• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Should have left it in the trash where it belonged.....WTF did they expect people to say? I voted because I like socks??? Seriously stupid....
Yes, so we can expect a uniform response by all the different party supporters.

75 per cent of People’s Party voters cited the platform as a major influence

67 per cent of Conservative voters cited the platform as a major influence

64 per cent of Liberal voters cited the platform as a major influence

64 per cent of NDP voters cited the platform as a major influence

39 per cent of Green voters cited the platform as a major influence

19 per cent of Bloc Québécois voters cited the platform as a major influence

Huh. That didn't work out at all. Seems like some party supporters follow policy more than others. Weird eh?
I'd have asked them after to quote one section of each parties platform,....I'll bet that would have been funny.
PPC-Anti lockdown and gun rights

LPC-childcare and environment

CPC-lower taxes and jobs

NDP- Pharmacare, dental care, proportional representation

Greens- environment

Bloc- provincial/Quebec rights.

People likely go with the general party platforms and not verbatim, but just more evidence that people do vote based on platform.

Yes, so we can expect a uniform response by all the different party supporters.

75 per cent of People’s Party voters cited the platform as a major influence

67 per cent of Conservative voters cited the platform as a major influence

64 per cent of Liberal voters cited the platform as a major influence

64 per cent of NDP voters cited the platform as a major influence

39 per cent of Green voters cited the platform as a major influence

19 per cent of Bloc Québécois voters cited the platform as a major influence

Huh. That didn't work out at all. Seems like some party supporters follow policy more than others. Weird eh?

PPC-Anti lockdown and gun rights

LPC-childcare and environment

CPC-lower taxes and jobs

NDP- Pharmacare, dental care, proportional representation

Greens- environment

Bloc- provincial/Quebec rights.

People likely go with the general party platforms and not verbatim, but just more evidence that people do vote based on platform.
Well, one poll says so.

Electoral behaviours in Canada. Your premise is based on one factor. So essentially one dimensional when things are more complex. And yes leaders play a part.

Maybe refer to this work.

It’s apparently highly recommended reading for this sort of subject. I haven’t read it but the excerpts seem to take apart your argument.

Well, one poll says so.
If you find another that says otherwise I'll take it under consideration.

Electoral behaviours in Canada. Your premise is based on one factor. So essentially one dimensional when things are more complex. And yes leaders play a part.
Leaders play a part, naturally, how big a part is what I've always questioned.
Maybe refer to this work.
I'm not reading 270 pages to get to the point, if you want to share anything from said book, I'll gladly read it here.

It’s apparently highly recommended reading for this sort of subject. I haven’t read it but the excerpts seem to take apart your argument.
I look forward to you sharing its conclusions.

Last edited:
You are relying on one Poll from Research Co. on CTV ago back your point.

of course you won’t read 270 pages. Today’s generation does not read. They want to be spoon fed. (Like policy ideas) A quick glance at the content though demonstrates that your point and what you went and found is nothing more than confirmation bias on your part. And you are trying to pass that off as a fait accompli.

I doubt you look forward to it’s conclusions. But I can sum it up. “There is no rule fits all”.

Glad I could help.

You are relying on one Poll from Research Co. on CTV ago back your point.
I made a point, this backs up my point.
of course you won’t read 270 pages. Today’s generation does not read.
I am actually working through 3 books I really want to finish on my kindle and as such, do not have time to read the book you suggested because it really doesn't tickle my fancy.
They want to be spoon fed. (Like policy ideas) A quick glance at the content though demonstrates that your point and what you went and found is nothing more than confirmation bias on your part.
I mean, sure, if you want to ignore a poll that runs counter to your point, go ahead.

No bias on your part, naturally.
And you are trying to pass that off as a fait accompli.
Did I? I said more evidence that backs up my point, didn't say case closed.
I doubt you look forward to it’s conclusions. But I can sum it up. “There is no rule fits all”.

Glad I could help.
Very insightful.

I made a point, this backs up my point.

I am actually working through 3 books I really want to finish on my kindle and as such, do not have time to read the book you suggested because it really doesn't tickle my fancy.

I mean, sure, if you want to ignore a poll that runs counter to your point, go ahead.

No bias on your part, naturally.

Did I? I said more evidence that backs up my point, didn't say case closed.

Very insightful.
Like I said. Glad I could help.

The short media-friendly blurbs that are the public face of policy documents are indistinguishable from mood affiliation statements, and ought be treated as such.

Former Republican strategist Rick Wilson said he loved it when Democratic candidates put out 300 page policy papers because he could get his team of nerds to go through it to find ten things that would scare the crap out of middle class women.

I honestly didn’t look at any of the platforms. What I did hear about some of the things from the Tory plan sounded like they were done on the back of a napkin. But I still voted for them because they appeared to be grownups compared to the incumbents.

Is this the assistance with housing Trudeau was promising during the snap election?

While Canada sent hundreds of millions in aid to Jordan, its king grew his collection of luxury homes​

<<paywall>>

Is this the assistance with housing Trudeau was promising during the snap election?

While Canada sent hundreds of millions in aid to Jordan, its king grew his collection of luxury homes​

<<paywall>>

Meanwhile...

Why is Canada sending millions to Communist China?

Arecent Department of Foreign Affairs Survey found that only 4 percent of Canadians are aware that their government sends millions of dollars of foreign aid to China every year. In 2020, the Canadian government sent out $6.5 billion in foreign aid; $14.2 million, or 0.2 percent, was allocated to China.

