• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

Is PM Trudeau’s Liberal leadership at risk?​

Here is what CTV's New commentators had to say.

I would bet the voters will forgive the Liberal party very quickly if they drop Trudeau and tack away from current and add tiny bit of old fashion Liberal pragmatism.

It would be very easy for the party to blame any policy with negative polling on "crazy" Trudeau. Say cut the carbon tax...but still keep it would work etc.

I would bet the voters will forgive the Liberal party very quickly if they drop Trudeau and tack away from current and add tiny bit of old fashion Liberal pragmatism.

It would be very easy for the party to blame any policy with negative polling on "crazy" Trudeau. Say cut the carbon tax...but still keep it would work etc.
I think you just cracked the LPC Re-election plan for late 2024....

I think you just cracked the LPC Re-election plan for late 2024....
except the logistics of identifying a new leader, getting her/him in place and publicly accepted in the time remaining would be problematic at best. You would have to ensure that Jagmeet stayed bought whilst reversing some of the decisions made to keep him in line in the first place. Perhaps better to convince him to pull the plug now and accept 4 years in purgatory whilst rebuilding the brand from the ground up. This place is so badly pooched that the decisions that are needed to be made by the cons will not be well accepted. But if the libs pull off a change over now they are the ones who will have to make the dirty decisions and that would put them in purgatory for a long time

except the logistics of identifying a new leader, getting her/him in place and publicly accepted in the time remaining would be problematic at best. You would have to ensure that Jagmeet stayed bought whilst reversing some of the decisions made to keep him in line in the first place. Perhaps better to convince him to pull the plug now and accept 4 years in purgatory whilst rebuilding the brand from the ground up. This place is so badly pooched that the decisions that are needed to be made by the cons will not be well accepted. But if the libs pull off a change over now they are the ones who will have to make the dirty decisions and that would put them in purgatory for a long time

Yes the Liberal bench is a little bare at the moment. Trudeau has run out the "blue" liberal and the old guard. The party is full of the true believers. But I'm sure in the cottages in Muskoka and Quebec, and the beaches of Florida a plan is being made. The two front runners Freeland and Carney both have too baggage.

But the Liberals could pull it off they have two years about. Jagmeet will stay bought as he has no choice, the party is broke and he knows he has just the time till the next election to remain in control and on the national stage.

Yes the Liberal bench is a little bare at the moment. Trudeau has run out the "blue" liberal and the old guard. The party is full of the true believers. But I'm sure in the cottages in Muskoka and Quebec, and the beaches of Florida a plan is being made. The two front runners Freeland and Carney both have too baggage.

But the Liberals could pull it off they have two years about. Jagmeet will stay bought as he has no choice, the party is broke and he knows he has just the time till the next election to remain in control and on the national stage.
There are a few that could in theory replace Trudeau. My choice would be Anita Anand. Not sure the Liberals would be smart enough to pick her though…

There are a few that could in theory replace Trudeau. My choice would be Anita Anand. Not sure the Liberals would be smart enough to pick her though…
-Competent
-Female
-First Generation Canadian of Indian heritage
-Born and raised in Kenville, NS and represents a key GTA riding
-Well connected with our international partners and allies
-Not from the "Laurentian Elite"

All are strikes against her in the eyes of the current LPC leadership, but might be the thing that saves the Party.

I think that Trudeau loyalists would sewer any potential leadership contenders who are not 'Team Trudeau true believers" quite quickly. Also, it's important to not discount the celebrity factor. Trudeau may be unpopular as PM, but he is still popular as a celebrity, as noted in the interview linked at reply #1740, above. People will easily forgive celebrities they like.

I think that Trudeau loyalists would sewer any potential leadership contenders who are not 'Team Trudeau true believers" quite quickly. Also, it's important to not discount the celebrity factor. Trudeau may be unpopular as PM, but he is still popular as a celebrity, as noted in the interview linked at reply #1740, above. People will easily forgive celebrities they like.
Points taken. But I think the celebrity aura has worn off save for the die yards.

I think the party can be forgiven but it starts with a leadership refresh if it is to be taken seriously.

Will be interesting to hear how they explain their vote to their constituents, particularly those who heat with natural gas, are looking at huge increases in mortgage payments especially since the premiers are both united and vocal on this one issue

A lot of those people in the 905 heat their homes with natural gas - a net negative for the Liberals.

Conversely many of the people in the 905 have personal stakes in issues related to Gaza, Khalistan and Beijing .... And their alternatives are Trudeau's Liberals and Poilievre's Conservatives.

Natural gas rates are still pretty good compared to a couple of decades ago.

Closer to the root of the injustice is that different homeowners in different regions will have different cost pressures. Home heating is only one of them. Home heating with oil is a particular subset of that. Choosing one tiny thing and giving only those people a tax break is foolish and unjust policy, although it might be effective politics if it solidifies votes - and Atlantic Canada is often a source of LPC seats. But it's a sh!tty you-don't-matter gesture to everyone else when it's done with such obvious political exigency.

My prediction remains that this brand of liberals will go the kathleen Wynne way of self destruction ...
Big difference: at least she dropped out (pretty much at the last second, but still ...) when she realized she was the problem. We'll see how long it takes for Team Red's Ottawa franchise - although I agree with those saying the celebrity aura's going to cause the last ones in the bunker to hang on for a while.

Natural gas rates are still pretty good compared to a couple of decades ago.

Closer to the root of the injustice is that different homeowners in different regions will have different cost pressures. Home heating is only one of them. Home heating with oil is a particular subset of that. Choosing one tiny thing and giving only those people a tax break is foolish and unjust policy, although it might be effective politics if it solidifies votes - and Atlantic Canada is often a source of LPC seats. But it's a sh!tty you-don't-matter gesture to everyone else when it's done with such obvious political exigency.
The solution to equal treatment across the country from this government was articulated by Rural Economic Development Minister Gudie Hutchings. Vote for the Liberals.

Back