• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged

MCG said:
Rental cost of any government building cannot under-cut local market rates.

Well, not quite ANY building. Rates for Single Quarters are still determined nationally, which is the justification for why single living in members are not eligible for PLD. I suspect that the CF can get away with national rates for this because the long term objective (at least the one spelled out in Accommodation 2020) is to eventually get all trained single personnel out of the shacks.

Is that a stopgap solution for Cold Lake until PLD is fixed? Build a ton of single quarters and start only posting in guys who are single? Or does that constitute discrimination based on family status?

Ostrozac said:
Well, not quite ANY building. Rates for Single Quarters are still determined nationally, which is the justification for why single living in members are not eligible for PLD. I suspect that the CF can get away with national rates for this because the long term objective (at least the one spelled out in Accommodation 2020) is to eventually get all trained single personnel out of the shacks.

Is that a stopgap solution for Cold Lake until PLD is fixed? Build a ton of single quarters and start only posting in guys who are single? Or does that constitute discrimination based on family status?

I assume, and I sure hope I'm not wrong, that you are being sarcastic with regard to "posting in only singles". If they think that's a viable solution they may as well cease flying and shut the base down. Because those are the majority of the people that are leaving for the patch as they can deal with the long shifts, live in camps, and often have enough money put aside to pay their own moving expenses should they be breaking their contract. As a single person in Cold Lake I'll be blunt and say that having extra disposable income does not necessarily make living here any better. For clarification I don't hate the area or the job, and will leave via release the day I feel I've had enough (as opposed to stay and b**ch and complain for years like many others), but there's not exactly an influx of people civilian, military, or otherwise choosing to move to Cold Lake for reasons other than work. If I had wanted to live in a smaller, quiet community of similar size Fort Saskatchewan would be my first choice being right outside Edmonton.

So discrimination based on family status? I would say so. As it is I volunteer happily to cover shifts for guys with kids. Most return the favour and the ones that don't will never get the time of day from me again. At the end of the day though it was their choice to have a family. And if I can suck up Cold Lake for 7 years and counting they can do the same.

CDNAIRFORCE said:
I assume, and I sure hope I'm not wrong, that you are being sarcastic with regard to "posting in only singles".

It wasn't quite sarcasm -- I was just throwing it out as a potential option to be explored. Your answers certainly explain how it wouldn't be feasible or practical, so I think we can cross that COA off the list.

If they built a bunch of modern shacks, had good food at the mess, and paid for R&Q as part of the posting...I'd go! It could be like the Air Force equivalent to a camp job in the Oil patch. I would happily bank spec pay and work on jets. Run a bus route to Edmonton on weekends, and it might actually be enjoyable.

...but that will never happen.

Guy who is retiring came back from the release section today, says there have been 83 VRs so far this month wing-wide.

"We'll just recruit more" he says.  :nod:

Ten days CONFINEMENT.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

LINK

Busking soldier gets 10 days of confinement

Jordan Small, QMI Agency
First posted:  Friday, January 31, 2014 10:33 PM EST  | Updated:  Friday, January 31, 2014 10:42 PM EST

COLD LAKE, Alta. — Alberta’s busking soldier was officially sentenced on Jan. 31 for his protest of rising rent costs on 4 Wing Cold Lake.

Cpl. Darenn Tremblay was assigned 10 days’ confinement to barracks following his summary trial in front of several dozen of his peers.

After presiding officer Lt-Col Derek Gowanlock read the accusing evidence, Tremblay admitted responsibility.

The 10-day confinement, which will start immediately, means Tremblay must stay within the 4 Wing base boundaries. He will continue his daily operations at engine bay at 1 Air Maintenance Squadron.

The 25-year-old was accused of attempting to influence public policy by communicating criticism of the Canadian Armed Forces’ compensation and benefits policy to the prejudice of good order and discipline on Jan. 9, 2014 on a sidewalk in Cold Lake, Alta.

On the date of the protest, Tremblay played his guitar and placed an upturned combat helmet on the sidewalk alongside a sign reading: “I am in the Canadian Forces posted to Cold Lake with a family. Any spare change will help.”

More on LINK.

George Wallace said:
Ten days DETENTION.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

LINK

More on LINK.

It is ten day's CB, which used to equate to extra work and drill, not ten day's detention. There's a big difference for those not familiar with military terminology.

