• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

It’s been mentioned up thread that in addition to the vehicles, we should be able to manufacture the turrets for the vehicles. I agree.
Turrets or Remote Weapons Stations? As I've noted previously, GDLS has already integrated the Moog Reconfigurable Integrated-Weapons Platform (RIwP) on the Stryker for their IM-SHORAD system. I'm assuming that the RWS would take up less internal space in the LAV than the turret basket and would be easier to upgrade to new weapons as the come available.

The IM-SHORAD system is equipped with a 30mm Autocannon, a dual Stinger launcher and a dual Hellfire launcher, but the advantage of this system is that it is designed to be reconfigurable and has lots of gun, missile and optics options available to fulfill a wide variety of potential roles.

A LAV-AD could go with the same configuration as the IM-SHORAD Stryker, or if it better suits our AD Command and Control systems we could go with a quad Stinger configuration instead.

A LAV-AT version could use Hellfire, TOW or Javelin missiles....or a combination of these.

A LAV-UAV version could be equipped with tube-launched Coyote UAVs for Recce, EW, C-UAS or Strike missions.

Bonus is that the same RWS could be installed on our TAPVs or on a light vehicle like the JLTV if we decide to go that route.

Turrets or Remote Weapons Stations? As I've noted previously, GDLS has already integrated the Moog Reconfigurable Integrated-Weapons Platform (RIwP) on the Stryker for their IM-SHORAD system. I'm assuming that the RWS would take up less internal space in the LAV than the turret basket and would be easier to upgrade to new weapons as the come available.

The IM-SHORAD system is equipped with a 30mm Autocannon, a dual Stinger launcher and a dual Hellfire launcher, but the advantage of this system is that it is designed to be reconfigurable and has lots of gun, missile and optics options available to fulfill a wide variety of potential roles.

A LAV-AD could go with the same configuration as the IM-SHORAD Stryker, or if it better suits our AD Command and Control systems we could go with a quad Stinger configuration instead.

A LAV-AT version could use Hellfire, TOW or Javelin missiles....or a combination of these.

A LAV-UAV version could be equipped with tube-launched Coyote UAVs for Recce, EW, C-UAS or Strike missions.

Bonus is that the same RWS could be installed on our TAPVs or on a light vehicle like the JLTV if we decide to go that route.
Are those GDLS produced RWS also built here in Canada?

Fantastic idea though! A common RWS that could be installed on LAVs and TAPV, and possibly JLTV or something similar. A capable system, commonality, that provides our units with a variety of additional options when engaging the enemy.

I’m a wee bit behind on RWS tech apparently. Thanks for the update :)

My main, overall point is along the same thing as FJAG’s.

If we simply changed some basic things about the way we do business, and we got away from our ‘Boom & Bust’ style of procurement - we could really grow, stabilize, and enhance employment opportunities around the country.

Building optics in Burlington, Ontario for example - which I had no idea.

Helicopters in Quebec. Planes in Quebec and Alberta. Ships in BC & Nova Scotia.

Light utility vehicles (like the MilCOTS, or their dark blue SUV’s you see at various Brigade HQ’s) that are built in Canada and can be taken into local dealerships.

C7 series (or whatever next gen rifle is selected down the road, same applies to C9 and C6) all produced in Ontario. Possibly frag grenades & concussion grenades/flashbangs also.

Etc, etc…

We will never have a huge defence industry by any means. But if we spread our purchases out, rather than how we do things now, it could go a long way to really stabilizing and enhancing our workforce/economy. (Sweden is a good example, perhaps?)

Perhaps then our governments would see defence as an investment rather than a sunk cost.

______

*I realize this has taken a turn away from discussing what we want our Army to look like in 2025. But it isn’t completely irrelevant either.

Perhaps we start to implement some of what is possible into our Force2025 vision - as it has just as much of a strategic effect on our defence capabilities as anything else.

