• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is starting to become too heated, I'm out on this thread.

stellarpanther said:
The Canada China relationship began to sour with the Meng issue which is really just another thing Trump is doing to try to stir up crap.  Unfortunately we caught put in the middle of it.  I don't look at is as appeasement.  The US likes to act as a bully around the world and really that's all that needs to be said.  If I don't say it as articulately as others or don't provide enough details sorry but it's my educated opinion.

Suggest you revisit some of the works you hopefully read in your Political Studies classes, a couple of ones for you:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28862.The_Prince

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/117031.On_War

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10534.The_Art_of_War

116876.Politics_Among_Nations

There is a difference between Politics and Strategy though and the two are not mutually exclusive.  I know some people who studied Politics that focused entirely on ideology, or classical political philosophy.  I myself focused almost entirely on International Relations and Political Geography.

stellarpanther said:
This is starting to become too heated, I'm out on this thread.

That's too bad, we were just starting to get some good discussion going. 

[quote author=Humphrey Bogart]I myself focused almost entirely on International Relations and Political Geography.

[/quote]

And yet your goto source isn't an argumentum ad populum.

stellarpanther said:
I guess you'd be surprised to learn that I have a degree in Political Science.

Yes, if you didn't cover key elements of Canadian-U.S. relations, including key bilateral treaties that include the almost half-century old:

Treaty on Extradition Between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America

E101323 - CTS 1976 No. 3

CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,

DESIRING to make more effective the co-operation of the two countries in the repression of crime by making provision for the reciprocal extradition of offenders,

AGREE as follows:

(First 3 of 18 Articles quoted)

Article 1
Each Contracting Party agrees to extradite to the other, in the circumstances and subject to the conditions described in this Treaty, persons found in its territory who have been charged with, or convicted of, any of the offenses covered by Article 2 of this Treaty committed within the territory of the other, or outside thereof under the conditions specified in Article 3 (3) of this Treaty.

Article 2
1. Persons shall be delivered up according to the provisions of this Treaty for any of the offenses listed in the Schedule annexed to this Treaty, which is an integral part of this Treaty, provided these offenses are punishable by the laws of both Contracting Parties by a term of imprisonment exceeding one year.

2. Extradition shall also be granted for attempts to commit, or conspiracy to commit or being a party to any of the offenses listed in the annexed Schedule.

3. Extradition shall also be granted for any offense against a federal law of the United States in which one of the offenses listed in the annexed Schedule, or made extraditable by paragraph (2) of this Article, is a substantial element, even if transporting, transportation, the use of the mails or interstate facilities are also elements of the specific offense.

Article 3
1. For the purpose of this Treaty the territory of a Contracting Party shall include all territory under the jurisdiction of that Contracting Party, including air space and territorial waters and vessels and aircraft registered in that Contracting Party or aircraft leased without crew to a lessee who has his principal place of business, or, if the lessee has no such place of business, his permanent residence in, that Contracting Party if any such aircraft is in flight, or if any such vessel is on the high seas when the offense is committed. For the purposes of this Treaty an aircraft shall be considered in flight from the moment when power is applied for the purpose of the take-off until the moment when the landing run ends.

2. In a case when offense 23 of the annexed Schedule is committed on board an aircraft at any time from the moment when all its external doors are closed following embarkation until the moment when any such door is opened for disembarkation, such offense and any other offense covered by Article 2 committed against passengers or crew of that aircraft in connection with such offense shall be considered to have been committed within the territory of a Contracting Party if the aircraft was registered in that Contracting Party, if the aircraft landed in the territory of that Contracting Party with the alleged offender still on board, or if the aircraft was leased without crew to a lessee who has his principal place of business, or, if the lessee has no such place of business, his permanent residence in that Contracting Party.

3. When the offense for which extradition has been requested has been committed outside the territory of the requesting State, the executive or other appropriate authority of the requested State shall have the power to grant the extradition if the laws of the requested State provide for jurisdiction over such an offense committed in similar circumstances.

Couple of questions.

1.  "There are plenty of articles currently online discussing Europe's concern about whether they can still depend on the Americans."

Why do Europeans still need to depend on the Americans?  Europe too small?  European countries still too incompetent and immature to avoid warring among themselves without Americans to keep them in line?

2.  Uighurs.  If their treatment at the hands of the Chinese government is insufficiently inhumane for Canada to increase its distance right now, what additional outrages must the Chinese government commit for Canada to do so?

Chief Engineer said:
Stellerpanther, if the US pulled all their forces back to a level say what Canada is currently doing and committing to what do you think will happen? All the US is doing is asking for the rest of their allied countries to pay their fair share.

Why should they volunteer to do their part when there are plenty of Americans out there ready to die for them? Maybe they're just not into that.

stellarpanther said:
Ranger boy... are you still sure you want to talk about grabbing your ankles because if you do, you have a great so called ally waiting to give you another?

Judging from the immature name-calling and deduction of MilPoints for my "inappropriate" comment, I gather I must have struck a nerve.  More so than the Liberal habit of gross corruption.

You will not get any arguments from me with regards to the Trump Administration.  The sooner he is turned out to pasture and what passes as the Republican Party is razed to the ground and the earth salted, the better.  It has been a long time since it was the party of Reagan.

With regards to China, I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that engages in hostage diplomacy when Canada fulfills its legal obligations under a lawful extradition request.

