• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Job training and possible future civilian trade.

miktsen

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

Please forgive me complete ignorance. I have literally zero friends in the Canadian Armed Forces, so I really have no one to ask these questions.

i have been considering joining the reserves for a while now. One thing I have been wondering about is how much of the training for different CF jobs would be directly applicable to a civilian job. I'm considering a pretty broad range of options at the moment and was looking for advice on what to expect.

For instance, is trying for a position in the MP a logical step towards an ultimate goal of joining the Vancouver PD?

What about other CF jobs involving pluming, power engineering, or structural engineering? Would it make sense to join the Army to learn these skills to get into a trade?

Also, I know there are companies that are very accommodating to the work schedules of people in the reserves, but is there any assistance finding a civilian job that relates to the training you are receiving in the military?

I would say that if your intent is to join the army in order to gain a useful trade out in the world, forget it.  Any of the building trades you mention are obtainable MUCH faster through a Provincial apprenticeship programme than through the military.  I can't speak to the MP question, as I only have brush contact with those guys.

Well, getting the training for a job is definitely not the only factor involved, I just wanna make sure I'm not wasting my time.

miktsen said:
Well, getting the training for a job is definitely not the only factor involved, I just wanna make sure I'm not wasting my time.

As you've been registered here :

"Temps total passé en ligne:  1 heures et 26 minutes."

I will respectfully suggest that you take a bit of your time reading
some of the threads that are link here :

FIRST OFF - Do you meet the 3 CRITERIA ?.

Good reading  :) !

Actually, these are very good questions, and although they have been asked before on other threads (although I cant recall their titles), it never hurts to refresh people's memories on these subjects.

First off very very few military trades are directly transferable over to civilian occupations.

Many military qualifications are not recognized by civilian trades or academic facilities.  You may get credit for them, but usually only as part of gaining civilian creditation for the same training/qualification.

What the military does offer is exceptional transferable skills development.  You will get training and experience in a vast number of skill areas that are not offered to employees at private enterprises.

miktsen said:
I have been considering joining the reserves for a while now. One thing I have been wondering about is how much of the training for different CF jobs would be directly applicable to a civilian job. I'm considering a pretty broad range of options at the moment and was looking for advice on what to expect.

See above.

miktsen said:
For instance, is trying for a position in the MP a logical step towards an ultimate goal of joining the Vancouver PD?

If you want to join any police department, the most important thing to do is know someone in that police department who can vouch for your character.  Military service is not as highly regarded as it should be, or as highly as it is in the USA.

miktsen said:
What about other CF jobs involving pluming, power engineering, or structural engineering? Would it make sense to join the Army to learn these skills to get into a trade?

I am not familiar with recent trends in these fields, but AFAIK the recognition of qualifications is still an issue.  Electricians and communications trades were said in the past to have fewer barriers due to the same standards and materials being used in both military and civilian environments. 

miktsen said:
Also, I know there are companies that are very accommodating to the work schedules of people in the reserves, but is there any assistance finding a civilian job that relates to the training you are receiving in the military?

a) There are some companies that are accomodating to persons in the reserves, but it depends greatly on your position in that company.  An executive who is a Major in the reserves is more likely to get a lot more accomodation than a low-level 8AM-5PM worker employed at minimum wage.
b) There are organizations existing with this goal in mind, but their level of effectiveness and success is debatable.

miktsen said:

Wasting your time?  What by serving your country and making yourself a better citizen?  Please apply at McDonalds.

HA and DA

Wasting your time?  What by serving your country and making yourself a better citizen?  Please apply at McDonalds.

yea cause he didn't already say he is deciding between many different positions and the fact some skills might be transferable will help him decide.. Buds think before you talk and keep your ignorant self righteousness to yourself.

Sythen said:
yea cause he didn't already say he is deciding between many different positions and the fact some skills might be transferable will help him decide.. Buds think before you talk and keep your ignorant self righteousness to yourself.

You do realize that most people on this site have more time in uniform than you do walking the earth, they might know a thing or two about what is transferable or not.

You do realize that most people on this site have more time in uniform than you do walking the earth, they might know a thing or two about what is transferable or not.

If you've got more then 28 years in the forces, good for you. However, you need to learn some reading comprehension. What does knowing what is transferable have even the slightest thing to do with my post? He was being ignorant and rude and taking a comment out of context and I called him on it.

The knowledge base here is probably why the OP asked here. It makes sense. But to tell someone that they should go apply to McDonalds because they'd rather base their choice of profession on what will benefit them in the long run rather then jumping in blindly is ignorant and stupid.

Sythen, kincanucks' comment was made in regard to the OP not wanting to "waste his time".

Maybe the OP should go look at the recruiting website where related civilian occupations are listed with each trade.

You keep using "then" instead of "than" in your posts Sythen. Not that I personally care, but I just thought you might want to fix that.

What I gathered from his statement is unless his trade training in the Reserves is going to benefit him directly as a civilian, then the time he put in was a "waste of time". From that perspective Kincanucks response made perfect sense.

Join the Reg F.

Everything you learn will be directly 'transferable', without a chance of wasting your time.

rjr said:
Join the Reg F.

Everything you learn will be directly 'transferable', without a chance of wasting your time.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over!

Unless you have experience on people leaving the military and getting civvy jobs based on military qualifications, you are WAAYYY out of your lane. How about you work on that.

Unrecognized qualifications that you would obtain in the Reserves would more than likely be unrecognized from the Reg Force as well.

As far as "everything you learn", I don't know if Drill or the operation of weapons would be recognized by many civvy employers.

rjr said:
Join the Reg F.

What military qualifications do you have that are directly transferable ?

You want something transferable?

clerk
imagery tech
cook
steward (hospitality portion anyway)

to name a few..

AFAIK the MP trade is somewhat difficult to get into.  

there are a lot of trades that CAN transfer into the civillian world *with some upgrading/ certification*  

The OP suggested interest in the reserves and skills obtainable in the CF.  I am merely suggesting he look into Reg F as a full-time career, INSTEAD of transferable skills to civvie.  I know it's not what he specifically asked, but it's an idea.

Find something else to bash me for.  Thanks.

rjr said:
Find something else to bash me for.  Thanks.

So "none" is your answer then ?

On topic.....

Alot of trades have "directly" transferable skills or training. Almost all trades however have very valuable "indirect skills" that employers seek. The leadership training, work ethics, experience in certain domains are just as attractive to a civillian employer.

Examples:

Infantry:
The Infantry Soldier occupation is uniquely military and has no civilian equivalent; however, the experience Infantry Soldiers gain in the use and maintenance of vehicles, communications equipment, weapons and tools of all types is highly applicable to many civilian jobs. More important, an experienced Infantry Soldier has the self-confidence, integrity, loyalty and trustworthiness that good employers want. Infantry leadership skills are also highly desirable to civilian employers.

Combat Engineer:
Highway Construction Foreman
Blaster (Construction)
Heavy Equipment Operator
Carpenter (Rough)
Construction Engineering Technician
Construction Millwright
Civil Engineering Technician

Back