Cheers lads 🍻

Are those GDLS produced RWS also built here in Canada?
No

Fantastic idea though! A common RWS that could be installed on LAVs and TAPV, and possibly JLTV or something similar. A capable system, commonality, that provides our units with a variety of additional options when engaging the enemy.
RWS still don't provide the same SA as turrets - and generally due to the size at least configurable.

My main, overall point is along the same thing as FJAG’s.

If we simply changed some basic things about the way we do business, and we got away from our ‘Boom & Bust’ style of procurement - we could really grow, stabilize, and enhance employment opportunities around the country.
That requires a multi-year long term Defense Commitment - and while one can blame the Politicians - Senior Leaders in the CF have been failing on this for years.
Building optics in Burlington, Ontario for example - which I had no idea.
Wescam is a subsidiary of L3 Harris - I wouldn't consider their ISR stuff to be solely made in Canada.

Helicopters in Quebec.
The Griffon was outdate the day the contract was inked - Boeing Vertol used to have a facility in Arnprior but I believe it was shuttered at least for production of anything Hook related year ago.

Planes in Quebec and Alberta.
Nothing in the fighter realm other than part pieces -
Ships in BC & Nova Scotia.
Which is a great start - I do wish there was a heavier armed AOSP variant - and the new Surface Combatant Ship was heavier and heavier armed - but that's just me -- also I'd wish for a true Amphibious TF and supporting assets there
Light utility vehicles (like the MilCOTS, or their dark blue SUV’s you see at various Brigade HQ’s) that are built in Canada and can be taken into local dealerships.

C7 series (or whatever next gen rifle is selected down the road, same applies to C9 and C6) all produced in Ontario.
Diemaco was spun off to Colt - Colt was bought by Cz - one needs to wonder how int he name of all that is holy, why they still retain the right of first refusal on CF Small Arms projects. I'm a full believer that small arms at the very least should be a nationally controlled item
Possibly frag grenades & concussion grenades/flashbangs also.
Not up to speed anymore on CDN made explosives and pyro - but their used to be domestic manufacturing.
Etc, etc…

We will never have a huge defence industry by any means. But if we spread our purchases out, rather than how we do things now, it could go a long way to really stabilizing and enhancing our workforce/economy. (Sweden is a good example, perhaps?)
Certain things need to be part of a countries domestic defense industrial base - other items need to be part of a national emergency structure with knowledge and ability to make
Perhaps then our governments would see defence as an investment rather than a sunk cost.

______
Sadly I don't think this happen without another major crisis - but one that is nearer and dearer to Canada.
*I realize this has taken a turn away from discussing what we want our Army to look like in 2025. But it isn’t completely irrelevant either.

Perhaps we start to implement some of what is possible into our Force2025 vision - as it has just as much of a strategic effect on our defence capabilities as anything else.

Cheers lads 🍻

rheinmetall-mission-master-ugv-warmate-uav-1170x610.jpg
img_0836.jpg
images

images
MM_04-300x215.jpg
MM_05-300x225.jpg
MM_07-300x237.jpg

Loitering Munitions, Surveillance, 2x 7 70mm, Log, 30mm, Spike/40mm, Comms. - UGVs based on the Argus. Prototypes in existence and field trials commenced.

You guys all did that about 60 pages ago....
What? Us? Noooooo....

(In all fairness, Reserve Force Restructure, C3 Replacement, TAPV, LAV 6.0, etc are pretty much all included under the far reaching umbrella of Force 2025. So it wasn't like we started talking about fighter jets in an infantry tactics thread THIS time...)

What? Us? Noooooo....

(In all fairness, Reserve Force Restructure, C3 Replacement, TAPV, LAV 6.0, etc are pretty much all included under the far reaching umbrella of Force 2025. So it wasn't like we started talking about fighter jets in an infantry tactics thread THIS time...)

Unless, of course, you choose to 'give them the whole nine yards' during the ambush :)

You guys all did that about 60 pages ago....
We could probably use an update on how the Army's own Force 2025 plan is progressing. We've pretty much run out of paper napkins for sketching out our own ideas.

