• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Int Op trade tell me more and more reg force please

Robodad said:
Here's the DIN link to the Military Intelligence School (CFSMI)

http://kingston.mil.ca/cfsmi%2Dermfc/contact_e.asp

Dead link for me....

Greymatters said:
Not to disagree but the level of physical activity required to do an Int Op job is highly dependent on what element you work in and what position you are working at.

Regardless of where you end up, three important things should be kept in mind .
1. About half of the trade keeps themselves in good shape, while the other half tends to build up spare tires.  Which side do you want to be on?
2. It doesnt matter if you are limited by a physical disability, what matters is that you dont use it as an excuse to not do any physical activity.
3. A lot of Int work is dependent on the impressions you make on the audience the product is being delivered to; looking fit, even if your activites are limited, makes a big difference in how quickly you get accepted and gain respect of both your peers and your customers.

I have no issue with being in shape. CrossFit is my friend :D I am sure my knee will take a BFT a year, and the rucks needed to maintain that, I was just wondering if the job would hand me more than that and I might let someone down.

Seems like a good choice even with the wait that seems the norm (per this thread).

Thanks everyone for the input. Greatly appreciated!

Are you planning on joining Int in the reserves or the reg force?  As far as I am aware the reserve QL5 does not suffer from any delay.  If you join, your chances are extremely high that you will be taking the Int Op course on weekends throughout the year, and then the final mod during the summer.

ltmaverick25 said:
Are you planning on joining Int in the reserves or the reg force?  As far as I am aware the reserve QL5 does not suffer from any delay.  If you join, your chances are extremely high that you will be taking the Int Op course on weekends throughout the year, and then the final mod during the summer.

I was hoping to hook up with 2 Int Coy iin Toronto as Res.

That's great news, so I can now just hope the transfer goes OK. If, of course, they are hiring. So complicated sometimes.

I am really glad I am older. Dealing with the Army at age 19 must just drive them nuts :D

They are still hiring.  Get in touch with Cpl Moeller ASAP to get the ball started.  If all goes well you should make it into the unit in time to begin their next QL5 weekend training serial.  That will take place throughout the year.  Then during the summer you will be away for a couple of months finishing up the final MOD.

ltmaverick25 said:
They are still hiring.  Get in touch with Cpl Moeller ASAP to get the ball started.  If all goes well you should make it into the unit in time to begin their next QL5 weekend training serial.  That will take place throughout the year.  Then during the summer you will be away for a couple of months finishing up the final MOD.

Thanks fro the intel. I called but everyone is out till Stand To. I'll keep calling.

ltmaverick25 said:

Beadwindow 5, over!  :)

Blackthorne said:
Thanks fro the intel. I called but everyone is out till Stand To. I'll keep calling.

FYI, you might want to note that in Canada we say 'Int'; 'Intel' is a US term...

Hello, I'm currently on the merit list for reg force Int Op as of a few days ago and heard there were 2 or 3 openings left. My file manager mentioned it was going to be nationally selected. Do all nationally selected trades go to a merit list board, and if so when is the next one for Int Op?

All successful applications go to Merit Listing ... Natioanlly selected ones are SELECTED nationally (vice locally) ... there is no set timing ... when they need people into the training system for a given trade, they select for that trade.

Otis

Otis said:
All successful applications go to Merit Listing ... Natioanlly selected ones are SELECTED nationally (vice locally) ... there is no set timing ... when they need people into the training system for a given trade, they select for that trade.

Otis

Thanks for the information. I talked with the File Manager at the CFRC and he explained that. I suppose I lucked out on the timing, I am getting sworn in 01/10/2009 and look forward to BMQ.

Hey guys, hopefully you guys can help me and give me some suggestions.  I applied for the reserves as infantry GGFG about a month ago, but after talking to a neighbor of mine who was in CSOR :).  I was recommended to take a different path.  I started looking around and although at first I didn't even consider INT OP, but now it's what I am trying very hard to get into.  I just recently got a hold of the Master Corporal at 2nd Intelligence Platoon here in Ottawa and I was told that I will have to wait until the hiring is no longer frozen.  They've been frozen since May and they have no idea when they will be open again, but when they do open I will get an email.  The thing is, the recruiting Corporal at the office told me he would close my profile in 2 months since I told him after writing my aptitude test that I would like to switch trades, and on top of that GGFG and the Camerons are now closed in recruiting.  These are the only 2 infantry units in Ottawa to apply for.  I want to join as an INT OP more than anything after doing all the research I've been doing and reading around these boards, but it sounds like my chances of getting into the unit with no previous experience and only 2 years of university under my belt, my chances are slim.  I would rather not wait and lose a spot in the Infantry unit only to found out later that I also cannot get into the Intelligence Platoon.  You guys have mentioned a lot of guys that have "come off the street" with Poli. Sci. Masters and Phds and previous Intelligence experience and so on, but is it common, or even likely for a Computer Science/Minor Business Admin 3rd year student to get in without any previous experience?  What steps would you guys take if you were in my position?  I understand there is a component transfer as well but I feel I would competent enough for the job without previous military trade training.  Although, I'm not the one who decides that so my opinion doesn't matter.

