• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Desert Boots

Britney Spears said:
I don't mean to be facaecious sir, but I'd like to know what kind of crazy dress regs they follow in the air force. So you're allowed to wear issued DBs, but you haven't been issued them? I presume this is in garrision. If its the field, and you're allowed personally purchased DBs, would their country of origin really matter? and what does "the field" mean? Like walking across the tarmac?

You are pretty funny...i cant imagine how funny you will be when you get some time in !!!! I'de like to see you hangning in the door of a sea king in a high sea state................thats just as bad as the lawfeild corridor in a monsoon..........thank you very much

Since we can't go 2 posts without some kind of percieved slight against a branch/service/unit/cadet corps, I'll play the SHARP game in the interests of dispelling my own ignorance.

I'de like to see you hangning in the door of a sea king in a high sea state.

That will definetly be a test of my(or anyone's) testicular fortitude. While I'm rather ignorant of the workings of the air force (hence the question), I'll wager that the average Seaking crew is in a pretty damn dangerous profession, more so than most army members. So we are in agreement?

Still waiting for an answer to my question.

Oh, if it makes you feel any better, I puked my guts out on my first ride in a helicopter, and that was over land, on a sunny day.  ;D

1- No, it does not make me feel better.   In fact i didnt need to feel better ! That was not the point.

2- I only said that in response to your tarmac comment.   I used to be one of those army guys who continuously riduculed the air force.   Let me tell you what an education      actualy being aircrew has been !!

3- Yes, we are in agreement.

To get gack on the original subject, i find the sizing of desert boots to be quite different than normal (i.e.) conbat boots. I am a 9 in cbt boots and 7 for desert/jungle boots.   Before i hear anything about AF aircrews needing desert boots...........It's pretty hot in the arabian gulf !!

quote : "You don't have to be miserable and uncomfortable in the field to be 'hard'........Someone harder than I'll ever be, who's serving privately in Iraq at the moment taught me that........."

That reminds me of the phrase " there's a fine line between hard and stupid"

The normal desert boots are Altamas which are an ok (not great) boot.  Not much in the way of ankle support and the tread wears pretty fast.
I have been issued a pair of Belleville steel toed desert boots which are much nicer.  They are the same boot as the USMC issues only with a steel toe.  They are more comfortable and have more support than the Altamas.  I wore those for everyday use and found them more comfortable even with the steel toe.

Aesop081... .love that

quote : "You don't have to be miserable and uncomfortable in the field to be 'hard'........Someone harder than I'll ever be, who's serving privately in Iraq at the moment taught me that........."

Before i hear anything about AF aircrews needing desert boots...........It's pretty hot in the arabian gulf !!

Ugh, where did I ever attempt to ridicule the air force or imply that AF aircrews in the arabian gulf or anywhere didn't need anything? YES, the Air Force is great, I love the air force.  My question was: What kind of dress regs permit the wear of Non-issued(as in, not issued to you) DBs? Does he mean for field wear only? If so, then I think he should consider getting DBs that are better than the generally issued stuff, such as the types mentioned in the above post (not having any experience with those, I can only take ammotech90's word for it.). A little clarification would help in answering his question. Wearing Desert boots around the parade square in Winnipeg in Dec. wouldn't really fly with any of the dress regs I know of, regardless of whether they are "canadian" or not.

Ok,  just to clarify.

Desert Boots for field use....  tan DB's with my dress blues...oh boy, i can see the look on my CO's face! LOL  Although i am with an Air cadet unit at the present time we probably do as much, if not more than your typical Army cadet unit, thus the inquiry.  a buddy of mine has DB's and says they are super comfortable so i was looking at getting a pair.  As with the Air CIC we are only usually issued just a dress uniform and have to purchase our own field gear however must still adhere to CF dress regs.  In short i am on a research mission to see if the American DB"s are the same as Canadian ones (which aren't as readily available up here as on e bay)

so far i have concluded that they are both exactly the same.  Can. Gov. probably got them from the same manufactorer.  Hope this clears things up for ya B.Spears.

cheers guys

PV

Ah, Sorry, I'm not familiar with Cadets or CIC, so the "dress regs' part was a little confusing.

I only briefly examined an american DB some years ago, so memory's a little hazy, but they are outwardly identiical. IIRC,the Canadian version has an extra mesh liner on the inside that the US model does not. Either should suit your purposes just fine.  A few personal anecdotes:

- When sizing, wear the socks you would usually wear when its hot. Presumably, you haven't been issued desert socks.
- I don't like the laces that come with the boot. They are too slippery, and while easy to lace up, come loose rather quickly. Not very good for marching. I use the normal black cbt boot laces with mine now. YMMV.
- They are lighter and more supple than cbt boots, and ankle support is non-existant.

Hollywoodhitman...

Absolutely right about "snivel kit"...

Stupid name for luxury items in the field to begin with.  I had a wise old Sgt. that summed it up perfectly one particularly cold and wet ex.  "Only an idiot is uncomfortable in the field."

If you have the means to carry or transport such items, or can get away with wearing something better (mind you the kit issued now is WAY better than when I was in), then do it.

Another quick one to fly by everyone.  I take about a 12E in my standard issue black combat boots.  Desert boots are relatively the same size ? or should i go up or down ?  thanks guys

cheers

PV

PViddy,
As I read through the thread...as tedious as it is...the question that comes to mind over and over again is:

Why do you want them?

1. You are a CIC officer,
2. You look after Cadets,
3. There is only one small (true sand like) desert in Canada,
4. You aren't about to be deployed anywhere....

If its just to wear around during fd problems in the woods here, may I then suggest jungle boots or a black boot that would be much more comfortable, and not as hard on your feet and ankles as the current desert boots.

After all there is a reason why the CF Reg army only wears them in hot, dry and dusty environments.

Armymedic said:
3. There is only one small (true sand like) desert in Canada,

Pretty much anyone who has them and can get away with wearing them wears them in Shilo.

2 words.  snivel kit.  yesah i am only CIC blah blah, i have heard it all before.  cadets, especially my unit in particular will go out on field EX's as much as a CF Res. Regiment (i'm probably stretching that a bit, but we go on 4-5 field EX's a year) with current budget constraints.  I have 3 sets of black combat boots, and i they are awesome.  I want somthing light weight and cool for the summer and i will have an opportunity to buy some DB's for a relatively good price, thus my post regarding size and technical questions.  I have some friends in our host regiment that swear by them so i think they will be worth tthe bit of money paid for them.  Hope this justify's things for ya..LOL

cheers
PV

I didn't think the CF ever issued the black and green jungle boots ?

cheers

PV

PViddy, I was issued a set around 1996 prior to going on ex in Camp Lejune

[quote author=PViddy ]
I didn't think the CF ever issued the black and green jungle boots ?
[/quote]

In 1989 I was issued green jungle boots for Snowgoose 52. That is green tops & black leather bottoms.

forward air controllers, UAV operators

Not to nit-pick, and apologies for going off-topic, but the FAC role is arty, and the fate of the UAVs is still being tossed around between army and air force.  If it does go army, the artillery is getting it (in fact, 1 horse is building up a UAV troop right now).  This came directly from BGen Barabe, who I was sitting across the table from during breakfast in November 04 in Shilo.

meh, i tried!  LOL.  Army always get's the cool stuff  :) 

cheers

PV

Back