• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

I find any of the discourse around “what does he do?” or how much the PM travels pretty silly.

For the most part I agree. People are going to pick politicians apart for the smallest hint of a-ha!. And usually it's something silly like making a big deal when someone takes a vacation. Everyone deserves time off and the PM is busy. Politicians generally are.

Trudeau has pushed hard on climate change, oil and gas, and other travel related issues. He isn't shy about criticizing Canadians. His travel plans shouldn't be beyond reproach, especially if he's traveling for frivolous reasons.

Constant criticisms can be obnoxious but it also holds people accountable, even if just a little. Case in point Trudeau checking with the ethics commissioner before going on vacation.

For the most part I agree. People are going to pick politicians apart for the smallest hint of a-ha!. And usually it's something silly like making a big deal when someone takes a vacation. Everyone deserves time off and the PM is busy. Politicians generally are.

Trudeau has pushed hard on climate change, oil and gas, and other travel related issues. He isn't shy about criticizing Canadians. His travel plans shouldn't be beyond reproach, especially if he's traveling for frivolous reasons.

Constant criticisms can be obnoxious but it also holds people accountable, even if just a little. Case in point Trudeau checking with the ethics commissioner before going on vacation.
Not much we can do about travel. I would take issue with him burning tires in his yard or dumping waste into the Ottawa river more than bemoan his travelling.

I take issue with pontification on other things though.

Not much we can do about travel.
Against Trudeau? No. But look at Ontario Finance Minister Rod Phillips. Posting a video of him by the fire thanking people for staying home during the holidays and covid. Mean while he was in the Caribbean- forced to resign.

An extreme case but travel can be contentious depending on the situation. If Trudeau starts posting videos of his vacation and people stuck dealing with Air Canada's on-going disaster watch it could cost him votes.

I think the problem is that he extols virtues he himself does not adhere to. Be it environmentalism, transparency, ethical conduct, feminism, inclusion; he has demonstrated those values are flexible in the face of convenience.

Part of the problem we have in this country with political skepticism is because the leaders and politicians we have in office have less integrity than politicians of yore.

All well and good we need to save the earth, however, my taking the bus will have the same affect on climate change as pissing on a forest fire. My Liberal MP, however, is more than happy to not take DuPont or Invista to task for dumping industrial run off into the Harbour... because... Jobs.

Doublethink is not very good at fostering voter confidence

I think the problem is that he extols virtues he himself does not adhere to. Be it environmentalism, transparency, ethical conduct, feminism, inclusion; he has demonstrated those values are flexible in the face of convenience.

Part of the problem we have in this country with political skepticism is because the leaders and politicians we have in office have less integrity than politicians of yore.

All well and good we need to save the earth, however, my taking the bus will have the same affect on climate change as pissing on a forest fire. My Liberal MP, however, is more than happy to not take DuPont or Invista to task for dumping industrial run off into the Harbour... because... Jobs.

Doublethink is not very good at fostering voter confidence
I really don't see much different from any of the other politicians though, the sucessful ones say what they think will get them elected, the ones that stick by their standards stay back benchers or don't get elected at all.

An article about the LPC’s chances in Quebec without Trudeau.

Seems that I may not be alone in thinking he won’t run again…
Warren Kinsella thinks otherwise and provides ten reasons to back up his argument:

KINSELLA: Will Justin Trudeau seek to cement his legacy by winning a fourth election this fall?​

Author of the article: Warren Kinsella
Publishing date: Aug 07, 2022 • 3 minute read • 323 Comments

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

Because — honestly, truthfully — election talk is starting up again in Ottawa. As in, a federal election. As in, commencing in the month of November. We know, we know. It makes no sense. Justin Trudeau and Jagmeet Singh did their Axis of Weasels deal in a smoke-free backroom, and agreed no election for another three years, give or take. So, there’s no need for an election. And no one wants an election. But notwithstanding all that, serious people are now having serious talks about one.

Stop banging your head against the wall. Get off that ledge. When you think about it, it kind of makes sense.

Here’s ten reasons why.

