• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Decoration: C.D. [Merged]

Just curious, whenever I have anyone working for me, I was tracking stuff like when CDs are due along with the normal divisional items like progress on OJTs, career courses etc.  Is that not the norm?  I thought that's the entire point of having a divisional system, in that you're responsible for your people.  Pretty easy as the most I had was about 45, with a few direct supervisors in between, but still.

That's the crux of it Pete. The Divisional System is only as good as the folks using it. People are always the weakest link in any system.

ModlrMike said:
People are always the weakest link in any system.

You only say that because you never had to sail in a 40 years old and + ship or a 50 years old or + Sea King. :)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
You only say that because you never had to sail in a 40 years old and + ship or a 50 years old or + Sea King. :)

QFTT  ;)

Seriously, when the entire message of the CF currently seems to be "Rush people through the menial, unit level jobs so that they can become awesome staff functionaries", what the hell did we think would happen to leadership at the lowest level (or all levels, for that matter)?

NS, best option is to go to the SHO and have them order it. Any clerk with MAPS access would be able to submit the application.. It will take up to 6 months to receive the clasp at the unit after the application is accepted.

NavyShooter said:
I am now (as of 3 weeks ago) due for my Clasp.

I have my doubts that the H&A unit rep (who's actually my boss) has done anything with this...

Once I rejoined the Reserves, I got tired of the absolute fuckery needed to get my proper decorations issued.

I took it on myself to apply through online applications. I didn't have to wait more than three months to have both delivered to my home mailbox.

The unit bitched, I denied why they appeared in my mailbox, the unit issued them, to me, a week after I gave the medals to them.

Groveling hosers. When a unit says no dice, can't get it for a year or so, and I can get it in three weeks by applying online, pretending I'm retired, why the fuck can't a unit make it happen in a timely matter?

recceguy said:
Once I rejoined the Reserves, I got tired of the absolute fuckery needed to get my proper decorations issued.

I took it on myself to apply through online applications. I didn't have to wait more than three months to have both delivered to my home mailbox.

The unit bitched, I denied why they appeared in my mailbox, the unit issued them, to me, a week after I gave the medals to them.

Groveling hosers. When a unit says no dice, can't get it for a year or so, and I can get it in three weeks by applying online, pretending I'm retired, why the fuck can't a unit make it happen in a timely matter?

I repeat:

E.R. Campbell said:
It isn't a supply problem; it's a f___ing people problem: people like the officers and NCOs in ships, units, bases and HQs.

I heard from people on the recent ILQ in St Jean that the people who do our medals have had their positions cut from 5 to 2 and the medals are starting to get backed up for engraving or shipping or something like that. Has anyone heard anything on this?

Thats been an on again off again issue for the 35 years I've been in uniform.  Wouldn't surprize me if its an issue yet again.

....because we don't have any members deployed and will receive medals.  Oh wait...

No word yet for IMPACT if they are coming up with anything new or going with the GCS - EXP and GSM - EXP.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=GCS_EXP

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=GSM_EXP

Eye In The Sky said:
No word yet for IMPACT if they are coming up with anything new or going with the GCS - EXP and GSM - EXP.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=GCS_EXP

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=GSM_EXP

I believe the committee that makes recommendations for such things is meeting next month; it would not surprise me if this was on the agenda.

TB said:
I've been awaiting for my CD (again nothing new) because there's none left in the system.

Nothing new is correct.  It is not uncommon to wait a year or two for your CD, and the same for each Bar as time passes.

dapaterson said:
I believe the committee that makes recommendations for such things is meeting next month; it would not surprise me if this was on the agenda.

Rog that.  Seems like all they need to do is add to the eligibility criteria for the GSM for the IMPACT folks and voila...done.

George Wallace said:
Nothing new is correct.  It is not uncommon to wait a year or two for your CD, and the same for each Bar as time passes.

I'm on 3 years, and had to re-submit my application again (third time's the charm?) just a few months ago.  Not sure why that medal isn't automatic based on MPRR.

Dimsum said:
I'm on 3 years, and had to re-submit my application again (third time's the charm?) just a few months ago.  Not sure why that medal isn't automatic based on MPRR.

They will probably give it to you when you get your 1st bar. ;D

Dimsum said:

I'm sure being a "loaner or rental" hasn't made it any easier on the system to respond either. 

My CD was about a year overdue, however, my CD1 arrived on time and I expect the CD2 will arrive on time next year as well.  I have faith...  Although, I had to order and do the paperwork for my initial issue GCS/SWA.  The bar arrived without too much fuss when they were initiated.  The OSM/EXP took it's bloody time though...  All in all I suppose, it's not been too bad.

A family friend of mine had to get creative, he too waited 2 years for his CD and was to take a leading role in a very large-scale parade (I believe it was a Change of Command). So what did he do? Borrowed his older brother's CD and wore that for every parade until he received his. 

(so find a buddy, and alternate days of wear  ;D)

Back