That said, creating a viable domestic defence industry to support a long term Army equipping plan and sustainable support plan would seem to me to be something that the Army should be very much concerned in - even if not within in the very limited objectives of Force 2025.

In the words of my favourite Belzile and Rumsfeld quotes: "An Army that thinks small and plans for very little ..." and "You go to war with the army you have ..."

:cautious:

Actually not bad for a civilian effort.

My thoughts on logistic vehicles differ significantly from Canada's past line of thinking which consists of fleets of both standard military pattern (SMP) and commercial off the shelf (but militarized - MILCOTS) lines in weight ranges going from utility (around .25 to 1.5 ton capacity) to 1.25 to 1.5 ton (your basic pick up range), 2.5 ton, 5 ton (medium capacity) and 10 ton (heavy capacity).

My thoughts differ in that I don't simply want to give reservists trucks to provide them mobility, I want to equip them the same way as the Regular Force so that they can fully operationally capable and perform military missions particulalar to their specialty.

As far as the lines of vehicles go I'd firstly give up the give up the light utility vehicles and light support vehicles completely in favour of a single 4x4 light utility chassis in the 1.5 - 2 ton capacity range. Something in the nature of a JLTV but with a little more flexibility in body choices. Give it the basic frame and powertrain of, for example, a Ford F-350 with a modified suspension and standard belly plate to be mine resistant so that everything from the engine to the wheels, regardless of model, is standard. Then add specialized bodies from unarmoured to armoured and from basic utility (passenger) to basic utility (cargo), small CPs, ambulance. maint fitter, light infantry section vehicle, light wheeled reconnaissance etc etc. (in very, very round figures, we need about 4,000 of these)

Next create a basic tactical logistics line in say the 7.5 - 10 ton range and which would be the sole vehicle (save recovery) within all battalion sized units. Again a common mine resistant chassis suspension and powertrain and cab (either armoured or unarmoured) but specialized load beds from pallet to cargo with drop down benches for passengers to gun tractor det cab and ammo storage to specialized containers from everything from fitters to communications to secured stores etc. (again in very round figures I would guess we need about 4,000 of these as well plus some trailers)

The third line of vehicles would be heavy logistics line of around a 15 ton capacity. Same idea as the medium as to chassis, power train and cab with varying cargo configuration possibilities including a semi trailer capable one for both flatbed and containers. These would only be held at the brigade service battalion and any service support formations. (My guess is about 1,500 plus some trailers)

There is one additional limited class and if can be built from the heavy line with perhaps a much heavier powertrain that would be good. Basically it has two variants, one is a recovery vehicle with the capacity to handle up to the heaviest LAV we have in difficult terrain and the other is a Heavy Equipment Transport (HET) variant capable of handling the heaviest Leo 2 tank that we have. (my guess is around 100 - 125 recovery and 50 - 75 HETs)

The standardization into three fleets each based on its own common chassis and powertrain would greatly simplify both training of operators and maintainers and the maintenance system. If the powertrains come with few modifications from standard production lines then one can add on commercial maintenance support but, quite frankly I'm a firm believer that we need to a) simplify maintenance through standardized vehicle lines and b) train and man all our maintenance support in house through full-time military maintainers so that we can ensure the deployability of our maintenance system. A 100% simplified SMP fleet will still be fully able to support any and all domestic operations.

I'll be the first to agree that others have a much different view of how the Army should handle vehicle fleets and maintenance. Unfortunately while their views may prevail and may be feasible in a peacetime army, they will not enhance operational capabilities which, after all, is why the government spends the big bucks on us.

🍻
Hello FJAG,

I think we're thinking the same general thoughts on vehicles although you have superior knowledge of the fleet and especially terminology currently used.