1. Pierre Poilievre’s weaknesses. The Liberal and NDP war rooms believe the Ottawa-area Conservative MP is going to win his party’s leadership contest. So they’ve been busily collecting material to use against Poilievre — his fondness for whackadoodle WEF conspiracy theories, his enthusiasm for bizarro Bitcoin buffoonery, his slippery stance on abortion and social issues, his enduring dislikability. And the Grits and Dippers want to use that material before it gets stale because…

2. Poilievre has one big strength: the economy. He’s been his party’s finance critic, and he’s got some Bay Street cred. More worrying, for the Liberals, is that Poilievre is starting to look like a prophet on the economic front: his criticisms of central bankers may have been right, and his laser-like focus on Trudeau’s failings fighting inflation bode well for Team Blue. Trudeau doesn’t want inflation/recession to become the ballot question. Because then he’ll lose.

3. The economy is heading into the ditch. With the exception of jobs, every key economic indicator is presently looking grim — and jobs will too, soon enough, with inflation worse than it has been for four decades. Trudeau and Co. need to get ahead of what may be the worst economic downturn since the 2008-2009 global economic crisis.

4. Besides: we may have slipped into a recession already. On Thursday, England’s central bank jacked interest rates to 1.75% — the biggest rate increase in many years. While such rate increases squeeze out inflation, they always risk tipping Western economies into recession. Which many economists quietly suggest we may be in already. Trudeau knows that recession isn’t conducive to re-election.

5. Canadians are grumpy and getting grumpier. Successive opinion polls show a growing consensus that the country is on the wrong track — and that the Trudeau Liberals are wholly incapable of governing. The ongoing chaos at airports, plus more chaos at passport and immigration offices, have made the Grits look like really bad managers. They need to change the channel, and elections are excellent channel-changers.

6. COVID isn’t going away and will soon get worse. With masking abandoned by many, cooler fall temperatures will see a resurgence of colds and flus — as well as yet more COVID-19 waves. For Trudeau, however, a COVID surge is arguably good news: it will give him the perfect environment to argue that the Tories are a seething nest of COVID-denying anti-vax conspiracy nuts. Which he will.

7. Instability is Trudeau’s friend. Putin’s ongoing war in Ukraine; Trumpist Republicans seizing power in the U.S. midterms; a return of the “freedom” convoy protests. All of those things, and more, suggest instability for Middle Canada and the world — and therefore help Trudeau. Don’t change horses mid-stream, Trudeau will say — and particularly when the world is going to Hell in a handbasket. Mixed metaphor it may be, but it may just work, too.

8. Trudeau himself. Increasingly, governing bores him — witness, for instance, his seemingly never-ending vacationeering. But one thing Trudeau loves, and does well, is electioneering. He never, ever steps back from a fight. And he thinks he can beat Poilievre. So do Liberals.

9. Minority governments are always planning for elections: they have to. As my Sun colleague Brian Lilley has noted on my Kinsellacast podcast, the Grits would be crazy not to be getting ready. Besides, they’re united — and the Conservatives are still in the midst of the nastiest, most-divisive, leadership race ever. Don’t give them time to heal and reunite.

10. And finally: an election win gives Justin Trudeau what he covets most — a legacy. He may not eke out another majority, but no Prime Minister has won four elections in a row since Sir John A. Macdonald.

Is an election likely? Maybe not. Does Justin Trudeau fear one? Definitely not.

But the rest of us should be afraid.

Very afraid.

Link

2. Poilievre has one big strength: the economy. He’s been his party’s finance critic, and he’s got some Bay Street cred. More worrying, for the Liberals, is that Poilievre is starting to look like a prophet on the economic front: his criticisms of central bankers may have been right, and his laser-like focus on Trudeau’s failings fighting inflation bode well for Team Blue. Trudeau doesn’t want inflation/recession to become the ballot question. Because then he’ll lose.

3. The economy is heading into the ditch. With the exception of jobs, every key economic indicator is presently looking grim — and jobs will too, soon enough, with inflation worse than it has been for four decades. Trudeau and Co. need to get ahead of what may be the worst economic downturn since the 2008-2009 global economic crisis.

