• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kilts

Seamus449

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering which, if any kitshops, sell kilts or if anyone would know where abouts I could find one, preferably MacKinnon or MacAlpine tartan, but it doesn't have to be too specific. I would order one from a civilian supplier but they seem to be $400+ everywhere I look. I'm not ready to purchase yet but a good source would give me something to work towards. Thanks!

Any decently made kilt will be over $400. I just ordered one for $500, and think it's quite a deal. What cut are you looking for? The kilt out there are for $150 through to $750 www.bearkilts.com but I personally don't like the cut of the cheaper one as it sits like a pair of pants and not slightly higher like more traditional fashions. I'm not sure you're able to buy one from the kitshop, if you have a highland unit nearby ask the supply guys where they order from, but those won't be cheap.

A word to the wise - the plural of "kilt" is "the kilt."  "Kilts" is a usage to be frowned upon and heaped with scorn.

Sorry - "The answer to this question is found at page 340 of The Concise Scots Dictionary (Aberdeen U Press, 1985), Editor-in-Chief Mairi Robinson. This work is probably the most authoritative available on the language and usage. Since the entry contains no indication of a special pluralization, the noun kilt is to be treated by the customary addition of â Å“sâ ?."

Believe it or not - Ramsay Withers is the source of this little tid-bit... Ex CDS and ex DM of Transport Canada, and a damned fine gentleman.

pronto said:
Sorry - "The answer to this question is found at page 340 of The Concise Scots Dictionary (Aberdeen U Press, 1985), Editor-in-Chief Mairi Robinson. This work is probably the most authoritative available on the language and usage. Since the entry contains no indication of a special pluralization, the noun kilt is to be treated by the customary addition of â Å“sâ ?."

Believe it or not - Ramsay Withers is the source of this little tid-bit... Ex CDS and ex DM of Transport Canada, and a damned fine gentleman.

You're basing this on what it doesn't specifically prohibit?  Pretty weak.  Generations of Scottish soldiers know better; don't take it from me, I got the info from Art Johnson....Ex RCR and 48th Highlanders "and a damned fine gentleman."  I know who I am going to believe.

anyway, I've edited it, and we're not helping this lad who has no kilt!

http://alumnireview.queensu.ca/pastissues/winter2004/letters.htm#Lenard

old medic said:
http://alumnireview.queensu.ca/pastissues/winter2004/letters.htm#Lenard

Your point?  Some PhD who never served in a Highland Regiment doesn't persuade me.

Ain't wasn't in the dictionary when I was growing up, either, but we certainly used it like a word....

Ok, OK, no mas... Michael you are certainly right. It seems easier to agree with you.

Michael Dorosh said:
Some PhD who never served in a Highland Regiment doesn't persuade me.

...but a reservist in a highland regt would? I have been taught more false knowledge by members in highland regts than anyone else.

Michael Dorosh said:
Ain't wasn't in the dictionary when I was growing up, either, but we certainly used it like a word....

Just like the pronounciation of "Bonnet Kilmarnock." It should be "bun-it kill-mar-nick" but people still say "bonnet kill-mar-knock" anyway.

As for asking a local highland regt for contact info for highland dress, you have to be careful of what company you get your kilt (or "the kilt" if ordering more than one) since some make either high quality garments or really crappy rags. Our regt has run into several companies that made crappy "highland-in-a-box" kit that was very subpar and expensive to boot.

Cheers

pronto said:
Ok, OK, no mas... Michael you are certainly right. It seems easier to agree with you.

It usualy is......"don't argue with ******, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"   ;D

...but a reservist in a highland regt would? I have been taught more false knowledge by members in highland regts than anyone else.

Easy there Nato boy, we reservist in highland regiments don't give false knowledge out.  We just give you enough info to amuse you and send ya on your merry way.

former Kilted reservist

dileas

tess

Tess

Do you know if they offer MacKenzie Tartan? Thought about getting a kilt made up for civie street (Fergus Highland Games, e.t.c.)

I think they would,   quality is very good from them too.   I had one made (from the regiment) that lasted for years.

dileas

tess

Thanx Tess

As for the other comment, I did not gear it for ALL Highland reservists but rather the ones I have gotten info from.

My own regt has mixed opinions on the origin of the Toorie and the Hackle, I had Dorosh ( and several others on Army.ca) give me a second opinion on this.

I have also heard other dishearting rumors made up about highland regts by other regts; a member of the ASH of C thought that the Lorne Scots wear the Primerose Hackle (sp?) as a battle dishonour for raping nuns in ww2. I disregarded this and asked an actual Lorne Scots reservist for the real history behind it.

I hope this makes my last post more understandable and less rash.

Regards

Mickey

imagine how much of an idiot i felt, when I when I read your profile and saw you too wre a kilted fiend....

sorry about that...

dileas

tess

Mike, kilts is proper usage.

http://www.britannia.org/scotland/scotsdictionary/k.shtml

"  A kilt is a knee-length pleated skirt, especially one in tartan, worn as part of a man's Highland dress. Originally worn in the Highlands and then by Scottish regiments in the British Army, kilts are now to be seen adorning Scotsmen (whether Highlanders or Lowlanders) at weddings, graduations, and other celebratory occasions.
      The word comes from the Danish kilte to tuck up. "

Placing an article infront of a noun does not pluralize it.  The best explaination is probably under my first link, "the kilt" refers to a specific
kilt only.

In Gaelic, the article "the" can be used in place of a possessive pronoun :

The definite article is often used colloquially instead of a possessive pronoun.

The wife.
My (your or his) wife. The guidman.
My (your or her) husband.
The wife wis in the gairden wi's.
My (your or his) wife was in the garden with me.
She clawed the mutch aff me.
She tore off my cap.
The sodger wis wantin the helm.
The soldier was lacking his helmet.

http://www.scots-online.org/grammar/airticle.htm

however it's not a plural usage.

If you go through the various works of Sir Crispin Agnew, the Herald of Arms for the UK,
you will find that the English plural of kilt is kilts.

Cheers.

old medic said:
If you go through the various works of Sir Crispin Agnew, the Herald of Arms for the UK,
you will find that the English plural of kilt is kilts.
Cheers.

Rest my case.

Use whatever makes you happy, guys, really.  ;)

Back