I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that engages in genocide in Xinjiang by placing over a million Uyghur muslims in concentration camps, and is engaging in forced sterilization and abortions, and mass surveillance of said population.

I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that engages in ethnic cleansing in Tibet.

I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that has broken international law in stamping out the final lights of freedom in Hong Kong.

I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that bullies its liberal democratic neighbours Japan, South Korea and India, and its other neighbours over territory and access to international waters.

I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that threatens to absorb a liberal democratic Taiwan by force, when they have made it clear that they are not interested in losing their freedoms.

I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that uses its United Front Work Department to engage in “elite capture” of Canadian political and corporate leaders, to make sure they are obsequious to their aggression.

I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that uses this same United Front Work Department to engage in intimidating Chinese-Canadian communities and dissidents into silence and spreading Beijing’s propaganda in said communities.

I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that hid a pandemic from the world and its population until it was ravaging the globe and could not be contained any longer.  The same regime that allowed people to travel internationally from the centre of said pandemic while it raged.

I guess you are okay with a totalitarian regime that uses its United Front Work Department to buy up all supplies of PPE in Canada prior to the pandemic being known here, shipping us defective PPE in return.

I guess you are okay with a regime that engages in espionage and election interference in Canada and other allies.

I could go on.

The fact is, Canada has no reason to kowtow to the Chinese Communist Party.  It is not an honest actor in the international community  There is no reason why, at the very least, we should not be enacting Magnitsky Act sanctions on select CCP officials engaging in oppression and genocide, kicking out “consular officials” engaged in intimidation and influence in Canada ,and working with our other traditional allies (UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea) who have also been the targets of Beijing’s intimidation campaigns.  We should also be engaging with other liberal democracies in Asia like Taiwan and India to increase our trade and stand up to Beijing’s bullying.

There is so much more we could do, but our government bows and scrapes before the most odious regime on the planet.

If that offends you, then sorry, not sorry.

Target Up said:
Why should they volunteer to do their part when there are plenty of Americans out there ready to die for them? Maybe they're just not into that.

I think the time is coming when the people who are dying for them no longer want to.

Halifax Tar said:
Hasnt JT been recorded as expressiong admiration for the Chinese form of government or some such thing ?

Indeed he has!  Admittedly, this was about six years ago.  I would now say he fears China more than admires them. But he is following some of their basic dictatorial practices by:

a. using an executive order to disarm the Canadian population (OIC 2020-96);

b. suspending open government and attempting to impose one-party rule (attempt to extend emergency pandemic spending powers until December 2021);

c. practicing a "do as I say, not as I do" leadership style over the Easter weekend;

d. awarding and rewarding the party faithful using public funds (WE); and, prior to the pandemic

e. attempting to subvert the course of justice on two separate occasions. (SNC Lavalin and VAdm Norman)

He may no longer admire the Chinese but he has certainly learned from them.

Haggis said:
Indeed he has!  Admittedly, this was about six years ago.  I would now say he fears China more than admires them. But he is following some of their basic dictatorial practices by:

b. suspending open government and attempting to impose one-party rule (attempt to extend emergency pandemic spending powers until December 2021);

c. practicing a "do as I say, not as I do" leadership style over the Easter weekend;

d. awarding and rewarding the party faithful using public funds (WE); and, prior to the pandemic

e. attempting to subvert the course of justice on two separate occasions. (SNC Lavalin and VAdm Norman)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all.

Haggis said:

Objection! This is conjecture!

The rest of it, well, yea...

Lumber said:
Objection! This is conjecture!

The rest of it, well, yea...
I apologize deeply.

Canada is a country where the rule of law is paramount. An open and transparent government is what Canadians expect. 

Here at Army.ca those expectations are expected. I sincerely apologize, once again. Sincerely.  I will do better.

Army.ca members expect nothing less and nothing is what they can expect.

Haggis said:
I apologize deeply.

Canada is a country where the rule of law is paramount. An open and transparent government is what Canadians expect. 

Here at Army.ca those expectations are expected. I sincerely apologize, once again. Sincerely.  I will do better.

Army.ca members expect nothing less and nothing is what they can expect.

What's this Army.ca you speak of? All my URLs start with "milnet.ca"?.

Lumber said:
What's this Army.ca you speak of? All my URLs start with "milnet.ca?.

One apology per 24 hour period. I don 't want to seem too Prime Ministerial.

One of the WE employees, former chair of the board of directions who quit, speaks up.

Former WE Charity chair says she resigned over ‘concerning developments’ at the organization
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-former-we-charity-chair-says-she-resigned-over-concerning/

It sounds like she was replaced by Greg Rogers who was one of the Kielburger's high school teachers . I've ready he was pretty light in the experience department too.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-we-charity-contract-came-into-effect-may-5-ottawa-paid-most/?utm_medium=Referrer:+Social+Network+/+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

WE Charity contract called for Ottawa to pay $33-million in administration fees in its first weeks G & M - 27 Jul 20

The deal that WE Charity struck with the federal government allowed it to collect the fee for administering the Canada Student Service Grant within one week of the Trudeau Liberals announcing the group would run the new program.

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/

The Libranos: WE HAVE A WINNER - July 27, 2020
Librano math: How the hell does a contract originally claimed to be worth $19-million by the Trudeau government get an advanced payment of $33-million?

*DING*DING*DING*DING*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back