4. Besides: we may have slipped into a recession already. On Thursday, England’s central bank jacked interest rates to 1.75% — the biggest rate increase in many years. While such rate increases squeeze out inflation, they always risk tipping Western economies into recession. Which many economists quietly suggest we may be in already. Trudeau knows that recession isn’t conducive to re-election.

What would be truly scary is the current LPC forming government, again, after steering this country's economy into the ditch.

Trudeau and Poilievre are the “wrecking balls of Confederation”. Although I would add two nobodies, a conspiracy theorist and a retread from the 90’s who got no seats west of Winnipeg wouldn’t be great leaders either.

Unintended Consequences -

Scholz is currently in Canada to talk about energy, but not about the much-needed LNG intake that could help Germany wean itself off Russian gas.

Instead, Scholz and Prime Minister Trudeau are focussing on hydrogen technology that will take decades before it will be useful. There is little evidence that this plan, set in motion long before the Russian invasion of Ukraine changed the parameters of energy policy in Europe, has been adjusted in pace or scale.

Lack of natural gas on the east coast to ship .... or to convert into Hydrogen to ship.

Global sulphur shortage threatens food security and advancement of green technology, scientists warn​

More intensive agriculture and the world moving away from fossil fuels in order to deal with climate change will significantly reduce the production of fossil fuels and subsequently the supply of sulphur, researchers say.

AUGUST 22, 2022

Sulfur shortage: A potential resource crisis looming as the world decarbonises​

by University College London

Lack of Natural Gas to cleanly supply sulphur from sour gas wells. Sulphur is also harvested from oil and bitumen.

Trudeau Spars With Farmers on Climate Plan Risking Grain Output​

Canada wants to cut fertilizer emissions, but farmers say it could result in less food

Lack of Natural Gas to supply Anhydrous Ammonia for fertilizers.

Consequences

Germans freeze.
Everybody starves. - No nitrogen, no sulphur, no phosphorus, no carbon dioxide.
No electric cars - No sulphuric acid for batteries.

Open cast mines to dig up sulphur along with the lithium and other rare earths.
Fertilizing fields with human excrement which is rich in nitrogen and minerals - including sulphur - and worms and parasites.

And in related archaeological news

"One possibility is that the friars manured their vegetable gardens with human faeces, not unusual in the medieval period, and this may have led to repeated infection with the worms," said Mitchell.

How green is my valley?

So the next question is: How bright are Trudeau's Spinners?

How do they get the Canadian voters, the Liberal ones in particular, to follow him as he reverses course to return to the Green Revolution of the 1960s that has all but eliminated famine - due to science, genetics and hydrocarbons?

My guess is that Scholz is part of an opportunity if not a plan.

If Trudeau can convince people that Hydrogen from Natural Gas is the way of the future then maybe he can build a pipeline, and refineries, in Quebec ... and still get re-elected.

Nevermind that although the technology is proven the scale of manufacture is miniscule and storage and transportation are works in progress that may take a decade or two to solve.

Stage one would be to build a natural gas highway to the east coast and LNG terminals.
Stage 1A would be to build a Pilot Hydrogen refinery and storage facility to test technologies.

This would permit Natural Gas to be sold to the voter as a source of Hydrogen, as well as Sulphur and Anhydrous Ammonia necessary for producing food and batteries. Heck, with a bit of imagination it could also be used to produce clean CO2 to be sold to farmers to enhance their crops.

One area I am familiar with is fishmeal plants. They are plants where fish are processed into protein meals and fish oil. In the past they were called fish oil plants. The same technology was used on whales to produce whale oil for lamps and is used to produce lard and tallow for food.

With the advent of mineral oils the need for animal oils diminished. The fish oil plants were no longer profitable and the supply of cheap protein, a byproduct of the oil production, dried up as they went out of business. Those exact same plants, processing the exact same raw material, found new opportunities when the lack of protein drove the price of protein higher. They were rebranded as meal plants and oil was the byproduct. Cheap enough to burn as a fuel to manufacture the meal.