The one issue I have is one that we have faced often which is the degree of "addons" and associated cost. If we use the 4x4 light utility chassis (i.e. 1 ton gas or diesel truck) and add a mine resistant plate + specialized bodies there can be a very significant cost creep that is often ignored when counting units. If I use an $80,000 baseline cost for a 1 ton diesel truck but have to add a custom topper to every unit and bumper/light package/tow winch/blast shield to each I'm guessing that truck has jumped closer to the $120,000 range...a 50% increase in costs without a corresponding increase in mission capacity. I think of my issued work truck...fancy light bar and bumper package someone figured was "needed" and was over $26,000 for add-ons...with no change in how I do my work and only limited assistance with the light bar. Multiply that level of "mission creep" and the local fleet now has to be either worked longer to pay off in both miles and years or you move to a similar unit that is modern and mechanically reliable. Do I need a $25,000 custom gear topper for carrying equipment and webbing or would a $4,000 standard canopy cover meet 99% of needs? Yes...some functions are needed....a flat deck instead of box can be invaluable at times. A modular medical unit that be slid into a box is priceless...but these should be exception and not the norm.

Common trucks for use on both Reserve and Regular force operations is nice but I think is overly simplistic. Even if a single supplier, e.g. Ford, was chosen there will be a difference between model years of trucks that will result in them driving slightly different. So differences in modifications are fine as long as we also acknowledge that the driver will have to learn the following on any vehicle - model size, year, tire conditions, ground conditions, fueling, and mission load. I can take an experienced truck driver and flip them to a different but somewhat similar vehicle easy allowing for some local familiarity training but I cannot assume any driver will be able to operate anywhere perfectly because that's the unit in the local armory in downtown city X uses under perfect conditions. Hence I'm less concerned if Reserve units run purely civilian models 90% of the time and then shift to the modified fleet at a central base on annual exercise because if nothing else they need to adjust to the different road/ground conditions.

In regards to the basic simple people mover...yes 4-5,000 trucks is a good estimate. I would however completely eliminate service work beyond very limited functions and instead use the civilian market place for this part/service work as I would hope the Armed Forces are not deploying to active danger zones in pickups again (shades of the Iltus)

As a person moves to tactical logistics and heavy logistics unfortunately the options become much more limited and for these I would put much greater emphasis on moving towards a common fleet that would be the model expected to be deployed on missions. I think of the US 6x6 truck as a good example of medium level logistics and would agree a significant number are needed but would guess more in the 2,500 range as opposed to your estimate of 4,000.

Heavy logistics...the anomaly and big stuff. 15 ton is still a medium truck (Class 3 license) and I think we're into more of a civilian equivalent class 1 fleet. Think 65 ton bed trucks with cranes, tractor trailer with scissor lift flatbed for hauling D8 bulldozers around, and even worse when you get to tank recovery vehicles and transporters. I personally think more tractor trailer logistics because of the more versatile set up...same tractor can haul a fuel trailer or flat deck or low boy trailer...but it also speaks to a higher level discussion needed on how this would align with rail transport, cargo transport aircraft, maritime support, and civilian contractor support. I don't have experience in those fields and while it'd be a great topic to talk over a beer it needs to be reviewed by experts. What is the logistical needs of a deployed battalion? armored brigade? in terms of tons/day...how many trucks is that...of what configuration...and supply, and support, and surplus needed to account for wastage? One advantage of heavy logistics being tractor trailer based however is that civilian contractors may be able to surge if needed to move a brigade across the nation or establish a major supply dump mid point to front lines from a port. Still in the 2500 units needed especially if trailers are counted separate from tractors (which they should)

Thinking this over coffee however is only part of the issue as there are some key mission definitions needed, especially for the Reg. Force, that are currently absent. If the main mission is Canada then NATO then X....then that greatly changes what units are to be considered for use in Canada and we should be looking at buying NATO compatible units only (i.e. More LAV's) and focusing on the first mission, then either ready brigade being specifically trained on mission #2, and rest monitored by options by rotation (artic training? US integration? Counter Terrorism?) while rotating roles within unit designation to ensure the knowledge spreads out over time (i.e. 3x light battalions with 1 Canada focus, 1 transition to specialty mission, and last on NATO duty). If FORCE 2025 does not clearly define the mission priorities we can talk logistics all day long and still not be effective as political decisions get made.