All of these millions were sent even while the Chinese government holds two Canadians in prison, former ambassadors Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor. These two men were arrested only days after Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou was arrested in Canada in 2018. The National Post reports that 119 Canadians are currently in Chinese custody.

In 2019, the Canadian government sent a $41 million payment to the China-controlled Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (aiib), which is only part of the $256 million it promised when it joined the bank in 2017. Canada is supposed to make the final two payments in March 2021 and 2022. This on average will cost Canadians $0.25 per day. This capital will be used by the aiib to support infrastructure projects in Asia, or in other words, fund China’s leverage over Third World countries. But aiib contributions are separate from foreign aid.

According to the Canadian International Development Platform website, Canada sent the following amount of foreign aid to China:
  • 2019 – $41.9 million
  • 2018 – $7.1 million
  • 2017 – $8.5 million
  • 2016 – $1.6 million
  • 2015 – $0.1 million
  • 2014 – $9.1 million
  • 2009 – $77 million (peak contribution in data set available)
China has the world’s second-largest economy with a gross domestic product of $14.3 trillion. Why is Canada sending millions of dollars a year to China?

These foreign aid payments flow through various government agencies to various firms, groups and government organizations in China, which makes it difficult to determine what the funds are actually being used for. For example, in 2019, Environment Canada sent $5.8 million of multilateral aid to China. This means those funds were sent to an international organization or government group that favors development in that country. Additionally, Environment Canada sent $6.5 million bilaterally to China, and Environment and Climate Change Canada sent another $3.1 million bilaterally. Bilaterally means the donor selects the specific group that receives the money or has conditions on how it is used.
That is a total of $15.4 million sent from Canadian government agencies to private companies or government-controlled organizations for, we would assume, climate-change measures in China in 2019. The National Post reported that this money is being used to implement the Montreal Protocol, an initiative to reduce the amount of ozone-destroying chemicals put into the atmosphere. That same year, China was criticized for violating the Montreal Protocol (besides being marked as the largest polluter in the world).

Another example of how these funds may be used is the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (cfli) being launched by the Canadian Embassy in China. This initiative funds local organizations in China that align with Global Affairs Canada’s “thematic priorities.” Here is a list of what the recipients need to be aligned with as listed from the Canadian government website:
  • gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls;
  • inclusive governance, including diversity, democracy, human rights and the rule of law;
  • human dignity, covering health, education and nutrition, including the response of local nongovernmental and not-for-profit organizations to coronavirus (covid-19) disease;
  • growth that works for everyone, including women’s economic rights, decent jobs and entrepreneurship, investing in the poorest and most vulnerable, and safeguarding economic gains;
  • environment and climate action focusing on adaptation and mitigation, as well as on water management.
This is in conjunction with Canada’s “Feminist International Assistance Policy to advance gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls as the most effective way to reduce poverty and build a more inclusive, peaceful and prosperous world.”

The cfli has an average budget of $24.6 million per year for countries all over the world. This program was used in China in 2019, 2020 and 2021. Which groups received this money and how effective were they at promoting these themes? We will probably never know. Neither the Chinese government nor the Canadian government make these facts readily available.

However, this foreign aid is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Canada’s economic and political subservience to China.

Another example of how these funds may be used is the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (cfli) being launched by the Canadian Embassy in China. This initiative funds local organizations in China that align with Global Affairs Canada’s “thematic priorities.” Here is a list of what the recipients need to be aligned with as listed from the Canadian government website:
  • gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls;
  • inclusive governance, including diversity, democracy, human rights and the rule of law;
  • human dignity, covering health, education and nutrition, including the response of local nongovernmental and not-for-profit organizations to coronavirus (covid-19) disease;
  • growth that works for everyone, including women’s economic rights, decent jobs and entrepreneurship, investing in the poorest and most vulnerable, and safeguarding economic gains;
  • environment and climate action focusing on adaptation and mitigation, as well as on water management.
So a fail on all of the above and money still flows...

Is the information valid or not?

This site, which seems a little more 'respectable', suggests that the 2020 foreign aid payout to China was more along the lines of $7M:

This (yet another 'slightly right of Atilla the Hun') site claims it's about double that:

I just finished giving this a read, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

To summarize… not many people were happy with the PM for calling an election when he did.

Nor are people happy with their elected officials in Ottawa. (Pretty shocking, I know. I didn’t see that coming.)

of course you won’t read 270 pages. Today’s generation does not read. They want to be spoon fed. (Like policy ideas)
Woah woah tabernac! Still millions of books actively being sold and read, not a generational thing. It's easier now then ever with libraries stocking e-books, and a lot of people actively hate the 'quick news' and sound bite fad (which isn't new, but really fine tuned with the advent of the radio and then television).

Precis, abstracts, summaries etc aren't new concept, and it's pretty normal if you are going to drop a reference into reinforce your arguement to highlight key facts that support it. No need to start inter-generational feuds. Lots of people across all age spectrums want spoon fed, and is exactly why sometimes platforms target different age groups using specific policies, because a number of people will vote for something in their best interest, regardless of what the rest of the platform is.

<<paywall>>
If link doesn't work, text also attached for purposes of research, private study or education under the Fair Dealing provisions of Canada's Copyright Act.

Attachments

• thestar.com-While Canada sent hundreds of millions in aid to Jordan its king grew his collecti...pdf
    174.2 KB · Views: 1
Back