It is all in the marketing.

Unintended Consequences -

Lack of natural gas on the east coast to ship .... or to convert into Hydrogen to ship.

Lack of Natural Gas to cleanly supply sulphur from sour gas wells. Sulphur is also harvested from oil and bitumen.

Lack of Natural Gas to supply Anhydrous Ammonia for fertilizers.

Consequences

Germans freeze.
Everybody starves. - No nitrogen, no sulphur, no phosphorus, no carbon dioxide.
No electric cars - No sulphuric acid for batteries.

Open cast mines to dig up sulphur along with the lithium and other rare earths.
Fertilizing fields with human excrement which is rich in nitrogen and minerals - including sulphur - and worms and parasites.

And in related archaeological news

How green is my valley?

So the next question is: How bright are Trudeau's Spinners?

How do they get the Canadian voters, the Liberal ones in particular, to follow him as he reverses course to return to the Green Revolution of the 1960s that has all but eliminated famine - due to science, genetics and hydrocarbons?

My guess is that Scholz is part of an opportunity if not a plan.

If Trudeau can convince people that Hydrogen from Natural Gas is the way of the future then maybe he can build a pipeline, and refineries, in Quebec ... and still get re-elected.

Nevermind that although the technology is proven the scale of manufacture is miniscule and storage and transportation are works in progress that may take a decade or two to solve.

Stage one would be to build a natural gas highway to the east coast and LNG terminals.
Stage 1A would be to build a Pilot Hydrogen refinery and storage facility to test technologies.

This would permit Natural Gas to be sold to the voter as a source of Hydrogen, as well as Sulphur and Anhydrous Ammonia necessary for producing food and batteries. Heck, with a bit of imagination it could also be used to produce clean CO2 to be sold to farmers to enhance their crops.

One area I am familiar with is fishmeal plants. They are plants where fish are processed into protein meals and fish oil. In the past they were called fish oil plants. The same technology was used on whales to produce whale oil for lamps and is used to produce lard and tallow for food.

With the advent of mineral oils the need for animal oils diminished. The fish oil plants were no longer profitable and the supply of cheap protein, a byproduct of the oil production, dried up as they went out of business. Those exact same plants, processing the exact same raw material, found new opportunities when the lack of protein drove the price of protein higher. They were rebranded as meal plants and oil was the byproduct. Cheap enough to burn as a fuel to manufacture the meal.

It is all in the marketing.

Trudeau is a sock puppet for the Liberals, of course.

My guess is that they're throwing a 'hydrogen bone' to the (insanely green focused) German public as a way to excuse the massive uptick in Canadian hydrocarbon imports that will be required to help them survive without Russian supplies.

Trudeau is a sock puppet for the Liberals, of course.

My guess is that they're throwing a 'hydrogen bone' to the (insanely green focused) German public as a way to excuse the massive uptick in Canadian hydrocarbon imports that will be required to help them survive without Russian supplies.

Except that it is the German Green party that is calling for pragmatism

Their leader has been one of the loudest voices calling for Germany to ship weapons to Ukraine, support sanctions, keep nuclear power plants open, reopen domestic gas fields with fracking and even reopen coal plants to get Germany through the winter(s) without Russian gas.

And Scholz is less popular than Trudeau and Biden and may be on his way out. The Green position has the support of about 70% of the German population.

Justin and Jacinda are increasingly fading along with Scholz.

If there is a hydrogen bone being thrown I suspect it is being thrown to Canada's Liberal greens.

Germans are nothing if not pragmatic. They have their principles. They also have their savings and a penchant for lots of comfort food.

Except that it is the German Green party that is calling for pragmatism

Their leader has been one of the loudest voices calling for Germany to ship weapons to Ukraine, support sanctions, keep nuclear power plants open, reopen domestic gas fields with fracking and even reopen coal plants to get Germany through the winter(s) without Russian gas.

