• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Int Op trade tell me more and more reg force please

Otis said:
LtM: Do you have a reference for Direct Entry of Int Op?

I'm not questioning your information, I'm just wondering where you found it because all I can find is evidence of a PLANNED Int Op - Direct Entry Trial, I can't find any messages inplementing it (unlike the AES Op - DE Trial, which is in full effect)

According to the DPM Pol Intranet site, Int Op is still not open to DE. According to the eRHB (electronic Recruiters Handbook) on the recruiting site, there is a planned DE trial for Int Op, but no details yet (education requirements, TOS etc)

Please advise.

Unfortunately I cant provide any reference to that information.  The reason I say that Int Op is available for direct entry is because of information I have read on these forums.  I know of at least one poster here who joined as an Int Op off the street reg force.  I beleive he is on his BMQ now.

Edited to add:  The person I am refering to has been posting in this thread.  His name is BravoCharlie.

ltmaverick25 said:
The reason I say that Int Op is available for direct entry is because of information I have read on these forums.  I know of at least one poster here who joined as an Int Op off the street reg force.  I beleive he is on his BMQ now.
Edited to add:  The person I am refering to has been posting in this thread.  His name is BravoCharlie.

I don't know his background, but judging by the age on his profile, I would bet he has a significant amount of relevant education and experience.

I saw a couple of direct entry messages for int op sent to St-Jean for BMQ training a while ago.

As said before, a trial was done a while back.  They have to wait and see how these candidates' careers evolves to evaluate wether it was a good idea or not to do so. 

Right now, things are murky.  But I do know that the Int Branch will consider people with previous military experience for re-enrolment. As for other type of DE Int Op, do not hold your breath.  When the branch is ready for more reg DE intake, the CFRCs will know. 

For now and as always, going the Reserve Int op route is the fastest way to get into reg f int op.

So I survived St Jean, and got through BMQ with only a few BAD days.

As for off the street Int OPs ( i will be one)  My resume did help me a fair bit, I'm sure,  with  a lot of acting experience, coordinating, first aid, as well as the near completion of a psych degree.

I'm at Borden on Pretc waiting for courses currently and will do some driving and SQ before october is done.  After that...who knows.  I've heard that there is a distance course  all off the street Int Ops must complete before they will be course loaded,  but lord knows when the course will be.

I know one course runs Sept- March,  but nothing else with regard to that.

Not to discourage you in your quest for Int Op qualification, but there are very few of us at borden,  which may be an indicator that there are few spots open.

Try for it any way.  read up on the int trade if you can, and regurgitate it in your interview...good luck

BC

what is the process for a reserve infantry mcpl with a university degree to transfer to reserve int officer? i can see this taking a while, but is something i'm considering.

You would have to approach your local intelligence unit recruiting staff and let them know you want to join as an INT officer. 

Assuming that the unit wants to endorse your candidacy as an officer, you would be set up with a PSO (personel selection officer interview).  The PSO will assess your ability to lead and your capacity to do the INT job in an officers position.  At that point, the reserve unit you are joining may elect to hold a board.  If they do, you would go up in front of a handful of Captains and the CO.  Each of them will have an assessment sheet and score you.  After you are done, they will discuss and amalgamate the final result.  If it is favorable,  your transfer would proceed.

Then you run into all the other problems.  For example your existing unit taking forever to action your requests ect....

It took me 2 years to get my transfer done, and that was NCM to NCM.  It will be a very long and frustrating ordeal to say the least.

One of the things you have to look out for is the following:  They may ask you to transfer over to INT as an NCM, and then they would start the commissioning process afterwards.  If they take this route with you, I highly recomend you reject that course of action.  Tell them you want to transfer as an officer or no dice.  It will make your transfer take longer, but at least that way you know you are going through the required process.  Otherwise, you could get transfered over, and they will just sit on your file and never move on it.

Right now, reserve intelligence units are VERY fickle with who they commission.  I know alot of people, some of them master corporals, who are already INT Ops who are trying to commission and its just not happening.  They arent being rejected mind you, they are just being ignored.  If you want more detailed information send me a PM and I can help you out more.  If you are in the Toronto region I can get you in touch with the people you will need to talk to.

Hello.  I was wondering if there was any INT Ops in Halifax that would like to talk about the job.  I am interested in remustering to the trade.  I would be willing to trade coffee or a beer for your time. If anyone is interested in talking to me please send me a PM. Thanks

housenuts said:
What is the process for a Reserve Infantry MCpl with a university degree to transfer to Reserve Int officer?  I can see this taking a while, but is something I'm considering.

You will have to go to the Unit, as ltmaverick25 said, and see what they say.  Reserve Int units are not the same as other Reserve units.  Having a degree could mean nothing.  It would mean absolutely nothing in a Reserve Int unit that has Ptes with PhDs and Cpls and MCpls with Masters.  They would only ask you: "What makes you so special?"  Now, you are what they are looking for, as an NCM, whom they could train as a QL5A INT OP, promote to MCpl and perhaps send on Deployment/Tasking and have a qualified instructor to continue the cycle of producing INT Ops.  What they would look for in an officer, would be one with a Post Secondary Degree and some "Professional Standing", such as a senior managerial or teaching position on Civvie Street.  A Inf MCpl with a BA is sort of the norm for CT to INT OP.  They are quite often looking for much more in the criteria they want for a INT O.

