• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Foreign Interference (General)

Instead of fretting over the hard part involving closely-held information about politicians, start with the easy part by disclosing loudly and widely the identities of all the Chinese state-owned or -aligned entities and where they are operating, all of their subsidiaries, and all of the Canadians openly involved in those entities' lobbying efforts. The US doesn't have a problem with this; why should we?

I think you're missing the point. So, we release the name of Joey Smallmouth, CPC MP for Bass River. His PRC handlers go "hey, woah... how'd they figure that one out?" They go digging and find we turned one of theirs, even unwittingly. All the Parliamentary privilege in the world won't save that PRC national from Makarov round to the back of the head.
I don’t think he’s missing the point. I think Canadians are being incredibly naive as to the extent that the PRC is taking hybridized action to compromise Canada’s parliamentary institutions.

Would you rather we have Chinese agents (explicitly or in effect) voted into our next Parliament, or have Canada turn the light on inside the closet and see what foreign cockroaches scurry away?

I’m not being deliberately callous against sources who may be potentially compromised, but people have to realize the extent to which institutional compromise at home has already occurred and and what should be done to keep Canada from full compromise.

I think you're missing the point. So, we release the name of Joey Smallmouth, CPC MP for Bass River. His PRC handlers go "hey, woah... how'd they figure that one out?" They go digging and find we turned one of theirs, even unwittingly. All the Parliamentary privilege in the world won't save that PRC national from Makarov round to the back of the head.
I totally get it. I care more about fixing our system and stomping the ongoing interference than I do about a PRC Nationals life.

We shouldn't let our corrupted politicians walk away with "retiring to spend more time with family" because a citizen in another country might get hurt.

Hell our own politicians were ready to let Canadian citizens rot in a Chinese prison longer (increasingly putting their life at risk) because releasing them would make their political opponents look good. Maybe me not caring about that PRC national makes me just as bad but if Canada keeps heading down the path were on I foresee more and more of our own citizens getting hurt.

I totally get it. I care more about fixing our system and stomping the ongoing interference than I do about a PRC Nationals life.

We shouldn't let our corrupted politicians walk away with "retiring to spend more time with family" because a citizen in another country might get hurt.

Hell our own politicians were ready to let Canadian citizens rot in a Chinese prison longer (increasingly putting their life at risk) because releasing them would make their political opponents look good. Maybe me not caring about that PRC national makes me just as bad but if Canada keeps heading down the path were on I foresee more and more of our own citizens getting hurt.

You've said it better than I could.

Release the names.

Which is all true…most likely, however a Canadian shrug and an “oh well, what can you do?” doesn’t cut it, especially as Canadians prepare for the Federal vote.

At the very least, I expect the government to direct a ‘sensitivity analysis’ to determine the risk to intelligence sources that a range of disclosure options might/would incur and determine where the acceptable risk level is/would be, so that Canadian’s don’t end up voting for an MP who could be anything from a compromised candidate to a full-on colluding foreign agent.
Is it not up to the party leader to sign each candidate's nomination papers? So ask a simple question of those whose names have been placed on the list: do you wish to proceed with your nomination because, if you do, you will have to go through a security vetting. If they say yes, do it. If they say no then they can come up with the reason why they have declined the nomination.

To add further to my previous note. There is even a ready-made PR statement. Candidate X wants to ensure his prospective constituents that his loyalty to Canada has not been compromised in any way so he has requested a security vetting by CSIS

Is it not up to the party leader to sign each candidate's nomination papers? So ask a simple question of those whose names have been placed on the list: do you wish to proceed with your nomination because, if you do, you will have to go through a security vetting. If they say yes, do it. If they say no then they can come up with the reason why they have declined the nomination.
Don’t know, likely not even the same between parties. Does anyone have any trust in Trudeau that he would even cause such a question to be asked of any Liberal candidate in the next election?? Some parties (LPC) even have gone as far as to ensure the leader’s power is absolute and can’t be challenged as it could be in the past version of Canada’s Westminster Parliamentary system.

Hey! Joey is one of the best MPs that Bass River ever elected!

... Does anyone have any trust in Trudeau that he would even cause such a question to be asked of any Liberal candidate in the next election?? ...
No, but to be fair to PMJT, I've yet to hear any political leader of any colour jersey say they like the idea of federal legislation restricting their practice of small-p politics. I stand to be corrected on this, though, given a recent 3-week gap in reading/keeping abreast.
Instead of fretting over the hard part involving closely-held information about politicians, start with the easy part by disclosing loudly and widely the identities of all the Chinese state-owned or -aligned entities and where they are operating, all of their subsidiaries, and all of the Canadians openly involved in those entities' lobbying efforts. The US doesn't have a problem with this; why should we?
That's part of the whole "transparency registry" thing out there, but that still needs work according to at least some ....

Last edited:
Except a lot of that Intelligence isn’t Canadian, it is sourced by other nations and as such Canada cannot release it or endanger it without consent from the nation who provided it.

Again this isn’t solely a Canadian decision or issue.

Hell our own politicians were ready to let Canadian citizens rot in a Chinese prison longer (increasingly putting their life at risk) because releasing them would make their political opponents look good. Maybe me not caring about that PRC national makes me just as bad but if Canada keeps heading down the path we’re on I foresee more and more of our own citizens getting hurt.
Well maybe don’t go to China, Russia etc

At the end of the day while you may not care about a source, the source may have a lot more value than Canadian politicians.

Even if it was solely Canadian intelligence they generate the information, burning sources isn’t a great way to get more. Sometimes while it stinks you need to sit on some intelligence simply because there is a bigger picture.

On an unrelated topic - single vehicle crashes and heart attacks, solo drownings in a pool etc are a thing.

And again I remind people:

Lord Palmerston​

1. We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow.
    speech, House of Commons, 1 March 1848

Ultimately every sovereign nation marches alone. Strong nations get to pick and choose the where and when of their alliances.

On an unrelated topic - single vehicle crashes and heart attacks, solo drownings in a pool, falling out a window, etc are a thing.
😉

To rebleat a point: the government is having a hard time dealing with Chinese interference because a lot of Liberals were on point getting fiscally stuck into China starting three decades ago. We probably don't need allied help to figure out who and where.
Yup. Remember, you can’t spell Power Corporation without c-h-i-n-a…(Assets Management Company - AMC)

1729611997028.jpeg

*And by Power Corporation we understand that to mean the empire chaired brothers Paul and André Desmarais (husband of Jean Chrétien’s daughter, France) and tied significantly to Europeam and particularly Asian (Chinese) ties…that loop back to Canada in not-insignificant ways, including underwriting and administering a large portion of Canada’s private health insurance services (Great West Life, Canada Life…sound familiar?)

😉

Yup. Remember, you can’t spell Power Corporation without c-h-i-n-a…(Assets Management Company - AMC)

View attachment 88600

*And by Power Corporation we understand that to mean the empire chaired brothers Paul and André Desmarais (husband of Jean Chrétien’s daughter, France) and tied significantly to Europeam and particularly Asian (Chinese) ties…that loop back to Canada in not-insignificant ways, including underwriting and administering a large portion of Canada’s private health insurance services (Great West Life, Canada Life…sound familiar?)

My nominee for Canada's Eminence Grise

Back