Unless, of course, you choose to 'give them the whole nine yards' during the ambush :)

Oh! You mean like 29 Cdo. Or 5 RA? Yeah. We can bring F-35s into an infantry discussion. No worries. One STA patrol with its own F35 on overwatch. :giggle: :giggle:

And while we're at it, seeing as how the Brits want to be so helpful, maybe the RM can show Canadians how to operate in the actual Arctic. Or maybe the Norwegians can help out.

I don't know why, but the 2nd guy in the "Forging the Arctic Commando" video seems utterly badass.

I don't know if it's that his accent sounds so proper, or that he speaks more slowly, or that he seems like the more 'refined gentleman' type (perhaps it's all 3 of these?) - but of everybody who speaks to the camera in that video, I feel like this guy has "Kingsman" written all over him.

Oh! You mean like 29 Cdo. Or 5 RA? Yeah. We can bring F-35s into an infantry discussion. No worries. One STA patrol with its own F35 on overwatch. :giggle: :giggle:

And while we're at it, seeing as how the Brits want to be so helpful, maybe the RM can show Canadians how to operate in the actual Arctic. Or maybe the Norwegians can help out.

Believe me, Arctic Norway in the winter time is quite different from operating in the Canadian Arctic.

For one thing, if the British deployed straight to our Arctic with the kit they've got on issue they'd probably be dead in a couple of days. It's meant for a maximum of about minus 30, and designed for fast movement through the mountains/ forests on skis. Leather ski-march boots, flimsy tarps for shelters, yay!

On the other hand, working with the Canadians in Arctic Norway was somewhat painful to watch as their kit was so heavy and awkward (e.g., giant parkas and snowshoes) that they were usually road bound/ great targets.

Hello FJAG,

I think we're thinking the same general thoughts on vehicles although you have superior knowledge of the fleet and especially terminology currently used.

The one issue I have is one that we have faced often which is the degree of "addons" and associated cost. If we use the 4x4 light utility chassis (i.e. 1 ton gas or diesel truck) and add a mine resistant plate + specialized bodies there can be a very significant cost creep that is often ignored when counting units. If I use an $80,000 baseline cost for a 1 ton diesel truck but have to add a custom topper to every unit and bumper/light package/tow winch/blast shield to each I'm guessing that truck has jumped closer to the $120,000 range...a 50% increase in costs without a corresponding increase in mission capacity. I think of my issued work truck...fancy light bar and bumper package someone figured was "needed" and was over $26,000 for add-ons...with no change in how I do my work and only limited assistance with the light bar. Multiply that level of "mission creep" and the local fleet now has to be either worked longer to pay off in both miles and years or you move to a similar unit that is modern and mechanically reliable. Do I need a $25,000 custom gear topper for carrying equipment and webbing or would a $4,000 standard canopy cover meet 99% of needs? Yes...some functions are needed....a flat deck instead of box can be invaluable at times. A modular medical unit that be slid into a box is priceless...but these should be exception and not the norm.
It's been done - but the major problem with that - it the chassis was never made for the weight over roads let alone any off-road.
The fleets last a SUPER short time -- and while it can work for some small specialized elements - it doesn't work for a conventional military.

Common trucks for use on both Reserve and Regular force operations is nice but I think is overly simplistic. Even if a single supplier, e.g. Ford, was chosen there will be a difference between model years of trucks that will result in them driving slightly different. So differences in modifications are fine as long as we also acknowledge that the driver will have to learn the following on any vehicle - model size, year, tire conditions, ground conditions, fueling, and mission load. I can take an experienced truck driver and flip them to a different but somewhat similar vehicle easy allowing for some local familiarity training but I cannot assume any driver will be able to operate anywhere perfectly because that's the unit in the local armory in downtown city X uses under perfect conditions. Hence I'm less concerned if Reserve units run purely civilian models 90% of the time and then shift to the modified fleet at a central base on annual exercise because if nothing else they need to adjust to the different road/ground conditions.
No - you need a similar force - while I am often characterized as a light champion - a F550 (etc) isn't a military vehicle - and should never try to be shoehorned into that role -- the Res need the same equipment scale as the Reg Force - or you may as well save a ton of money on those personnel.

