• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=stellarpanther]

- Trudeau has stated that he will not recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel as Trump has done, the Cons have said they would.
[/quote]

Is this something that actually resonates with you?
Is this important to you?

Chief Engineer said:
You mean China the country where the virus originated and the virus China wasn't upfront to the world about having until months later. Or China the country Trudeau sent planeloads of PPE to or China that sent defective PPE back to Canada. Perhaps if China was a decent world nation they would of warned the world sooner and we wouldn't need that much PPE from China in the first place.

Yes the same China that despite originally sending defective PPE, corrected the problem and the same China that the world continues to try to purchase PPE from.  The same China that we sell a lot of goods to.  I suppose we could have it your preferred way and vote in the Cons and let them suck up the the good ol USA who pretends to be our ally but has no problem screwing us over on trade or anything else and imposes tariffs on us if we don't bend over and do what they want.  Even when we do give in, they make the threat again.  The same great country that has stated that in the event of a missile attack, they will not defend us.  At least China isn't being two faced about things. 

Ranger boy... are you still sure you want to talk about grabbing your ankles because if you do, you have a great so called ally waiting to give you another?

stellarpanther said:
Yes the same China that despite originally sending defective PPE, corrected the problem and the same China that the world continues to try to purchase PPE from.  The same China that we sell a lot of goods to.  I suppose we could have it your preferred way and vote in the Cons and let them suck up the the good ol USA who pretends to be our ally but has no problem screwing us over on trade or anything else and imposes tariffs on us if we don't bend over and do what they want.  Even when we do give in, they make the threat again.  The same great country that has stated that in the event of a missile attack, they will not defend us.  At least China isn't being two faced about things. 

I'm seldom at a loss for words, but

Halifax Tar said:
Can you provide some examples of this please ?

Just wondering if this was lost in the chaffe... I am pretty paitent though.

I actually lol'd at this :)

I want to add that my opinion is not something I've always had but only since Trump, I don't really believe the US or at least not at all levels is truly acting as an ally.  Pre-Trump, I had nothing but good feelings and all positive things to say.  I sincerely hope it goes back to that.  I have family over there so I obviously want the best for them but he needs to treat his allies a little better.  It's not just Canada he's doing that to.  There are plenty of articles currently online discussing Europe's concern about whether they can still depend on the Americans.  My opinion was strongly influenced by many of those articles and from what we've seen here in this country since Trump.

Jarnhamar said:
Is this something that actually resonates with you?
Is this important to you?

It's certainly not the most important thing I think about but it is a big one when thinking about foreign policy.  Most of the recent conflicts have been in the middle east and that is certainly something that will pour a lot of gasoline on an already big fire.

stellarpanther said:

Ranger boy... are you still sure you want to talk about grabbing your ankles because if you do, you have a great so called ally waiting to give you another?

Or the same China who have two Canadian Citizens under arrest for last few years on BS charges. We share the largest undefended border with the US, they are our biggest trading partner and militarily we are partners in Norad and Nato so why the hell not shouldn't we co-operate with them. Its not a perfect relationship but they are far from invading us or building islands off the coast. The same can't be said for China. You must have lots of Huawei stock don't you?

stellarpanther said:
I want to add that my opinion is not something I've always had but only since Trump, I don't really believe the US or at least not at all levels is truly acting as an ally.  Pre-Trump, I had nothing but good feelings and all positive things to say.  I sincerely hope it goes back to that.  I have family over there so I obviously want the best for them but he needs to treat his allies a little better.  It's not just Canada he's doing that to.  There are plenty of articles currently online discussing Europe's concern about whether they can still depend on the Americans.  My opinion was strongly influenced by many of those articles and from what we've seen here in this country since Trump.

stellarpanther said:

You didnt answer, or maybe are not willing to answer, my clarifying question.  But I will as you another anyways.  Just so you're aware, it is the Liberals who get us into fights for the most part, Afghanistan included.  It was the Conservative's who got us out.

Now onto my question:

Is the US actually treating its Allies poorly ?  Or is the US simply fed up with propping up other countries monitarily and militarily; who then turn around and bash the hand the protects and feeds them ?  Why should the US look after other countries ?  Thats not alliance that is dependance.

stellarpanther said:
It's certainly not the most important thing I think about but it is a big one when thinking about foreign policy.  Most of the recent conflicts have been in the middle east and that is certainly something that will pour a lot of gasoline on an already big fire.

That sort of seems as non-committal as Trudeau refusing to vote (opposed to voting no).

I get the feeling that if Trudeau wanted to recognize Jerusalem as Israels capital and the Conservatives were against it you would be here arguing why it's such a good idea to recognize it as such but I digress.

Jarnhamar said:
That sort of seems as non-committal as Trudeau refusing to vote (opposed to voting no).