CDNAIRFORCE said:
I assume, and I sure hope I'm not wrong, that you are being sarcastic with regard to "posting in only singles". If they think that's a viable solution they may as well cease flying and shut the base down. Because those are the majority of the people that are leaving for the patch as they can deal with the long shifts, live in camps, and often have enough money put aside to pay their own moving expenses should they be breaking their contract. As a single person in Cold Lake I'll be blunt and say that having extra disposable income does not necessarily make living here any better. For clarification I don't hate the area or the job, and will leave via release the day I feel I've had enough (as opposed to stay and b**ch and complain for years like many others), but there's not exactly an influx of people civilian, military, or otherwise choosing to move to Cold Lake for reasons other than work. If I had wanted to live in a smaller, quiet community of similar size Fort Saskatchewan would be my first choice being right outside Edmonton.

So discrimination based on family status? I would say so. As it is I volunteer happily to cover shifts for guys with kids. Most return the favour and the ones that don't will never get the time of day from me again. At the end of the day though it was their choice to have a family. And if I can suck up Cold Lake for 7 years and counting they can do the same.

The last part of your comment is one of ignorance. I will chalk it up to you being the type who will forever remain single. Saying that, you want to venture a guess why folks get married and have kids? I heard that crap since when I joined some decades ago. If the military wanted you to have a family, they'd issue you one and so on. So sad to see you are carrying on that perochial tradition.

Since when are summary trials held "in front of dozens of his peers"?  Every one I was ever part of, both hatless and hatted participation, was held behind closed doors.  Was this maybe done to send a message?

It's completely up to the Presiding Officer. The great majority of the summary trials at my current unit, along with all the ones on my last tour, were run with maximum attendance expected based on the capacity of the room. Seeing as one of the goals of sentencing is general deterrence, it makes sense.

And that the process should be transparent.  The last one I attended had civilians in attendance.  In fact, media is even allowed at a summary trial.

Kat Stevens said:
Since when are summary trials held "in front of dozens of his peers"?  Every one I was ever part of, both hatless and hatted participation, was held behind closed doors.  Was this maybe done to send a message?

My unit sends emails out with timings, everyone not tasked is expected to attend. We even have candid discussions with the CO/RSM afterwards what alternative sentences could have been used, and reasoning behind the verdict. Excellent PD for younger soldiers on the military justice system.

Trunk Monkey said:
Saying that, you want to venture a guess why folks get married and have kids?

So they become professional athletes and make million$.

Kat Stevens said:

Times have changed. All trials are now open as part of transparency.

Kat Stevens said:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-reports-pubs-military-law-summary-trial-level/ch-13-conduct-of-summary-trial.page?

Points 34 - 36

Bzzliteyr said:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-reports-pubs-military-law-summary-trial-level/ch-13-conduct-of-summary-trial.page?

Points 34 - 36

Okay, got it, thanks, been corrected 6 times now.  I've just never seen it done for summary trials, and I've been part of a fair few.

I know.. I just thought I'd pop that link up.  It's a great resource for anyone that may be in trouble.  It helped me know all about procedures for my trial and allowed me to know when things were done incorrectly.

All self taught, as my assisting officer was pretty useless...

As I understand it, public trials actually have their root in the Magna Carta.  The idea being that it is in the accused's best interest to have a public trial so that all can see that it is a fair process and he/she is not railroaded or doesn't just "disappear."

I understand where this kid is coming from,

The PLD needs to be revamped. I dont mean a year long study, I mean now, there are people in place that can handle this. The process for administrative and financial changes in the CF is ridiculously long. A member living in Cold Lake, should have the same amount of take home in his pocket as a member in Borden, Ottawa, Halifax, Gagetown, Valcartier, Victoria. This "you get posted here, Sucks to be you, your broke now" is ridiculous. There is no way the quality of life between two soldiers/airmen/seaman in two different postings can be as different as it is. The yeah it sucks you got posted there mentality needs to stop.
IE a Member in Ontario- 5100 a month, 3800 take home, thats decent, however an hour down the road in Quebec, 2900 a month, just because of where he/she was sent? Even with PLD, Which, is a taxable benefit.

As for the 129 he recieved, I agree he should of been, he spoke out. He brought attention to it. Good for him, There are other ways though.

Back