In regards to the basic simple people mover...yes 4-5,000 trucks is a good estimate. I would however completely eliminate service work beyond very limited functions and instead use the civilian market place for this part/service work as I would hope the Armed Forces are not deploying to active danger zones in pickups again (shades of the Iltus)
Iltis ;)
Soft Skin vehicles aren't necessary a bad thing - but everything needs to be viewed from threat dependent.
Soft Skin low vis vehicles can be significantly better at many things than hardened low vis vehicles - because at the end of the day it really isn't hard to spot an armor package if you know what you are looking for. That said - the requirement for true Low Vis for the conventional force is slim to nil in most theaters.

As a person moves to tactical logistics and heavy logistics unfortunately the options become much more limited and for these I would put much greater emphasis on moving towards a common fleet that would be the model expected to be deployed on missions. I think of the US 6x6 truck as a good example of medium level logistics and would agree a significant number are needed but would guess more in the 2,500 range as opposed to your estimate of 4,000.

Heavy logistics...the anomaly and big stuff. 15 ton is still a medium truck (Class 3 license) and I think we're into more of a civilian equivalent class 1 fleet. Think 65 ton bed trucks with cranes, tractor trailer with scissor lift flatbed for hauling D8 bulldozers around, and even worse when you get to tank recovery vehicles and transporters. I personally think more tractor trailer logistics because of the more versatile set up...same tractor can haul a fuel trailer or flat deck or low boy trailer...but it also speaks to a higher level discussion needed on how this would align with rail transport, cargo transport aircraft, maritime support, and civilian contractor support. I don't have experience in those fields and while it'd be a great topic to talk over a beer it needs to be reviewed by experts. What is the logistical needs of a deployed battalion? armored brigade? in terms of tons/day...how many trucks is that...of what configuration...and supply, and support, and surplus needed to account for wastage? One advantage of heavy logistics being tractor trailer based however is that civilian contractors may be able to surge if needed to move a brigade across the nation or establish a major supply dump mid point to front lines from a port. Still in the 2500 units needed especially if trailers are counted separate from tractors (which they should)
I would go with one type -
You can get many variants out of it - with a common chassis - and the 6x6 does nothing well.

Thinking this over coffee however is only part of the issue as there are some key mission definitions needed, especially for the Reg. Force, that are currently absent. If the main mission is Canada then NATO then X....then that greatly changes what units are to be considered for use in Canada and we should be looking at buying NATO compatible units only (i.e. More LAV's) and focusing on the first mission, then either ready brigade being specifically trained on mission #2, and rest monitored by options by rotation (artic training? US integration? Counter Terrorism?) while rotating roles within unit designation to ensure the knowledge spreads out over time (i.e. 3x light battalions with 1 Canada focus, 1 transition to specialty mission, and last on NATO duty). If FORCE 2025 does not clearly define the mission priorities we can talk logistics all day long and still not be effective as political decisions get made.
In true CF fashion - the expectation from the Politicians is ALL OF THE ABOVE...
So you need to figure out how to do that, without growing PY or the Budget - because most likely PY are going down - and the Budget is frozen

Believe me, Arctic Norway in the winter time is quite different from operating in the Canadian Arctic.

For one thing, if the British deployed straight to our Arctic with the kit they've got on issue they'd probably be dead in a couple of days. It's meant for a maximum of about minus 30, and designed for fast movement through the mountains/ forests on skis. Leather ski-march boots, flimsy tarps for shelters, yay!

