• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Combat boots policy 2005-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proud Canadian

Inactive
Reaction score
I just had my chit updated as I wear non-issued boots (Magnum Boots) I have my chit updated yearly. 2 Pairs are wet weather and find them better than gortex, the other 2 pair are Magmun Stealth great for high temperatures. I wear these boots as they accommodate my orthodics and wide feet I have. Could never get a proper fit with Issued boots. I use to suffer from planter fasciitis (this occurred while in the military) and the problems was solved with the Magnum brand of boots. I actually spent 4 months on light duty with planter fasciitis 2 years ago. Just recently back in December I decided to pic up a pair of the issued gortex wet wether boots. The first day I had them on I had one major slip and fall the put my back out. I am not expected to make a full recovery until around July.

My concerns are the Canforgen that came out a few months ago stating non-issued boots are not allowed in the field. I mentioned this to my MO this week and told to forget the darn Canforgen. The MO made it quite clear to me that he will authorized me to wear to issued boots as they will not accommodate my orthodics and wide feet. If he caught me with issued boot he would charge me, if I we to try and wear issued boots in the field and were to re-injure my feet he would again charge me for the wearing the issue boots. IMO the Magnum boots have superior taction over the issue boots.

So I am stuck between the my MO and the Canforgen. When my back recovers and I return to the field what the heck am I supposed to do about the boot issue. My COC was given the chit and letter from 2 MO's this week that they will not authorize issued boots at this time. When the new resoled wet wether boots become available they will be authorized as they accommodate the darn orthodics and wide feet.

Any suggestions how to deal with my concerns.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it.  If they want to battle of medical issues and the troops they will have a big fight on their hands.

If you are given a chit for boots by an MO they are considered issued, and therefor are allowed to be worn as per issued boots. Thats why you are only allowed certian types when you bring in your chit.

Hello Everyone. I have been looking around before I post this to get my question answered but I still was not able to find the exact answer I seeked so sorry if this takes any of your time.

I have flat feed and there wide. I got fitted with a custom orthodic for my flat feet. The boots I got issued form NDHQ are 13 WIDE but there not wide enough. My foot hits the side of them and I get blisters. Now I am lookign on a lot of sites and I see a lot of US Combat boots for sale that come in really wide. I'm curious, DOes the Canadian forces allow you to buy your own boots or does it depend on the regement your in?

Also do you think its possible to request a wider pare speically fit by a Military Doctor?

THanks everyone

Its a case some oof my buddies encountered during our present BMQ, you have to go to sick parade...to get a sheet...telling that you have a boot problem...and thenyou will be able to get a different set of boots. which by the much more comfy then the good old mark III

:) good luck

mysteriousmind said:
Its a case some oof my buddies encountered during our present BMQ, you have to go to sick parade...to get a sheet...telling that you have a boot problem...and thenyou will be able to get a different set of boots. which by the much more comfy then the good old mark III

:) good luck
Oh Great, I start BMQ July 3rd. So your saying is I should give them a try, let them fully fit in then if they are hurting me talk to my CHain of Command at BMQ. Then They will help me otu and I should get a better confey set?

What I'm saying...try your boots...put them to your feet...the first few days are hell for feet all of my section had blisters...now our boots and our feet are accustomed to each other and they are much more comfy.

Boots are made of leather and will stretch a little. If the boots after a few days are to painfull....request a visit in the morning to the sick parade. ex pain to the medical team the problem...and they will take care of you...perharps a few days with no boots, or if they realised that it will not work...they will give you the sheet telling that you need to change your boots. after show this sheet to your section commander...and they will take arrangement for you to make a visit to the clothing facilities and they will give you and other model, or they will give you instruction on what to do.

I did not live this problem personally so after that I'm not sure what it the correct procedure.

Good luck. Where are you doing BMQ?

I know the army is very strict on issuing "non-issued" boots.  Here in Gagetown, they won't replace my vibram soled boots even though I have a medical chit, which wasn't written here, it was in Edmonton. I spoke with a MO about this and the reasoning behind it is they will only issue "non-issued" boots to soldiers who are on T-Cat and P-Cat now.

Maverick894 said:
I know the army is very strict on issuing "non-issued" boots.  Here in Gagetown, they won't replace my vibram soled boots even though I have a medical chit, which wasn't written here, it was in Edmonton. I spoke with a MO about this and the reasoning behind it is they will only issue "non-issued" boots to soldiers who are on T-Cat and P-Cat now.
Ill be goign to Gage TOwn next year. So do you have a lot of pain?

The orthopedic surgeon I visited says I have a high arch, so I need more cushioning for my feet, because there was too much impact on my knees.

Maverick894 said:
The orthopedic surgeon I visited says I have a high arch, so I need more cushioning for my feet, because there was too much impact on my knees.
I see, I'm the complete opposite, I have No arch :). THanks a lot for your help guys. You really all helped!!  :cdn: :cdn:

Maverick894 said:

last my understanding was, chits are not covered from base to base.
at least that's what the MO at 3RCR and the bin rats at base clothing told me *shrug*

Another route you could try is to talk to the MO to get a chit for non-issued boots at your own cost and maintenance. I too have custom orthotics and the Mk IIIs, even after getting them stretched at suppl, still cause me grief. They cut up the front of my ankles so I went and bought my own pair of boots and got a chit saying that I was allowed to wear my boots, just that the army wouldn't pay for them. Hope this helps.

Before you go to the MO try this first, fill your boots with HOT water and let them sit until the leather is good and wet then dump the water out and put them on, ensure you tie them as tight as you comfortably can, wear them till they are completely dry, repeat this process 2 or 3 more time.  They will then be properly formed to your feet and you might just find that your problem is gone, if not then try the MO route

241 said:
Before you go to the MO try this first, fill your boots with HOT water and let them sit until the leather is good and wet then dump the water out and put them on, ensure you tie them as tight as you comfortably can, wear them till they are completely dry, repeat this process 2 or 3 more time.  They will then be properly formed to your feet and you might just find that your problem is gone, if not then try the MO route

A lot of people are telling me thjis but i'm not sure iF I can get my orthotics wet. I will call my doctor and ask him.

Also big foot what boots you use now?

slowmode said:
A lot of people are telling me thjis but i'm not sure iF I can get my orthotics wet. I will call my doctor and ask him.

Well I certainly hope they can get wet because your feet are gonna get wet in those boots constantly through out you career, if you are worried about it though take them out until its time to put the boots on

241 said:
Well I certainly hope they can get wet because your feet are gonna get wet in those boots constantly through out you career, if you are worried about it though take them out until its time to put the boots on

slowmode said:

Honestly just keep pressing until you get boots that work..I'm working on it as we speak, and will let you know how it turns out. Being forced to wear the mark III's without orthotics (when you need them) is a mistake and only does more damage to the soldier in the long run...trust me on that.

Maverick894 said:
I spoke with a MO about this and the reasoning behind it is they will only issue "non-issued" boots to soldiers who are on T-Cat and P-Cat now.

I see that they will take the time to fix you after you are broken.

As far as boot chits goes, there is no comprehensive instruction that is stardard through the CF. Edmonton med chit stndard seems to have a more liberal standard then elsewhere. Petawawa bought against regs to give the troops deploying decent boots. This one in Gagetown is news to me and truely a case of let them eat cake. Or otherwise said, let them be in pain.

There are certian units who will buy you boots, but until you are in those units, knowing that will not help you much.

Quick question:

If your boots are LPO'd, how often are you allowed to "exchange" them and are you allowed to draw other types of boots (ie. CWWB)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back