And Scholz is less popular than Trudeau and Biden and may be on his way out. The Green position has the support of about 70% of the German population.

Justin and Jacinda are increasingly fading along with Scholz.

If there is a hydrogen bone being thrown I suspect it is being thrown to Canada's Liberal greens.

Germans are nothing if not pragmatic. They have their principles. They also have their savings and a penchant for lots of comfort food.
Two minor points:

1. I don't think @daftandbarmy was talking about Germany's The Green PartyTM. I don't mean to say you didn't get that, since you did subsequently use the formula ''Canada's Liberal greens''. I'm just unsure what meaning you're assigning to ''green/greens''.

2. I wouldn't pay much for German pragmatism. They replaced nuclear with coal. And came up with Wunderwaffen.

Two minor points:

1. I don't think @daftandbarmy was talking about Germany's The Green PartyTM. I don't mean to say you didn't get that, since you did subsequently use the formula ''Canada's Liberal greens''. I'm just unsure what meaning you're assigning to ''green/greens''.

2. I wouldn't pay much for German pragmatism. They replaced nuclear with coal. And came up with Wunderwaffen.

Yes, Germany's 'Green Problem' is a thing espoused by all three parties vying for the support of a thoroughly Green Washed electorate:

The catch with Germany’s green transformation​

Incoming government’s coalition deal foresees decarbonization of Europe’s economic engine, but that’s easier said than done.

The three parties aiming to form the next German government just announced one of the most ambitious transitions away from fossil fuels in the world.

But there’s a dirty reality to Wednesday’s headline pledges of “ideally” ending coal use by 2030, scrapping combustion engine cars by 2035 and aligning all government policies with the goal of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees — Germany will continue to rely on natural gas and nuclear power for many years.

The coalition agreement among the Social Democratic Party (SPD), Free Democrats (FDP) and the Greens lays out the priorities for the next German government, and climate is key.

Two minor points:

Let's say that 70% of Germans are pragmatists.

How much energy in, and how much energy out?

This is funny.

Feds cut funding for anti-racism project over 'vile' tweets

Liberals hire some racist guy for an anti-racism project. $133K

Racist guy makes racist comments and gets fired.

Surprised Pikachu face Diversity Minister Ahmed Hussen "calls on CMAC, an organization claiming to fight racism and hate in Canada to answer to how they came to hire Laith Marouf, and how they plan on rectifying the situation given the nature of his antisemitic and xenophobic comments.”

Diversity Minister Ahmed Hussen doesn't realize CMAC is apparently operated by 2 people, Mr Racist and his wife.

Some gem quotes from the anti-racisim organization that the government hired.

“You know all those loud mouthed bags of human feces, a.k.a. the Jewish White Supremacists; when we liberate Palestine and they have to go back to where they come from, they will return to being low voiced bitches of thier (sic) Christian/Secular White Supremacist Masters.”

“Colin Powell, the Jamaican house-slave of the Empire who extinguished the lives of millions of people with his lies, died a painful death unable to breath (sic). If there was any good that came from this pandemic, it would be his death on the birthday of the prophet of Islam,”

“I have a motto: Life is too short for shoes with laces, or for entertaining Jewish White Supremacists with anything but a bullet to the head.”

“lol, I think Frogs have much less IQ than 77, and French is an ugly language.”

So, GoC: convince me you don't make decisions based on names and titles that sound pleasing.

This is funny.

Feds cut funding for anti-racism project over 'vile' tweets

Liberals hire some racist guy for an anti-racism project. $133K

Racist guy makes racist comments and gets fired.

Surprised Pikachu face Diversity Minister Ahmed Hussen "calls on CMAC, an organization claiming to fight racism and hate in Canada to answer to how they came to hire Laith Marouf, and how they plan on rectifying the situation given the nature of his antisemitic and xenophobic comments.”

Diversity Minister Ahmed Hussen doesn't realize CMAC is apparently operated by 2 people, Mr Racist and his wife.

Some gem quotes from the anti-racisim organization that the government hired.

Oh FFS...

done adam sandler GIF

Back