On the other hand, working with the Canadians in Arctic Norway was somewhat painful to watch as their kit was so heavy and awkward (e.g., giant parkas and snowshoes) that they were usually road bound/ great targets.
Key point that is often missed is the need to tailor ones PPE for the environment -- there are not three temperature zones - Desert - Temperate - Arctic - and you hit on a number of things where the CF Arctic kit is generally good for higher arctic work - but sucks in the "Mid Cold" areas -
This is very visible to CF members working with the USMC at their Mountain Warfare Training Center, going to Norway, or other non high arctic winter deployments.

Great vids. Thanks for posting them.

Key point that is often missed is the need to tailor ones PPE for the environment -- there are not three temperature zones - Desert - Temperate - Arctic - and you hit on a number of things where the CF Arctic kit is generally good for higher arctic work - but sucks in the "Mid Cold" areas -
This is very visible to CF members working with the USMC at their Mountain Warfare Training Center, going to Norway, or other non high arctic winter deployments.

The USMC were the enemy force for most of our end of winter deployment NATO exercises, usually around Bardufoss airfield.

They were really good at simulating how the Russian would operate, which was kind of them. We could easily ski through mountain ranges on the flanks and cut them up on the roads they couldn't leave.

However, they had tons of kit. I recall one attack with the Royal Marines where we did quite well, as we thought, having inserted via landing craft at night and captured a bridge. As we were standing around feeling smug I was talking to one of the (very polite) USMC Officers and he said 'yeah, you guys were good, but we had a squadron of F18s blow you up before you got here.'

The USMC were the enemy force for most of our end of winter deployment NATO exercises, usually around Bardufoss airfield.

They were really good at simulating how the Russian would operate, which was kind of them. We could easily ski through mountain ranges on the flanks and cut them up on the roads they couldn't leave.

However, they had tons of kit. I recall one attack with the Royal Marines where we did quite well, as we thought, having inserted via landing craft at night and captured a bridge. As we were standing around feeling smug I was talking to one of the (very polite) USMC Officers and he said 'yeah, you guys were good, but we had a squadron of F18s blow you up before you got here.'
They have learned a lot over the years.

Hello FJAG,

The vehicle has to work. (Tires inflated, engine cranks, heater works, brakes work, comfortable seats).

The vehicle has to suit the task and the environment. And the environmental protection increases from keeping out the sun, the heat, the cold, the wind, the dust, the rain, the snow, the hail, the rocks, the blast, the shrapnel, the bullets, the HEAT rounds, the APFSDS rounds.

The vehicle, like every other tool required, has to be able to get to the job site. And it can't be assumed that it will be able to self-deploy because most of Canada, and most of the World, does not have roads. Even in the US. And Canada is on an island, with its own Archipelago. It is surrounded by, and separated from the rest of the world by, water. It is separated from much of itself by trees, rocks, ice, water and bogs.

We spend much of our time considering Europe and conflict there. But Europe is the anomaly. Especially the traditional "cockpits". They have been largely covered with asphalt since WW1. The spaces between roads are short. Well within the range of the available array of direct fired weapons and certainly within the range of all artillery - even when you define artillery as a 5 km effector like the 81mm mortar or the MANPADs Stinger or the Spikes, TOWs and Javelins of the world. It seems quite likely that we will be approaching a field from one road while the opposition will be approaching the same field on another road and that we will engage each other across the field with direct fire weapons and never actually enter the field. Europe has about 6,000,000 km of road and some 50-100,000 km of Highways. That ground is regularly covered by civilian wheeled vehicles. In my opinion it is very unlikely that even in a protracted war that that entire network will be destroyed, or even badly damaged. And the damaged areas are more likely to resemble construction sites regularly traveled by dump-trucks and cement mixers.

Dump-trucks seem to me to be a good starting point for the "middle of the road" (yes) vehicle.

The next point is Seacans, Containers, TEUs, ISOs. Small stuff should fit inside them. Big stuff should carry them. Shelters should be them.

Now, can you put an armoured SeaCan on the back of a Dump-Truck with an armoured crew cab and mount an RWS. If you can then you have created a LAV. Or a Boxer. Or a LAV 700.