I get the feeling that if Trudeau wanted to recognize Jerusalem as Israels capital and the Conservatives were against it you would be here arguing why it's such a good idea to recognize it as such but I digress.

So you're saying he's a good American?  Vote party and not idea??

Bruce Monkhouse said:
So you're saying he's a good American?  Vote party and not idea??

I don't think there's any illusion he's going to vote for the Liberal party regardless of anything they do or don't do.

The anti-American, pro-China seems standard for the party.

Jarnhamar said:
The anti-American, pro-China seems standard for the party.

I disagree with your assertion that the LPC is anti American. Anti-republican and anti-trump, sure but anti-American?

For your second part, I don't get it. I've seen on thai site a few people claiming that the LPC in general and Trudeau specifically are ardently pro-China to the point of cowtowing and even boot licking. I have 9 news apps on my phone, so I see a lot of different stories, and I've never gotten the impression that the LPC was this was visavis China. What gives?

stellarpanther said:
- Trudeau has stated that he will not recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel as Trump has done, the Cons have said they would.

What do Jewish-Canadians say?

In the 2017 American Jewish Congress ( AJC ) Survey of American Jewish Opinion, done in September 2017, it was found that 16% of American Jews polled supported an immediate move of the embassy to Jerusalem, 36% wanted to move the embassy at a later date in conjunction with Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, 44% opposed moving the embassy, and 4% said they weren't sure.
https://www.ajc.org/survey2017

Lumber said:
I disagree with your assertion that the LPC is anti American. Anti-republican and anti-trump, sure but anti-American?

For your second part, I don't get it. I've seen on thai site a few people claiming that the LPC in general and Trudeau specifically are ardently pro-China to the point of cowtowing and even boot licking. I have 9 news apps on my phone, so I see a lot of different stories, and I've never gotten the impression that the LPC was this was visavis China. What gives?

https://tnc.news/2020/04/22/just-the-facts-liberal-partys-connections-to-chinas-communist-regime/

Lumber said:

Hasnt JT been recorded as expressiong admiration for the Chinese form of government or some such thing ? 

Halifax Tar said:
Hasnt JT been recorded as expressiong admiration for the Chinese form of government or some such thing ?

From the posted link above:

2013 – Liberal leader Justin Trudeau said he admired China’s dictatorship.
“There’s a level of admiration I actually have for China. Their basic dictatorship is actually allowing them to turn their economy around on a dime.”

Lumber said:

Maybe semantics but you probably have a point. Trump makes a very easy and convenient figurehead to rally against no disagreement here.
At the same time I've found whether Trump was in the picture or not the Liberal party have ran on a "We're not American" platform for years and use any negative opinions of the US, at home or abroad, to sell what they're pitching. I've found Liberal voters often seem to hold "not American!" as a major identifier.

So yes maybe not anti-American per say but the LPC and Liberals are quick to associate American with negative and take advantage of it any way they can.
Conservative = American, American = bad.

For your second part, I don't get it.
I'll shamelessly purloin the points from PPCLI Guy's article.

Of course there is always this:

http://www.ufcw.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30248:harper-sells-canada-to-china&catid=9553&Itemid=98&lang=en

Harper sells Canada to China

Toronto  – September 22, 2014 – Late on a Friday afternoon, while Parliament was not sitting, Con boss Harper quietly announced that his government had ratified the Canada-China Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (FIPA). Most Canadians have no idea what FIPA is. It was secretly negotiated between the two countries, there has been no public debate, nor has there been any debate in Parliament. 

FIPA is an agreement that protects Chinese investment in Canada from laws and regulations passed by governments in Canada, whether they are municipal, provincial or federal. It allows for Chinese investors to sue Canada for unlimited damages if our governments make decisions that put Canadian interests first.

If Chinese investors did sue our governments, the lawsuit would not take place in Canadian courts but would be conducted by unaccountable arbitrators in secretive tribunals held outside of Canada’s courts. There is no requirement for the Canadian government to inform the public that a Chinese investor has launched a lawsuit until an award has been issued by the secretive tribunal. If the Canadian government settled the issue by paying out public money before an award had been issued by the tribunal, there is no requirement to disclose the settlement to the public.

FIPA also overrides existing treaty obligations to Canada’s First Nations. China could force the Canadian government to grant access to Aboriginal lands. It gives Chinese investors general right of access to the Canadian economy but not vice versa.

Canada is locked into the agreement for 31 years and unlike other trade agreements such as NAFTA, which allows parties to the agreement the ability to opt out of the agreement with six months notice, the Canadian government would have to give 15 years notice to get out of FIPA.

It was secretly negotiated between the two countries, there has been no public debate, nor has there been any debate in Parliament. 

Shit like that isn't acceptable at all. I really liked Harper (except towards the end of his tenure) but the more I hear about this stuff the more pissed I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back