) they push us further.  Not sure what to do about the shuttle run either but I'm hoping as a decent runner I'll be ok.
As for push-ups I'm gassing out after 25 and by 30 my form is shot - lol, funny though, because I'm 35 yrs old I'm actually only required to do 14...but I'll keep pushing, I'd like to be able to bang out 40 but I'm a long way from that yet.
Sit-ups I can do about 45 so I'm good there.
Chin-ups 12 -  these are not included in our PT test but you will be expected to do them throughout the course

I will say this though...when I started training about two months ago, I could barely get past 15 proper push-ups, 25 sit-ups and 2 chin-ups.  Practice makes perfect and you will see results and improvements if you keep at it.  When you can't do another push-up, go to your knees and keep going.  If you can't do another sit-up, grab your knees/thighs and cheat for extra reps.  Use a chair for chin-ups if you can't get up or try jumping up and working on slowly lowering yourself down thus working the negative - this works great.  You've gotta push your muscles past their max and then make sure you take a day or two for the muscles to repair.

Your diet is also very important.  You don't have to go crazy but lose the fast food and cut out the empty calories.  Lot's of protein, complex carbs, fruits/veggies and water and you should be good.  Alcohol is not your friend but don't sweat a drink here and there.

BTW, I do my own cardio and sit-ups but as for weights/push-ups/chin ups etc. I'm pretty much sticking with P90X workouts- it's intense and very difficult at times but it works with incredible results.  I attribute my push-up and chin-up improvements entirely to this. 

Acer Syrup - good luck man, I hope you make it.  If not just sit tight, you'll get your call...

CR

Acer Syrup:

Which NOAB are you referring to? As far as I know the one I attended in Oct 2010, the results for MARS and NTO were declared on the last day. Make sure you contact the CFRC. Good Luck!!!

Btw, I got a call from my file manager, my swearing in and enrolment is on January 14th 2011 and flying out on January 15th 2011 early in morning from Edmonton

- K

derekreid said:
I'm from Nova Scotia.

Are many other people just finishing school as well? January seems like an odd time to start BMOQ, but I will have finished my degree requirements in December. Maybe most people attending have had their degree for a while and are switching careers.

Im just finishing up my degree in December too, had to go to school full time all summer to finish in time.

guysletsdoit said:
Acer Syrup:

Which NOAB are you referring to? As far as I know the one I attended in Oct 2010, the results for MARS and NTO were declared on the last day. Make sure you contact the CFRC. Good Luck!!!

Btw, I got a call from my file manager, my swearing in and enrolment is on January 14th 2011 and flying out on January 15th 2011 early in morning from Edmonton

- K

Was also at the Oct NOAB... Too many MARS candidates for available spots in 2010... some of us will have to wait till April 2011 at least. I called CFRC week after and was told to call back if I didn't hear anything within three weeks... Well tomorrow is three weeks. We will see what they say.

I won't be there in January, I'm rewriting my CFAT in January, hoping to get accepted as Infantry Officer, Armour Officer or Artillery Officer. So I'll probably encounter you guys while you're at a later point in your course and I've just started, but I don't know all the starting dates for 2011 BMOQ courses.

Add me to the list!!!
I'm going to the BMOQ in January 2011 as well :D

Same here.  Found out this afternoon and hit the gym this evening. :)

Going as a Naval Combat Systems Engineering Officer. Coming from Ottawa  ;D

Back