You now have something that can support the fight in any region that has a well developed road network. Like Europe. The US. The St Lawrence. The Lower Mainland. The Prairies. That force could also operate anywhere there is a hard dry surface - like Afghanistan, or Mali, or Somalia, or Australia. But it has to get there and it has to get there in a timely fashion in large numbers. (Lots of ships and large planes). Or it has to be prepositioned in the areas (Lots of warehouses, spare kit, security guards and maintainers).

For the rest of the world, for the rest of Canada surface transport is entirely a local affair. Roads are likely to be short, rough, rutted tracks. With gravel if you are lucky. Surface water is unreliable, assuming that it is not ice and mushy and covered in snow and at risk of break up. Or the sand bars and rocks, even the course, have shifted - or that there is enough water in it to float your boat at all. Those rivers worked well for small, shallow draft boats, like canoes and York boats, but couldn't be made useful for paddle steamers. Those plans always ran aground.

The railways did the job that canals were able to do in Europe. As long as there was enough trade, enough people to pay for them. The same goes for highways.

But with a couple of hundred thousand people spread over 8 to 10,000,000 km2 of broken and interrupted rocks, ice, trees, bogs, lakes and rivers air transport is the only real, in my opinion, practicable solution. And that means a heliborne force strongly supported by a fleet of tactical airlifters that can operate from short, rough air strips.

It also means that the surface vehicles, (boats, wheels or tracks) need to be air transportable, geared towards short range travel over rough terrain and narrow tracks. And they need to be sturdy enough that they won't break easily but cheap enough so that they can be replaced on a regular schedule or when they do break. Weaponry has to be acquired with the available vehicles in mind. Tactics adjusted to suit. Organizations and training will the follow.

Once such an air transportable capability is established then it can be deployed anywhere on the globe.

I understand that a heliborne force is actually an expensive proposition. The helicopters themselves are hard to transport and their support system is very expensive. But they have they advantage that they can be based on any flat surface, ashore or afloat to which they can fly.

Just like big ships carry little skiffs so big aircraft can carry little helicopters. It is one, very expensive, method of transporting some helicopters. But most helicopters will have to go by sea. But maybe not all the way on one ship. Leapfrogging hundreds of kilometers at a time from shore to ship,, ship to shore, shore to shore, ship to ship, and ultimately ship to shore is at least as practicable as disassembling helicopters, freighting them and then reassembling them. And the ships supporting them as Forward Refuelling Points, floating gas stations, could be military ships but could also be civilian ships as they don't have to approach hostile shores. The helicopters can launch at long range. Or they can leapfrog to the shore via any military vessel with a flight deck.

Once the helicopter is ashore in its new theater then it forms the base of a very flexible force. And its bases, if properly protected by GBAD form hard firing points for Long Range Precision Fires -preferably in heli-portable modules that can be carried by truck when circumstances permit or require.

A model force structure for Canada is not the US Stryker Brigades, and certainly not their Armored Brigades, not even the 82nd Airborne. Not even the USMC. The better models are the 10th Mountain and the 101st Airborne. Stiffened with a LAV/Leo capability perhaps. But designed to operate with helicopters, small craft and vehicles, protected by a deployable, layered GBAD and LRPF system and with air support from overwatching F-35s, MMAs, RPASs and Satellites.

Two well supported heliborne light infantry brigades and a LAV/Leo brigade with a pair of battle group sized spare kit sets, one pre-positioned in Europe and another in a warehouse in a railhead in Canada connected to a floating warehouse on each coast would be a useful structure. With a 2025-2030 planning horizon.

I think a lot of good work could be completed by 2025. Up to and including the supply of the floating warehouses and the prepositioning in Europe and the Canadian Depot.

And the militia, trains for the light battle. The one they are most likely to fight at home. And one that will be useful in many scenarios overseas. And one that would form the basis for heavying up if the fight requires more heavy forces, or just replacements to man the heavier forces.

Back