Trackman

Your indecisiveness has now cost you a job.  You had an opportunity to be in a Reserve unit and starting BMQ on the 16th.  You are now caught holding the bag, perhaps having your file closed at the CFRC because you couldn't follow some sound advice to join a Cbt Arms unit and gain some valuable knowledge and experience in the CF. 

If you want your desires to become an INT Op in the Reserves to ever come to fruition, you had better get serious and check out the Régiment de Hull, or 30th Field, RCA.  There are other Reserve Units in Ottawa that you could try, but none would give you the experience these two, or the two Infantry Regiments that are now closed, could.  You could be waiting a long time before you get into 2 Int Platoon.  You might as well get some CF Training under your belt as you wait.  Hopefully your indecision has not prevented you from doing that altogether.

If you don't get serious on joining a Reserve Unit soon, you will not be enrolled before the New Year, and start BMQ before Feb, or as late as Sept/Oct 2010.  You will find that Reserve Units are facing some serious time restrictions for 2010.  You may have already missed the last bus.

George Wallace said:
Trackman

Your indecisiveness has now cost you a job.  You had an opportunity to be in a Reserve unit and starting BMQ on the 16th.  You are now caught holding the bag, perhaps having your file closed at the CFRC because you couldn't follow some sound advice to join a Cbt Arms unit and gain some valuable knowledge and experience in the CF. 

If you want your desires to become an INT Op in the Reserves to ever come to fruition, you had better get serious and check out the Régiment de Hull, or 30th Field, RCA.  There are other Reserve Units in Ottawa that you could try, but none would give you the experience these two, or the two Infantry Regiments that are now closed, could.  You could be waiting a long time before you get into 2 Int Platoon.  You might as well get some CF Training under your belt as you wait.  Hopefully your indecision has not prevented you from doing that altogether.

If you don't get serious on joining a Reserve Unit soon, you will not be enrolled before the New Year, and start BMQ before Feb, or as late as Sept/Oct 2010.  You will find that Reserve Units are facing some serious time restrictions for 2010.  You may have already missed the last bus.

You are very right sir.  I am being very indecisive at the moment and opportunities are just passing right under my nose.  But I really want to make sure I only have to make one choice and be happy with what I'm doing.  I'm planning on staying with the military hopefully for my whole career and I want to take the right first step.  But like you said I could get the experience for now and decide later, which is looking more like the direction I am going to take. 

Let's say after I finish my trade training, and I decide to apply for a transfer over to INT, would an applicant with trades training as a Signal Operator have an advantage over myself being an Infantry applicant?(This question isn't res. or reg. force restricted, so an answer for either scenario helps.)  Assuming his reputation and quality of service would be the same as my own in our corresponding trades.  I am already convinced that Communications Research Operator would have an advantage since they should have a level of security clearance already so I won't bother asking.  But if I'm mistaken I wouldn't mind being corrected.

The Security Clearance in your question is a Red Herring.  I would hazard a guess, that the majority of OTs to the INT Trade have come from the Cbt Arms of the three Elements, more than from other Trades. 

However, to be an INT Op, you must be able to get the required Clearance, or you are unemployable.

In my experience, it does not matter much from which army trade you are from to be a good Int Op.  All you need is the right mind to do the job.  Any mil experience is valuable for the Int Trade. Sigs is good for Int Res units because the soldier that remusters has the bonus of having at least a secret security clearance and he understands the setup of headquarters and so on. 

Comms Research for Res is only in Kingston at 772 Res EW Sqn , unless you want to drive there everytime... Oh and they do hire Int Ops... if there are any positions left.

That's one avenue for you.

Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks to Dictat but to George Wallace especially.  You're the second person to give me the same advice and the way you said it gave me a little nudge to act quickly and I thank you.  I'm also afraid I missed the last BMQ of the year seeing as how my I just booked my interview and medical is next week on the 14th.  But regardless I'm glad to say I'm back in the process.  And as far as my interest in INT goes, this thread along with a couple others was a great read and the community answered a lot of my questions, but now I guess I'll let the rest of the questions I have answer themselves along this long military trip I'll be taking.  Thanks again.  :D but to everybody in the thread this time.

The_Dictat said:
Comms Research for Res is only in Kingston at 772 Res EW Sqn
Not true. 763 Comms Regt in Ottawa is also hiring Comms Research operators, in case you're interested in signals intelligence.

763 Comms Regt too?... Wow, I did not not know that...surprisingly...  Good to know. Thanks

Does anyone know what the status is on the direct entry Int Op trial? Is the trial still going on? I got the impression that it was temporarily shut down, but have been unable to find any information on if it was starting again any time in the future. I'd hate to be sitting here thinking that the trade was closed for direct entry only to find out that I missed the deadline.

A few of you on this thread seem fairly knowledgeable about the trade, perhaps you know?

Jules

I'm assuming that my previous post wasn't answered because nobody knew, so, if anyone else is interested, I just talked to an online recruiter who told me that they are still recruiting civilians for the trade and there are still spots available.

Seems a bit odd to me, I assumed that even if they were still recruiting civilians that any spots would be filled up and candidates would be waiting until the new numbers came out in April. Ah well, what do I know? That's why they're the recruiters and I'm just joining.  ;D

Back