I did forget something.  If you can not get a Lvl III Clearance, you will not become an Int Op or an Int O.  You would be unemployable, so you will not be accepted to Training.

I have just been accepted into the Int Op Trade.  A few quick questions, cause you guys seem to have the answers.

1.  What sort of course delay am I looking at, ie 6 months or 2 years before course loading?
2.  I have 12 years in Reg and Res Navy, am I required to complete Soldier Qualification for this trade?
3.  Finally what time line is the revamped course? 

Thank you

If you are Int Op army you will definitely need the SQ.  I am not sure about the other elements.  I know officers of all elements have to take the CAP, so its likely the NCMs would all have to do SQ.  The new Int Op course is 6 months long.  As for delay in course loadings, I dont have the info for NCM's with me right now but I should be able to find out on Monday.  For new officers coming into the trade, they are loading into 2012 right now.

Just an update:

I spoke with an Air Force Int Op that just recently finished his QL5 course.  He said he only had to wait a couple of months for a course.  I dont know if this will be the same for everyone else, but, he seemed to go through the system pretty quickly.  Hope this helps.

ltmaverick25 said:
If you are Int Op army you will definitely need the SQ.  I am not sure about the other elements.  I know officers of all elements have to take the CAP, so its likely the NCMs would all have to do SQ.  The new Int Op course is 6 months long.  As for delay in course loadings, I dont have the info for NCM's with me right now but I should be able to find out on Monday.  For new officers coming into the trade, they are loading into 2012 right now.

6 months?  Seriously? 

Thats what the Cpl in my office told me today about the course he was just on.  The BIOC is also currently 6 months.  However, I heard talk that they were looking at scaling the course back to 4 months because CFSMI did not have the resorces or manpower to run more then one 6month BIOC per year and right now there is a large backlog of INTO's waiting for training.

I dont know if that applies to the QL5 or not though.

From what I gathered, alot of content from 6a was being pushed down to the 5s level.

How physical is the Qualification course (QL5A if I read correctly)? I am Inf now and blew out my left knee on DP1 (I have Res Army BMQ and SQ only) and am thinking of remustering rather than pulling poll.

My knee won't take Inf anymore, but I don't want to blow more resources (mine and the Military's) chasing something thats not going to happen. I believe my civie work experience and education would lend themselves well to the trade.

Here's the DIN link to the Military Intelligence School (CFSMI)

http://kingston.mil.ca/cfsmi%2Dermfc/contact_e.asp

Other than regular PT, the QL5A is only hard on your brain..... and your b*tt... for sitting during long days of classes.

Blackthorne said:
How physical is the Qualification course (QL5A if I read correctly)? I am Inf now and blew out my left knee on DP1 (I have Res Army BMQ and SQ only) and am thinking of remustering rather than pulling poll.

My knee won't take Inf anymore, but I don't want to blow more resources (mine and the Military's) chasing something thats not going to happen. I believe my civie work experience and education would lend themselves well to the trade.

That really depends on who your staff is.  The last time I taught a QL5a we did morning runs for a while in Kingston.  Then, about half way through our course WO was ordered to stop the runs because the candidates were complaining that they were having a hard time absorbing the information afterwards or something like that.  So the runs stopped...

On other courses, no running at all.  Just classroom stuff and thats it.  I know they were talking about adding a field ex component to the 5s where you actually go to the field instead of just setting up tents on the backlawn of the EW building, but I dont know if thats been followed through on or not.

But to sum it up for you, Int is not a physical trade at all.  Some may chose to disagree with me, or take exception to my comment, but I beleive it to be true. 

What you really need to keep in mind is the following...

You will still have to pass an express test every year, and you will still have to pass the BFT every year.  If you can do that, then give Int a go.  I know of a very small few, who deployed, and were humping it with the Cbt Arms, and thus had a very physical experience.  But in most cases it hasnt been like that.  But you have to be ready just in case.

But obviously, you are the only one who knows what your knee can handle.

Good luck.

ltmaverick25 said:
But to sum it up for you, Int is not a physical trade at all.  Some may chose to disagree with me, or take exception to my comment, but I beleive it to be true. 

What you really need to keep in mind is the following...

You will still have to pass an express test every year, and you will still have to pass the BFT every year.  If you can do that, then give Int a go.  I know of a very small few, who deployed, and were humping it with the Cbt Arms, and thus had a very physical experience.  But in most cases it hasnt been like that.  But you have to be ready just in case.

But obviously, you are the only one who knows what your knee can handle.

Not to disagree but the level of physical activity required to do an Int Op job is highly dependent on what element you work in and what position you are working at.

At some units you may be sitting driving a desk for 8-10 hours per day with group physical activities being optional.  You'll be expected to do enough PT to pass annual tests, but nothing arduous.  On the other end, you can end up at a unit that spends a lot of time in the field, and you might be expected to do a lot of physical activity.

Regardless of where you end up, three important things should be kept in mind .
1. About half of the trade keeps themselves in good shape, while the other half tends to build up spare tires.  Which side do you want to be on?
2. It doesnt matter if you are limited by a physical disability, what matters is that you dont use it as an excuse to not do any physical activity.
3. A lot of Int work is dependent on the impressions you make on the audience the product is being delivered to; looking fit, even if your activites are limited, makes a big difference in how quickly you get accepted and gain respect of both your peers and your customers.

Back